Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-18-17, 01:49 PM
All District

2731 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty CUP View Post
My point is there is already a more than solid path to top level college recruiting.

I've spoken with quite a few coaches at recent showcases and not one has a positive word about US soccer when I asked, and I asked them all that I came in contact with. Where do you think College coaches will continue to build relationships? I'm sure some coaches think US Soccer is great to deal with. I've just not run into any those ladies or gentlemen the last few months.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope for some of these girls sake I am.
You're not wrong yet. But if history repeats itself, you will be down the line. But you don't need to worry, the caliber of player we are both talking about will attract the scouts and new relationships will form, or some of those coaches will get new jobs at DA clubs. None of this matters for any girl above U12 even less so for those above U14, but the U10s out there... They will set the new bar.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-17, 02:49 PM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshooter5 View Post
CoachG

Where did I say anywhere in my post that I was talking specifically about Ohio Elite ?

I was talking entirely about the ECNL as a whole.
I know that you Are or Were a CU/Cup coach so we get why you are blinded by your views.

That is why you need to open your eyes, look in the mirror and Scream at what you see !~
Bucky- Are you and Empty one in the same person??? Also I have no idea what comment you are referencing since you didnt hit the quote button.
Old 04-19-17, 09:26 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My kids were told by their college coaches to try and play ECNL so they would be ready and get the most playing time available. They are not the only kids who have heard it. Ms. Rossi from up North was told the same thing and off she went to the ECNL...
You've stated this before about Sofia and I corrected you at that time as well.

She is playing for the Ambassadors - a Cleveland/Akron area club that plays MRL. Indiana Fire has her rostered as a "discovery player", aka a glorified guest player. She will probably only play a few games for them this season and I highly doubt that she is making the trek from Akron to Indianapolis, a 4 1/2 hour drive, in order to train with the team. I also doubt that Tony, the Wake coach, told her to play with a team in the ECNL for her last club season. Playing a few ECNL games won't make a bit of difference for her.
Old 04-19-17, 10:02 AM
All Region

Empty CUP is on a distinguished road
OK. Or she's going there once a week to train and WAS told that by the Wake coach. Level of competition makes a difference. Always has, always will. You know that.
Old 04-19-17, 11:05 AM
All World

Quote:
OK. Or she's going there once a week to train and WAS told that by the Wake coach. Level of competition makes a difference. Always has, always will. You know that.
Empty Head- I doubt any coach would tell a player to make that trek to do that. You are stretching. He may have told her also to stay with the club that developed her as they have done a great job and she is merely helping out another club by guest playing because she is friends with someone on the team... We can keep speculating all day but common sense is not in your favor on this one..
Old 04-19-17, 08:10 PM
All Ohio

Juan Pelota is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure class View Post
i think that cup underestimates the draw of playing high school soccer and that soccer is ultimately a game and should be fun. I dont get the impression that the da has fun, or playing with your friends at the top of the list. That may push some top tier kids to oe ecnl, where even though they have dougley dbag, the game can still be fun.
fify

say what you want about oe putting more players into higher level college programs than cup but the facts are that cup, at least recently, has had many more players called into national team camps than oe has and it's not even close. take that, dougley dbag!
Old 04-19-17, 09:11 PM
Varsity

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
I am just imagining what it would be like to all meet at a BW3 and have a few beers. Would have to make sure it wasn't too close to OE, CUP, or KHA though!
Old 04-19-17, 09:19 PM
Freshman

Pele is on a distinguished road
Is CraochG old enough to have a beer? I've never read so much nonsense from a post than that guy/girl!
Old 04-20-17, 10:55 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele View Post
Is CraochG old enough to have a beer? I've never read so much nonsense from a post than that guy/girl!
Pele- You must dementia in your old age. I am way old enough to have a beer hell I would even buy you, EmptyHead, and BuckToothedOne their first round.
Old 04-20-17, 11:21 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post

