Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-16-17, 05:48 PM
All Region

James x2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
There will be no convincing VASJ fans that they're not competing against their peers on their way to racking up titles. To them, the fact that their school's enrollment is the same size and that a few of their players can, in theory, walk to school, means that they are justified in pounding these 6' and under farm teams on their way to banners. To everyone else, the talent gap is obvious, and they really don't belong in Division III.
Who cares what you think.I have love for your school as I have a good life long friend who is an alumni of Bennies.Hell I drove to Massilon to root them on against Stuebenville back in the Ray Williams ? days.No offense just stating the obvious how you troll our threads.

Last edited by 111411; 03-18-17 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-16-17, 05:53 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Nice moment for Derek Pardon at the foul line making the clutch free throws! Congrats
Old 03-16-17, 06:02 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
BENNIE you are just a basher. There is no theory - its the truth. You only post the truth when it benefits you. Maybe your still upset that your Bengals got knocked out by CCC - a team from the tough basketball side of the NCL. Take a look at the public school and lesser talented privates that your football team has beat up on in the last 10 years or so. Pretty hypercritical that you accuse Joe's of the same thing your football team does.

What you people do not say is that VASJ has ZERO control over what division they are in. They play where the OHSAA tells them to play. Joe's will do just fine in D2 - if they even move up. They are a middle of the pack D3 school so even with the CBP - they might stay D3. Last year several teams had the chance to beat Joe's. They had zero business beating Beachwood - but they did. They beat them with heart, hustle and coaching - not elite talent. Beachwood was the team with elite talent - still did not matter.
Old 03-16-17, 09:16 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Tired of your bashing.Waiting for your blowhard response.You will side with anything OR anyone anti VASJ.Whats your school doing Sat?
What "my" school does is irrelevant. Why not address the actual argument?

Quote:
Who cares what you think.I have love for your school as I have a good life long friend who is an alumni of Bennies.Hell I drove to Massilon to root them on against Stuebenville back in the Ray Williams ? days.But you are some kind of jag off. No offense just stating the obvious how you troll our threads.
You seem to care enough to respond...twice even.
Old 03-16-17, 09:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
BENNIE you are just a basher. There is no theory - its the truth. You only post the truth when it benefits you. Maybe your still upset that your Bengals got knocked out by CCC - a team from the tough basketball side of the NCL. Take a look at the public school and lesser talented privates that your football team has beat up on in the last 10 years or so. Pretty hypercritical that you accuse Joe's of the same thing your football team does.
Again, this is not about Benedictine. But I will say this, I have openly stated several times that Benedictine should not be DIII for football. However, Benedictine beat Mooney, Steubenville, and Alter in '14 to win it all, meaning 60% of their playoff games on the way to their title were against legitimate, powerhouse programs. Not sure VASJ can say the same of any of the titles they have won in hoops, at least not recently.

In regards to CCC, sure, they knocked us out of the district, but please remember, the next best team at your district this year wasn't nearly as good as the Ironmen. Further, let's not forget, this conversation ends the moment we stop and remember what happened on December 27th. Benedictine would have no problem advancing as far as VASJ were the Bengals afforded the same tournament draw.

Quote:
What you people do not say is that VASJ has ZERO control over what division they are in. They play where the OHSAA tells them to play. Joe's will do just fine in D2 - if they even move up. They are a middle of the pack D3 school so even with the CBP - they might stay D3. Last year several teams had the chance to beat Joe's. They had zero business beating Beachwood - but they did. They beat them with heart, hustle and coaching - not elite talent. Beachwood was the team with elite talent - still did not matter.
It's not about VASJ choosing to be in DIII--it's about the way you people talk about these other schools and about how you downplay your advantage. You would do "just fine in D2," but you'd definitely not be winning as many regional titles.
Old 03-16-17, 10:20 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
There will be no convincing VASJ fans that they're not competing against their peers on their way to racking up titles. To them, the fact that their school's enrollment is the same size and that a few of their players can, in theory, walk to school, means that they are justified in pounding these 6' and under farm teams on their way to banners. To everyone else, the talent gap is obvious, and they really don't belong in Division III.
So what's Benedictine's excuse with football? Why aren't they playing football in Mentor's division like they should be?
Old 03-17-17, 01:58 AM
All American

VASJ's last three state title games have come against Lima Central Catholic. I would say they are a pretty legit powerhouse winning 2 of the last 3 D3 championships. The Beachwood team Joe's beat in the district final last year was as good as any team in NE Ohio in any division. Don't make it sound like Joe's is beating the sisters of the poor. The teams Lima Central has put on the floor the last 3 years have been very good.
Old 03-17-17, 09:42 AM
All Region

You missed my point

Quote:
What "my" school does is irrelevant. Why not address the actual argument?

