Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-20-17, 06:56 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
People also wonder why Joe's is solid year in and year out - come see the games in open gym. All the greats come back and most importantly GIVE back. Who will Alonzo play in the high school season as good as Pardon and Bragg. The best thing is you don't have to ask these kids to come back and do this - they want to.
Old 03-21-17, 11:18 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Higgins named 1st team DIII All-Ohio; Gaffney named 2nd team, and McGarry named Honorable Mention. Congratulations to the players, their teammates, and their coaches.

http://vasjvikings.com/2017/03/21/va...-also-honored/
Old 03-23-17, 12:08 PM
All Ohio

Very nice article about Babe and Papa Kwas.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ather-and-son/
Old 03-23-17, 05:05 PM
All American

SirStanley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
Very nice article about Babe and Papa Kwas.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...ather-and-son/
Wonderful article. A great high school basketball story. Really enjoy taking my own son to Columbus for the state finals, and I hope he gets great memories from them the way this family has (though nothing beats having your own team there).
Old 03-23-17, 08:03 PM
All Ohio

Papa Kwasniak feeling the love. He's a terrific guy.

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...career-at-vasj
Old 03-23-17, 09:16 PM
All American

Good Luck Vikings - see you in the AM.
Old 03-25-17, 06:06 PM
All Region

James x2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats #7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go boys.Way to gut out the victory.
Old 03-25-17, 10:58 PM
All American

Great Game, Great Win against a Great opponent.
Old 03-26-17, 11:29 AM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Congradulations VASJ State Champs for the 7th time baby!

Old 03-26-17, 11:34 AM
Junior Varsity

Norton21 is on a distinguished road
Nice job vasj! Congratulations
Old 03-26-17, 12:34 PM
Junior Varsity

jlghoops is on a distinguished road
I was at the title game yesterday and I am dying for Bball216 to answer a question for me. Who exactly coaches this team, because if you watched the entire title game it certainly isnt the head coach or the assistants! Some dude in grey sweats and a blue tshirt would work his way from behind the cheerleaders at each timeout and coach! We spent the entire game watching this and wondering how the OHSAA let that go. There were pictures on twitter of dude in the huddle while the coaches chatted about if candlesticks are a good wedding present or not.

Please bball216, enlighten us to exactly what is going on? And whatever you do, dont tell me it is common practice all over Ohio. I saw 50 plus games this year and every game in Columbus this weekend and only VASJ has a crowd sourced sweat pants coach!
Old 03-26-17, 01:15 PM
All American

He is a member of the coaching staff. He works mainly with the guards. I do not think he is a paid coach this season. He coached the JVs the last few years. He was not some fan out of the stands. He has a very good relationship with Higgins and has really helped him. But don't think for a moment that Babe is not the coach. He takes a lot of advise from his uber talentd staff - but he is the coach.
Old 03-26-17, 02:15 PM
Junior Varsity

He was a fan out of the stands! He stood behind cheerleaders or on steps by students except during timeouts. Jackson had 7 coaches on the floor, VASJ did not have seven, so they certainly could have gotten him a seat at the table! Could he at least dress like a coach? We figured he was someones AAU coach, but it does look a bit funny when he walks to court when whistle blows and coaches that slides back to the crowd.

Either way it made a fairly unwatchable game, watchable. We had something to laugh about for once yesterday. Other than the D1 final, there really was not a well played championship game.
Old 03-26-17, 03:54 PM
All American

Don't ask me and then tell me who he was. I can assure you he is a coach on the staff.
Old 03-26-17, 04:25 PM
Junior Varsity

Then why wasn't he on the bench? I know everything is sunshine and roses at VASJ, but there is more to this story, you just don't want the public to know what it is. I have gone to 30 state tourneys and thousands of games and have never seen a situation like that. Tons of teams have unpaid coaches on their benches at the state tourney. Nobody has a guy in sweats and a t-shirt coming from behind the cheerleaders during timeouts to coach.
Old 03-26-17, 04:27 PM
Varsity

tndog is on a distinguished road
lack of a pupil activity permit, possibly??????????
Old 03-26-17, 06:37 PM
Junior Varsity

vikingsforever is an unknown quantity at this point
He is a coach. Got it.
Old 03-27-17, 02:50 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlghoops View Post
Then why wasn't he on the bench? I know everything is sunshine and roses at VASJ, but there is more to this story, you just don't want the public to know what it is. I have gone to 30 state tourneys and thousands of games and have never seen a situation like that. Tons of teams have unpaid coaches on their benches at the state tourney. Nobody has a guy in sweats and a t-shirt coming from behind the cheerleaders during timeouts to coach.
As several people have said, the guy is a coach.
I realize you might not get out much and aren't aware how quality coaching staffs operate but time outs aren't just for the players, they are for the coaches too. So yeah, the players can get a drink of water and hear the usual stuff, "play strong, don't let them penetrate, blah, blah, blah" and then the other coaches can discuss what plays and match ups and adjustments they should go to. I am glad you were entertained but it's not that complicated.
Old 03-27-17, 06:07 AM
Junior Varsity