She is playing for the Ambassadors - a Cleveland/Akron area club that plays MRL. Indiana Fire has her rostered as a "discovery player", aka a glorified guest player. She will probably only play a few games for them this season and I highly doubt that she is making the trek from Akron to Indianapolis, a 4 1/2 hour drive, in order to train with the team. I also doubt that Tony, the Wake coach, told her to play with a team in the ECNL for her last club season. Playing a few ECNL games won't make a bit of difference for her.
KHA is playing the Ambassadors tomorrow in the Blue Chip. Kha has lost a lot of depth due to injuries but also players who have quit soccer since they decided not to play college.
Old 04-20-17, 01:52 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
KHA is playing the Ambassadors tomorrow in the Blue Chip. Kha has lost a lot of depth due to injuries but also players who have quit soccer since they decided not to play college.
Hold on a minute!!! According to some that have posted here its hard to believe a player that is capable of playing at such a high level including beyond high school that they would quite and also decide not to play in college... LOL Lets be honest a female athlete has a different mind set than a male. Not saying its wrong,right, better, or worse just different in that some that could play at that level decide not to.
Old 04-20-17, 08:53 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post

I'm not sure if Tony knows his a55 from a hole in the ground! But if I were going to a DI college and I wanted to play at quicker pace, be more aggressive and better technically and tactically I would look for any avenue to increase my skills whether it is playing in the ECNL, against college players or even boys. The only way to get better is to play against better players. You can have better Coaching/Training but if you don't have the experience to push yourself daily in practice or in practice games and bring the work rate, attitude and competitveness you've gained nothing! Playing soccer at a HigH level is demanding, the faster you get there Mentally and Physically increases your chances of success! Go on Rossi and achieve that goal push yourself and make yourself, parents, fans and the Demon Deacons proud!
Old 04-21-17, 06:08 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
Hold on a minute!!! According to some that have posted here its hard to believe a player that is capable of playing at such a high level including beyond high school that they would quite and also decide not to play in college... LOL Lets be honest a female athlete has a different mind set than a male. Not saying its wrong,right, better, or worse just different in that some that could play at that level decide not to.
Yeah I guess they just had enough. At least 3 were pretty good players and I'm sure received offers. Time to get on with their life's work.

By the way I was told Rossi was not playing for the Ambassadors today. So don't the reason or if she is really rostered with them.
Old 04-21-17, 10:30 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post

By the way I was told Rossi was not playing for the Ambassadors today. So don't the reason or if she is really rostered with them.

It's because the ECNL team she plays for has games out East Sat and Sun and she's with them.

Blue Chip or ECNL games....No brainer
Old 04-21-17, 11:34 AM
All World

Quote:
It's because the ECNL team she plays for has games out East Sat and Sun and she's with them.

Blue Chip or ECNL games....No brainer
OOOHHH So she steps in to play only in the big matches where college coaches are instead of allowing a member of the team that is at all the training session and ECNL matches be seen... Yeah no brainer the girl she is taking away game time from at the "big" matches should leave and go to a club that appreciates her and want her to play in the "big" games.
Old 04-21-17, 01:42 PM
All District

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
Give it up coach. You've got a koolaide mustache
Old 04-21-17, 01:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
OOOHHH So she steps in to play only in the big matches where college coaches are instead of allowing a member of the team that is at all the training session and ECNL matches be seen... Yeah no brainer the girl she is taking away game time from at the "big" matches should leave and go to a club that appreciates her and want her to play in the "big" games.
Or she's playing in 2 league games with her main team against the best competition possible rather than at a showcase with lesser competition where college coaches are so the girls at Ambassadors who are uncommitted can get more playing time. Not many ECNL U18+ girls who want to play college ball are not signed already, so she's really not hurting anyone by playing with Fire (no pun intended).

The point of her playing with an ECNL team is so she can play the best, to develop into the best. Skipping ECNL match games would be pretty damn counter productive to the whole point of playing with them.

I guess we just see things different. But that's really no surprise.
Old 04-22-17, 09:00 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Like I said before is this guy/girl a real Coach or does he just play one here on Yappi? Or were all the nicknames taken that day? Reaching for straws coach?
More Nonsense from the guy in the corner with the G on his hat! Maybe we should name him ComedianG!
Old 04-24-17, 07:32 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele View Post
Like I said before is this guy/girl a real Coach or does he just play one here on Yappi? Or were all the nicknames taken that day? Reaching for straws coach?
More Nonsense from the guy in the corner with the G on his hat! Maybe we should name him ComedianG!
Ok Pegleg. So you want that beer or you just like posting on a site where no on knows who you are?
Old 04-25-17, 08:17 AM
All District

sportsfanofyear is on a distinguished road
Interesting read - Charleston Battery Soccer Academy suspends operations http://www.postandcourier.com/sports...39bbca015.html
Old 04-25-17, 09:29 AM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfanofyear View Post
Interesting read - Charleston Battery Soccer Academy suspends operations http://www.postandcourier.com/sports...39bbca015.html
Thanks for sharing this. I've always said that I can understand the need for a DA, and I can see the benefits. However, the market should speak. If there's a demand for this, it will succeed. If not, it will fail.

