Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-20-17, 12:10 PM
All Ohio

JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
Lotr, I've been rehashing the discussion of the thread, there have been some valid points made about why aren't we taking care of business on earth rather than exploring space. Its just human nature. We're explorers, we want the new next best thing. So I think the two will go hand in hand. We will venture out into space, and the technology advances gained there will be used to make the earth a better place to live. Its how its always done. Examples are teraforming or being able to turn salt water into drinking water. Things like that. We'll learn these techniques elsewhere, and use them on earth. Cart before the horse, but that's how the human race is, feed the curiosity and newness.
Old 04-20-17, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post
Lotr, I've been rehashing the discussion of the thread, there have been some valid points made about why aren't we taking care of business on earth rather than exploring space. Its just human nature. We're explorers, we want the new next best thing. So I think the two will go hand in hand. We will venture out into space, and the technology advances gained there will be used to make the earth a better place to live. Its how its always done. Examples are teraforming or being able to turn salt water into drinking water. Things like that. We'll learn these techniques elsewhere, and use them on earth. Cart before the horse, but that's how the human race is, feed the curiosity and newness.
I've never bought into the argument that we need to "fix" things on earth before colonizing the solar system. As you point out the technical spin offs an aggressive space program produces results in enormous benefits. IMO humanity's urge to explore is second only to "war" in propelling our species forward.

There is also the issue of how humanity sees itself and how wide its philosophical horizons are. Exploration stimulates progress in human societies such as the move from hunter/gatherer to cultivator or the leap from lose tribes to nation states. Would the enlightenment have really taken root in human society had there not been the limitless horizon and room for growth that the "new world" offered the Europeans? Does a vast physical horizon by definition lead to an expended mental horizon?
Old 04-20-17, 06:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I've never bought into the argument that we need to "fix" things on earth before colonizing the solar system. As you point out the technical spin offs an aggressive space program produces results in enormous benefits. IMO humanity's urge to explore is second only to "war" in propelling our species forward.

There is also the issue of how humanity sees itself and how wide its philosophical horizons are. Exploration stimulates progress in human societies such as the move from hunter/gatherer to cultivator or the leap from lose tribes to nation states. Would the enlightenment have really taken root in human society had there not been the limitless horizon and room for growth that the "new world" offered the Europeans? Does a vast physical horizon by definition lead to an expended mental horizon?
There is just too much one-upmanship in our species. But it has its benefits. Greed and power isn't good for man overall, but it triggers evolvement. You gave some great examples. And this need/obsession to be numero uno results in advancing man. The guys and gals with the most money generally want to expand themselves beyond just being rich and powerful. They want to be the first. And they'll spend money to be the first. Obama's accidentally did something good by slowing down NASA. It spurred private sector billionaires to push space and science boundaries. Your last sentence - yes, it does, these advances can only help educate the population much more efficiently - that's if the population actually wants to be educated. With technological advance comes simplification as well - having computers do our thinking for us. Those with some smarts will benefit from the symbiotic collaboration. But will those not quite as smart benefit from not being required to learn and understand on their own without just pressing a button for an answer/food/relationship/Etc. Interesting to think about.
Old 04-21-17, 08:11 AM
All Yappi

Here's an interesting take on how you can optimize your chances of surviving an asteroid strike (hint, think Tornado):

http://www.geekwire.com/2017/what-to-do-asteroid/

Some compelling info here including how even though it would spawn the mother of all tsunamis it's better for us if an asteroid hits the ocean instead of the land. The article notes that the shock wave and heat blast are the main "killers" and in fact hiding out in your basement is the best defense you have against a near asteroid strike.

As usual you can find links to this article and other good ones at Instapundit:

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/
Old 04-24-17, 02:52 AM
All District

Max Grumbleman is on a distinguished road
Recently read some stuff about the apparent damage sustained by the eyes when people go into space. This has made we reconsider the short-term possibilities of space travel. Until we can build ships large enough to produce artificial gravity while not spinning so quickly as to nauseate everyone on board, this issue appears to be extremely prohibitive. This also makes colonizing Mars a non-starter until we can (bio)engineer ourselves to withstand those conditions.
Old 04-24-17, 07:11 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
Recently read some stuff about the apparent damage sustained by the eyes when people go into space. This has made we reconsider the short-term possibilities of space travel. Until we can build ships large enough to produce artificial gravity while not spinning so quickly as to nauseate everyone on board, this issue appears to be extremely prohibitive. This also makes colonizing Mars a non-starter until we can (bio)engineer ourselves to withstand those conditions.
To be fair we still don't know what physiological barriers may or may not prevent us from directly exploring space. That work is currently underway and all we can do is hope that the barriers are not to high.

I think colonization of both the Moon & Mars could begin right now using the basic materials & methods we already have at our disposal to develop a physical infrastructure to create a colony. In the case of the Moon, building underground could shield us from the radiation effects and with Mars there are already plans to build habitats that could house humans.

