Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-19-17, 08:13 AM
Voice of Reason

elkfan is on a distinguished road
Brent Ullery named new Head Coach at Centerville

Good to see CHS administration go with an Elk & ex-Buckeye. This should help bring Pride back to Centerville. Good luck Coach!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-17, 08:24 AM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Met him once, great guy & very knowledgeable. Sweet hire Centerville.
Old 04-19-17, 08:32 AM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
So in summation:
Elks fire Ron Ullery.
Elks have 1 good year in a new offense and still flame out rd 1 to a 16 seed.
Elks begin to struggle as a program and lose numbers.
Elks coach resigns for honorable family reasons.
Elks hire fired, successful previous coach son with no HC experience at any
level.

My take from this is that when Dad Ullery was let go the coaching pool was great with a good reputation in the area of the school. This time the pool was so good they hire a guy on the previous staff with no HC or I believe coordinating experience? I do not wish to bash Mr. Ullery but this seems like a weird, somewhat desperate hire by the AD for a school like Centerville. I hope I do not come across wrong, I do wish Mr. Ullery success.
Old 04-19-17, 08:36 AM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
So in summation:
Elks fire Ron Ullery.
Elks have 1 good year in a new offense and still flame out rd 1 to a 16 seed.
Elks begin to struggle as a program and lose numbers.
Elks coach resigns for honorable family reasons.
Elks hire fired, successful previous coach son with no HC experience at any
level.

My take from this is that when Dad Ullery was let go the coaching pool was great with a good reputation in the area of the school. This time the pool was so good they hire a guy on the previous staff with no HC or I believe coordinating experience? I do not wish to bash Mr. Ullery but this seems like a weird, somewhat desperate hire by the AD for a school like Centerville. I hope I do not come across wrong, I do wish Mr. Ullery success.
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 04-19-17, 08:43 AM
All District

SideRef is on a distinguished road
It's a Centerville guy and that is good. Not sure about his qualifications but he has a challenge ahead of him. Dumbment set the program back and it may take awhile to turn things around.
Old 04-19-17, 08:48 AM
All Region

AHM is on a distinguished road
Established coaches could not run fast enough away from this job. No one wanted it. No one.
Old 04-19-17, 10:09 AM
All Yappi

Elks48 is on a distinguished road
Good hire.
Old 04-19-17, 10:30 AM
All Region

HistoryTeacher is on a distinguished road
I am curious as to what makes this a good hire to those in the Centerville loop? Is it just because he is a "Centerville" guy? What shows it in his current resume that leads you to believe this? This is a general question not meant to be aggressive. I look at it and scratch my head as a what the heck Im confused hire. So what am I missing?
Old 04-19-17, 10:57 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
I am not a Centerville person, but having worked with Coach Ullery for several years at Dublin Coffman, I can say that he is a very good math teacher and was a well regarded assistant coach here at Coffman. The kind of coach that others assumed would be a head coach one day. Ended up leaving Coffman to return home to Centerville to work.
Old 04-19-17, 11:02 AM
Voice of Reason

elkfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryTeacher View Post
I am curious as to what makes this a good hire to those in the Centerville loop? Is it just because he is a "Centerville" guy? What shows it in his current resume that leads you to believe this? This is a general question not meant to be aggressive. I look at it and scratch my head as a what the heck Im confused hire. So what am I missing?
After graduation from Centerville (2003), B. Ullery was a walk-on receiver for OSU for 4 years under Tressell. After graduation he coached at Centerville for few years before getting a teaching/coaching position at Dublin Coffman, then back to Centerville in 2014. He has only coached WO's, was just appointed the OC position at Centerville before RR quit. No doubt he can coach up receivers. There will be a learning curve for sure. He is a smart, hard working guy who would have been a HC someday, his time just arrived a bit early than anticipated. Luckily he will be coaching a talented, veteran team and know's what it takes be a successful coach at this level.

This hire wont totally heal all the wounds created with the elder Ullery firing but it's at least a bridge back to what is missing in the program.
Old 04-19-17, 01:05 PM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
LMFAO....

Run a great coach out of town.
Change your system only to get same result before falling apart.
Hire the son of the coach you ran off.

Wtf is going on with Centerville??
Old 04-19-17, 01:32 PM
Varsity

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
If you had said Centerville (or any GWOC school for that matter) was going to hire someone who had never been a HC or even a Co-ordinator) it probably would be panned. I know B.Ullery will have the support of the old guard as they want to return to PHYSICAL teams. His biggest problem will be; 1. will the Administration back him as he makes more demands and 2. will the parents of PLAYERS back him.
When schools start going soft and promote ASSESTS (self-esteem,etc.) that don't mention Self-Discipline or HARD WORK its tough to fight that mind-set.
It's good that he has coached at other places because what worked for Bob Gregg and even his Dad may be harder to implement. Wish him good luck and hopes he gets the backing he needs.
Old 04-19-17, 03:01 PM
All District