I do see one flaw in the US Soccer's approach. First, unlike the rest of the world, the US has as a strong tradition of high school sports. So, in other countries, the only avenue to play is via club sports.

Second, the best players in other countries do not have to pay to play. Rather, they play for academies sponsored by the pro clubs.

Third, unlike the rest of the world, the US has a strong tradition of college sports. In other countries, you either join a professional team or stop playing when you reach 18 (to a lesser extent you try to get to the US and play in college).

Because professional soccer is less developed here, college soccer has a bigger pull. As has been discussed in previous threads, an elite player can get to a top college without forgoing high school soccer.

Klinsman was trying to upgrade US soccer talent. However, he was trying to follow a European approach, not understanding our excepting the unique differences that exist in the US.

First, for his program to work, the MLS clubs need to develop fully funded academies for the elite male players. Those players would need to be signed by the MLS clubs and/or play in Europe or LA when they reached 18. In essence, MLS needs to mimic baseball or hockey where a high school graduate can see a way to make a living at the sport without going to college.

Second, for girls, we need to have a sustainable professional league that provides a living wage. To me, the MLS should create sister teams, like the NBA with the WNBA, as well as the top European clubs have done. Those teams would also have fully funded academies....
Old 04-25-17, 11:16 AM
All District

I'm pretty sure players will leave any club at any level that can't find practice and game fields. Today you can't become an academy without it. Sounds very much like club mismanagement.
Old 04-25-17, 12:50 PM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
you might be right but thats just one part of the story what about the recent defection of players back to the high school or local academy ranks.
Old 04-25-17, 02:05 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusCrunch View Post
you might be right but thats just one part of the story what about the recent defection of players back to the high school or local academy ranks.
It's a local newspaper story. If you didn't have a place to practice what would you do?
Old 04-25-17, 02:30 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan73 View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I've always said that I can understand the need for a DA, and I can see the benefits. However, the market should speak. If there's a demand for this, it will succeed. If not, it will fail.

I do see one flaw in the US Soccer's approach. First, unlike the rest of the world, the US has as a strong tradition of high school sports. So, in other countries, the only avenue to play is via club sports.

Second, the best players in other countries do not have to pay to play. Rather, they play for academies sponsored by the pro clubs.

Third, unlike the rest of the world, the US has a strong tradition of college sports. In other countries, you either join a professional team or stop playing when you reach 18 (to a lesser extent you try to get to the US and play in college).

Because professional soccer is less developed here, college soccer has a bigger pull. As has been discussed in previous threads, an elite player can get to a top college without forgoing high school soccer.

Klinsman was trying to upgrade US soccer talent. However, he was trying to follow a European approach, not understanding our excepting the unique differences that exist in the US.

First, for his program to work, the MLS clubs need to develop fully funded academies for the elite male players. Those players would need to be signed by the MLS clubs and/or play in Europe or LA when they reached 18. In essence, MLS needs to mimic baseball or hockey where a high school graduate can see a way to make a living at the sport without going to college.

Second, for girls, we need to have a sustainable professional league that provides a living wage. To me, the MLS should create sister teams, like the NBA with the WNBA, as well as the top European clubs have done. Those teams would also have fully funded academies....
Money talks 5hit walks! When will US Soccer be viable?

Most, if not all MLS teams, want nothing to do with a sister team. It costs them money, time and nothing but headaches. Look at the teams in Europe that have women's teams attached to them only because the men's side makes a lot of money. The european women's side don't make money because no one is interested and attendance is low. There is a good chance MalPugh will sign with a team in France, they have more money to spend largely because the mens side will pay for her. Interest in the NWSL women's game and entertainment money for the women's game is not very good a little less than 6,000 a game after 4 years......other than Orlando(now that they signed Marta). What does FC Cincinnati average per game?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...gue_attendance
If I'm an owner of an NWSL franchise and some of the US Soccer players are going overseas for more money I lose money. Not a very good investment.

Your other points are relevant but like I said before it only takes money.
Old 04-26-17, 08:27 AM
All Region

belied dat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan73 View Post

Tons of good stuff here in your post.

Just want to expand thoughts on the bold/underline part. While there was MAJOR feedback on the DA not allowing HS soccer. Why isn't there ANY real feedback on NFHS (well, their state associations) not permitting players to do HS and club/DA at the same time?

