Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-30-16, 02:25 PM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Watched 2010 NC game between Butler and Duke last night, which went down to the buzzer. Butler had one helluva team and it was a shame one team had to lose.
That Duke team had almost zero NBA talent. I think Lance Thomas has had the most high profile NBA career.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-16, 02:39 PM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Seth Curry, Ryan Kelley, Mason and Miles Plumlee, Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, Lance Thomas all played in the NBA. And that honor would go to Mason.
Old 11-30-16, 03:18 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Seth Curry, Ryan Kelley, Mason and Miles Plumlee, Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, Lance Thomas all played in the NBA. And that honor would go to Mason.
Kelly and Mason Plumlee were not a big part of that team. Curry had to sit out that season because of his transfer.
Old 11-30-16, 03:23 PM
Cooling Off

That's still far from "almost zero NBA talent." They certainly had more than Butler.
Old 11-30-16, 04:58 PM
All Yappi

Jhubbs77 is on a distinguished road
It's unreal how refs continue to give Allen calls on his flops. He was like a fish out of water lasto night
Old 12-03-16, 05:46 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Honestly Kennard might be Dukes best player this year. I don't see how you can bench him even if those prized freshman come back. How can you ?
Old 12-03-16, 07:02 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Honestly Kennard might be Dukes best player this year. I don't see how you can bench him even if those prized freshman come back. How can you ?
Appears to be much more comfortable this year. Glad the Franklin guy is a Blue Devil!
Old 12-03-16, 08:16 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
That's still far from "almost zero NBA talent." They certainly had more than Butler.
Not really, Heyward is a starter in the NBA.
Old 12-03-16, 08:17 PM
All World

Quote:
No.
Old 12-03-16, 08:30 PM
All Yappi

I don't see why his playing time would be affected that much. He's definitely been their best player so far
Old 12-03-16, 08:33 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhubbs77 View Post
I don't see why his playing time would be affected that much. He's definitely been their best player so far
K has been quoted as saying if and when all 3 of the freshman are back they are all starting. You know Allen will start, so then you have Jefferson, Kennard, Jackson, and Jones battling for 1 last spot.
Old 12-04-16, 03:35 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
K has been quoted as saying if and when all 3 of the freshman are back they are all starting. You know Allen will start, so then you have Jefferson, Kennard, Jackson, and Jones battling for 1 last spot.
And, the bench doesn't stop there - as witnessed by the Maine game. (Yes, I halfway watched it).

Hopefully, he will not continue to play only seven (a lot) as in past years and spread the minutes around. The season is long - close to twice as long as it was back in the day - and, despite Duke's success over the years, some years the Blue Devils were really gassed during the tournaments.

Jefferson should see considerable time up front, allowing Duke to play tougher defense in the paint - at least until Giles is back and up to speed. (?) Same thing with Jones relieving Jackson and Allen/Kennard, especially while Allen is nursing his foot/toe injury.

Even though the three frosh may not need much coaching, I expect K will sub for them as needed to school them on finer points (to help prepare them for the pros). Would I love to see nine or ten (or more) guys get substantial minutes? Yes, but I guess we'll have to see whether that comes to pass or not...
Old 12-04-16, 03:53 PM
All World

Assuming Giles does return at some point this year my starters would be...

G- Jackson
G- Allen
G- Kennard
F- Tatum
C- Giles

If you play a team with a lot of size Jefferson or Bolden can start at the 4 or 5. That gives you a strong bench of Jones, Jefferson, Bolden, Jeter etc.

K will make the right decisions. If anyone can manage all of these stars it's him.
Old 12-05-16, 08:39 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Not really, Heyward is a starter in the NBA.
And? That's one player with Shelvin Mack getting a couple years. Duke had 7 players, albeit 2 did not play. 5>2
Old 12-06-16, 10:10 PM
All World

Kennard and Jefferson are playing out of their minds. I think they should consider sitting Allen a little longer, pretty clear he's not himself w/ his toe injury. I figured it would take a little time for Tatum and Bolden to get acclimated to actual game play.
Old 12-06-16, 11:06 PM
All District

Flevans is on a distinguished road
Kennard is a stud. I'd love to be able to go back and read the posts from salty City League fans who claimed he couldn't even start for the great Dunbar or Thurgood teams.
Old 12-06-16, 11:36 PM
All World

Tatum had a solid game as well. I think once Giles and Bolden get their feet under them and Allen is close to healthy, Duke's the best team.
Old 12-06-16, 11:39 PM
All Yappi

Kennard and Tatum will be the two best players on this team
Old 12-06-16, 11:43 PM
All Yappi

