Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-23-14, 10:11 AM
All Ohio

John336 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
Ok, I will take the bait. But first define what "Better" means.

I will start with "better" at representing our country at basketball than:

Cook
Baker
Taylor
Johnson
TuTu Brown

So Kennard 1, the Dunbar Super friends 0.

Your up...
Yeah.... so I really don't know what that means better at representing the country?? Whatever dude sounds like you can't or don't want to answer the question.... so to define "better" I mean the overall skill set brought to the court. The skill set ranges from shooting and scoring, defending, rebounding, dribbling and footwork, and all the intangibles the great players have.
Old 06-23-14, 12:54 PM
All Region

Looseball is on a distinguished road
Cooke and Anderson were incredibly talented. Neither of them had the pro careers of John and Jim Paxson. John was a starting guard and part of the Bulls dynasty, and Jim was an NBA All Star several times. Lucas was not from the Dayton area. Including him reminds me of how the Dayton Daily News will selectively include a school in their ratings from miles away if they are having a good season. Don May and Bill Hosket, both All Americans who played in the NBA, rate ahead of Cooke and Anderson. I think some of your posters just never saw them.
Old 06-23-14, 01:00 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looseball View Post
Cooke and Anderson were incredibly talented. Neither of them had the pro careers of John and Jim Paxson. John was a starting guard and part of the Bulls dynasty, and Jim was an NBA All Star several times. Lucas was not from the Dayton area. Including him reminds me of how the Dayton Daily News will selectively include a school in their ratings from miles away if they are having a good season. Don May and Bill Hosket, both All Americans who played in the NBA, rate ahead of Cooke and Anderson. I think some of your posters just never saw them.
...What are you talking about dude? And have you noticed you are the only poster spelling Cook with an e?
Old 06-23-14, 01:02 PM
All Region

Yuckmouth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by John336 View Post
Yeah.... so I really don't know what that means better at representing the country?? Whatever dude sounds like you can't or don't want to answer the question.... so to define "better" I mean the overall skill set brought to the court. The skill set ranges from shooting and scoring, defending, rebounding, dribbling and footwork, and all the intangibles the great players have.
Luke
Pros:
Excellent shooter
High basketball IQ
Offensively Aggressive
Ball handling is average (Neither extremely fast or low)
Crafty (He gets you with change of speed and direction. Draws fouls)
Good size & Strenght

Cons:
Average speed and Athletism
At 6'5 he can dunk but he's not putting anyone on a poster
He doesn't play consistently above the rim
Average first step explosion

Overall:
I personally feel like I know guys who are very good players but play their roles on their high school teams and do not get the recognition because of it. I think he would have more respect from Dayton Alum if they actually saw him in the city against top talent in an arena outside of his school team. Many kids don't have that level of neon green light to put up his numbers. He is great at what he does but he would have trouble with the likes of Justin Bibbs. Norris was a very good high school player but he did not get the hype because he played summer ball locally. No coaches saw him same for Geron Johnson, same for Justin Bibbs until transferring to Monteverde. The kids who played on high level summer teams Adrien Payne, Juwan Staten, Cook all received major offers because they received the exposure. Cook even more so winning state. Norris performance in the state title game is what won him a scholarship. Cook was the focus of the defense and Norris walked away as MVP.
Old 06-23-14, 01:48 PM
All Region

Perk Diggler is on a distinguished road
Good Points Yukmouth... Geron Johnson had some big time schools on him up until he got in trouble. He's better as a person and player because of the trouble he got into as a youngster. If I had to choose between Geron and... I'd choose Geron all day.
Old 06-23-14, 02:20 PM
All Region

Kennard is way better than Bibbs, but Bibbs is very good as well. When all of the biggest Coaches in the country want a player they are not all wrong.
Old 06-23-14, 04:18 PM
Varsity

nelmo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuckmouth View Post
He is great at what he does but he would have trouble with the likes of Justin Bibbs.
You do realize Kennard as a freshmen beat Bibbs as a sophomore in an epic duel, right?
Old 06-23-14, 04:22 PM
Varsity

nelmo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looseball View Post
When all of the biggest Coaches in the country want a player they are not all wrong.
This is crazy talk. It's common knowledge on Yappi that if Coach K would simply take the All City League team each year he'd have 10 rings instead of 4.
Old 06-23-14, 05:41 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelmo View Post
This is crazy talk. It's common knowledge on Yappi that if Coach K would simply take the All City League team each year he'd have 10 rings instead of 4.
Could care less is Coach K wanted him..... thats not what we are talking about the question is Luke Kennards basketball skill set greater than any of these five players I have named?

Daequan Cook
Mark Baker
Kurt Taylor
Geron Johnson
Richard TuTu Brown
Old 06-23-14, 06:05 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
I think a guy that could hand pick his college in basketball, and could choose from a long list of football schools also, would have to be considered a pretty good athlete. He won Mr. Ohio basketball and was all state in football.

On a side note. I believe he is in the top 3 in his class academically and has over a 4.0 GPA. Give me that any day. I think being a smart athlete is overlooked. Being smart is very beneficial when it comes to playing high division 1 basketball.

Sometimes it's not how high a guy can jump, his measurables, his 40 time, etc etc. Sometimes its being head strong, being smart, and not listening to knuckleheads like us on here. Combine it all and he is a can't miss prospect with IMO. Coach K should be jumping for joy.
Old 06-23-14, 07:05 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
and sometimes a kid doesn't jump "high" because he doesn't have to, not because he can't. I suppose it's really only a couple years to see how his athleticism compares to top jump out the gym athletes. Don't suppose anyone is willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until then?

Dayton has such a strong b-ball history, it's not a shame if even a national recruit doesn't crack someone's top ten. Not an insult at all.
Old 06-23-14, 07:20 PM
All Region

willardfan45 is on a distinguished road
I don't think anyone can rank him as a Dayton all-time great because he only plays against current Dayton competition during the summer or tourney time. I think he is a special talent, but you can argue all day about what his stats would be playing against Dayton schools on a nightly basis. Playing in the SWBL does no justice for him or his numbers.
Old 06-23-14, 09:05 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Did the 18 he put up in one quarter against Thurgood not seem legit? And Thurgood was trying to make a point about how good their defense is!!! Opps, now he wore out, and only ended up with 31 i think. He was very disappointed about putting up 31 :-) in the tourney..

The folks talking about lets give this time and see have some great points. Also the point about just that he is even in the debate (which most should at least concided to) shows the level of skill he is at.

I am convinced this will not pan out into we see what happens down the line. I think we all need to get to a gym and see him play, I wish I would have seen some of the people mentioned on this list play back in the day..
Old 06-23-14, 09:46 PM
All American

Captain Awesome is on a distinguished road
He put 33 on Bibbs as a freshman I don't think you can say Bibbs would lock him down.
Old 06-24-14, 01:46 AM
All Region

Bibbs would lock him down today make no mistake he drew the best player on the opposite side of the ball playing the best kids in the country and his team is the reigning and defending national champs. Bibbs had 25 in that epic battle then he is far better today and can put his elbow on the rim. Physical measures matter that's why they take them. The only thing else that matters is heart. Kennard scored 10 of his 31 in garbage time and he shot how many shots to get 31. 31 points in a lost where you get handed your hat is not an accomplishment. What did Rayshawn Martin, Davion Ashe, Derrick Daniels, and Tremaine Hawkins have. People keep bringing up awards to justify his worth as a player. You deal in politics when you justify without facts. Justin Bibs is capable of putting up 40 a night in swbl. Justin Bibbs played and started on the consensus #1 team in the country. His role changed at Montverde to defender, slasher. He carried the offense at Cj who by the way played anybody during the regular season and every city team. I hate to compare players it's Apple and oranges but just is 10 times the defender Kennard is to date. Kennard is only a better shooter. Luke will represent Duke well, he will graduate that is really what matters most. Some of you need to travel and see basketball outside your box.
Old 06-24-14, 01:52 AM
All Region