Longer term humans will likely change physiologically as they evolve to adopt to these new worlds. Your point on bio-engineering is spot on and already we are being engineered to a remarkable degree (prosthetic's, artificial organs, etc.) the time is nearing when we'll start remaking human beings at the cellular level.

There should be enough gravity on both the Moon & Mars to accommodate human physiology. I also suspect that the breakthroughs in quantum physics we're seeing today will form the foundation for learning how to manipulate gravity and even create "artificial" gravity. BTW, gravity is turning out to be the strangest force in the Universe.
Old 04-24-17, 07:50 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
If people cannot withstand exposure to low or zero gravity for extended periods of time without harming their eyes, I don't think we could colonize anything off-world regardless of our technological capabilities. We may be limited to doing things remotely with robots and maybe for the Moon sending workers for temporary stays of just a few weeks. At least until we figure out how to create artificial gravity, artificial eyeballs, and/or engineer our eyes to withstand harsher conditions.
Old 04-24-17, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Pretty cool shot of Earth here between the rings of Saturn.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nas...ings-of-saturn

Old 04-24-17, 10:34 AM
All Ohio

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
That IS nice. I'm assuming our moon is also visible in that shot, to the left?

I can usually see at least 2 out the 4 biggest moons when I point my 4.5 inch department-store telescope at Jupiter at any one time, but I'm not sure if I can see Saturn's moons with it. I know I could when I looked at it thru the 32" reflector scope at the Perkins observatory in Delaware 40 years ago, that was breathtaking.

About 15 years ago I was at Perseids meteor-watching event at Hocking Hills. Two astronomy nerds in their 30's brought a home-made telescope with a 15-inch mirror, and the tube was mounted on sand bags. I remember that night they showed me and my son Neptune, the Ring Nebula, and globular clusters. To see them in person after years of seeing pictures in books was stunning.
Old 04-24-17, 10:47 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Grumbleman View Post
Good point - I hadn't heard about potential eye problems, but it makes sense. I know something as inocuous as laying down with your arm across your eyeballs can temporarily flatten your cornea, which actually improved my nearsightedness for an hour. I can see lack of gravity doing the same thing, especially combined with changes in internal fluid pressure.

I got to hear astronaut Scott Kelly speak in Denver last month about the physical effects he experienced after returning from 340 consecutive days aboard the ISS - swelling in legs and feet, flu-like symptoms, etc. The strangest effect he mentioned was extreme skin irritation when touching everyday items like clothes and bedsheets.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-in-space.html
Old 04-24-17, 12:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
That IS nice. I'm assuming our moon is also visible in that shot, to the left?
Yep. Tiny dot to the left when you zoom in

Old 04-24-17, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Good point - I hadn't heard about potential eye problems, but it makes sense. I know something as inocuous as laying down with your arm across your eyeballs can temporarily flatten your cornea, which actually improved my nearsightedness for an hour. I can see lack of gravity doing the same thing, especially combined with changes in internal fluid pressure.

I got to hear astronaut Scott Kelly speak in Denver last month about the physical effects he experienced after returning from 340 consecutive days aboard the ISS - swelling in legs and feet, flu-like symptoms, etc. The strangest effect he mentioned was extreme skin irritation when touching everyday items like clothes and bedsheets.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-in-space.html
The key to this issue will be the impact of partial gravity on folks engaged in long range space flights. 340 days at zero gravity is a long time and one wonders what the symptoms would have been had he been able to spend say a couple of hours a day in a rotating section that produced centripetal gravity?

Of course on long flights to Mars there will be acceleration "gravity" experienced by the travelers. Would this alleviate the negative effects? Seems like a lot of practical R&D is needed in the next few years to answer these questions.
Old 04-24-17, 04:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nas...ings-of-saturn

Awesome image - both beautiful AND intimidating in showing us the sheer scale of the solar system.
Old 04-24-17, 05:29 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
^^^

"Pale blue dot"
---Carl Sagan
Old 04-25-17, 03:22 PM
All Ohio

Michael Bluth -awesome, thanks for the pick. It appears simulating being on earth, in a spaceship, or somewhere else in space, may be the biggest obstacle to exploring the stars. Great discussion, thank you all.
Old 04-26-17, 11:12 AM
All Yappi

Looks like we might have a serious space race breaking out as China announces it would like to work with the European Space Agency to build a Moon colony:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...n-outpost.html

They're calling it a "Moon village". Check out the cool video and great pictures of the proposed base.
Old 04-27-17, 01:28 PM
All Yappi

A neat example of just how tenacious and tough life is:

http://www.sciencealert.com/research...canic-eruption

They're calling it "furry bacteria" and it moved in and colonized the slopes of an undersea volcano as soon as the eruption was over. With life so diverse & weird on earth imagine what it will look like in the vastness of the galaxy.
Old 04-28-17, 09:54 AM
All Yappi

