Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-05-16, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Benedictine Football 2017

For the 1st time in a few years the program has more questions than answers. Fasten your seatbelts, its could be another bumpy year.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-16, 12:59 PM
Varsity

ene456 is on a distinguished road
2017 Schedule? Has it Been Released?
Old 12-07-16, 08:47 AM
All Ohio

Findy15 is on a distinguished road
...and away we go!!!
Old 12-11-16, 12:27 PM
All Region

CleBen is on a distinguished road
I heard that the schedule in effect remains the same. All the home games in 2016 are now away games and the away games in 2016 are now home games in 2017. I don't know if the NCL schedule gets reshuffled this year.
Old 12-11-16, 05:17 PM
Junior Varsity

ElvisPresley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBen View Post
I heard that the schedule in effect remains the same. All the home games in 2016 are now away games and the away games in 2016 are now home games in 2017. I don't know if the NCL schedule gets reshuffled this year.
Benedictine will (or maybe already has) have to find someone to replace Padua right?

Elvis
Old 12-11-16, 07:17 PM
All Ohio

ora et labora is on a distinguished road
On the Q.T. - Padua is not leaving the NCL. St. Joseph Academy and SVSM are joining. No Mooney or Ursuline.
Old 12-11-16, 08:27 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ora et labora View Post
On the Q.T. - Padua is not leaving the NCL. St. Joseph Academy and SVSM are joining. No Mooney or Ursuline.
Good to hear SVSM is joining. Were Mooney and Ursuline not offered invites, or did they both decline?
Old 12-11-16, 09:30 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
Good to hear SVSM is joining. Were Mooney and Ursuline not offered invites, or did they both decline?
Both declined, they wanted to be football only. NCL said that all entrants must compete in all sports. SJA and SVSM were the only two to accept.
Old 12-11-16, 09:43 PM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Both declined, they wanted to be football only. NCL said that all entrants must compete in all sports. SJA and SVSM were the only two to accept.
I'll ask around on this one.

If someone beats me to it, go for it and let us know.
Old 12-11-16, 10:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
I'll ask around on this one.

If someone beats me to it, go for it and let us know.
Ran into two AD's from NCL schools at dinner Saturday night who confirmed this.
Old 12-12-16, 01:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Kind of interesting that SJA is entering the NCL but not Magnificat. SJA is developing a nice athletic program and is pulling a lot of girls in from the south side of the County who don't want the Mags drama. They made the final four in volleyball and their hoops team is also strong, nice pick up for the girls side and it solidifies their position as the premier volleyball conference in the state. SVSM is a no brainer and I am shocked that this has not happened sooner. As for Mooney and Ursuline I think travel was the hang up. Valley Christian just got accepted to the Portage Trail Conference and they cited travel as the reason they are leaving the NCL. It will be just a matter of time before Warren JFK bolts too. My guess is the smaller schools try to pull back in Holy Name and maybe 1 other to beef up their Division.
Old 12-12-16, 04:18 PM
All Ohio

I think that Magnificat's relationship with St Ignatius kept them out of this deal.
Old 12-12-16, 05:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I can see why they'd want to have all schools compete as all-sports members, but I would let them have that arrangement if I were the NCL.

Also interesting is that SVSM didn't ask for the same considering their ultra-competitive basketball schedule. This locks them in to, what, a dozen league games now?
Old 12-12-16, 05:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBen View Post
With SVSM joining the NCL, they will move to the Blue division and NDCL will drop down to the White to replace Valley Christian who over the weekend, accepted the offer to join the PTC.
Old 12-12-16, 05:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I can see why they'd want to have all schools compete as all-sports members, but I would let them have that arrangement if I were the NCL.

