Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 04-29-16, 11:19 AM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Alonzo Gaffney going to Canton McKinley

Super star Alonzo Gaffney 6'8" is transferring to Canton McKinley.His father is looking for a job in Canton,Ohio.He can get a job in North Canton,Plain township,Jackson township,Massillon,and other surrounding areas as long as he lives in Canton.

Alonzo Gaffney is a sophomore to be,who as a big man can dribble like a point guard and can shoot the 3 ball.He could dunk with both hands way above the rim as a 8th grader.He can block shots way up in the air.He can beat point gaurds off the dribble and take it to the hoop fast and strong.

He was one of the top 8th graders in the NATION! As a freshman he played for St Joe's State runner-up team last year! Go to you tube and type in Alonzo Gaffney and watch him play as a 8th grader.Listen to him being intervieved and listen to his coach talk about him as a 9th grader last year.

I hope his father finds a job soon.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-16, 11:27 AM
All District

Orrville Man is on a distinguished road
city of Orrville has jobs
Old 04-29-16, 11:36 AM
Varsity

starkcountysports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
Super star Alonzo Gaffney 6'8" is transferring to Canton McKinley.His father is looking for a job in Canton,Ohio.He can get a job in North Canton,Plain township,Jackson township,Massillon,and other surrounding areas as long as he lives in Canton.

Alonzo Gaffney is a sophomore to be,who as a big man can dribble like a point guard and can shoot the 3 ball.He could dunk with both hands way above the rim as a 8th grader.He can block shots way up in the air.He can beat point gaurds off the dribble and take it to the hoop fast and strong.

He was one of the top 8th graders in the NATION! As a freshman he played for St Joe's State runner-up team last year! Go to you tube and type in Alonzo Gaffney and watch him play as a 8th grader.Listen to him being intervieved and listen to his coach talk about him as a 9th grader last year.

I hope his father finds a job soon.

He's going to be a very special player but your scouting report is way off. Does not have the ball-handling or shooting range you claim. However, he can block shots, dunk and shoot mid-range
Old 04-29-16, 12:03 PM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Why did he leave Joes?
Old 04-29-16, 12:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkcountysports View Post
He's going to be a very special player but your scouting report is way off. Does not have the ball-handling or shooting range you claim. However, he can block shots, dunk and shoot mid-range

Alonzo Gaffney is Ohio's Kevin Durant - 6'6 8th grader - NEO Youth Elite National Camp
MiddleSchoolHoops
SubscribeSubscribedUnsubscribe31,96931K Loading...

Published on Jul 3, 2015
Alonzo Gaffney showed a striking resemblance to Kevin Durant at the 2015 NEO Youth Elite National Camp. The Class of 2019 prospect from Ohio can handle the ball on the perimeter and finish inside amongst the bigs. Alonzo Gaffney isn't as well known as some other rising 9th graders but his potential is absolutely off the charts. Remember the name...
  • Category
  • License
    • Standard YouTube License
Old 04-29-16, 12:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
Why did he leave Joes?
I don't know...But his sister Surya Gaffney played basketball at McKinley a few years back.

I read that Alonzo Gaffney is projected to be the best or 2nd best player in the State his senior year.
Old 04-29-16, 01:42 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
Is he enrolled yet ? He is VERY happy where he is at and will be on a team that will be the favorite to win the D3 title for the next few years. That is just basketball. Education is on a whole different level at VASJ. This is a great story but there may not be much truth to it. There has been zero rumors at all in Viking Village. Just to let you know, he has not left Joes.
Old 04-29-16, 01:50 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Is he enrolled yet ? He is VERY happy where he is at and will be on a team that will be the favorite to win the D3 title for the next few years. That is just basketball. Education is on a whole different level at VASJ. This is a great story but there may not be much truth to it. There has been zero rumors at all in Viking Village. Just to let you know, he has not left Joes.
I will say, the whole story sounds odd for a Cleveland/St Jerome family to pop up in Canton at McKinley and the dad doesn't even know if he has a job or not?? It doesn't even add up. It would be a lot more believable click bait if the story was Shaker, Garfield, or SVSM (with LeBron hooking up mom and dad with a house and a job), LOL .

Last edited by MugnMaul78; 04-29-16 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-29-16, 01:53 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkcountysports View Post
He has a sweet stroke and can hit the 3 ball nicely. As a 9th grader, I would say he was ahead of Carlton Bragg at this point of his scholastic career.

Last edited by MugnMaul78; 04-29-16 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-29-16, 02:15 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Uh oh wait till m2m, mack, and the rest of the Fed gang hear this.

Way to be low key BigDog geesh calm down man, lol.
Old 04-29-16, 02:51 PM
All American

If your child was a basketball player at the level of Alonzo - where would he excel more VASJ or McKinley ? Does not even make sense for a local kid to transfer that far away. In all the times I talked with his parents they seem to love the school. I would be very surprised if there is any truth to this rumor. Trust me all the kids on the Viking squad are very close, word would be out by now if there was even the slightest bit of truth to the story.
Old 04-29-16, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

Maxie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Uh oh wait till m2m, mack, and the rest of the Fed gang hear this.

