Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-17-16, 03:52 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
ITCL Basketball 16-17

Well the swan song for itcl hoops will be getting started soon might as well start talking about it. What does everyone have returning? Who should have good years? I'm not really up on hoops outside that Lisbon loses 4 great players and Wellsville should be really solid.

As for McDonald I have very high expectations, I think this year could be just as good if not better than last years squad. Poole came on strong as a sophomore last year earning his way to be one of the best players last year, and he should be a star on the team this year with his height, shooting, ball handling and athleticism. Magill, Portolese, and Ragazzine all return also from the varsity roster. Portolese, magaill and Poole all averaged over 10 ppg last year. The JV team was dominant last year and blew everyone out, so I won't expect any drop off from players like beedle coming up to play varsity when they likely could've last year and played well. I think the biggest weakness will be the same as last year, which is size underneath. While they'll have some decent height with Portolese and Poole both being around 6'5, both are lanky. The team struggled with half-court D and rebounding when Howard was off the floor last year and this year they won't have him at all, so that'll be a concern.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-16, 12:46 PM
All Region

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
Lisbon will have very little varsity experience coming back this season. I think there's quite a bit of talent there, but they have a ways to go. A couple seniors came back out this year, so hopefully that's a help. Sounds like good numbers...but it'll be wait and see with this team for the first couple of games. Lots of spots to shake out IMO.

Wellsville should be the white tier favorite. They bring back all their scoring that I can think of. They might even bring back all their starters...I'm not sure. Miller, Shope & Co will be tough to beat.
Old 11-18-16, 05:14 PM
All Region

beaker is on a distinguished road
McDonald will be good and have a good chance to advance to regionals. In fact i believe the same 4 teams that were at Canton last year may be there this year as well. Thats not good news for McDonald. Those teams really good. As far as ITCL...Wellsville will be tough to beat and dont sleep on Lowelville .
Old 11-18-16, 11:27 PM
All Ohio

confused is an unknown quantity at this point
Doesn't Lowellville have a new coach, lots of turmoil?
Old 11-20-16, 10:15 PM
All American

hoophi55
If Lowellville is refilling their lineup with the what is left from last season. the growing pains could be an 0-3 start. Don't sleep on Western Reserve would be a better battle cry.
Old 11-20-16, 10:58 PM
All Ohio

Scrimmage outcomes so far. Outlook?
Old 11-21-16, 09:28 AM
Junior Varsity

MahCtysportslegend is on a distinguished road
McDonald is the clearly the strongest team in the league followed closely by South Range and Wellsville. Western Reserve will be tough this year as well, not so sure about Lowellville with all the turnover in coaching and players. EP could be a sleeper team as well, they return a lot of young guys who got varsity time last year. Just depends on the coach.

I heard the Campbell, East Palestine, Waterloo scrimmage got a little physical last weekend. EP split the 4 quarters with Campbell and won 2 out of 3 quarters against Waterloo.
Old 11-21-16, 02:22 PM
All District

Hilltopper1 is on a distinguished road
What happened at the scrimmage? How did Campbell look? If you don't mind...
Old 11-21-16, 03:12 PM
Junior Varsity

Campbell had some length and athleticism, pressed but not to fundamentally sound in it, Campbell was extremely physical on the defensive end and didn't handle pressure well. Campbell beat EP one quarter on a half court buzzer beater. Campbell and EP look to be very physical on the defensive end. To EP's credit they didn't back down to the physicality.

Waterloo was extremely big, their best player a 6'6" stretch big got hurt in the practice the night before, a 6'3" pg that could really handle it and shoot it from deep, and another big about 6'4'' for those of you who might see them in salem.
Old 11-24-16, 11:07 AM
All Ohio

Who will challenge Springfield this year? They lost one of the areas best players to graduation. Threads been pretty quiet on them. McDonald or Wellsville come out of Struthers and is Lisbon back there again this year?
Old 11-24-16, 01:38 PM
All World

I don't know how good maplewood is supposed to be, but word is McDonald crushed them in a scrimmage
Old 11-27-16, 09:43 AM
All American