More pics from Saturn: a giant hurricane-like storm

http://www.space.com/36634-giant-sat...e=notification

Quote:
It hosts layers of clouds and that huge, spinning hexagon-shaped storm on its north pole, as well as more temporary storms that streak across the planet's surface. (One was nearly as wide as Earth.) It also hosts winds among the fastest in the solar system — NASA's Voyager missions, which passed Saturn in 1980 and 1981, measured winds at more than 1,100 mph (1,800 kph).
That's some serious wind
Old 04-30-17, 04:11 PM
All Yappi

They continue to expand the capabilities of the International Space Station (ISS) to perform molecular biology experiments in order to identify unknown microbial contaminants:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/IS...space_999.html

While it isn't exactly something out of the movie "Life" as these microbes are earth based it could someday be used to study truly alien microbiology brought back to the station from Mars.
Old 05-01-17, 07:38 AM
All Yappi

SpaceX had a successful launch & orbital placement of a "spy satellite" yesterday. The coolest part of this is that these Falcon rockets are reusable - they "land" back on earth after separation which is pretty cost effective:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...nch/308176001/

And from Instapundit (https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/) this morning comes this article along the same lines talking about how Trump is helping the space program by becoming a loud cheerleader for the effort:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...e-mars/524700/
Old 05-01-17, 09:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
SpaceX had a successful launch & orbital placement of a "spy satellite" yesterday. The coolest part of this is that these Falcon rockets are reusable - they "land" back on earth after separation which is pretty cost effective:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...nch/308176001/

And from Instapundit (https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/) this morning comes this article along the same lines talking about how Trump is helping the space program by becoming a loud cheerleader for the effort:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...e-mars/524700/
Just watched the videos of the launch and landing. Very cool stuff. This is huge, to successfully complete their first DoD mission and bring the rocket back to Earth for reuse.
Old 05-04-17, 03:44 PM
All Yappi

Great news for a Mars colony, Stephen Hawking is saying we only have 100 years to colonize Mars and save the human race:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/05/...n-century.html

Well if Hawking says so, it must be so!
Old 05-04-17, 05:28 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Great news for a Mars colony, Stephen Hawking is saying we only have 100 years to colonize Mars and save the human race:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/05/...n-century.html

Well if Hawking says so, it must be so!
That IS great news!
Old 05-05-17, 08:12 AM
All Yappi

More on the amazing Cassini space probe flight through the rings of Saturn:

http://www.sci-news.com/space/dust-f...ngs-04825.html

It appears that contrary to expectations, the probe encountered almost no particles between Saturn and its rings. It's a big mystery as to why this region is dust free.

When you stop and think about it, what the Cassini probe is exploring and communicating back to earth was the stuff of science fiction just a couple of decades ago. Hat's off to the hardest working probe in the Solar System.
Old 05-08-17, 05:13 PM
All Yappi

File this article under the title "The Science is NEVER Settled".

https://futurism.com/how-much-do-we-...peed-of-light/

It introduces the concept of "quantum vacuum fluctuation" to the reader. At the very least throw that out at a cocktail party and see if anyone bites.

The most disturbing part is this:

However, this theory is still controversial and doesn’t actually answer the most basic question of all: What if the speed of light isn’t what we take it to be? What if it’s infinite? Well, that would actually solve all of our problems, wouldn’t it? Because in that case, nothing would exist.

Does this mean we're really just a simulation?
Old 05-10-17, 07:21 AM
All Yappi

It's important to advertise the many "space technologies" that are re-purposed for general use back on earth. Here's a nice example of an improved robotic surgery system that owes it's development to space exploration:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0422102030.htm

Along with war, space exploration is clearly a significant catalyst for breakthrough human technical innovation.
Old 05-10-17, 10:02 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
File this article under the title "The Science is NEVER Settled".

https://futurism.com/how-much-do-we-...peed-of-light/

It introduces the concept of "quantum vacuum fluctuation" to the reader. At the very least throw that out at a cocktail party and see if anyone bites.

The most disturbing part is this:

However, this theory is still controversial and doesn’t actually answer the most basic question of all: What if the speed of light isn’t what we take it to be? What if it’s infinite? Well, that would actually solve all of our problems, wouldn’t it? Because in that case, nothing would exist.

Does this mean we're really just a simulation?
Or better yet, what if the speed of light isn't constant? What if it was much, much quicker at some point?
Old 05-10-17, 03:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Or better yet, what if the speed of light isn't constant? What if it was much, much quicker at some point?
Very well could be the case. They are very close to saying that the properties of gravity change depending upon where in space you are. I suspect the speed of light may also have that type of "flexibility".
Old 05-11-17, 07:28 AM
All Yappi

Five ways living on Mars can kill you:

http://www.space.com/36800-five-ways...e-on-mars.html

On the bright side at least there are no cannibals or headhunters!

As an aside, I've always been fascinated with the idea that during the Martian summer at the equator the temperature can rise to 70 degrees F. While not exactly "tropical" it beats the hottest it can get in Antarctica.
Old 05-11-17, 08:33 AM
All Ohio

Back in the mid-1960's there was still some speculation that humans could walk around on Mars with limited restriction - a small oxygen tank because of the thin atmosphere, and just wear normal clothes.

I guess that's out now!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: