Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-19-17, 04:26 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDawg View Post
The Field House will not go anywhere.
It belongs to CCS, not HOFVillage.
Their new 6,000 seat arena is going to be multi-purpose and hosting the draft here is a prime reason of its existence for the 100th NFL anniversary and possibly beyond.
Dan Gilbert (Quicken Loans) want to manage the new arena from what I've heard.
Don't confuse Canton City Schools and the HOF Village beyond the new stadium because they are very much separate entities with the deals that have been made.
I am not confusing the two entities. . . my point was just that when the FH needs major repairs/renovations, and that will be sooner than later for the 65 year old facility, a brand new arena down the hill will not help the cause. I have been concerned about the FH's future for awhile. I love the place but it serves no purpose for the CCS anymore. It will be cheaper to build the gym they need as opposed to renovating a FH that has not been needed for decades.

To put millions into (or, perhaps more accurately, to be able to find the millions for) a place so that it can be packed one in a great while for a McKinley game or the occasional regional or district seems unlikely. Poor use of CCS funds and unlikely to appeal to the large foundations in town. It will have to be a "preserve the historic FH" approach and I just wonder if the money would be raised. I hope it is but I have my doubts.
Old 04-19-17, 04:28 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
And the longest host, easily, has been the Stagg Bowl at Salem. The only longer tenured host would probably be the baseball D1 tournament in Omaha.

Big deal that Canton gets it. Do a good job, and it might be a few decades before they even consider moving it.
Many of the articles and news releases yesterday actually mentioned that the NCAA has stated that they want to get away from, with the exception of the CWS in Omaha, destination sites that host championships over and over again for extended periods of time. So, regardless of the success of the event, it is unlikely to be parked in Canton for an extended period of years IF the NCAA stays true to the goal/philosophy in the coming years.
Old 04-19-17, 06:04 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
Many of the articles and news releases yesterday actually mentioned that the NCAA has stated that they want to get away from, with the exception of the CWS in Omaha, destination sites that host championships over and over again for extended periods of time. So, regardless of the success of the event, it is unlikely to be parked in Canton for an extended period of years IF the NCAA stays true to the goal/philosophy in the coming years.
Then that is a big change of pace for the NCAA. I know they started staging the D2 basketball title in the D1 host market as part of the weekend in the past.

I'm guessing they think they can make more money from bidding it around every couple of years than they will developing a relationship with one community and building it up from there.

This will probably, be the largest stadium to host the D3 championship, though. I'm curious what the financials are, since they seemed much more comfortable hosting at member stadiums.

Quote:
This is going to be a very rare case where the host stadium of TWO NAIA teams will be hosting the NCAA championship. Now, that is odd when you think of it.
* Correction, didn't know that they had switched from NAIA to NCAA. Makes more sense now.

But, as I said before, one problem Canton may encounter is 'championship fatigue' if they have the OHSAA titles and then a week or two later host the NCAA D3 championship weekend the same year. Especially if it's not an Ohio team in it (primarily Mount Union). The NCAA relies heavily on the two fan bases traveling, but the host city has to buy tickets to make it worth while.

Last edited by Sykotyk; 04-19-17 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 06:25 PM
All American

BigSack is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Then that is a big change of pace for the NCAA. I know they started staging the D2 basketball title in the D1 host market as part of the weekend in the past.

I'm guessing they think they can make more money from bidding it around every couple of years than they will developing a relationship with one community and building it up from there.

This will probably, be the largest stadium to host the D3 championship, though. I'm curious what the financials are, since they seemed much more comfortable hosting at member stadiums.

This is going to be a very rare case where the host stadium of TWO NAIA teams will be hosting the NCAA championship. Now, that is odd when you think of it.

But, as I said before, one problem Canton may encounter is 'championship fatigue' if they have the OHSAA titles and then a week or two later host the NCAA D3 championship weekend the same year. Especially if it's not an Ohio team in it (primarily Mount Union). The NCAA relies heavily on the two fan bases traveling, but the host city has to buy tickets to make it worth while.
Walsh and Malone are no longer NAIA

The geographical center of D3 football is somewhere north of Columbus, so Canton is not too bad geographically. Getting to Canton will be far easier for most D3 fans than getting to Salem and especially TX. The TX location makes no sense what-so-ever. Only 5% of D3 schools are even within busing distance of the TX location.

The attendance last year was only 3,700 for the Stagg Bowl. It was the time to leave Salem. Texas will get decent attendance due to the newness of the event, but it's going to be a pain for fans to get there. A WI/MN vs MUC Stagg Bowl in Texas, days before Christmas, isn't going to draw many fans from either school. Having Mary Hardin-Baylor in the game is there only hope for 18-19.