Bibbs would lock him down today make no mistake he drew the best player on the opposite side of the ball playing the best kids in the country and his team is the reigning and defending national champs. Bibbs had 25 in that epic battle then he is far better today and can put his elbow on the rim. Physical measures matter that's why they take them. The only thing else that matters is heart. Kennard scored 10 of his 31 in garbage time and he shot how many shots to get 31. 31 points in a lost where you get it handed your hat is not an accomplishment. What did Rayshawn Martin, Davion Ashe, Derrick Daniels, and Tremaine Hawkins have. People keep bringing up awards to justify his worth as a player. You deal in politics when you justify without facts. Justin Bibs is capable of putting up 40 a night in swbl. Justin Bibbs played and started on the consensus #1 team in the country. His role changed at Montverde to defender, slasher. He carried the offense at Cj who by the way played anybody during the regular season and every city team. I hate to compare players it's Apple and oranges but just is 10 times the defender Kennard is to date. Kennard is only a better shooter. Luke will represent Duke well, he will graduate that is really what matters most. Some of you need to travel and see basketball outside your box.
Old 06-24-14, 02:46 AM
All Region

It's not like Bibbs and Kennard guarded each other in that game. High school coaches rarely risk foul trouble by putting their best player on the other teams best. And, Bibbs had more help playing with Staley's son. In fact, I think the coach's son was Cj's leading scorer that year, but I could be mistaken. Then again, Kennard had the big twins and that little shooting guard. Great game.
Old 06-24-14, 08:04 AM
All Region

AJK091610 is on a distinguished road
When Luke put up 31 on Thurgood he was 11-20 from the field and 5-5 from the line.. Dont think anyone shut him down.. Dude just got wore down.. TM ran 4 different guys at him and they were all fresh. He played the whole game... There are several guys in the city league that could average 40 a game in the SWBL but they would not win the SWBL.. Luke's complete skill set is as good as anyone in the county he just isnt as athletic as some which apparently on here makes you a basketball player.. If you take the best player off the DPS team but them on the SWBL and you still get beat in the sectional final.. Now put Luke on Dunbar or TM and you get a state championship.. thats the difference some of you cant or neglect to see.. Last year Franklin player 7 teams outside of the SWBL.. Mullins SC, Bishop Laughin NY, HCYA TX, Taylor County KY, Springboro, Alter and Thurgood Marshall.... He averaged 34 a game on 76-131 from the field.. that is an average of just under 19 shots a game and just under 60% from the field... Just saying.................
Old 06-24-14, 08:33 AM
All Region

Why did you leave out Moeller? You know, the game Luke chose to "sit out".
Old 06-26-14, 08:39 AM
All American

#letsgetit is on a distinguished road
No way in the top 10 all time! That's not an insult in any way shape or form. Imo no matter which way you measure he falls short of the top 10. Franklin fans shouldn't be upset by the comment. Just study your history a bit......d.cook, Mark baker, Ivan Patterson, Lee Benson, Jervaughn Scales, geron Johnson, Jamie Skelton, Juan Staten,tu tu Brown, Darnell Hahn, Anthony Talley,Chris Wright, Steve Wright, n.Cole, Frankie Sanders, Ron Harper,Jeff Graham,Deon Jackson, Romano Sato, Kirk Taylor,JohnPaxson,Jim Parsons,jimmy pollard, a payne...I could go on and on....

Last edited by #letsgetit; 06-26-14 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-26-14, 09:41 AM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #letsgetit View Post
No way in the top 10 all time! That's not an insult in any way shape or form. Imo no matter which way you measure he falls short of the top 10. Franklin fans shouldn't be upset by the comment. Just study your history a bit......d.cook, Mark baker, Ivan Patterson, Lee Benson, Jervaughn Scales, geron Johnson, Jamie Skelton, Juan Staten,tu tu Brown, Darnell Hahn, Anthony Talley,Chris Wright, Steve Wright, n.Cole, Frankie Sanders, Ron Harper,Jeff Graham,Deon Jackson, Romano Sato, Kirk Taylor,JohnPaxson,Jim Parsons,jimmy pollard, a payne...I could go on and on....
How many of those made a national team of any kind?
Old 06-26-14, 09:58 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
A few did. ..Jimmy pollards career was very similar to Luke. .averaged over 30 a game(with no 3 point line) went on to play at a major college with 3 future nba team mates. ..btw making a national team is a GREAT accomplishment but doesn't mean he is better player than someone who didn't. Especially someone from a different era. Luke is an incredible talent, but it seems anyone who thinks he isn't the greatest is looked at as someone who dogs Jesus
Old 06-26-14, 10:03 AM
All American

Quote:
15 of them either played for or WON STATE TITLES! But that's just the era we live in...more are concerned with all star teams, aau accomplishments and magazine ratings than WINNING! !
Old 06-26-14, 12:50 PM
All Region

Perk Diggler is on a distinguished road
The talent pool is slightly watered down these days...

Quote:
Alot more goes into making a National Team besides just being able to play basketball. Luke by no means needs to be ashamed by anything he's accomplished by the way. It's not his fault he was born in the late 90s. Shouts to him and his family and that Gold Medal he won.
Old 06-26-14, 01:27 PM
All Ohio

For all the posters dropping impressive list of players that Kennard is no where near better than. What would he have to do his Senior year to change your mind?
Old 06-26-14, 01:41 PM
All American

Quote:
For all the posters dropping impressive list of players that Kennard is no where near better than. What would he have to do his Senior year to change your mind?
He has time to move up but I just don't see him by passing many of those I named. Btw, how many of those names have you seen play??? Once again I am NOT taking away anything from Luke, but Dayton is rich in basketball talent
Old 06-26-14, 01:49 PM
All Ohio

I have personally played against most of the names on that list during summer and Y time against those guys who are older than 1986 class. I have defintly seen all of them after 1986 in person, mostly at various state tournament sites... Playing against really is not great to tell as you get various states of development. For example Staten just played againt when he was a junion in high school, and now he 1000 times better. But it can give you perspective..

Does this make me an expert on anything, nope. I actuially think playing against someone can hidden your impression for the worse of skill.. One thing I can say, that everone metioned so far are amazing basketball players..
Old 06-26-14, 01:54 PM
All American

Quote:
I have personally played against most of the names on that list during summer and Y time against those guys who are older than 1986 class. I have defintly seen all of them after 1986 in person, mostly at various state tournament sites... Playing against really is not great to tell as you get various states of development. For example Staten just played againt when he was a junion in high school, and now he 1000 times better. But it can give you perspective..

Does this make me an expert on anything, nope. I actuially think playing against someone can hidden your impression for the worse of skill.. One thing I can say, that everone metioned so far are amazing basketball players..
The DPS in the 90s was ridiculously talented. Many of those players may not of made national teams.however,it was a different era then. No recruiting magazine saturation, social media etc....I mean seriously could you imagine the numbers Jervaughn Scales or tu tu Brown would put up in today's swbl?
Old 06-26-14, 01:55 PM
All Region

AJK091610 is on a distinguished road
hypothetically lets say Luke gets Franklin out of the sectional and they win a state championship... Is he then one of the GREATS???
Old 06-26-14, 02:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJK091610 View Post
hypothetically lets say Luke gets Franklin out of the sectional and they win a state championship... Is he then one of the GREATS???
Yes sir!! If he were to carry them to a title imo he could move as high as top 5