I totally believe he is a coach, but no other school has a "coach" coming out of crowd to coach. Put some khaki pants and a golf shirt on and sit on the bench. Let's just say what we all know...he is someones AAU coach and basically the boys wont play if he isn't involved.
Old 03-27-17, 10:11 AM
Freshman

VASJalumni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I totally believe he is a coach, but no other school has a "coach" coming out of crowd to coach. Put some khaki pants and a golf shirt on and sit on the bench. Let's just say what we all know...he is someones AAU coach and basically the boys wont play if he isn't involved.
What is the point of asking a question in this thread if your not going to believe our answers? Here is what happened. There were no more seats on the bench for him. VASJ had seven coaches on their bench and had no more room for him. So sitting in the chairs by the cheerleaders was the next closest thing. He also had on the blue ribbon that signified that he was a member of the coaching staff. As for him not dressing up, I believe that he has done this every time VASJ has won and is superstitious about it. Also, in an article they mentioned how Gene was working on moves and situations before the game with him. So you can you can assume you know what is going on but you don't. This is different and awkward. It is not normal at all but this is the truth. I can guarantee that.
Old 03-27-17, 10:14 AM
Freshman

VASJalumni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And before you say VASJ didn't have seven coaches, I will name them all for you.

Babe Kwasniak
Tedd Kwasniak
Rich Newlon
Ashen Ward
Gary Wilson
Maurice Haynes
Anthony Turk

Last edited by VASJalumni; 03-27-17 at 10:14 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-27-17, 10:26 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
For the VASJ people...it might help if this mysterious person had a name attached to him.
Old 03-27-17, 10:43 AM
All Yappi

BTW...one man's opinion...

Isn't 7 about 3 or 4 too many? No criticism intended for Coach K (because it appears to be a trend), but talk about too many cooks in the kitchen. When Sean O'Toole coached Ignatius, he appeared to have about the same number of coaches as he did players.

Back in the 70's/80's, there was a head coach, and a JV coach....MAYBE a varsity assistant. The freshman coach sat in the stands...and stayed there. I don't sense that basketball is better or more complex today than it was 30 years ago.
Old 03-27-17, 11:02 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASJalumni View Post
What is the point of asking a question in this thread if your not going to believe our answers? Here is what happened. There were no more seats on the bench for him. VASJ had seven coaches on their bench and had no more room for him. So sitting in the chairs by the cheerleaders was the next closest thing. He also had on the blue ribbon that signified that he was a member of the coaching staff. As for him not dressing up, I believe that he has done this every time VASJ has won and is superstitious about it. Also, in an article they mentioned how Gene was working on moves and situations before the game with him. So you can you can assume you know what is going on but you don't. This is different and awkward. It is not normal at all but this is the truth. I can guarantee that.
OK, I am fully enlightened and again "I do believe he is a coach" as for the rest of your answer I have one comment and one question...
1. Dress like you have been there before, I don't want to hear about superstition. I get that suits and even ties are less frequent, but sweats and a t-shirt (that is what you wear to coach aau games)
2. So you have 8 coaches and 7 seats. How is it that the guy that doesn't get a seat did the most coaching? Sounds to me like a couple guys should be giving up their seats to this superstitious sweat pants wearing basketball mastermind.
Old 03-27-17, 12:20 PM
All Yappi

I got a kick out of Babe's post game interview when he referenced that "north of the Boulevard toughness".

A lot of truth that...
Old 03-27-17, 12:43 PM
All District

22 Acacia Ave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OK, I am fully enlightened and again "I do believe he is a coach" as for the rest of your answer I have one comment and one question...
1. Dress like you have been there before, I don't want to hear about superstition. I get that suits and even ties are less frequent, but sweats and a t-shirt (that is what you wear to coach aau games)
2. So you have 8 coaches and 7 seats. How is it that the guy that doesn't get a seat did the most coaching? Sounds to me like a couple guys should be giving up their seats to this superstitious sweat pants wearing basketball mastermind.
Love it!

Old 03-27-17, 01:37 PM
All District

clueless is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsforever View Post
He is a coach. Got it.
If I may ask, what is the gentleman's name?
Old 03-27-17, 02:40 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless View Post
If I may ask, what is the gentleman's name?
http://www.vasj.com/rollie-smith-99-...ys-hoops-staff
Old 03-27-17, 03:23 PM
All American

Bengal Nation is on a distinguished road
Congrats to our brothers in the Viking Village from MLK Blvd!!!
Old 03-27-17, 03:38 PM
All American

Bengal Nation is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if former Viking coach Bob "the Baron" Straub is still alive? I remember going to several games in the 70's and watched him get so mad that he repeatedly kick the back of the bleachers hard enough that everyone in the gym could hear. Seriously old school!