Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-12-17, 10:07 AM
Junior Varsity

Tailwhip56 is on a distinguished road
DIV Region 16

Now that Alter is up to DIII who is the favorite in this region. Any challengers to Massie?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-17, 10:34 AM
Junior Varsity

VVboys32 is on a distinguished road
Valley View may challenge Massie! Got a lot of starters returning this year with some talented younger boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-17, 12:18 PM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Genslinger is tough. Gotta put VV in the mix.
Old 04-12-17, 02:58 PM
Varsity

triple option is on a distinguished road
Totally agree! And that linebacker...Hannah i believe?
Old 04-16-17, 08:56 PM
All Ohio

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
The difference could come down to strength of schedule this season. The SWBL probably won't prepare VV for week 11. Massie has a LOADED schedule so come week 11, regardless of their record, they'll be an incredibly tough out for anyone. I'm not calling VV a pushover but they haven't had much success as of late and I'd put them about where Milton Union was in 2012 or Monroe in 2014, both teams Massie laid it on. I could be wrong, but Massie hasn't lost a game to an SWBL team in a long time and they just seem to win the games they're supposed to.
Old 04-17-17, 08:28 AM
Junior Varsity

indianfan2016 is on a distinguished road
Very valid point about the schedule. Massie has 1 great game (CW), 3 really good games (NW, NR, Wilm), 3 good games (SS, MT,Goshen) and 3 bad games (EC, Bat, WB). VV has 2 great games (FR, Franklin), 1 really good game (Wilm), 3 good games (Madison, Bellbrook, Brookville) and 4 bad games (Dixie, Monroe, Oakwood, Eaton).

These two may end up in the regional final, what a slug fest it would be! Would love to see how Massie schemes for the LB from VV, that kid is a player!
Old 04-17-17, 10:35 AM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Massie has seen the best linebackers out of anyone. Alter every year has the best mid/small sized school LB core in the area. Fenwick did two years ago. I highly doubt one kid is going to blow things up. Not doubting the kid's talent but I'm just saying Massie, for years, has to had to deal with 3-4 LBs that are very good and the ones they have faced are playing mid-sized DI college football.
Old 04-17-17, 02:57 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianfan2016 View Post
Very valid point about the schedule. Massie has 1 great game (CW), 3 really good games (NW, NR, Wilm), 3 good games (SS, MT,Goshen) and 3 bad games (EC, Bat, WB). VV has 2 great games (FR, Franklin), 1 really good game (Wilm), 3 good games (Madison, Bellbrook, Brookville) and 4 bad games (Dixie, Monroe, Oakwood, Eaton).

These two may end up in the regional final, what a slug fest it would be! Would love to see how Massie schemes for the LB from VV, that kid is a player!
Uh cant speak to the other teams you mentioned, but Northwest will be way down. Lost 16 starters including the QB and almost all the skilled position players.
Old 04-17-17, 04:13 PM
All Ohio

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple option View Post
Totally agree! And that linebacker...Hannah i believe?
How is Valley View in the trenches? Much experience and size?
Old 04-18-17, 10:14 AM
Junior Varsity

Experienced on both sides, not huge, but very powerful! I think 4-5 are wrestlers with 2 going to state this year and 1 was runner up! Not saying they're D1 college material but they all can hold their own!

Old 04-18-17, 10:16 AM
Junior Varsity

Valley View and Massie would definitely be a great game to watch this year barring any injury setbacks!

Old 04-18-17, 10:56 AM
All District

Riverman is on a distinguished road
Wink

These two may end up in the regional final, what a slug fest it would be! would love to see how Massie schemes for the LB from VV, that kid is a player![/QUOTE]

Massie does not scheme because of a player, If you know Massie they run right at you. Easy team to defend, load the box with your best and try to beat them. they run 95% of the time.
Old 04-18-17, 12:30 PM
Junior Varsity

I wouldn't say easy to defend! But yes, they run power football, and you better be ready for a fight in the trenches!