But stick, those same teams in Canton and you are talking about 15-18k and a great look on TV. Take Mount out and its still 8-10k just due to driving distance. Tarp off the upper bowl with sponsors and it's no big deal
Old 04-19-17, 06:47 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSack View Post
Walsh and Malone are no longer NAIA

The geographical center of D3 football is somewhere north of Columbus, so Canton is not too bad geographically. Getting to Canton will be far easier for most D3 fans than getting to Salem and especially TX. The TX location makes no sense what-so-ever. Only 5% of D3 schools are even within busing distance of the TX location.

The attendance last year was only 3,700 for the Stagg Bowl. It was the time to leave Salem. Texas will get decent attendance due to the newness of the event, but it's going to be a pain for fans to get there. A WI/MN vs MUC Stagg Bowl in Texas, days before Christmas, isn't going to draw many fans from either school. Having Mary Hardin-Baylor in the game is there only hope for 18-19.

But stick, those same teams in Canton and you are talking about 15-18k and a great look on TV. Take Mount out and its still 8-10k just due to driving distance. Tarp off the upper bowl with sponsors and it's no big deal

I just looked up Malone and saw NAIA but didn't go to their site until just now. Since when did they switch? Shows how little I've ever paid attention to them.

As for Texas, yes, it will be a problem. I'm really surprised D3 is going there. D2 makes much more sense. Frisco already has D1 (and it looks like it's done well so far, YSU-JMU last year did really well). D3 is predominantly midwest, and makes a lot of sense to be between Chicago and Pittsburgh in terms of team travel. Yes, weather can be a bigger issue, but Salem wasn't exactly a warm weather area, either, but far enough south you'd likely get cold, drizzle instead of snow most of the time bad weather rolls through.
Old 04-19-17, 07:01 PM
All American

BigSack is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I just looked up Malone and saw NAIA but didn't go to their site until just now. Since when did they switch? Shows how little I've ever paid attention to them.

As for Texas, yes, it will be a problem. I'm really surprised D3 is going there. D2 makes much more sense. Frisco already has D1 (and it looks like it's done well so far, YSU-JMU last year did really well). D3 is predominantly midwest, and makes a lot of sense to be between Chicago and Pittsburgh in terms of team travel. Yes, weather can be a bigger issue, but Salem wasn't exactly a warm weather area, either, but far enough south you'd likely get cold, drizzle instead of snow most of the time bad weather rolls through.
Nobody pays attention to Walsh or Malone football.

I wonder how much waiting for the HOF Village to be completed affected the NCAA's decision. By 2020, everything will be good to go. Stadium, hotel, indoor facility, convention center, restaurants, etc etc. Stagg Bowl wont be leaving Canton unless some $$ gets pissed about Mount or the attendance dips. It seems like Texas was thrown a bone for 18-19, rather than give Salem two more years. Its going to suck, but hopefully Mount can go down there and win a couple of titles and steal some Houston recruits. The TX HS championship games are generally the same weekend as the Stagg Bowl, good luck with attendance in TX. Its going to be an ugly couple of years.

Salem's weather is garbage. 39 with rain and wind is far worse than 30 and maybe some snow in Canton
Old 04-20-17, 10:31 AM
Bulldogs, Buckeyes & Browns!

DaveDawg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DaveDawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
I am not confusing the two entities. . . my point was just that when the FH needs major repairs/renovations, and that will be sooner than later for the 65 year old facility, a brand new arena down the hill will not help the cause. I have been concerned about the FH's future for awhile. I love the place but it serves no purpose for the CCS anymore. It will be cheaper to build the gym they need as opposed to renovating a FH that has not been needed for decades.

To put millions into (or, perhaps more accurately, to be able to find the millions for) a place so that it can be packed one in a great while for a McKinley game or the occasional regional or district seems unlikely. Poor use of CCS funds and unlikely to appeal to the large foundations in town. It will have to be a "preserve the historic FH" approach and I just wonder if the money would be raised. I hope it is but I have my doubts.
Sounds to me like you are VERY confused.
New arena that you don't own and a facility you do?
The Field House has no purpose for CCS anymore?
Cheaper to build new gym than renovate FH?

What planet of fake news did you land from?

Any credibility you had (?) is certainly gone now.
Old 04-20-17, 04:45 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDawg View Post
Sounds to me like you are VERY confused.
New arena that you don't own and a facility you do?
The Field House has no purpose for CCS anymore?
Cheaper to build new gym than renovate FH?

