Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-20-17, 08:22 PM
All District

TR1982 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapDownBacker View Post
Is Coach Pflug a teacher?
I believe he is
Old 04-20-17, 08:24 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAnEagle View Post
Pflug just won the District Coach of the Year Award and turned a job no one wanted into a playoff team... wouldn't you go after bigger fish too? As for why not him - he's been linked to Badin, Purcell and Princeton. Lost out to a guy from Badin, a guy from Princeton and a former GCL guy.

He's young. His time will come... could even be now. As an alum of Walnut, I'm sure he's on their list.
I heard that schools actually sought him out and asked him to apply.
Old 04-20-17, 09:11 PM
Junior Varsity

tune89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR1982 View Post
I believe he is
He is not a "real" certified teacher or in other words, he does not have a teaching degree. A bachelors with a specific number of education classes allows him to hold a substitute teachers license. But at least we know he has a license, so he is more qualified than Lainhart was.
Old 04-21-17, 01:23 AM
All World

withrownatiboy
Send a message via AIM to withrownatiboy Send a message via Yahoo to withrownatiboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinfbfan View Post
Hiring Pflug leaves Aiken where at this time of year???

That would be wrong as far as those kids are concerned. This is part of the problem with that kind of hire. You don't hire a current HC in April if you want to stop disrupting programs.
Rodger Horton and Scott Dean have a LOT to do with the infrastructure over there and should be able to keep the movement moving. That said, Dean was Pflug's teammate at Walnut and likely will apply too.
Old 04-21-17, 04:50 AM
All Region

cinfbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane4 View Post
I'd say the safest bet you can make is that Donnelly will have no input whatsoever on Lainhart's replacement.
I think thisbis accurate. Based on the articles out there it looks like Hardin might handle this. Brokamp shouldn't have any input either in my opinion because he's leaving.

As for Pflug, he's done a good job at Aiken. Considering that enrollment there balanced out unlike previous years when the school was torn down and they only had few kids, improvment was inevitable. Not taking anything away from what has been accomplished. But hiring him at this stage of the school year would be continuing a mess in CPS because then who leads Aiken? The only way that hire makes sense is after this coming season if Walnut gives it to an interim then let Pflug interview in the winter.
Old 04-21-17, 06:52 AM
All American

cincysports4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS WRESTLING View Post
All this drama over there at Walnut was about one thing:

"JUST WIN BABY, JUST WIN!!!"
Pretty much... They got the mentality of trying to be a powerhouse in every sport since they have excellent facilities, open enrollment, and a study body of 2800 students.. But man, it cost them big time! This hire had bad news written on it since Day 1.

Guy was arrogant, and boy the whole recruitment thing caught up to him...

Does Donnelly still have a job? Cant see how..
Old 04-21-17, 07:39 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincysports4 View Post
Pretty much... They got the mentality of trying to be a powerhouse in every sport since they have excellent facilities, open enrollment, and a study body of 2800 students.. But man, it cost them big time! This hire had bad news written on it since Day 1.

Guy was arrogant, and boy the whole recruitment thing caught up to him...

Does Donnelly still have a job? Cant see how..
He's retiring the end of the school year.
Old 04-21-17, 07:42 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by withrownatiboy View Post
Rodger Horton and Scott Dean have a LOT to do with the infrastructure over there and should be able to keep the movement moving. That said, Dean was Pflug's teammate at Walnut and likely will apply too.
Good point about Horton and Dean.
Old 04-21-17, 08:41 AM
All American

cincysports4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He's retiring the end of the school year.
AKA was told to get out in a honorary fashion?
Old 04-21-17, 09:40 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincysports4 View Post
AKA was told to get out in a honorary fashion?
Him and Brokamp were set to retire before this all hit the fan.
Old 04-21-17, 01:33 PM
All American

lane4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Him and Brokamp were set to retire before this all hit the fan.
True, though the timing of Donnelly's announcement at the end of November was certainly odd, considering he said he made the decision to leave Walnut Hills back in August.
Old 04-21-17, 02:19 PM
All District

Quote:
Good point about Horton and Dean.
Who is Scott Dean? Never heard of or about him. Does he have the experience to be a head coach? Is he in the building?
Old 04-21-17, 08:21 PM
All Region

Quote:
Who is Scott Dean? Never heard of or about him. Does he have the experience to be a head coach? Is he in the building?
Dean is on staff at Aiken with Pflug. He's a solid coach. HC experience? None that I know of. He's Walnut alumn and a hard worker.

Is he right to take over Walnut? They are moving to D1...I'm not sure. I will say that Lainhart chose a bad schedule for this coming season. They are not ready to play X.
Old 04-27-17, 11:15 AM
All Ohio

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tune89 View Post
He is not a "real" certified teacher or in other words, he does not have a teaching degree. A bachelors with a specific number of education classes allows him to hold a substitute teachers license. But at least we know he has a license, so he is more qualified than Lainhart was.

Pflug will have a license in PE the upcoming school year (he completes the coursework in a few weeks actually), and he will also be licensed/certified to teach Health as well.

Jeremy also has a Master's Degree in Business so he is looking to teach Personal Finance/Business courses at a high school as well where he coaches at and is working on that license as well. Jeremy is the total package as a coach: Highly organized, great motivator, mentor and has a vision for a program. He will have the proper credentials very soon to be in the building at Walnut. This is the guy they should hire.
Old 05-01-17, 10:51 AM
Junior Varsity

AlwaysAnEagle is on a distinguished road
Any word on candidates yet?
Old 05-03-17, 10:41 AM
All District

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
Why so quiet now? This was a hot topic prior to the coach being let go!
Old 05-07-17, 07:25 AM
All District

Anyone heard of any movement here? who's interviewing, did they get a lot of applicants? any dark horses out there?
Old 05-07-17, 05:17 PM
All Region

No word on anything at Walnut. New principal hasn't been hired either. I think there is perhaps lots of behind the scenes bickering going on.
Old 05-08-17, 12:15 PM
All American

I suspect the major part of the quiet from Walnut right now is waiting to see what penalties OHSAA slaps them with once the investigation is completed.
Old 05-09-17, 09:15 AM
All Region

I also think they posted the job because they had to but they may just hire someone who was on staff for the interim. If things go well he stays if not the post it again at the end of this coming season.
Old 05-09-17, 10:50 AM
All District

Quote:
I heard that schools actually sought him out and asked him to apply.
Obviously he's done a great job at Aiken, but I would think if schools were contacting him, then he would have another job by now. Unless he just doesn't interview well.
Old 05-09-17, 10:54 AM
All District

Quote:
I also think they posted the job because they had to but they may just hire someone who was on staff for the interim. If things go well he stays if not the post it again at the end of this coming season.
I doubt they would go through 2 weeks of initial interviews and then a second round just for show.

I also doubt that after this fiasco, they would hire a current CPS coach and open up another job this late in the year. I could be wrong though.
Old 05-10-17, 07:27 AM
Varsity

2020Dad is on a distinguished road
Walnut Hill sanctions have been delivered, 2 years probation through the 2018-2019 season and a fine for coaches not having PAC . All sports are still eligible for the post season. There you have it.
Old 05-10-17, 08:04 AM
All Region

JustCallMeCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa au Rum View Post
Obviously he's done a great job at Aiken, but I would think if schools were contacting him, then he would have another job by now. Unless he just doesn't interview well.
Aiken was more of a "perfect storm". Light schedule, good athletes(14 seniors?), and good assistant coaches. Pfllug is more of a hype man than coach. This is what I heard from people in that camp. So it makes sense that after all of the interviews this past off season he's still at Aiken. I personally am a fan of Aiken and would like to see him stay there. Too many CPS coaching changes go on every year. Walnut will/should hire within staff and see how it goes with one of those guys. They have talent on that roster.
Old 05-10-17, 10:08 AM
Junior Varsity

AlwaysAnEagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeCoach View Post
Aiken was more of a "perfect storm". Light schedule, good athletes(14 seniors?), and good assistant coaches. Pfllug is more of a hype man than coach. This is what I heard from people in that camp. So it makes sense that after all of the interviews this past off season he's still at Aiken. I personally am a fan of Aiken and would like to see him stay there. Too many CPS coaching changes go on every year. Walnut will/should hire within staff and see how it goes with one of those guys. They have talent on that roster.
Hype man? I thought he ran the offense and they scored 40+ points a game last year. I'd be hyped too scoring that much.
Old 05-10-17, 10:22 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Dad View Post
Walnut Hill sanctions have been delivered, 2 years probation through the 2018-2019 season and a fine for coaches not having PAC . All sports are still eligible for the post season.

Link?

And do you know what the fine amount is?
Old 05-10-17, 12:52 PM
All Region

JustCallMeCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAnEagle View Post
Hype man? I thought he ran the offense and they scored 40+ points a game last year. I'd be hyped too scoring that much.
Just telling you what I heard my friend.
Old 05-10-17, 02:57 PM
All District

i'm interested in where you heard that one from. i never hear anything from or about anyone on his staff. they seem like a tight knit group.
Old 05-11-17, 02:25 PM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
HYPE man LOLOLOL I will admit Pflug has a long love for the game of football....he shows ALOT of emotion and LOVES what he does

but far from a "HYPE" man

great motivator , great coach/leader and great mentor to these young men at Aiken....

and BaBa au Rum kinda funny he made it to the final interview at 2 of the 3 schools he interviewed. BUT when that school may have a hidden agenda nothing he can do I guess...
Old 05-11-17, 02:42 PM
Junior Varsity

tune89 is on a distinguished road
WOw! 10 coaches at Walnut Hills without Ohio permits. 6 high school/4 jr high. Is this an Incompetent Athletic department just at Walnut or a district wide CPS problem? But best lesson from this, is to other schools... go ahead and recruit, because you will only get put on probation, no real consequences, IF u get caught.