Old 04-18-17, 12:53 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
These two may end up in the regional final, what a slug fest it would be! would love to see how Massie schemes for the LB from VV, that kid is a player!
Massie does not scheme because of a player, If you know Massie they run right at you. Easy team to defend, load the box with your best and try to beat them. they run 95% of the time.[/QUOTE]

The Triple Option is never "easy" to defend, especially when Massie is so good at it and building their entire O around it. I think you're being sarcastic but Massie can throw it too... Many of their QBs will have 500+ yards passing with a high % of completions being TDs.
Old 04-18-17, 03:43 PM
Freshman

SomewhereIn Ohio is on a distinguished road
Massie’s defense will be lights out and on offense there will be some new faces in the backfield with more speed and playmaking ability than last year. QB is a very important decision that I believe will be the deciding factor in a very good team and a great team.
Old 04-18-17, 06:03 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereIn Ohio View Post
Massie’s defense will be lights out and on offense there will be some new faces in the backfield with more speed and playmaking ability than last year. QB is a very important decision that I believe will be the deciding factor in a very good team and a great team.
Uh I saw Massie last year, and I have no idea how many kids they have coming back. But against Edgewood they looked totally lost and physically got dominated. Things change from year to year but I was not impressed with Massie last year.
Old 04-19-17, 08:40 AM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh I saw Massie last year, and I have no idea how many kids they have coming back. But against Edgewood they looked totally lost and physically got dominated. Things change from year to year but I was not impressed with Massie last year.
They return a solid core of players. Last year was the first year the were playing several players both ways in a long time. Alter handled them soundly. They lose a few good players but I think they can make another good run. One thing I've always been impressed with Massie is the fact they don't have DI players or big names people talk about except the Wolfe brothers... and they still compete, grind it out, and win.
Old 04-19-17, 05:03 PM
Varsity

Quote:
I was at this game also, 1st game of a quad scrimmage. Massie did have a couple starters out that game but you are right. Edgewood was fired up and took it to em. Good learning moment for Massie, glad it happened that way. Eye opening experience for a good team to face adversity. Turned out tho that Edgewood gave alot of good teams trouble last year.
Old 04-19-17, 05:35 PM
Varsity

Agree with several comments on this thread. No mystery what Massie tries to do offensively, just depends how the defense plays that will be lead by a 1st team all state linebacker of their own. These teams sound alot alike in several ways. I think the front 5 are good sized on the o-line tho for Massie. Also with a state wrestler.
Old 04-21-17, 05:39 AM
All District

Riverman is on a distinguished road
The Triple Option is never "easy" to defend, especially when Massie is so good at it and building their entire O around it. I think you're being sarcastic but Massie can throw it too... Many of their QBs will have 500+ yards passing with a high % of completions being TDs.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was being sarcastic. very few teams defend it well and Massie does it as well as anybody , except when they play teams that are bigger up front (Alter, Steubenville ) that when they need to open it up and pass more. Yes they have passing yard, but most are broken pass plays for big yards against sub par teams. Massie will have a new QB this year. I hear that they may have a battle for that position this year ? I'm not saying that they should go away from the Triple Option or Wing T , but mix it up a little more. They have the talent to move the ball and score. But everyone knows that they are going to run at them. Take advantage.
Old 04-27-17, 05:52 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off_Tackle08 View Post
The difference could come down to strength of schedule this season. The SWBL probably won't prepare VV for week 11. Massie has a LOADED schedule so come week 11, regardless of their record, they'll be an incredibly tough out for anyone. I'm not calling VV a pushover but they haven't had much success as of late and I'd put them about where Milton Union was in 2012 or Monroe in 2014, both teams Massie laid it on. I could be wrong, but Massie hasn't lost a game to an SWBL team in a long time and they just seem to win the games they're supposed to.
Uh you gotta be kidn me. Massies schedule better than Valley View? Noway That league Massie is in is a joke. Massie plays no one nearly as talented as Franklin or Brookville.
Old 04-27-17, 06:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Uh you gotta be kidn me. Massies schedule better than Valley View? Noway That league Massie is in is a joke. Massie plays no one nearly as talented as Franklin or Brookville.
Disagree. New Richmond is pretty much the spitting image of Franklin and have a very good athlete at QB who is just like Montgomery. Wilmington > Brookville.
Northwest and Coldwater are better than most SWBL schools. Heck, I'd take Goshen over most of that league.
Old 04-27-17, 08:51 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off_Tackle08 View Post
Disagree. New Richmond is pretty much the spitting image of Franklin and have a very good athlete at QB who is just like Montgomery. Wilmington > Brookville.
Northwest and Coldwater are better than most SWBL schools. Heck, I'd take Goshen over most of that league.
Uh dude I don't how you arrive at your conclusions but obviously you lack a lot of information.New Richmond couldn't beat Franklins JV. Northwest is gonna be awful and Goshen would be a lower tier SWBL team.Wilmington got out of the SWOC because they got their azzes handed to them in football year after year. Massies league is a joke. Uh don't believe there is anyone in that league close to Montgomery, although the Beaguard kid from Wilmington is a good athlete.
Old 04-28-17, 06:24 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Uh dude I don't how you arrive at your conclusions but obviously you lack a lot of information.New Richmond couldn't beat Franklins JV. Northwest is gonna be awful and Goshen would be a lower tier SWBL team.Wilmington got out of the SWOC because they got their azzes handed to them in football year after year. Massies league is a joke. Uh don't believe there is anyone in that league close to Montgomery, although the Beaguard kid from Wilmington is a good athlete.
So you're saying Mt. Healthy couldn't beat Franklin's JV? Because I'm almost certain New Richmond beat them in the playoffs. I'd say Wyatt Fischer from WB is just as good as Montgomery as well... but he plays for a down team. Anderson for NR is the spitting image of Montgomery but he's a year younger...
Old 04-28-17, 07:54 AM
Junior Varsity