Bull_Elk is on a distinguished road
A DDN news report of the hiring of Brent Ullery:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...3XuuoT9gOmqhJ/

Congrats and good luck to the new interim head football coach!
Old 04-19-17, 03:42 PM
All Region

Falcon93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfan View Post
After graduation from Centerville (2003), B. Ullery was a walk-on receiver for OSU for 4 years under Tressell. After graduation he coached at Centerville for few years before getting a teaching/coaching position at Dublin Coffman, then back to Centerville in 2014. He has only coached WO's, was just appointed the OC position at Centerville before RR quit. No doubt he can coach up receivers. There will be a learning curve for sure. He is a smart, hard working guy who would have been a HC someday, his time just arrived a bit early than anticipated. Luckily he will be coaching a talented, veteran team and know's what it takes be a successful coach at this level.

This hire wont totally heal all the wounds created with the elder Ullery firing but it's at least a bridge back to what is missing in the program.
He was the interim OC in 2014 when Adams was out for 5 weeks.
Old 04-19-17, 03:45 PM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
First off congrats to coach Ullery , he did a good job At Coffman and I think he will be a great HC at some point . As far as Hard Work and Discipline is concerned , I think all schools no matter how " SOFT" you think they are, believe in hard work and discipline not only I the obvious football sense but academically and from a personal standpoint.

Yes I agree the " SELF ESTEEM " movement as it were went too far no question , I am not as gung ho as a detractor on kids getting trophy's as some seem to be or that second place or third place ribbons are worthless as others opine or applaud a kid who throws a runner up trophy in the trash .

I don't think any school administration has a mind set that doesn't promote discipline and hard work and that football program have some kind of battle fighting that " Mind Set ". These dynamics are paramount to achieving , getting better and improving in any activity.

From my experience in youth athletics is getting a trophy sometimes is a cool thing for marginal athletes when young, no damage done or illusions of grandeur that I have seen. In fact kids are smarter and more aware than we realize in many instances, .

With my own kids and their teammates I saw them have a healthy regard for where they fit in in terms of the athletic pecking order if you will, knew there place in that whether they got a trophy or not, they knew they were better than some kids and not as good as others, getting a trophy or ribbon for participation or third place at times { Some trophy's were for tournament titles or a personal achievement } did not dissuade them from knowing their place or give them a false illusion of where they stood. or make them SOFT.

Ullery was a receiver, is he going back to the run centric option stuff they were doing for years?
Old 04-19-17, 04:42 PM
All District

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM View Post
Established coaches could not run fast enough away from this job. No one wanted it. No one.
Several questions -
1. Why hire someone with no Head Coaching or OC/DC experience?
2. Puckett has now been passed over twice, will he stay?
3. Why named Interim HC?
4. Will he change the offense back to the triple option?
5. Will he survive after this year's Senior class graduates (very thin on talent for 3 years)?
6. Heard some candidates that are current HCs pulled out of the process after initial interview. Why?
7. With a new baby, how will he juggle time commitment with a small staff?
Old 04-19-17, 05:10 PM
All American

unbiased1 is an unknown quantity at this point
1-my guess would be upside.

2-not sure why he would leave, he is still DC @ Cville.....and his defense has had some struggles the last few years.

3-I agree with you on that tag?

4-no chance, he came from a passing oriented offense @ Coffman.

5-yes, if he puts in the work and demands a lot from all grades.

6-yes, heard the same. My understanding was because of Dement.

7-not the first or last with kids, baby.

All good questions. I think it was a good hire personally. He can instill the true meaning of Elk Pride, and also bring a balanced passing offense.......and make all parties/parents/ administration happy!
Old 04-20-17, 08:14 AM
Varsity

HSfootballfan21 is on a distinguished road
I don't have much to say on the Ullery hire. I'm not emotionally tied to Centerville. It seems like an odd hire but I can say that at Miamisburg there was that, "You hire Burg guys to run to program" mentality going on for a long time in Miamisburg. The program flat lined and they finally broke the mold and hired an old rival coach, who wasn't a Burg guy, to run the program and the rest is history. I think the main difference is Channel was embraced by the Miamisburg community day 1. Good luck to the Elks. I wish we could flip Wayne for Centerville every once in awhile. Let Springboro play Wayne for a few years.
Old 04-20-17, 09:36 AM
All Yappi

MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSfootballfan21 View Post
I don't have much to say on the Ullery hire. I'm not emotionally tied to Centerville. It seems like an odd hire but I can say that at Miamisburg there was that, "You hire Burg guys to run to program" mentality going on for a long time in Miamisburg. The program flat lined and they finally broke the mold and hired an old rival coach, who wasn't a Burg guy, to run the program and the rest is history. I think the main difference is Channel was embraced by the Miamisburg community day 1. Good luck to the Elks. I wish we could flip Wayne for Centerville every once in awhile. Let Springboro play Wayne for a few years.
This. Hire the best guy possible, not the best guy who grew up/played there. If the best guy happens to be "family", then so be it.
Old 04-20-17, 09:55 AM
Varsity

