Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-10-17, 01:32 PM
All Region

pigskin13 is on a distinguished road
In answer to Lebron's post #240...

Indian Valley
If you are talking about Indian Valley LB/TE/T/FG Holder Brennon O'Connor, he graduated.
IV also loses their top Reciever WR Wyatt Garabrandt 267 yds and their top Rusher Cory Carlisle 815 yds. They do return a large class of JR's to be, a lot of them started last season.

Ridgewood Graduated a lot of talent. I look for Kolton Alexander {last year's backup) to take over at QB. The Schwab boys will anchor both sides of the line, Javon Merrill is a good DE, look for him to see more action on Offense. And I'm sure Jarret Slusser will contribute more this season.

Tusky Valley is a mystery, 3 years ago the were 0-10, they went 5-5. I thought they were headed in the right direction but regressed last year to 3-7. Jr. Ethan Love will enter his 3rd season as the starting QB and 5'6" 206 Seth Johnson is a bowling ball at FB. They lose 1,055 yard rusher Kodey Lewis.

Newcomerstown is going to struggle. Most of the skill players from last season graduated. No idea what happened to the coach.

Garaway, like Ridgewood loses a lot but do return Brady Winters who had 621 yards receiving 10 TDS and 327 yds rushing 5 TDs. Look for Soph. Dawson Ley to take over at QB 9 of 12 93 yards with 1 TD as R. J. Jacobs backup. Watch for Soph. Matthew Mullins to make big contributions this year

Sandy Valley loses a lot also, led by QB Nelson Mozden 1,714 yards passing 17 TD's and 230 yards rushing with 6 TD's.
Returning is RB Dray Bracken 448 yards rushing, Soph RB Brendan O'Bradovich 365 yards. Look for other skill guys to step up Brad Smith, Bryce Kelly and Dante Tucci. The OL\DL will need some work as C Adam Ruegg is the only returning starter.

Strasburg, I don't know about Jerrod Willoughby being a stud, looked OK to me, but not a stud. They graduate about half the team including battering ram RB Jared Burnworth.
Justin Stropky is a good RB returning. They run a double tight, full house or power I offense, they pass very little.

TCC loses most of their skill guys, QB Dean Green over 2,000 yards passing 491 rushing.
WR Beau Beamer 45 receptions 737 yards 14 TD's, WR Austin Dick 706 yards, WR Nick Sciarretti 265 yards 4 TD's. And staring RB Brandon Ledbetter. Sciarretti was also the backup QB.
WR Nathan Price 397 yards 3 TDS. is the only starting skill player returning. Zach Ledbetter returns on both sides of the line.

Malvern returns most of their skill guys QB Drew Hutchison 1,320 passing returns and is a multi year starter. RB Austin Patterson 536 yards, TE Jake Foster 52 receptions 543 yards, WR Jake Mosher 21 receptions and all around RB\LB Gavin Potts 291 rushing, 265 receiving and 80 tackles all return.

East Canton loses the 2 headed monster at RB James McCullough 800 yards and Travis Nelson 1,159 yards, Multi year starting QB Mitch Mitchell returns 800 yards passing. 6'4" WR Anthony Baad is back 16 receptions for 364 yards and 5 TD's.

Buckeye Trail will be right in the thick of the small division race. RB Austin Snodgrass, RB\WR Chase Stillion and TE\DE Geno Ciznadia are all very good players.

P.S. You can watch a lot of last season's IVC games on two websites, both TV-2 New Philadelphia and Big Time Sports have games archived. Claymont, Indian Valley, Garaway, Sandy Valley, TCC, Starsburg, Tusky Valley. I's suggest the Garaway-Sandy Valley week 5 game, one of the best I watched last season. Also, on youtube Storied Rivals has good highlights of 8 Ridgewood games and a couple of Claymont from last season.

Last edited by pigskin13; 04-10-17 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-11-17, 08:13 AM
Freshman

Lebron is on a distinguished road
Thanks a lot. Buckeye Trail competed well in the PVC for the most part the past 15 years or so except for Fort Frye. Fort Frye was definitely the class of the league, as they made a nice playoff run last year. They played Fort Frye tight for a half.

BT did beat a nice Barnesville team but lost to a struggling Shenandoah team. Most people expected Trail to beat Shenandoah and lose top Barnesville.

Meadowbrook, a game where BT didnt have the most athletes but clearly had the better team. That meadowbrook team was so athletic, Trail coaches say they had more athletes than River, Fort Frye and Barnesville.

They played River tight, but it was a wet field, the week prior they struggled against West Muskingum, they were without Pontius.

By week 10 they had their offense moving once again as Pontius got healthy and had a big game against Monroe Central.
Old 04-12-17, 07:26 AM
Freshman

RubberChickenII is on a distinguished road
Merrill for Ridgewood was a senior.
Ridgewood lost 9 starters on defense, back are Schwab and Alexander, and 9 on offense back are Schwab and Zach Wright. Total 18 of 22 starters.
Old 04-12-17, 08:21 AM
Freshman

Redline is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChickenII View Post
Ridgewood lost 9 starters on defense, back are Schwab and Alexander, and 9 on offense back are Schwab and Zach Wright. Total 18 of 22 starters.
I think Claymont may be the class of the league this year just due to the experience coming back. I believe that upcoming junior class at IV has been good in every sport haven't they?