It was St Mary's who beat franklin in the playoffs! Not sure who the other boys are you're talking about but I have personally watched Montgomery, Genslinger and Wallen in the SWBL and all three are playmakers! Montgomery being the better of the three! When your getting offers from Michigan state, Indiana, Kentucky to name a few, there is a lot to be said about that individual! I'm not gonna put down Clinton Massies league because they won 3 state championships coming out of it. Not gonna put down the SWBL either considering that Valley View won 3 state championships coming out of it in the 90's! Yes, I know that was years ago but still, don't put down a team just because of the league they're in, a great team will find ways to win no matter what!

Old 04-28-17, 08:46 AM
Junior Varsity

indianfan2016 is on a distinguished road
The only player in the SBAAC even close to Montgomery is the kid from Wilmington. If WB had a kid like Montgomery they would have went 8-2 or 7-3 at worst with their schedule. To say Goshen is better than most teams in the SWBL is a joke. Goshen would finish 4th or 5th at best. (Franklin, VV, Brookville, Bellbrook) Goshen is closer to Oakwood than the top of the league. Goshen would finish 3rd or 4th in the small side of the league. (Madison, MU, Carlisle last year, not sure about this year).
Old 04-28-17, 11:25 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianfan2016 View Post
The only player in the SBAAC even close to Montgomery is the kid from Wilmington. If WB had a kid like Montgomery they would have went 8-2 or 7-3 at worst with their schedule. To say Goshen is better than most teams in the SWBL is a joke. Goshen would finish 4th or 5th at best. (Franklin, VV, Brookville, Bellbrook) Goshen is closer to Oakwood than the top of the league. Goshen would finish 3rd or 4th in the small side of the league. (Madison, MU, Carlisle last year, not sure about this year).
You are right, last year Goshen would have come in towards the lower end of the larger side but they would easily compete in the small side for the title. You could put Montgomery on WB and they wouldn't go 8-2... no way. I don't think you realize how little they're dealing with. The Fischer kid is one of the best WRs in in the Cincinnati area and is a very talent young man. They don't utilize him enough. If you took the new SBC and matched those 6 schools up with the larger schools in the SWBL... the SBC would break even but their best is better than the top of the SWBL.

Massie over Franklin
Wilmington over Valley View (We'll get to see this week one, right?)
New Richmond over Brookville and Bellbrook
Goshen would compete will with those two but lets give the SWBL the win.
Western Brown would lose to Monroe
Batavia would get killed by anyone in the larger side or small side...

But this whole thread started talking about Massie and VV. I still give Massie the edge with the fact they're also playing Coldwater, Shawnee and Northwest to go along with their league... which is better than they league they're coming from and just as good if not better overall than the SWBL.
Old 04-28-17, 11:51 AM
Junior Varsity

Hopefully we get to see VV vs Massie! A lot can happen between now and then!

Old 04-28-17, 12:20 PM
All District

BigK72 is on a distinguished road
Depending on how the regions are drawn, St. Marys could be in this region too because they have dropped to DIV. They may go to 14, but they've traditionally been in the SW Region of DIII.
Old 04-28-17, 01:25 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigK72 View Post
Depending on how the regions are drawn, St. Marys could be in this region too because they have dropped to DIV. They may go to 14, but they've traditionally been in the SW Region of DIII.
Yeah it's always an odd line there. Kenton used to bounce between SW and NW...