You seem to care enough to respond...twice even.
THERE IS NO ARGUMENT YOUR LOOKING FOR ONE THOUGH
It is that you LOVE bashing my school.A school that LOST Malik and Tyreke Smith,Jaylin Harris,and the excellent guard(Mug help me out-forgot his name)who's dad was a thorn in Wojo's side? We have lost plenty of talent and turned away tons of STUDENTS due to the requirements for admission.Yet we win both on and off the court.Ed's and Iggy are really the only area schools that can get most of what they want talent wise.Ed's beats Iggy but Iggy wins Hockey championship.Ed's win wrestling and may win Basketball too.Again,VASJ,Bennies,CCC, are the OTHER GUYS.We all do well in our own ways.We lose western Cuyshoga,Eastern Lake County kids to Lake Catholic but maybe that's changing?I would expect an outsider to say what your saying but you have knowledge being your from Benedictine.We don't need your support but its funny a private school football-sometimes basketball powerhouse would have an alumni bashing us.Irony at its finist you were on here LAUGHING at our curriculum and admission requirements.Sounds like you compared us to a CMSD school.I don't care ultimately what you think.BUT I have to make the public aware of your BS to let the rest of the uninformed know the truth about your FAKE NEWS.
Old 03-17-17, 10:03 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
Nice moment for Derek Pardon at the foul line making the clutch free throws! Congrats
Thanks Eaglepride! What an incredible season he is having. It was also special having Clark Kellogg shoutout his fellow alumni and VASJ in the postgame recap with Charles Barkley.
Old 03-17-17, 10:41 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
It is that you LOVE bashing my school.A school that LOST Malik and Tyreke Smith,Jaylin Harris,and the excellent guard(Mug help me out-forgot his name)who's dad was a thorn in Wojo's side? We have lost plenty of talent and turned away tons of STUDENTS due to the requirements for admission.Yet we win both on and off the court.Ed's and Iggy are really the only area schools that can get most of what they want talent wise.Ed's beats Iggy but Iggy wins Hockey championship.Ed's win wrestling and may win Basketball too.Again,VASJ,Bennies,CCC, are the OTHER GUYS.We all do well in our own ways.We lose western Cuyshoga,Eastern Lake County kids to Lake Catholic but maybe that's changing?I would expect an outsider to say what your saying but you have knowledge being your from Benedictine.We don't need your support but its funny a private school football-sometimes basketball powerhouse would have an alumni bashing us.Irony at its finist you were on here LAUGHING at our curriculum and admission requirements.Sounds like you compared us to a CMSD school.I don't care ultimately what you think.BUT I have to make the public aware of your BS to let the rest of the uninformed know the truth about your FAKE NEWS.
James, you are spot on.

Last edited by 111411; 03-18-17 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-17-17, 10:42 AM
Freshman

VASJalumni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Again, this is not about Benedictine. But I will say this, I have openly stated several times that Benedictine should not be DIII for football. However, Benedictine beat Mooney, Steubenville, and Alter in '14 to win it all, meaning 60% of their playoff games on the way to their title were against legitimate, powerhouse programs. Not sure VASJ can say the same of any of the titles they have won in hoops, at least not recently.

In regards to CCC, sure, they knocked us out of the district, but please remember, the next best team at your district this year wasn't nearly as good as the Ironmen. Further, let's not forget, this conversation ends the moment we stop and remember what happened on December 27th. Benedictine would have no problem advancing as far as VASJ were the Bengals afforded the same tournament draw.