Way to be low key BigDog geesh calm down man, lol.

Absolutely correct TigerPaw. The Federalists' lack of comments speaks volumes.
Old 04-29-16, 03:55 PM
All American

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
It's HS basketball--don't academics and Dad having a job mean something--sounds like an NBA Free Agent story--really who gives a damn what school a HS Soph to be goes to for 2016-17. Then what school does he go to for junior year or senior--play ball with your buddies, do well in school, Dad keep his job, and everything will be hunky-dory!!
Old 04-29-16, 05:06 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
I'm sure Coach Hackenberg will want him to recieve a faith based education. personally, I think he'd look good in green and white.
Old 04-30-16, 08:56 AM
All American

Caleb is on a distinguished road
Just do what Massillon does in football try and hire the father on the coaching staff if he brings his son. Pretty easy if you ask me.
Old 04-30-16, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

McKinley's coach has said several times that Gaffney will transfer to McKinley when/if his dad gets a job in Canton,Ohio.

Mr Gaffney was a super star basketball player in High School at Alliance High school close to Canton.Surya Gaffney played basketball at McKinley a few years back on the girls team.

Mr Gaffney is currently looking for a job in Canton,Ohio per McKinley's head coach.Of course he doesn't have to work in Canton as long as he lives in Canton.He can get a job in Canton or surrounding areas or even Akron etc. etc.

This is NOT a rumor.
Old 04-30-16, 01:25 PM
All American

Let us know when he enrolls.
Old 04-30-16, 01:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Let us know when he enrolls.
Mr Gaffney still has months to find a job...Will keep you updated.
Old 04-30-16, 02:57 PM
All American

He was asked by his teammates in school yesterday and laughed. I know his Mom LOVES the school. The only way I see any players leaving the powerhouse team VASJ has returning is if for some reason there is a coaching change. Alonzo will get WAY more attention at VASJ and the current staff has WAY more D1 connections. The Vikings are very used to dealing with high profile D1 prospects.
Old 04-30-16, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
He was asked by his teammates in school yesterday and laughed. I know his Mom LOVES the school. The only way I see any players leaving the powerhouse team VASJ has returning is if for some reason there is a coaching change. Alonzo will get WAY more attention at VASJ and the current staff has WAY more D1 connections. The Vikings are very used to dealing with high profile D1 prospects.
I see your not aware of Canton McKinley's storied basketball history.

Who has the most wins in the history of Ohio basketball?

What school in Ohio has the most players go on to the NBA?

What school has went to the State over 20 times?

What school in Ohio has the most wins in the NATION?

What school in Ohio has the best winning percentage in the NATION?

Canton McKinley would have beat VASJ last year!!

This is just off the top of my mind,there are more.
Old 04-30-16, 03:39 PM
Cooling Off

Frank Underwood has a little shameless behaviour in the past
If you're good enough you don't need coaches with d1 connections. They will find you.
Old 04-30-16, 04:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
I see your not aware of Canton McKinley's storied basketball history.

Who has the most wins in the history of Ohio basketball?

What school in Ohio has the most players go on to the NBA?

What school has went to the State over 20 times?

What school in Ohio has the most wins in the NATION?

What school in Ohio has the best winning percentage in the NATION?

Canton McKinley would have beat VASJ last year!!

This is just off the top of my mind,there are more.
I should have worded a couple things differently.McKinley is one of the top teams in the NATION in wins! McKinley is one of the top teams in the NATION with there winning percentage!!
Old 04-30-16, 07:28 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Don't care if he stays or transfers, and 2 great programs, but if the kid wants to go to McKinley or his dad wants to relocate to Stark then that is their business. I don't think he has to justify it or get approval from fans of other schools, lol.
Old 05-01-16, 10:19 AM
All American

Big Bulldog McKinley was at one time the best program in Ohio. You sound a lot like a Massillon football fan. VASJ will be one of the favorites to win the state title in D3 the next several years, not sure McKinley can say that in D1. The Bulldogs were pretty good this year, but that was expected with the good players they got from Timken. There are a lot of public school teams that would be very good if you combined two schools. Like I said it would be very surprising if there is any truth to this. I do not see any reason that makes sense where a neighborhood kid would pack up and leave and his Dad get a job a hour away, just for Basketball. He could find better public school programs a lot closer than Canton.
Old 05-01-16, 12:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Big Bulldog McKinley was at one time the best program in Ohio. You sound a lot like a Massillon football fan. VASJ will be one of the favorites to win the state title in D3 the next several years, not sure McKinley can say that in D1. The Bulldogs were pretty good this year, but that was expected with the good players they got from Timken. There are a lot of public school teams that would be very good if you combined two schools. Like I said it would be very surprising if there is any truth to this. I do not see any reason that makes sense where a neighborhood kid would pack up and leave and his Dad get a job a hour away, just for Basketball. He could find better public school programs a lot closer than Canton.
Are you saying that McKinley's head basketball coach is lying? He has said several times that Mr. Gaffney is looking for a job in Canton.When he finds a job Alonzo will transfer.Just like Surya Gaffney played basketball at McKinley a few years back.Mr Gaffney was a great basketball player in high school at Alliance not far from McKinley.He knows McKinley will once again be a State power with the merger of Timken and Canton McKinley.The bulldogs have a very good coach who is Black with black assistance coaches.