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Dec. 2 – Leetonia, 7:30
Dec. 6 – at Mineral Ridge, 7:30
Dec. 9 – Lisbon, 7:30
Dec. 13 – at Jackson-Milton, 7:30
Dec. 16 – Springfield, 7:30
Dec. 20 – Western Reserve, 7:30
Dec. 23 – United, 7:30
Dec. 27 – at Columbiana, 7:30
Jan. 3 – Sebring, 7:30
Jan. 6 – at Crestview, 7:30
Jan. 10 – at Southern, 7:30
Jan. 13 – South Range, 7:30
Jan. 17 – at Salem, 7:30
Jan. 24 – McDonald, 7:30
Jan. 27 – at Springfield, 7:30
Jan. 28 – at Heartland Christian, 7:30
Feb. 3 – at United, 7:30
Feb. 7 – Crestview, 7:30
Feb. 10 – at South Range, 7:30
Feb. 14 – at Lowellville, 7:30
Feb. 21 – Wellsville, 7:30

schedule for the Bulldogs.
Old 11-28-16, 11:11 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
Dec. 2 Leetonia, 7:30
Dec. 6 at Mineral Ridge, 7:30
Dec. 9 Lisbon, 7:30
Dec. 13 at Jackson-Milton, 7:30
Dec. 16 Springfield, 7:30
Dec. 20 Western Reserve, 7:30
Dec. 23 United, 7:30
Dec. 27 at Columbiana, 7:30
Jan. 3 Sebring, 7:30
Jan. 6 at Crestview, 7:30
Jan. 10 at Southern, 7:30
Jan. 13 South Range, 7:30
Jan. 17 at Salem, 7:30
Jan. 24 McDonald, 7:30
Jan. 27 at Springfield, 7:30
Jan. 28 at Heartland Christian, 7:30
Feb. 3 at United, 7:30
Feb. 7 Crestview, 7:30
Feb. 10 at South Range, 7:30
Feb. 14 at Lowellville, 7:30
Feb. 21 Wellsville, 7:30

schedule for the Bulldogs.

Schedule I saw had EP at the Liverpool tourney on the 27th and the Columbiana game was moved to the 30th
Old 11-28-16, 11:12 AM
Junior Varsity

Good luck to all teams this year! Were there any scrimmages this past weekend?
Old 11-28-16, 12:13 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahCtysportslegend View Post
Schedule I saw had EP at the Liverpool tourney on the 27th and the Columbiana game was moved to the 30th
Yes, I know, this one was off WKBN. Last I knew, no opponent has been found yet. If so, please post.
Old 11-28-16, 05:31 PM
All World

McDonald was scheduled to play Springfield this Friday but that has been rescheduled to sometime in February due to Springfields football playoff run
Old 11-30-16, 11:34 AM
All Region

Other than playing blue tier teams twice this year is McDonald obligated to play the other teams in the league once. All they have out of league on schedule is Niles and Girard. Why don't they put more quality teams on schedule. Unless no room too cause of scheduling requirements. Curious to see how they schedule with new league. Need to play better teams to take it to next level.
Old 11-30-16, 05:01 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
Other than playing blue tier teams twice this year is McDonald obligated to play the other teams in the league once. All they have out of league on schedule is Niles and Girard. Why don't they put more quality teams on schedule. Unless no room too cause of scheduling requirements. Curious to see how they schedule with new league. Need to play better teams to take it to next level.
Pretty sure they have to schedule blue tier teams twice and then one game against each of the conference teams from the other tiers leaving little room to schedule OOC. Girard should be a good test out of league.

I agree about scheduling, with more slots open in the new league they need to beef it up. There's a ton of talent from 9th grade on up so they'll be very good for the next 3-4 years. The problem with the scheduling, is if they want to play teams as good as the ones they'll see at regional like cornerstone or Lutheran East they'll either have to schedule a much bigger school like Poland or travel pretty far.

Last edited by kingpin2010; 11-30-16 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-30-16, 08:19 PM
All American

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Why not schedule Struthers ???

Quote:
Given the proximity, I think McDonald would be wise to schedule a season-ending game with Struthers each year. Sebring did this particular tactic for about 5-6 years or more, with all the games being played in the Fieldhouse.
To a lesser extent, Lo'ville has been doing that as well. But they just recently starting scheduling the Wildcats. Is on the schedule this year.
Western Reserve has also scheduled a game at Struthers this year.
Lisbon played at Struthers last year during the regular season.

Our AD has generally been okay with the smaller schools scheduling us. And in the case with Sebring, the advantage for Struthers was they regularly brought a very nice crowd, Plus, what better way to acclimate yourself to the floor you'll be playing on for possibly several games.