I don't see how people are saying Ridgewood is going to be fine next year. Seems like that's a lot of talent to try and replace. Maybe they should have requested to be in the small side for "travel" purposes.

Sad situation what has happened in Newcomerstown. Was a very solid program in the 90's. What has caused it to fall on such hard times?
Old 04-12-17, 08:36 AM
Freshman

Johnny Moxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Chicken, does Ridgewood have a freshman (going to be soph next fball season) that is pretty good? Played some rb when your starter got hurt?
18 out of 22 starters, ouch. sounds like a rebuild to me. Will Ridgewood be okay in a year or 2?

Claymont or IV will win the league.
Old 04-12-17, 10:56 AM
Freshman

I am sure Claymont and Indian Valley are not pleased to have to play Buckeye Trail and Buckeye Trail is not pleased to play them!
Old 04-12-17, 11:50 AM
All Region

Quote:
Thanks for the correction Rubber. The Friday Night Ohio website had him listed as a Jr.

FNO also has both Schwab boys as Jr's last year. Are both back this year?
I thought Ian and Seth were 2 way starters, both in the OL and Seth on the DL with Ian at LB. I think some other guys are ready to step into starting roles like Tyler Caudy, Jarrett Slusser, Kaden Smith, and the Wood might have the most reliable K coming back in Claxon. They have one of the best coaches in the league, they have a tradition of winning and they expect to win.
I think they will be just fine.

Last edited by pigskin13; 04-12-17 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-12-17, 11:54 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
I am sure Claymont and Indian Valley are not pleased to have to play Buckeye Trail and Buckeye Trail is not pleased to play them!
I, as a Claymont fan don't mind. At least BT moved up to D-6 for the coming season, so the Mustang's don't have to play any D-7 teams.
Old 04-12-17, 12:19 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
I, as a Claymont fan don't mind. At least BT moved up to D-6 for the coming season, so the Mustang's don't have to play any D-7 teams.
Old 04-12-17, 12:34 PM
All Region

[QUOTE=Redline;6748425]I think Claymont may be the class of the league this year just due to the experience coming back. QUOTE]

I agree the Mustangs have the most coming back. I just wonder how good they could be if two very good players were still with the team.
Tyler West and Ethan Love both played for Claymont through 7th grade.

Love, a Jr. to be will be entering his 3rd season as Tusky Valley's starting QB and West, also a Jr. next season had over 1,200 yards rushing at Harrison Central last season.
If they had Love at QB, West at WB, with Xavier Grant 1,200 yards last season at the other WB and Hunter Hershberger 600 yards in 6 games at FB, they might even be able to score against New Philadelphia.
Old 04-12-17, 12:41 PM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigskin13 View Post
Love, a Jr. to be will be entering his 3rd season as Tusky Valley's starting QB and West, also a Jr. next season had over 1,200 yards rushing at Harrison Central last season.If they had Love at QB, West at WB, with Xavier Grant 1,200 yards last season at the other WB and Hunter Hershberger 600 yards in 6 games at FB, they might even be able to score against New Philadelphia.
Takes you back to the 2002 Claymont team that had Brennan Clark, Ty Gardner and Lucas Grove. They beat Phila.
Old 04-12-17, 12:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
Takes you back to the 2002 Claymont team that had Brennan Clark, Ty Gardner and Lucas Grove. They beat Phila.
Don't forget Derek O'Hara at QB.
Yep, that team beat Philly 2 years in a row 2001 and 2002 (Dennison's only two years at Claymont) then Philly got smart and hired him away. And yes, it's been 15 years but I still hold a grudge.
Old 04-14-17, 11:25 AM
All American

Absolutely, my bad! That hire was the smartest thing Phila ever did. That Mustang team was leading Dover going into the 4th too. I think they took Coshocton to overtime as well.

It's cool how the center of the new IVC is Dover and Phila. The schools in every direction of the 2 towns are now in it. And it's great that IV Claymont is back where it should be. Gonna be a good year for ball.
Old 04-14-17, 11:35 AM
All World

BIG ED
Good luck to Spider Miller and the Hornets this year.
Old 04-18-17, 02:50 PM
Freshman

luvhsfb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
Good luck to Spider Miller and the Hornets this year.
Spider will be fine,good man,good coach,tough kids and a backing community. Look for good things from Hornet Land soon!Coach Miller and Coach Miller will be welcome plusses for East Canton!
Old 04-21-17, 08:52 AM
Junior Varsity

Honest Abe is on a distinguished road
Anybody else in the league having stadium renovations besides East Canton's new turf?
I know Ridgewood is re-doing their playing surface completely.
Old 04-21-17, 11:40 AM
Freshman

I would say Buckeye Trail will have turf within three years.
Old 04-21-17, 12:27 PM
All American