What planet of fake news did you land from?

Any credibility you had (?) is certainly gone now.
We disagree and that's ok with me. I never got personal and would hope you wouldn't either. That said, and I'll drop this issue and yield to you as you likely know more of what's going on in Canton City than me:

(1) I'm asking how many facilities capable of hosting 5,000 for basketball are needed in one community?

(2) If CCS could have access to such a facility on the increasingly rare occasion when they need it and without the cost and responsibility of owning it, that MIGHT be a good thing.

(3) As compared to rebuilding vs replacing, it is not cheaper to build a new 5,000 seat FH but it would likely be cheaper to build what they need - a typical high school gym.

(4) Other than history and memories, no,CCS no longer needs a 5,000 seat gym. Those days are over.
Old 04-23-17, 02:26 PM
Freshman

Greenwave38 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Walsh and Malone have been d2 since 2012 in the gliac . Made up of Ohio and Michigan teams. Next year every d2 team in Ohio will move to the great Midwest conference except Ashland. Hillsdale Michigan is coming too to create a all private conference. G-mac http://g-macsports.com
Old 04-24-17, 11:31 AM
All Yappi

IUDOGS is on a distinguished road
Cool Canton's Tom Benson Construction

It's April 24, 2017.

100 days left before game day of the 2017 Pro Hall Fame Football Game.

Dallas Cowboys vs Arizona Cardinals

WHEN: Thursday August 03, 2017

WHERE: Tom Benson Hall Of Fame Stadium

Kick Off: 8:00 PM

This is IUDOGS signing off.
Old 04-26-17, 07:30 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Hats off to those IronWorkers,love to see that Flag go up...BAM!
Old 05-03-17, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

It's May 03, 2017.

92 days left before game day of the 2017 Pro Hall Fame Football Game.

Old 05-07-17, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

It's May 07, 2017.

88 days left before game day of the 2017 Pro Hall Fame Football Game.

Old 05-07-17, 12:47 PM
All Region

chito is on a distinguished road
Looks like a lot of activity going on today. It appears that seats are being installed on the home side and the stage is going up on the visitors side?
Old 05-07-17, 02:18 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Looks like they're building the stairs on the south stands. Will probsbly be another month before they start installing seats
Old 05-07-17, 02:54 PM
All Region

chito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Looks like they're building the stairs on the south stands. Will probsbly be another month before they start installing seats
On second look I think you're right. Stairs make more sense.
Old 05-07-17, 07:03 PM
All Yappi

longtime1sttime
"Canton eyes chance to host NFL Draft in 2020 with construction around Hall of Fame on schedule"
https://theathletic.com/58463/2017/0...draft-in-2020/
Old 05-13-17, 12:27 PM
All Yappi

It's May 13, 2017.

82 days left before game day of the 2017 Pro Hall Fame Football Game.

Old 05-15-17, 02:21 PM
All Yappi

Still a bit of work to be done in the next 2.5 months
Old 05-16-17, 12:33 AM
All Region

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
Whoa. Thought they'd be further along. Is this considered on schedule?
Old 05-17-17, 04:18 AM
All Yappi

I would assume so. The pressbox area being a bit bare makes it look worse than it probably is.
Old 05-17-17, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
The Rep has a recent photo gallery with some pics of the interior construction.

http://www.cantonrep.com/photogaller...515009999/PH/1
Old 05-17-17, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Seats are being installed.

http://www.profootballhof.com/tom-be...struction-cam/
Old 05-17-17, 09:48 AM
All Yappi

Canton's Tom Benson Construction

It's May 17, 2017.

78 days left before game day of the 2017 Pro Hall Fame Football Game.

Old 05-22-17, 03:19 PM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
All cranes removed from the field; concrete decking for south seats installed.
Tearing up the turf and removing dirt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SnapShot-20170522_161459.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1633  
Old 05-23-17, 08:45 AM
All Yappi

It's May 23, 2017.

72 days left before game day of the 2017 Pro Hall Fame Football Game.

Old 05-28-17, 10:38 AM
All Yappi

It's May 28, 2017.

68 days left before game day of the 2017 Pro Hall Fame Football Game.

Old 06-02-17, 02:15 PM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Putting in the base layers for the field.
http://www.profootballhof.com/tom-be...struction-cam/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SnapShot-20170602_151227.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1640  
Old 06-02-17, 03:32 PM
All World

It's looking pretty good. Got to drive by it a week ago. That south side stand is much higher and imposing than it looked in the original sketches of the place.
Old 06-02-17, 05:47 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
When and where will they be placing the hundreds of memorial bricks and pavers that were at Faucett?