Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who will win the Suburban League American?
Aurora 4 22.22%
Barberton 1 5.56%
Copley 1 5.56%
Highland 2 11.11%
Kent Roosevelt 1 5.56%
Revere 1 5.56%
Tallmadge 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-17, 08:42 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKLE View Post
It is sad that there seems to be far too few quality coaches that look out for all the kids best interests, yet still are able to compete.

We find it easy to rip coaches, but who do you guys think are the best coaches in the area?

I know this will be somewhat subjective, but I'll throw 2 names out there, not just "win at all cost" guys, but good guys outside the lines. Mike Haney @ Kent and Drew Hoisington @ Nordonia.
Good guys there.

Gotta love Carpenter at Aurora. He's been the constant there. Those kids win AND grin. Spring and summer, all DeBord's kids are fortunate to have him out there. Never heard of anyone in blue and white moaning about Buddy Dice.....

I really think the yit list has got to be pretty short. Some are better than others, sure. Everybody is learning as a coach. No one in school ball is out there for money.
Old 04-20-17, 09:35 PM
All Ohio

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Good guys there.

Gotta love Carpenter at Aurora. He's been the constant there. Those kids win AND grin. Spring and summer, all DeBord's kids are fortunate to have him out there. Never heard of anyone in blue and white moaning about Buddy Dice.....

I really think the yit list has got to be pretty short. Some are better than others, sure. Everybody is learning as a coach. No one in school ball is out there for money.
I would have to differ with Carpenter being a constant at Aurora. He all but vanished last year and now has reappeared this year with his younger kid being a freshmen. But is a true baseball guy!
Old 04-20-17, 10:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil Backer View Post
I would have to differ with Carpenter being a constant at Aurora. He all but vanished last year and now has reappeared this year with his younger kid being a freshmen. But is a true baseball guy!
Well, true enough. Buckeye baseball probably needed a little help Let's not forget that he was helping seniors when Matt was a freshman, and he'll helping freshmen when Shaggy is a senior, though. For fun.
Old 04-20-17, 10:21 PM
All District

MERKLE is on a distinguished road
I was never a fan of his style, but Kaczmar at Walsh always has his heart in the right place.

I don't think I've ever heard a negative about Sarver at Ellet.

And the old Hoban staff was great. I don't know enough about the new guy.
Old 04-21-17, 08:11 AM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Suburban League American 2017

What has happened to Copley? They started really strong this year with a solid junior class, now it seems they've fully hit the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-17, 08:31 AM
Varsity

imdabank is on a distinguished road
Our experience was they have a couple big guns but fall off pretty quick beyond that. Also we noticed in our come from behind win that the players and parents really started running their mouths once they gave up the lead. So bad that their own coach had to yell at some players and also some fans to shut up. Maybe don't have good chemistry...
Old 04-21-17, 08:43 AM
All Ohio

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
What has happened to Copley? They started really strong this year with a solid junior class, now it seems they've fully hit the wall.

From what I could see, they have a few very nice players, but maybe not the consistency in their depth they would like to see. A big achilles heel is the depth and lack of experience in their pitching staff. Beyond Hayes and Mastraengelo (sp?) the other guys lack experience at the varsity level.
Old 04-21-17, 09:39 AM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
First of all there isn't anymore tension between the Copley fans/parents than most teams who are struggling. What created a lot of disagreement and frustration among the "daddy coaches", lol was that Copley coach wasn't aware of substitution rules and got caught losing two regulars at the expense of a couple of meaningless pinch runners. Not that it cost Copley the game, but it has become a habit of seeing strange substitutions throughout the season. The Highland game at Copley created a type of breaking point for everyone. Hayes was on the mound. A lot of added pressure created as 3 D1 coaches were there to watch the kid pitch. He was unusually wild, and little juiced up, due to the circumstances. Regardless kid still had 2 run lead into the 5th, when he called the coach to the mound, and asked to be removed. The plan was for him to pitch thru the 6th initially. He was at about 90 pitches, less than he has typically thrown previously. Guess he was just out of gas. Problem being, new pitcher wasn't able to warm up in the pen, and was thrust into a tough situation. Result being more walks, etc, which has plagued this team all season. There just isn't nearly enough pitching depth to be competitive day in and day out. We have seen games where any one of 4 pitcher can walk 6-7 kids, and throw a couple of hbp in for good measure in limited innings. Moses was projected to play a big part in pitching depth, but he's recovering from an injury and just hasn't been nearly ready to take on any reliable pitching load. Copley has 10 juniors, many of which have varsity experience, but as a group they have failed to live up to expectations. Their senior catcher has held them together, especially defensively, during this rough period. But he has 4 years of starting varsity experience, which is something no other kid has. In order for Copley to live up to expectations, especially next year, some of these current juniors need to step up and assume some leadership role, which is something they aren't very familiar with currently.
Old 04-21-17, 01:02 PM
Varsity

That's a tough situation with D1's watching. I saw cinci and ou, who was the third?