Win-win for everyone.

Old 12-01-16, 01:45 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
Given the proximity, I think McDonald would be wise to schedule a season-ending game with Struthers each year. Sebring did this particular tactic for about 5-6 years or more, with all the games being played in the Fieldhouse.
To a lesser extent, Lo'ville has been doing that as well. But they just recently starting scheduling the Wildcats. Is on the schedule this year.
Western Reserve has also scheduled a game at Struthers this year.
Lisbon played at Struthers last year during the regular season.

Our AD has generally been okay with the smaller schools scheduling us. And in the case with Sebring, the advantage for Struthers was they regularly brought a very nice crowd, Plus, what better way to acclimate yourself to the floor you'll be playing on for possibly several games.

Win-win for everyone.

Struthers would be a good game, though I know next to nothing on the quality of struthers basketball teams. I do remember before this new league schedule that McDonald did play Brookfield, Hubbard, Champion, Niles, and Girard out of league so playing bigger wasn't an issue. Coach Williams has done a good job as AD scheduling bigger schools in both football and basketball out of league. We'll see what they get next year when there will be more out of league games. I'll be hoping to see a Struthers or Poland on there.

As for getting acclimated to the floor, the fieldhouse is our home away from home! We've played so many games over the years and won 4 district championships there, along with being runner-ups 4 other times.
Old 12-01-16, 09:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
That might jeopardize his winning %. Won't happen.
Old 12-01-16, 10:33 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused View Post
That might jeopardize his winning %. Won't happen.
Maybe...his system reminds me of a football team that runs a no huddle spread offense with inferior athletes. Those teams put up a lot of points...win a lot of games...but when they get in playoff game they run into team with better athletes and potent offense sputters. Rasile gets most he can with players he got. Got some pretty good players for next couple years. Gonna win a lot of games. Maybe win district title this year. Then see what happens.
Old 12-05-16, 01:35 AM
All District

Thomas Paine is an unknown quantity at this point
Mineral ridge is my dark horse pick. I have a nephew on the team who seemed very optimistic when we saw him over thanksgiving. East Palestine will be a tough test early, as I thought they had a very good JV team the past few years.
Old 12-05-16, 10:03 AM
Junior Varsity

who all played this weekend? and if we could get the scores and who plays tomorrow?
Old 12-05-16, 10:48 AM
All Ohio

pepperpot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
who all played this weekend? and if we could get the scores and who plays tomorrow?
Wellsville plays tomorrow at Lowellville, Friday at home against United.
Should be an outstanding season for the Tigers !
Old 12-05-16, 11:51 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperpot View Post
Wellsville plays tomorrow at Lowellville, Friday at home against United.
Should be an outstanding season for the Tigers !
No doubt...I'm expecting big things from the Tigers this season. They'll be fun to watch.
Old 12-05-16, 11:54 AM
All Region

Quote:
Lisbon played Heartland Christian on Friday night and won by 45-50. Then, they played Sebring on Saturday night and won by 72-67 in OT. Justin Sweeney hit a white liner with about 1 second left to put it into OT and then hit a clutch 3-Pointer in OT to give Lisbon the lead. Great effort by a young Lisbon squad...I think they were down by 8 at one point in the 3rd quarter.

I'm not sure how good Sebring is supposed to be, but a solid win by Lisbon regardless.

Lisbon has South Range on Tuesday and then EP on Friday. I'm expecting Bulldog to buy my hotdog & soda at halftime.
Old 12-05-16, 03:26 PM
All World

McDonald as noted earlier had their game against Springfield postponed from last Friday to February. They open up at United Tuesday then Columbiana at home Friday. Should be a great year looking forward to it starting, don't think they will roll 10 deep year, probably more 8 or 9
Old 12-05-16, 03:35 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
Mineral ridge is my dark horse pick. I have a nephew on the team who seemed very optimistic when we saw him over thanksgiving. East Palestine will be a tough test early, as I thought they had a very good JV team the past few years.
I'll be shocked if Ridge is above .500 this year. They were solid last year but lost 5 seniors and from what I've heard their best returning player transferred to McDonald.
Old 12-05-16, 03:42 PM
All American

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer24 View Post

Lisbon has South Range on Tuesday and then EP on Friday. I'm expecting Bulldog to buy my hotdog & soda at halftime.
Wait by the concession stand.