BTW-It wasn't long ago that Canton McKinley won back to back State Championships! While losing to the #1 team in the NATION by 1 point. They won the State Championship by 30 points one of those two years!!

Now with the merger of the two CANTON schools CANTON McKinley will return to the glory years! Gaffney will be a nice addition to Canton McKinley.
Old 05-01-16, 12:52 PM
All Region

madworld is on a distinguished road
I don't think anyone cares if he stays or goes, it's his family's choice. I think the perception is that it may not be the best move. Love him or hate him Babe gets kids into schools and they are ready when they get there. Maybe I'm wrong in speaking for others but it seems that if college and beyond is his goal he is currently on a successful and proven path. Yes McKinley has history but Joes had 3 starting/serious minute guys at division 1 college as freshman this past year.
Regardless I believe everyone wishes he and his family nothing but the best.
Old 05-01-16, 01:24 PM
All American

Why does it matter that McKinley has a black coach and a black staff ? Does that make them better than a white coach ? What color was the McKinley coach and staff last year when they sucked ?

McKinley is an all time great Ohio program, but they only have 3 titles. They are not an elite program. VASJ is currently positioned to be very good the next 3 years and possibly more depending on who is in this years incoming Freshman class. The list of D1 coaches that make trips to VASJ is a who's who of the coach fraternity. Alonzo will get way more looks the next three years as a Viking.

The whole idea that a black coach makes a difference actually makes you look pretty ignorant. VASJ has a good a coach and staff as anybody in Ohio and the quality of players that come back over the Summer to help our boys is unmatched. Alonzo would be going up against the likes of Bragg, Pardon, Parker, Gibson, Ward, Lighty, Barnes and several other Viking legends that can still ball out. There is NOTHING MCKinley can provide that is better than what he already has. Ask the kids who left VASJ to play at Cleveland Heights how the transfer went and how a early playoff loss to Twinsburg tasted. The ONLY reason the Bulldogs were good this season was it inherited a very talented Timken team.
Old 05-01-16, 06:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Why does it matter that McKinley has a black coach and a black staff ? Does that make them better than a white coach ? What color was the McKinley coach and staff last year when they sucked ?

McKinley is an all time great Ohio program, but they only have 3 titles. They are not an elite program. VASJ is currently positioned to be very good the next 3 years and possibly more depending on who is in this years incoming Freshman class. The list of D1 coaches that make trips to VASJ is a who's who of the coach fraternity. Alonzo will get way more looks the next three years as a Viking.

The whole idea that a black coach makes a difference actually makes you look pretty ignorant. VASJ has a good a coach and staff as anybody in Ohio and the quality of players that come back over the Summer to help our boys is unmatched. Alonzo would be going up against the likes of Bragg, Pardon, Parker, Gibson, Ward, Lighty, Barnes and several other Viking legends that can still ball out. There is NOTHING MCKinley can provide that is better than what he already has. Ask the kids who left VASJ to play at Cleveland Heights how the transfer went and how a early playoff loss to Twinsburg tasted. The ONLY reason the Bulldogs were good this season was it inherited a very talented Timken team.
If Mr Gaffney doesn't find a job in Canton you don't have to worry.But if he does Alonzo will be a bulldog. Mr Gaffney wants Alonzo to play at Canton McKinley.McKinley had some down years because Timken stold our kids(It's a long stary) but from now on Timken and McKinley kids all go to Canton McKinley and the transfers are already starting to come to McKinley again! McKinley used to have a ton of depth and currently have a ton of depth.McKinley is back to it's glory days and will be a NATIONAL power and name again! Mr Gaffney knows this and wants Alonzo to play there.

You just have to hope that McKinley doesn't hire Mr Gaffney if he brings his son along.

Old 05-01-16, 06:28 PM
All Ohio

JoeCool is on a distinguished road

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-16, 08:13 PM
All American

I love the way you avoided the color of the coach topic. Typical.

Why would he leave a team that is one of the best programs in Ohio, for a team TRYING to return to glory. Why would he leave for a team that is so deep as you say when he is the focal point on the top D3 team in Ohio. He could play for a state championship all 4 years at VASJ, like he did this year. There is an above average chance he would never sniff the Schott his final 3 years if he transfers. Those big time players left VASJ last year and we're going to return the Heights Tigers to glory, not even close. Quinton Dove transferred to Euclid and they were going to be a powerhouse again. They won like 5 games, lost to Solon by 70 and were bounced by Twinsburg as well. IF Zo is to transfer it would be a HUGE mistake from a basketball, education and a structure stand point. He is poised to do great things and is surrounded by great people who are experienced with the demands that a player like him has to deal with on and off the court.
Closed Thread