It's not about VASJ choosing to be in DIII--it's about the way you people talk about these other schools and about how you downplay your advantage. You would do "just fine in D2," but you'd definitely not be winning as many regional titles.
Scheduling harder teams will improve a teams plays and make them better prepared for tougher teams. Will this make up for the talent gap? HELL NO. The harsh reality is that whoever comes out of the Garfield Heights district will most likely win regionals whether its VASJ, Warrensville, or Beachwood. Especially with the great teams these schools have had in the past couple years. To make a fair canton regional, getting rid of VASJ is not the answer. I firmly believe that if or when VASJ leaves D3, another team like Warrensville will fill the place of Joes and continue to to win the Canton regional. I have no idea how they can make this regional more fair without getting rid of the garfield heights district and obviously this is not a probable thing to do. My point is, VASJ is not the only issue with this regional. I believe that if VASJ was not in DIII, we would be having the same debate about Warrensville or Beachwood. As for down playing our advantage, we do have local kids. However, the basketball skill level in northeast Ohio as a whole has been crazy. The amounts of athletes the area has had these past 7 years or so has been insane. Yes, it probably unfair for those schools from southern part of the state to compete with the teams from this area. Moving a team like VASJ out is not the solution because another team will fill the spot like I previously stated. The only way of having a "fair" regional would be to split up the city schools from the farm teams. In my opinion, that is just not going to happen and is not logical.
Old 03-17-17, 11:23 AM
All Region

The guard was named Devin Carter who transferred to John Hay.

Last edited by 111411; 03-18-17 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-17-17, 02:10 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
James, you are spot on.
We will adopt him as a loyal fan if he secretly bleeds Columbia Blue and Red.But he needs to let it go already.

Last edited by 111411; 03-18-17 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-17-17, 02:20 PM
All Region

Boo HOO

Quote:

We don't need a history lesson about Benedictine football.They are fantastic.I root for them.This response you give would be appropriate if we dissed the Bengals.It is hollow when you use it to justify your bashing us.You are showing cracks in your amour.If you have any.Stop while your ahead.Your just setting yourself up for more public whippings
Old 03-17-17, 07:03 PM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Ditto!

Quote:
VASJ's last three state title games have come against Lima Central Catholic. I would say they are a pretty legit powerhouse winning 2 of the last 3 D3 championships. The Beachwood team Joe's beat in the district final last year was as good as any team in NE Ohio in any division. Don't make it sound like Joe's is beating the sisters of the poor. The teams Lima Central has put on the floor the last 3 years have been very good.
Vikings don't back done from anyone!
Old 03-18-17, 10:08 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
So what's Benedictine's excuse with football? Why aren't they playing football in Mentor's division like they should be?
Of course football is a sport where numbers really matter. Basketball teams can compete for state championships with 2-3 dominant players and 5-6 decent role players.

That said, I have consistently argued that Benedictine should be playing one division higher in football.
Old 03-18-17, 10:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Right, Lima Central Catholic also should not be in Division III. That said, one public school team over the course of one tournament run does not all of a sudden change the reality that VASJ is not playing in a tournament with its peers.
Old 03-18-17, 10:14 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
So you're essentially confirming my point. The barriers to enrollment at VASJ (which, FYI, do not ensure a superior academic program, only that struggling students cannot enroll) are barriers that normal public schools that VASJ is competing with do not have. These same barriers also, to some degree, keep VASJ's enrollment down.

No one will debate that VASJ has lost some talented athletes. But the cupboard has also never been bare, either, so that's a red herring. The larger idea here is that VASJ should not be in Division III.
Old 03-18-17, 10:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASJalumni View Post
Scheduling harder teams will improve a teams plays and make them better prepared for tougher teams. Will this make up for the talent gap? HELL NO. The harsh reality is that whoever comes out of the Garfield Heights district will most likely win regionals whether its VASJ, Warrensville, or Beachwood. Especially with the great teams these schools have had in the past couple years. To make a fair canton regional, getting rid of VASJ is not the answer. I firmly believe that if or when VASJ leaves D3, another team like Warrensville will fill the place of Joes and continue to to win the Canton regional. I have no idea how they can make this regional more fair without getting rid of the garfield heights district and obviously this is not a probable thing to do. My point is, VASJ is not the only issue with this regional. I believe that if VASJ was not in DIII, we would be having the same debate about Warrensville or Beachwood. As for down playing our advantage, we do have local kids. However, the basketball skill level in northeast Ohio as a whole has been crazy. The amounts of athletes the area has had these past 7 years or so has been insane. Yes, it probably unfair for those schools from southern part of the state to compete with the teams from this area. Moving a team like VASJ out is not the solution because another team will fill the spot like I previously stated. The only way of having a "fair" regional would be to split up the city schools from the farm teams. In my opinion, that is just not going to happen and is not logical.
This is an excellent post. Part of the problem is geography, but I'm also not convinced that Beachwood or Warrensville would dominate as much as VASJ has, because they really don't consistently have such a huge talent gap over these rural teams.
Old 03-18-17, 10:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
We don't need a history lesson about Benedictine football.They are fantastic.I root for them.This response you give would be appropriate if we dissed the Bengals.It is hollow when you use it to justify your bashing us.You are showing cracks in your amour.If you have any.Stop while your ahead.Your just setting yourself up for more public whippings
Please try to keep up, I responding to the point another post made. I have little interest in talking about Benedictine football here.
Old 03-18-17, 10:42 AM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They were charging 3$ at 5pm I parked one street over for free