You know who deserves props? The TCC field guy. That field was absolutely gorgeous in like week 9 last year!
Old 04-21-17, 07:53 PM
All District

tuscoslimshady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You know who deserves props? The TCC field guy. That field was absolutely gorgeous in like week 9 last year!
You are spot on.
Old 04-25-17, 09:56 AM
Freshman

Redline is on a distinguished road
Quote:
not Tough to do with no JV, Freshman, One Jr. High, and no biddy programs, and no soccer. So that field gets maybe 7 games total a year. Most schools have 30+.
Old 04-25-17, 02:42 PM
Freshman

mingua is on a distinguished road
Since someone mentioned it: how many IVC programs have "biddy league"? Just curious as to how popular they are in this league (or not). Some talk around here about starting up a program and there are many who are opposed. Personally, I think second grade is a bit too early to start kids in football, and the stories I have heard about parents at that level are not flattering. Thanks guys.
Old 04-26-17, 07:45 AM
Freshman

Coach Kerns and his staff at Buckeye Trail are dealing with the biddy league system right now, he really wanted flag football at least for 3rd, 4th and 5th graders and the parents fought back. His stance was that he wanted a kid who could run a good route, or knows the route tree and a kid who had fun. When you look at the numbers youth football is easy I coached it, if you have one fast kid you will be hard to stop, if you have 2 you will be unbeatable. youth football is not about coaching.

Lets get back to high school football!
Old 04-26-17, 08:04 AM
Freshman

Could not disagree more Lebron, youth sports should be about coaching period, not winning and being the "best" biddy player. What you are saying is the problem with youth football, really all youth sports programs. Too often glory stricken dads coach these programs. Parents love their kids to a fault and typically, not always, their attempts at helping their kids and the program are detrimental to all involved. The goal of youth sports should be to make kids excited about the sport, for them to look forward to playing it in the future. What is the sign of good youth programs? Numbers. And I mean numbers at the Junior High and High School levels, not how many participate in biddy or youth programs. Too often you see kids participate at a young age, have a negative experience or get burnt out and by the time they reach High School they are no longer part of the program. Look at the MAC, IMO best high school sports conference in the state of Ohio, NO biddy football.

Youth football in particular is often a mess. With as Lebron stated the fastest kids carrying the ball every play and others wandering haplessly around the field. Youth football should focus on the fundamental aspects of the game,personally not sure actual games should ever even be played. Proper blocking, tackling, stance, starts, throwing technique, catching technique etc. should be explained, drilled and demonstrated on regular basis.

Everyone who believes that the sooner we start them the farther ahead they will be are simply just wrong and out of touch with reality. Number 1 priority if starting a biddy program should be focused on those "coaches" running the program. If the wrong people are running the program all will not be happy with the end results.
Old 04-26-17, 09:10 AM
Freshman

luvhsfb is on a distinguished road
The youth sports program in our district plays on the high school field starting with flag football. Starting in third grade their games are announced,scoreboard is on,cheerleaders and halftime shows.So actually a third grader has almost everything a highschool senior has.Add that to the fact their is a drop off in jr high from a fan and hooplah action the kid has to think what the heck,i had this already.Add to this the youth program constantly probing on ways to play under the lights!The only thing they dont have that a high school player has.Maybe a little too much too soon!
Old 04-26-17, 11:55 AM
Freshman

chicken - why do you disagree? I agree with everything you said. Youth football teaches nothing and you are right its dads who want to glorify their kid.
Old 04-26-17, 12:11 PM
Freshman

You stated that youth football is not about coaching. Im saying that it is all about the right people coaching it.
Old 04-26-17, 01:00 PM
Freshman

I am saying you dont have to be a great coach to win. If you have the fastest kid, and you can design ways to get him outside then you win.

It should be about coaching, doing fundamentals, running your high school plays. However its not.
Old 04-26-17, 01:18 PM
All District

Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
for the most part youth football is about who can break it outside and go.

but a good coach will emphasize blocking and tackling and a slower team can block their way down the field with marginal speed in the backfield and if kids can play angles and tackle proficiently then the outside fast guy play can be negated.

as far as the league goes - I would imagine most schools have some form or another whether it is flag or actual full gear football. Sometimes through churches or ymca type leagues and some are affiliated with the school.
Old 04-26-17, 09:36 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
not Tough to do with no JV, Freshman, One Jr. High, and no biddy programs, and no soccer. So that field gets maybe 7 games total a year. Most schools have 30+.
I didn't think of that, but still, that patch of grass looked better than any other field in the area ive seen at the start of the season.
Old 04-27-17, 09:00 AM
Freshman

mingua is on a distinguished road
Thanks for responses, guys. Like I said it's a pretty contentious issue. There are some programs - like Martins Ferry for example, that did not start tackle football until 8th grade and have been very successful. I do think that there is a big problem with these biddy league programs giving the kids every single perk that varsity players have. No reason why biddy league should have Nike uniforms, play under the lights, etc. Some things have to be reserved for the varsity in my opinion. I've just seen too many biddy league programs turn into gadget play offenses. Good luck to Coach Kerns at Trail trying to take on this issue. My hunch is once these programs get entrenched, they are harder to remove than most anything.