I'm actually curious to see how the team blends together over the year. Grayson seems like the kind of guy who is definitely going to want to get his, and while banged up, he hasn't been good so far
Old 12-07-16, 08:25 AM
Cooling Off

Kennard is that dude.
Old 12-07-16, 12:54 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Duke's off to a great start, but same issues are looming. Last night, 4 players played 35+ minutes, Jefferson and Kennard played 39 and 38 respectively. Can you do that week after week and have anything left in the tank in March? And that's with no injuries?
Old 12-07-16, 12:57 PM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Duke's off to a great start, but same issues are looming. Last night, 4 players played 35+ minutes, Jefferson and Kennard played 39 and 38 respectively. Can you do that week after week and have anything left in the tank in March? And that's with no injuries?
these guys are young. they're not 12 year NBA vets who need rest. once Giles comes back there will be more minutes to let guys rest at times.

also, once Giles gets back into it at 100%, these guys will be the best team in the country and it won't be close.
Old 12-07-16, 12:58 PM
Cooling Off

Um Jeter, Bolden and Giles are injured/coming off an injury. Those three combined for 3 minutes last night. They will all get closer to 20-25 once they get healthy.
Old 12-07-16, 05:11 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flevans View Post
Kennard is a stud. I'd love to be able to go back and read the posts from salty City League fans who claimed he couldn't even start for the great Dunbar or Thurgood teams.

I remember those threads! Those posters were either idiots or trolls, or both.

Something like: "Smh... get real... Kennard would barely be the 6th, 7th or 8th best player on those Dunbar or Thurgood Marshall teams!"

My general response: "Coach K strongly disagrees with your talent assessment."
Old 12-08-16, 02:04 PM
All World

Kennard is legitimately a POY candidate. Especially considering how he's held the fort down with all the Duke injuries.
Old 12-09-16, 01:40 PM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Allen seems to struggle shooting in NBA arenas. He totally disappeared vs UK in last year's game at MSG. Duke looks sloppy as hell, but you have to think this team will get vastly better if/when the 3 Frosh Return.

It is frustrating seeing Duke struggle knowing Tatum could probably play, but it's November and these games really don't count.
Allen, Good not great college player very overrated as a pro-prospect. He won't be able to get to the basket off the dribble or he doesn't shoot consistent enough from the field to be successful on the next level. He, like most Duke players, once they get to the NBA will not be heard from again however Luke Kennard will be a solid player on the next level and one of the more successful pro-players to come out of Duke.
Old 12-09-16, 01:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flevans View Post
Yeah pull that up I'd like to see that! I know he never beat Dunbar or Thurgood.
Old 12-09-16, 02:15 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
Allen, Good not great college player very overrated as a pro-prospect. He won't be able to get to the basket off the dribble or he doesn't shoot consistent enough from the field to be successful on the next level. He, like most Duke players, once they get to the NBA will not be heard from again however Luke Kennard will be a solid player on the next level and one of the more successful pro-players to come out of Duke.
I actually agree with you. Kennard is a better prospect than Allen because his overall game is a step above Allen. Allen is more athletic and can get to the basket better (maybe not better) but like you said, it wont work in the NBA. He will be swatted 9 out of 10 times.

Hold your breathe when I say this because some may laugh.. Let me be clear, I am not saying he will be this good.. But his game reminds me of Chris Mullin. Again, reminds me. I'm not comparing him to a hall of famer skill wise.
I think Kennard can be a solid piece to a team and chip in 10-15 points in the Nba.
Old 12-09-16, 02:35 PM
All American

Quote:
I actually agree with you. Kennard is a better prospect than Allen because his overall game is a step above Allen. Allen is more athletic and can get to the basket better (maybe not better) but like you said, it wont work in the NBA. He will be swatted 9 out of 10 times.

Hold your breathe when I say this because some may laugh.. Let me be clear, I am not saying he will be this good.. But his game reminds me of Chris Mullin. Again, reminds me. I'm not comparing him to a hall of famer skill wise.
I think Kennard can be a solid piece to a team and chip in 10-15 points in the Nba.
Not a bad comparison his game and skills are exactly like Chris Mullins. HOFer remains to be seen but that doesn't mean you can't compare his game and skills to his.
Old 12-20-16, 06:59 PM
All World

Easily their worst performance of the year. Tenn St might end up in the tournament, but no reason they should have held Duke to 65 points. The only positives were Giles getting on the court, even if it was only a few mins, and Kennard continuing to crush it. I'm worried about how streaky Allen has been. They've said he's been limited by a toe injury.

Malik Monk should be the leading candidate for POY, but Kennard belongs in the discussion.