Old 04-21-17, 01:10 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Current Standings (4/20):
Code:
Team		LG	All	RF	Avg	RA	Avg
Highland	(4-0)	(7-4)	64	(5.8)	67	(6.1)
Aurora		(8-1)	(9-1)	103	(10.3)	33	(3.3)
Tallmadge	(4-3)	(10-4)	104	(7.4)	55	(3.9)
Copley		(4-4)	(5-6)	51	(4.6)	69	(6.3)
Kent Roosevelt	(3-4)	(7-8)	63	(4.2)	99	(6.6)
Barberton	(1-5)	(2-8)	60	(6.0)	94	(9.4)
Revere		(0-6)	(2-9)	57	(5.2)	106	(9.6)
Old 04-21-17, 01:38 PM
All Ohio

3rd scout there was from Eastern Michigan I was told. Also have seen Cinn Reds scout at two of Copley games. Recently at Woodridge game. Guy spoke with Margoff from Woodridge, Correia from Copley. Have seen same scout during summer season following Margoff around during Ohio Longhorns tournament games.
Old 04-21-17, 01:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdabank View Post
That's a tough situation with D1's watching. I saw cinci and ou, who was the third?

Akron U, CSU, Buffalo..... kinda scary. I know a couple kids that got screwed.

How committed is Ohio U to Bobcat baseball ?
Old 04-21-17, 02:20 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Honestly, if the majority of D-1 sports disappeared from college campuses, how many students would really notice? Outside the big-time programs?

Pick a place like Akron U - who really cares about Men's track or women's golf outside the players and their families? And if they went away, how many people would even know that it happened, unless you personally knew someone involved in the activity.

Old 04-21-17, 03:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Honestly, if the majority of D-1 sports disappeared from college campuses, how many students would really notice? Outside the big-time programs?

Pick a place like Akron U - who really cares about Men's track or women's golf outside the players and their families? And if they went away, how many people would even know that it happened, unless you personally knew someone involved in the activity.

Just a thought to all - Many of these smaller D1 schools choose to cut baseball before track. Women's golf seems pretty safe. Track & field is coed. Coincidentally or not, track programs continue.

Two facts: 1)Football rules, and D1 football is an expensive proposition. 2)Title IX trumps all.

Choose your small D1 baseball destination carefully. If the education is the #1 priority, as I think it should be, it may not matter. If looking at several small D1's, alumni commitment and baseball tradition may count for a lot more than you would think by your son's junior year.
Old 04-21-17, 04:12 PM
Freshman

Ottomatic is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Reality for Copley is that they just had too much to replace from last years squad. They are young and inexperienced. They had to replace their top 5 outfielders, both middle infielders and their everyday DH. The only experienced returners were corner infield and catcher. In addition, last year they rolled out the top two pitchers in the conference to start every conference game. This year they are 1-4 in conference when Hays doesn't start.

They'll grow with their experiences and make a strong run at the conference title next year. There is talent there. And if they get hot come playoff time they can make noise. They are certainly capable of it.

Old 04-21-17, 05:51 PM
Varsity

Mean_Green is on a distinguished road
Aurora 5
Highland 3
Old 04-21-17, 05:57 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean_Green View Post
Aurora 5
Highland 3

Highland coach blew another one. It was obvious the starting pitcher was tired and Aurora took advantage of it. Guy is a clown show. Aurora coach changed pitchers at first sign of trouble. He's smart.