Which street was it that you parked on?
Old 03-18-17, 04:07 PM
All American

VASJ does not belong in D3, Lima Central does not belong in D3 - how many teams would you like to eliminate ? Lima won a few games this year and did not make it out of districts. No matter how many teams you remove there will a new team that takes over or moves up (Lutheran East) that you will cry about. This is not every kid get a trophy and all is fair. Not every team has the ability to win a state title and just because you happen to have the best team in YOUR schools history - does not mean it's the best team in the state or even as good as a mediocre team from another school. Joe's might go to state tonight if they beat NW. NW looked gassed against STA and Joe's plays at a faster pace. If the big guy is not in shape or if their guards tire - is that Joe's fault. Should VASJ not play hard. Joe's places where the OHSAA puts them and they do the best they can. You should not have to make excuses for being good.
Old 03-18-17, 05:45 PM
All World

lchsman is on a distinguished road
Good luck to Mugs and and the Vikings tonight!
Old 03-18-17, 08:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
VASJ does not belong in D3, Lima Central does not belong in D3 - how many teams would you like to eliminate ? Lima won a few games this year and did not make it out of districts. No matter how many teams you remove there will a new team that takes over or moves up (Lutheran East) that you will cry about. This is not every kid get a trophy and all is fair. Not every team has the ability to win a state title and just because you happen to have the best team in YOUR schools history - does not mean it's the best team in the state or even as good as a mediocre team from another school. Joe's might go to state tonight if they beat NW. NW looked gassed against STA and Joe's plays at a faster pace. If the big guy is not in shape or if their guards tire - is that Joe's fault. Should VASJ not play hard. Joe's places where the OHSAA puts them and they do the best they can. You should not have to make excuses for being good.
You're right, my comment about LCC was a bit of an overreaction to you throwing something new at the wall and seeing if it sticks. I agree, VASJ should not have to make excuses, but their fans should also not pretend that they're not playing with a stacked deck. VASJ is Exhibit A for why the OHSAA needs to take a serious look at how it places schools in divisions for small team sports.
Old 03-18-17, 09:05 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchsman View Post
Good luck to Mugs and and the Vikings tonight!
Thanks lchsman! Btw, congrats on this week's announcement.

Last edited by MugnMaul78; 03-18-17 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 09:13 PM
All Ohio

Vikings win 70 to 51, ok dyslexia. The Husky's were a nice team and lead by their stud center with 20+ but I don't think they were prepared for VASJ's team speed and depth at the guard position. VASJ has about 4 to 5 guards that can flat out fly. Very happy for the kids, coaches, school, and the Collinwood/Euclid community.

Last edited by MugnMaul78; 03-18-17 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 09:34 PM
All Ohio

Game summary. http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...r-northwestern
Old 03-18-17, 09:41 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Article you posted says 70-51.
Old 03-19-17, 07:02 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
VASJ Vikings 2016 - 2017

Nice article by the News Herald about former standout Treg Lee http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...helping-others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-17, 06:31 PM
All Ohio

Dererk Pardon was back in the Viking Village after the incredible Northwestern University run. Here is a picture of Northwestern sophomore Dererk, state qualifier VASJ sophomore Gaffney, and coach Babe Kwasniak. Dererk was kind of enough to come back and practice to help keep Gaffney and the Vikings sharp and humble. Once a Viking always a Viking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17352056_10155091409993670_5958296058355230262_n.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1546  

Last edited by MugnMaul78; 03-20-17 at 06:45 PM.