HSfootballfan21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontetheCarlo View Post
This. Hire the best guy possible, not the best guy who grew up/played there. If the best guy happens to be "family", then so be it.
The future will tell if he is the right guy. He has a great resource in his father. As an outsider, I just expected Centerville to land an established coach. Wayne went to Florida to find Jay. I think Wayne people are happy they didn't go with a Wayne guy. Look whats happened in Miamisburg with Channel. I think we can all agree that football is the one sport that coaching is critical for success. I hope Ullery can return the tradition to Centerville. I mean Centerville was the #1 seed not that long ago. Centerville football hasn't flat lined like Northmont in the 90's and Miamisburg from 2005 till Channel arrived. I've wondered for awhile if the rise of Springboro, Lebanon, and now Miamisburg has had anything to do with the decline of Centerville football. Centerville had a monopoly on successful families wanting to live in South Dayton for a long time and it seems plausible that the rise of the other South Dayton cities has caused the talent to spread out in South Dayton. Also, Alter was not Alter the last time the Elks had a team that could win a state title (1999). That was the best team in Ohio.
Old 04-20-17, 12:46 PM
All Region

lebanonwarriors4ever is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The future will tell if he is the right guy. He has a great resource in his father. As an outsider, I just expected Centerville to land an established coach. Wayne went to Florida to find Jay. I think Wayne people are happy they didn't go with a Wayne guy. Look whats happened in Miamisburg with Channel. I think we can all agree that football is the one sport that coaching is critical for success. I hope Ullery can return the tradition to Centerville. I mean Centerville was the #1 seed not that long ago. Centerville football hasn't flat lined like Northmont in the 90's and Miamisburg from 2005 till Channel arrived. I've wondered for awhile if the rise of Springboro, Lebanon, and now Miamisburg has had anything to do with the decline of Centerville football. Centerville had a monopoly on successful families wanting to live in South Dayton for a long time and it seems plausible that the rise of the other South Dayton cities has caused the talent to spread out in South Dayton. Also, Alter was not Alter the last time the Elks had a team that could win a state title (1999). That was the best team in Ohio.
The rise of Lebanon ? Lebanon was last in the West last season. Lebanon has not beaten Boro since 2011. Last time they beat Burg was 2013. Centerville was just plain horrible last season, and that was the first time Lebanon has ever beaten Centerville.
Old 04-20-17, 12:48 PM
All Region

lebanonwarriors4ever is on a distinguished road
I am sure Brett will probably hire his father as an assistant coach, which would be a good move.
Old 04-20-17, 03:44 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I've wondered for awhile if the rise of Springboro, Lebanon, and now Miamisburg has had anything to do with the decline of Centerville football. Centerville had a monopoly on successful families wanting to live in South Dayton for a long time and it seems plausible that the rise of the other South Dayton cities has caused the talent to spread out in South Dayton.
I've done some GWOC stuff with middle school basketball in the last few years, and those three schools definitely seemed to be trending upward with talent. I believe I've stated before on the basketball board that I'd expect all three to start performing at a fairly high level within the next couple years.

As far as football goes, you may be on to something here as Springboro and Miamisburg have been ticking upwards recently.
Old 04-20-17, 04:55 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
I've done some GWOC stuff with middle school basketball in the last few years, and those three schools definitely seemed to be trending upward with talent. I believe I've stated before on the basketball board that I'd expect all three to start performing at a fairly high level within the next couple years.

As far as football goes, you may be on to something here as Springboro and Miamisburg have been ticking upwards recently.
Uh Burg going to D1 is the end of the party.
Old 04-20-17, 05:33 PM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
I think it is a good hire as well. I hope he wins nine regular season games every year.
Old 04-20-17, 05:52 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
In the playoffs perhaps. Not in the GWOC.
Old 04-20-17, 08:33 PM
Freshman

Rock Chalk is on a distinguished road
Solid Hire
Old 04-21-17, 02:39 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebanonwarriors4ever View Post
The rise of Lebanon ? Lebanon was last in the West last season. Lebanon has not beaten Boro since 2011. Last time they beat Burg was 2013. Centerville was just plain horrible last season, and that was the first time Lebanon has ever beaten Centerville.
It's amazing that last year was the first time Lebanon has ever beaten Centerville in the long storied series. I know, I know, Lebanon has all the talent in the world but the coaches just don't know how to use their players. Let's be honest, the Warriors probably will never be more than a Playoff Berth and maybe one win type team as long as they're in R2. Goal should be more towards winning league.
Old 04-21-17, 10:10 AM
All Yappi

FBGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebanonwarriors4ever View Post
Lebanon made the DI playoffs last year. You should go to some of the games if you get a chance.
Old 04-21-17, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

FBGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Our point total last year would have had us as the two seed in D1 region 4 last year.