Old 04-21-17, 07:21 PM
Go Buckeyes

Tallmadge 10, Mooney 4
Aurora 5, Highland 3
Norton 3, Revere 1
Old 04-21-17, 09:19 PM
Go Buckeyes

Hudson 6, Copley 0
Old 04-22-17, 08:41 AM
All Ohio

Interesting take on Copley's problems. First of all, only one of those 5 outfielders is really being missed, the CF. The other 3 seniors were basically role players, who had more than a few struggles of their own, other than the dh. No doubt losing their big 3 hurt alot, but most teams have to deal with graduation loses every year. What really hurt their projected lineup this season was the returning seniors decisions not to play their final year. Three of them would have been starters, plus the other 2 had pitching experience. The biggest loss being Austin Brenner. The boys decided that they needed to prepare for their college football and soccer seasons, rather than play baseball. This greatly reduced the projected depth, and forced inexperienced kids into starting roles, and jv talent into back up roles. Pitching is inexperienced, and lacking in depth and talent. Really don't see those issues getting much better next year, as very few of those pitchers play high level travel ball, and don't work thru the off season to get better.
Old 04-22-17, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

I wonder if Aurora is just way better as a HS baseball program than what some of you guys expected ? Things broke into a big/small league format, and maybe some just expected to have a league title gift wrapped ? Getting a bit ugly.

I hate to see all the coach-hate, blame-game crap flying around, and I sure hope it isn't spreading to the kids.
Old 04-22-17, 11:56 AM
Go Buckeyes

Aurora 7, Westlake 0
CVCA 7, Highland 2
Old 04-22-17, 11:58 AM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I wonder if Aurora is just way better as a HS baseball program than what some of you guys expected ? Things broke into a big/small league format, and maybe some just expected to have a league title gift wrapped ? Getting a bit ugly.

I hate to see all the coach-hate, blame-game crap flying around, and I sure hope it isn't spreading to the kids.
Aurora is in control of the league right now. They only have Tallmadge left to play and the Blue Devils have to take both to have any chance at a league title. Highland is hoping for a split between Tallmadge/Aurora and for the Hornets to win the rest of the way. Tallmadge needs to win the rest of their games and hope someone (Revere?) can knock off Highland in the league.
Old 04-22-17, 01:46 PM
Go Buckeyes

Highland 4, CVCA 1 (Gm2)
Old 04-22-17, 02:20 PM
Go Buckeyes

Aurora 6, Westlake 0 (Gm2)
Old 04-22-17, 03:13 PM
Go Buckeyes

Ravenna 4, Revere 0 (Gm1)
Revere 7, Ravenna 2 (Gm2)
Old 04-22-17, 03:53 PM
Freshman

Ottomatic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Interesting take on Copley's problems. First of all, only one of those 5 outfielders is really being missed, the CF. The other 3 seniors were basically role players, who had more than a few struggles of their own, other than the dh. No doubt losing their big 3 hurt alot, but most teams have to deal with graduation loses every year. What really hurt their projected lineup this season was the returning seniors decisions not to play their final year. Three of them would have been starters, plus the other 2 had pitching experience. The biggest loss being Austin Brenner. The boys decided that they needed to prepare for their college football and soccer seasons, rather than play baseball. This greatly reduced the projected depth, and forced inexperienced kids into starting roles, and jv talent into back up roles. Pitching is inexperienced, and lacking in depth and talent. Really don't see those issues getting much better next year, as very few of those pitchers play high level travel ball, and don't work thru the off season to get better.

Maybe you can read before you respond. I didn't mention graduating seniors. I said who they had to replace and that includes who graduated and the current seniors that aren't playing.

The fact is their early expectations were somewhat based on last years success. It was an unfair expectation and the light early schedule helped them get off to a fast start. The guys playing the positions I mentioned weren't playing there last year. Hence...inexperienced

But thanks for your long post correcting my take that they are inexperienced with your deep analysis that they are inexperienced.

Old 04-22-17, 04:32 PM
Go Buckeyes

Kent Roosevelt 5, Garfield Heights 4
Kent Roosevelt 12, Garfield Heights 0
Old 04-22-17, 05:18 PM
All Yappi

frecriss is on a distinguished road
Barberton 8
Coventry 7
Old 04-22-17, 07:48 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Aurora is in control of the league right now. They only have Tallmadge left to play and the Blue Devils have to take both to have any chance at a league title. Highland is hoping for a split between Tallmadge/Aurora and for the Hornets to win the rest of the way. Tallmadge needs to win the rest of their games and hope someone (Revere?) can knock off Highland in the league.
That loss to Kent REALLY hurt Tallmadge's chances for the league