Also interesting is that SVSM didn't ask for the same considering their ultra-competitive basketball schedule. This locks them in to, what, a dozen league games now?
In the near term the only weak teams in hoops are Padua & NDCL. Benny, Hoban, and Walsh are already on the schedule and Lake is going to be solid for some time in basketball. Maybe with the addition of SVSM the NCL only has 1 league game per season?
Old 12-12-16, 05:54 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

10 league games with NDCL moving down into the White division.
Old 12-12-16, 06:01 PM
All Ohio

NCL BLUE
Benedictine
Hoban
Lake Catholic
Padua
SVSM
Walsh Jesuit

NCL WHITE
Cleveland Central Catholic
NDCL
St. Thomas Aquinas
Trinty
VASJ
Warren JFK
Old 12-13-16, 05:24 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
It will be just a matter of time before Warren JFK bolts too. My guess is the smaller schools try to pull back in Holy Name and maybe 1 other to beef up their Division.
If JFK and STA leave because of travel, bring back Holy Name and Elyria Catholic. That would give you: HN, EC, VASJ, CCC, NDCL, & Trinity in the white division. Not to bad for travel.
Old 12-13-16, 06:13 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
NCL BLUE
Benedictine
Hoban
Lake Catholic
Padua
SVSM
Walsh Jesuit

NCL WHITE
Cleveland Central Catholic
NDCL
St. Thomas Aquinas
Trinty
VASJ
Warren JFK
If this is how it appears..NCL should host a league tournament for basketball. That would be epic!
Old 12-13-16, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
If this is how it appears..NCL should host a league tournament for basketball. That would be epic!
Not too bad historically in football either. Or wrestling and baseball.

But the best sport is volleyball; the league is a powerhouse in that sport. Something like 10 of the last 11 Div 2 title winners are from the NCL and it is not like only 1 or 2 schools dominate, 4 schools have won titles in that span and many times the final four features two teams from the NCL. Add in Div I final four participant SJA and it gets even tougher.
Old 12-21-16, 11:55 AM
All Ohio

Click image for larger version

Name:	christmas 2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	1402
Old 12-21-16, 07:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
NCL BLUE
Benedictine
Hoban
Lake Catholic
Padua
SVSM
Walsh Jesuit
I like this lineup. Few leagues/divisions in the state have more total trophies.
Old 12-21-16, 08:15 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
8/25/2017 A Youngstown Ursuline
9/1/2017 H Akron Buchtel
9/8/2017 H Cleveland Heights
9/15/2017 A Erie Cathedral Preparatory
9/22/2017 H Columbus Bishop Watterson
9/29/2017 A Chardon Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin
10/6/2017 H Mentor Lake Catholic
10/13/2017 H Parma Padua Franciscan
10/20/2017 A Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit
10/27/2017 H Akron Archbishop Hoban
Old 12-29-16, 09:45 AM
Freshman

fatoldbengal is on a distinguished road
Saw old man Stircula leaning on the wall at a game I went to recently. Did he ever pay back the money he owed for giving out basketball scholarships the last time his kid was a coach? I heard he owed thousands and that's why his kid resigned his position the last time
Old 12-29-16, 11:13 AM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Kind of interesting that SJA is entering the NCL but not Magnificat. SJA is developing a nice athletic program and is pulling a lot of girls in from the south side of the County who don't want the Mags drama. They made the final four in volleyball and their hoops team is also strong, nice pick up for the girls side and it solidifies their position as the premier volleyball conference in the state. SVSM is a no brainer and I am shocked that this has not happened sooner. As for Mooney and Ursuline I think travel was the hang up. Valley Christian just got accepted to the Portage Trail Conference and they cited travel as the reason they are leaving the NCL. It will be just a matter of time before Warren JFK bolts too. My guess is the smaller schools try to pull back in Holy Name and maybe 1 other to beef up their Division.
Hoban and Walsh always voted against them.

I agree with Bennie in that I wish they'd let Mooney and Ursuline in for football. I think other schools in the Blue Division didn't want to play them for football and used the "all or nothing" excuse to disguise their real reason. Look at the schools that played them one contract, then wouldn't renew. Too stiff competition. Just my opinion.

Even with the league schedule, SVSM should be able to scheule a good number of other teams for basketball.
Old 01-18-17, 03:40 PM
All District

TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
More Coaches leave this year. There aren't many coaches left on the staff at Benedictine. The HC, The OC, & 1 position coach are left. The freshman coaches are back. Big shoes to fill.
Old 01-18-17, 03:57 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
SJA is an interesting place at the moment. Except for their endowment (which is pretty weak), the school is really firing on all cylinders. They are at peak capacity. They draw a terrific mix of girls from the entire economic spectrum. They still rely heavily on the Irish community that resides along RR Drive in Cleveland (Mark's, OLA). But, you're right...increasing numbers of girls from the south and southwest...good numbers from the Catholic schools in the urban core as well (SIOA, Urban).

Sports is a big part of the story. SJA has been serious about rowing for about 5 years and is probably the best girls' scholastic team in the state. The rowing program draws girls from all over the metro area...not a lot from out the usual area, but, a half dozen girls from good demographics, places like Gates Mills, Brecksville, etc., coming there to row, paying full tuition; that makes a difference. SJA is also without a real competitor in rugby...that draws a few girls as well.
Old 01-20-17, 04:53 PM
All American

bluengold
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
SJA is an interesting place at the moment. Except for their endowment (which is pretty weak), the school is really firing on all cylinders. They are at peak capacity. They draw a terrific mix of girls from the entire economic spectrum. They still rely heavily on the Irish community that resides along RR Drive in Cleveland (Mark's, OLA). But, you're right...increasing numbers of girls from the south and southwest...good numbers from the Catholic schools in the urban core as well (SIOA, Urban).

Sports is a big part of the story. SJA has been serious about rowing for about 5 years and is probably the best girls' scholastic team in the state. The rowing program draws girls from all over the metro area...not a lot from out the usual area, but, a half dozen girls from good demographics, places like Gates Mills, Brecksville, etc., coming there to row, paying full tuition; that makes a difference. SJA is also without a real competitor in rugby...that draws a few girls as well.
Agree with the comments about SJA.

In addition to what’s been stated, volleyball had their 1st district title in ’15 and followed that up with a regional title and final 4 appearance in ’16. Cross country has been a strong program for a number of years, including competing at the states. Basketball is a good program.

On the academic side, SJA had its highest # ever for AP Scholars last year and have 8 National Merit Scholars this school year. They have a health sciences honors program, a pre-engineering program, their Makerspace innovation area, and are moving towards accreditation in the IB Middle Years program.
SJA has been catching up with Magnificat on enrollment and I believe have a bigger freshwomen class (206) this year.

When we first became involved at SJA ~20 years ago when our daughter enrolled there, one could see the potential upside and SJA was starting take off even then. Twenty years later, SJA is firing on all cylinders, as you say. Not only do they market themselves superbly, what is accomplished there and the outcome – the young women that are educated at and graduate from SJA – is really impressive.

I think the endowment picture will improve. The number of families involved in contributing to their endowment appears to be increasing. SJA has some well-connected and high-powered alumna, parents and friends on its Board and that certainly should ultimately translate to an increased endowment.

For the NCL girls’ sports, SJA could end up being the major ‘force’ to deal with as their enrollment is 30% higher than Walsh and 75 to 100% higher than the girls’ enrollment at any other NCL school.
Old 01-20-17, 05:58 PM
All District

TBone 22 is on a distinguished road
...and St Joe's Girls Academy matters on a Benedictine football site because why?
There are 3 coaches left on the Varsity Football Staff! THREE!
Who are the new coaches going to be????

I bet the Benedictine basketball team would beat St Joe's by 100.
See how that makes no sense??
Old 01-20-17, 09:06 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
SJA president is a top-notch person and business leader and likely a big reason for growth at the school.

Her brothers coached football at Ignatius and I used to run into her at various Ignatius athletic events back in the day, prior to her taking over at SJA after a successful business career. Perhaps those experiences have shown her the value in athletics as a method of stirring up alumni involvement.