Everyone wants USSF to cave in on this, but literally no one has addressed this from NFHS standpoint. NFHS has the exact same mandate that USSF does, just for their side. States have the decision to either go with it or against it. I know some states do allow for club and HS in the same season (Oklahoma being one I know of, immediately).

This whole issue could be solved if NFHS and USSF worked things out...just like USSF and any college organization (NJCAA, NCAA, NAIA, USCAA, NCCAA). Imagine if these entities worked together, everyone could essentially get what they wanted out of the sport AND the educational setting.

Old 04-27-17, 07:33 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by belied dat View Post

Just want to expand thoughts on the bold/underline part. While there was MAJOR feedback on the DA not allowing HS soccer. Why isn't there ANY real feedback on NFHS (well, their state associations) not permitting players to do HS and club/DA at the same time?

Everyone wants USSF to cave in on this, but literally no one has addressed this from NFHS standpoint. NFHS has the exact same mandate that USSF does, just for their side. States have the decision to either go with it or against it. I know some states do allow for club and HS in the same season (Oklahoma being one I know of, immediately).

This whole issue could be solved if NFHS and USSF worked things out...just like USSF and any college organization (NJCAA, NCAA, NAIA, USCAA, NCCAA). Imagine if these entities worked together, everyone could essentially get what they wanted out of the sport AND the educational setting.

I agree with you 100%. Does anyone know how it works in the states that allow players to play in both in the same season? I am interested in how they train do players attend training for both teams so possibly train twice a day? How are the multiple games that HS plays a week handled? I would love to see OHSAA and USSF work together and resolve this for the players.
Old 04-27-17, 08:15 AM
All Region

belied dat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree with you 100%. Does anyone know how it works in the states that allow players to play in both in the same season? I am interested in how they train do players attend training for both teams so possibly train twice a day? How are the multiple games that HS plays a week handled? I would love to see OHSAA and USSF work together and resolve this for the players.
In my experience, semi-knowledgeable with Oklahoma HS, players do attend training twice a day. HS games are typically avoided with conflict and/or possibility of playing twice in one day. HS games in certain states are scheduled on specific days, so there is even less conflict with club -- Kansas is one that typically play games on Tuesdays and Thursdays (but, there's no club during season). Yes, there will be other days of the week when games are played, but that's typically a weekday.

I have heard ZERO complaints about this setup. The only time the complaints come into play is with the DA mandate. NFHS mandate brings no complaints.

Here's another coach who lost his job because he was offering girls to train (break scholastic eligibility rules) with a club during HS season.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/high-sc...146981989.html
Old 04-27-17, 09:09 AM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by belied dat View Post

Good point. Why doesn't OHSAA allow players to play club soccer, while also playing for their respective high schools? For that matter, why doesn't OHSAA allow players to participate in college ID camps during the high school season? To me, they are selfishly looking out for their interests at the expense of the players.

Virginia and Florida are two states that do allow players to do high school and club at the same time. In both instances, players have been known to go to both practices on the same day (high school practice right after school and then go to club practice). If there is no conflict on game day, they may play both a high school game and a club game on the same day. However, if there is a showcase tournament or game that will have college scouts, the player will skip their high school game and play their club game instead. This pisses off the high school coaches, which is probably behind OHSAA's rule that prohibits kids from playing club during the high school season.

I personally don't like the idea of having kids playing both at the same time. In today's world where people can't make choices and want to do everything, it can lead to overtraining, which can lead to burnout and injuries. This is why the DA has said that they do not want their players to play high school soccer while playing in the DA. In any case, I think that kids should have a choice. The high school associations should give kids the right to play club soccer during the season if they want to. The kid can decide if they want to play for both teams during the season.
Old 04-27-17, 09:21 AM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
IMHO it's too much to play HS and club soccer at the same time. Overuse injuries would spike substantially. Additionally, one team will always get the "short end of the stick." This is seen now when an athlete plays two different sports in the same season. Think of the athlete that maybe runs XC or golfs for the HS in the fall and plays club soccer at the same time. What about the basketball player that plays club soccer? In the past, during the spring, I've seen track athletes that play soccer also. One team always gets shorted. Is it OK for a club player to skip out on soccer training to play in contests for his or her high school and then show up on game day to play in a match? The reverse is also true. Is it OK for an athlete to skip out on practices for the HS sport and then only show up for meets or games? Even if it is OK for all the coaches involved there will be some animosity from the other athletes if practices are skipped - guaranteed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: