Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-20-14, 08:45 PM
All Region

AJK091610 is on a distinguished road
Middie I cant argue with the championships.. No Franklin team has ever made State or regionals for that matter. The last 7 or 8 sectional champs have won state or finished 2nd... So so effin hard to get out of Dayton DII sectional.. I think EVERYONE has a valid point about championships but just because the team doesnt make it does not mean Kennard is not a Dayton great.. BTW just lead team USA with 30 tonight.. I know I know the team they played sucked and his team mates are horrible and he ball hoged going 10-15..
Old 06-20-14, 08:58 PM
GO MIDDIES

Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJK091610 View Post
Middie I cant argue with the championships.. No Franklin team has ever made State or regionals for that matter. The last 7 or 8 sectional champs have won state or finished 2nd... So so effin hard to get out of Dayton DII sectional.. I think EVERYONE has a valid point about championships but just because the team doesnt make it does not mean Kennard is not a Dayton great.. BTW just lead team USA with 30 tonight.. I know I know the team they played sucked and his team mates are horrible and he ball hoged going 10-15..
I hear you. Very hard to get out the Div 1 Region as well. Luke is definitely a Dayton Great, no question and if he tears it up in college it will definitely be hard for people to say he also isn't one of Ohio's great ones and I wouldn't sure wouldn't disagree. You know he could transfer to Middletown and play with big EJ
Old 06-20-14, 09:14 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie 85 Alum View Post
I hear you. Very hard to get out the Div 1 Region as well. Luke is definitely a Dayton Great, no question and if he tears it up in college it will definitely be hard for people to say he also isn't one of Ohio's great ones and I wouldn't sure wouldn't disagree. You know he could transfer to Middletown and play with big EJ
Or EJ could transfer to Franklin and help try to take down town the DPS and GCL.. LOL
Old 06-21-14, 01:07 AM
All Ohio

member1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Smh! Scoring 30 a 100 pt win vs. Uruguay is nothing to brag about. Nothing at all. I wish this kid the best because he will never be able to live up to the expectations of his fans.
Old 06-21-14, 05:33 AM
All District

"David Thorne" is on a distinguished road
[/QUOTE]I wish this kid the best because he will never be able to live up to the expectations of his fans.[QUOTE]

Damon Bailey(former Indiana HS legend and Indiana Hoosier)all over again...is that what the people outside of Franklin think of Luke?

Last edited by "David Thorne"; 06-21-14 at 05:34 AM. Reason: needed quotes in there
Old 06-21-14, 06:14 AM
Varsity

SWOHD3Hoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by member1 View Post
Smh! Scoring 30 a 100 pt win vs. Uruguay is nothing to brag about. Nothing at all.
Not sure if this was sarcastic or not....but...... scoring 30pts in a 100pt win while representing this country is something to brag about. The lengths some people go to diminish this kids accomplishments is as ridiculous as the Franklin posters who think everything he does is newsworthy
Old 06-21-14, 07:39 AM
All Region

Quote:
Smh! Scoring 30 a 100 pt win vs. Uruguay is nothing to brag about. Nothing at all. I wish this kid the best because he will never be able to live up to the expectations of his fans.
MemberOne..The whole United States knew about Damon Bailey when he was in the 8th grade. Heck there are people around here who are just now hearing of Luke going into his senior year. The comparison I understand but not in the same ball park.. I think most people on here and around here have the wrong impression of what the people from Franklin think of Luke and want for Luke... I am from Franklin and let me tell you everyone is PROUD of what this young man has done on and off the court.. Most of us are more proud of what a great young man he is.. The people from Franklin do not think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.. We think he is a great and outstanding basketball player and everyone wants him to acheive all of HIS goals.. Most people get frustrated myself included when people say he is not that good or he is over-rated. If all the haters out there yourself included would just open their eyes take the color or his skin out and admit what a great player he is. I am sure A LOT of the talk
Old 06-21-14, 08:42 AM
All Region

BigVic1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
MemberOne..The whole United States knew about Damon Bailey when he was in the 8th grade. Heck there are people around here who are just now hearing of Luke going into his senior year. The comparison I understand but not in the same ball park.. I think most people on here and around here have the wrong impression of what the people from Franklin think of Luke and want for Luke... I am from Franklin and let me tell you everyone is PROUD of what this young man has done on and off the court.. Most of us are more proud of what a great young man he is.. The people from Franklin do not think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.. We think he is a great and outstanding basketball player and everyone wants him to acheive all of HIS goals.. Most people get frustrated myself included when people say he is not that good or he is over-rated. If all the haters out there yourself included would just open their eyes take the color or his skin out and admit what a great player he is. I am sure A LOT of the talk
The people of Franklin should be Proud of him...He is a Great young man and a good basketball player.... History will judge how great a player he is, he still has 1 more year to play...
Old 06-21-14, 09:51 AM
GO MIDDIES

Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVic1 View Post
The people of Franklin should be Proud of him...He is a Great young man and a good basketball player.... History will judge how great a player he is, he still has 1 more year to play...
Well said Vic. I am sure history will see him in a positive light
Old 06-21-14, 10:15 AM
All Ohio

member1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I never mentioned Bailey that was some other dude responding to my opinion. Not once have I ever mentioned his skin color. Not one time. Although I have on a couple occasions eluded to race as a theme when necessary this has not been the case. My point is the amount of follow and press this kid get will always be more pressure on him then any game he will every play. I think they kid is a check of a player with a skill that is highly coveted. His shot! He is a slightly above average athlete in a very below average league of athletes. I stand on my opinion that his 40 a game would be 20 in a tougher conference. That's still pretty good! And it's my opinion, no one has to agree. But don't call it hating if it's not what you agree with....Finally bragging about him scoring 30 in a 100 point victory does not prove anything one way or another. Its pointless. I been watching and coaching basketball all over this country for 25 years and from what I have seen my opinion has been formulated to believe that his career will be similar to that of Dieblar. And that is pretty dang good. If he does better or worse good for him regardless because he should only live up to the expectations he sets for himself, not some of the nuts that think he is the next LeBron.
Old 06-21-14, 03:41 PM
All American

Middies97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I never mentioned Bailey that was some other dude responding to my opinion. Not once have I ever mentioned his skin color. Not one time. Although I have on a couple occasions eluded to race as a theme when necessary this has not been the case. My point is the amount of follow and press this kid get will always be more pressure on him then any game he will every play. I think they kid is a check of a player with a skill that is highly coveted. His shot! He is a slightly above average athlete in a very below average league of athletes. I stand on my opinion that his 40 a game would be 20 in a tougher conference. That's still pretty good! And it's my opinion, no one has to agree. But don't call it hating if it's not what you agree with....Finally bragging about him scoring 30 in a 100 point victory does not prove anything one way or another. Its pointless. I been watching and coaching basketball all over this country for 25 years and from what I have seen my opinion has been formulated to believe that his career will be similar to that of Dieblar. And that is pretty dang good. If he does better or worse good for him regardless because he should only live up to the expectations he sets for himself, not some of the nuts that think he is the next LeBron.
Speaking of Lebron, isn't Luke one of the handful of people that he chose to play for his AAU team? Luke made a believer out of me when I saw his tournament game this year against Thurgood this year when he dropped close to 20 in the first quarter. I know alot of people discredit that because they say he fizzled at the end and that's cool, your opinion. I personally won't fault a guy for being fatigued after having a wave of athletes defend you all night and you're not getting much help with anything else (rebounding, ball handling, etc.)

And as a Black guy, I have no problem saying this conversation would look a little different if Luke was a black kid named Jamal who played in the city league and was selected as one of the 12 best high school kids IN THE COUNTRY to play for the under 18 national team, and could go to any school that he wanted, and had every big time college coach asking him to play at their school. Again, just my opinion, it's cool if you don't agree.
Old 06-21-14, 05:42 PM
All Region

memberone my bad i misread that this morning.. I have never heard anyone say he is the next LeBron and if ANYONE has they are INSANE or just a huge fan.. You are 100% right his leauge is not some what below average it is way below average and no he would not put up 40 a night in the GMC or GCL.. He would not need to because of the talent around him.. He is still averaging over 30 a game against the best teams he can play.. Bishop Gorman, Dunbar, Thurgood Marshall, they team from KY and yes that includes the team from NY who did the best job of defending him I have seen.. As to the point of Luke scoring 30 last night being pointless when was the last DPS or GMC or GCL player to score 30 representing his county..
Old 06-21-14, 07:17 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
... Luke would have been the 6th or 8th man on some of those Dunbar and Roth Teams. Really...Sorry.
Really?

Old 06-21-14, 08:47 PM
All Ohio

John336 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
Really?

I dont think thats a far fetched notion to think he could potentially come off the bench with the 87 team and maybe the 06 team....ijs
Old 06-22-14, 12:32 AM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by John336 View Post
I dont think thats a far fetched notion to think he could potentially come off the bench with the 87 team and maybe the 06 team....ijs
Yes, that is mars lander rover whatever far fetched. I saw the goof balls from Tipp City about beat that 06 team twice. There best player was Luke Kennard, as an 8th grader.

I understand about 80% of the folks on here have it right. He is a great player that needs a few more historical reference points to be in the all time great. In my opinion his resume is there if you just go by accomplishments at local and national level. Some folks disagree and there are good reason for there. Its the knuclepuck fatbaggers who ensist who could not make Dunbar at year whatever that is out of touch.
Old 06-22-14, 07:55 AM
Varsity

KneeJerk96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
Yes, that is mars lander rover whatever far fetched. I saw the goof balls from Tipp City about beat that 06 team twice. There best player was Luke Kennard, as an 8th grader.

I understand about 80% of the folks on here have it right. He is a great player that needs a few more historical reference points to be in the all time great. In my opinion his resume is there if you just go by accomplishments at local and national level. Some folks disagree and there are good reason for there. Its the knuclepuck fatbaggers who ensist who could not make Dunbar at year whatever that is out of touch.
Few things here.... The Tipp team was a solid team in 06 and 07 making it to the regionals both years. Dunbar 06 team never played Tipp, it was the 07 team that split with Tipp. Secondly I never said he couldn't crack the starting lineup on any Dunbar squad that a joke. I think comparing him to Dieblar is fair and I do think Luke is a more complete player.

Again if you went by Talent alone not his resume he would not be a top ten guy out of Dayton....not at this point.
Old 06-22-14, 08:09 AM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Quote:

They didn't have a player as good as Luke but that Tipp team was very good
Old 06-22-14, 12:17 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sorry, but I just don't buy that. I can't believe that some Dunbar or Roth teams had six or seven players better than Kennard...six or seven players good enough to be ranked Top 25 in the nation and good enough to get scholarship offers from Duke, Kentucky, Ohio State, etc. and good enough to make the USA National U-18 team and then lead them in scoring. And, all from little old Dayton! What are the odds of that?

I'm sure those were some talented Ohio high school teams, but highly doubtful they had the very best talent in the USA (all from Dayton!)... maybe not even in Ohio those years. Kennard is a national 4-5 star talent. Not all those Dunbar/Roth players were. I trust Coach K's judgment of talent.
Old 06-22-14, 07:24 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeJerk96 View Post
Few things here.... The Tipp team was a solid team in 06 and 07 making it to the regionals both years. Dunbar 06 team never played Tipp, it was the 07 team that split with Tipp. Secondly I never said he couldn't crack the starting lineup on any Dunbar squad that a joke. I think comparing him to Dieblar is fair and I do think Luke is a more complete player.

Again if you went by Talent alone not his resume he would not be a top ten guy out of Dayton....not at this point.
Well then you have to define talent then:

What I see:

Elite shooter from the set and the pull up
The vision of an elite quarterback
Good Size for a SG
Plenty good enough vertical jump
Good quickness
Good Speed
Very Good Ball handler
Elite Rebounder for the SG position
Elite Passer

Negatives:
Individual defense
Finishing against length

Please bring what talent gaps I am missing, because if what I have listed is not a skill set that is Elite for the Dayton are, then I got something way wrong..Please correct above what I have incorrect..
Old 06-22-14, 07:41 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
US/Argentina game.. live http://fibaamericas.com/en/default.asp?lang=en

Last edited by vamp2syd; 06-22-14 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-22-14, 07:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
en english por favor. Thank you!!
Old 06-22-14, 10:56 PM
All Ohio

John336 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well then you have to define talent then:

What I see:

Elite shooter from the set and the pull up
The vision of an elite quarterback
Good Size for a SG
Plenty good enough vertical jump
Good quickness
Good Speed
Very Good Ball handler
Elite Rebounder for the SG position
Elite Passer

Negatives:
Individual defense
Finishing against length

Please bring what talent gaps I am missing, because if what I have listed is not a skill set that is Elite for the Dayton are, then I got something way wrong..Please correct above what I have incorrect..
Just keep it simple... Do you believe that Luke is better than the following, or better yet do you think it is concievable for these five guys to be better than Luke Kennard.

Daequan Cook
Mark Baker
Kurt Taylor
Geron Johnson
Richard TuTu Brown
Old 06-23-14, 12:47 AM
All Region

Yuckmouth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just keep it simple... Do you believe that Luke is better than the following, or better yet do you think it is concievable for these five guys to be better than Luke Kennard.

Daequan Cook
Mark Baker
Kurt Taylor
Geron Johnson
Richard TuTu Brown
Not familiar with Kurt Taylor but everyone else on your list is better in my opinion. No one in the area can hardly score on Geron Johnson. There is a hype machine at play and I will always feel the best kid on the best team is your mvp. In this case Mr. Basketball I believe you should have to make it to columbus to even be considered.
Old 06-23-14, 01:13 AM
All Region

Yuckmouth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelmo View Post
Define "talent".

I would think a pretty strong indicator of talent would be the evaluation of guys who get paid millions of dollars to do it professionally. You know, the Hall of Fame type coaches like K, Cal, and Roy. The vast majority of people listed in recent posts received regional college interest at best. Luke Kennard got offers from college basketball royalty. Call me crazy, but that would seem to hold a little more weight than what is happening in the games down at the Y.
Recruiting is part hype and projections. Family make up, work ethic,grades, many things go into recruiting a kid and he has all those measurables. He has done the work but also has benefits from playing on a top exposure EYBL team.

http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/4940925

Check his numbers against high quality competition

He would not dominate the level of competition in Dayton on a nightly basis...not yet and you can't win by yourself. You can set records but every year they run into a team of talent and do not understand the concept of sacrificing personal numbers for team. He must score for his team to win. Let him get to college forge his own legacy and hopefully he gets a chance to make basketball his career if that is his dream.
Old 06-23-14, 07:03 AM
All Ohio

Quote:

Daequan Cook
Mark Baker
Kurt Taylor
Geron Johnson
Richard TuTu Brown
Ok, I will take the bait. But first define what "Better" means.

I will start with "better" at representing our country at basketball than:

Cook
Baker
Taylor
Johnson
TuTu Brown

So Kennard 1, the Dunbar Super friends 0.

Your up...
Old 06-23-14, 07:59 AM
All Ohio

sportsguy
Quote:
Norris would have averaged 35 in the SWBL... Just sayin!
Norris wouldn't get 30 in a USA Basketball game...just sayin.
Old 06-23-14, 09:04 AM
All District

ruskin is on a distinguished road
Is Luke Kennard better then Dwight Anderson?.... I never seen Dwight play, but there are NBA Hall of famers on record saying he was the real deal!!!! I think I see both sides of the arguement. I think Luke is a good player. But there has been some major league talent to come out of dayton that you guys just didnt venture down into the City to see...... IMO!!
Old 06-23-14, 09:24 AM
All Region

Perk Diggler is on a distinguished road
#Stopit

There are a host of things that go in to kids being heavily recruited, ranked, and considered for Team USA. The other thing that I'd say is the talent pool is WATERED DOWN!! Alot of these kids that are nationally ranked would not have been had they came around in the 80s and 90s. Even with that being said Luke is very good and we just need to let this kid live. He's only 17 for cyring out loud and has alot of room to grow. One last thing this kid is WAY better than Diebler.
Old 06-23-14, 09:25 AM
All Region

NO Luke is not as good as Dwight Anderson nor Jerry Lucus.. Those two are hands down the best out of dayton PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-14, 09:38 AM
All District

ruskin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
NO Luke is not as good as Dwight Anderson nor Jerry Lucus.. Those two are hands down the best out of dayton PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay so we have Dwight Anderson, Jerry Lucas and Daequan Cook who we know was better then Luke. Can you name 7 more LEGIT not just Local all stars.