Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-17, 04:44 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Dave Winfield

Brian Jordan

I concur, rdlwolverine, with OWK -- great question!.
Old 04-19-17, 05:00 PM
Varsity

rdlwolverine is on a distinguished road
No to Joe Sparma, Brian Jordan and Dave Winfield - though there is an Ohio State player on the list. Hula Bowl and East-West Shrine MVP, played for the Pittsburgh Pirates. From Elyria.
Old 04-19-17, 05:28 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlwolverine View Post
No to Joe Sparma, Brian Jordan and Dave Winfield - though there is an Ohio State player on the list. Hula Bowl and East-West Shrine MVP, played for the Pittsburgh Pirates. From Elyria.
Now we're cookin', rdlwolverine. Love those hints:

Vic Janowicz, the Heisman Trophy winner and Pirate

ROCK ON!
Old 04-19-17, 06:15 PM
All Ohio

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Didn't Hop Cassidy play both?
Old 04-20-17, 09:21 AM
Varsity

Yes to Janowicz. I think Cassidy may have played baseball at OSU, but never in MLB. 5 remaining, hints coming this afternoon.
Old 04-20-17, 11:55 AM
All Ohio

JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
I am going to go with with 2 PAC guys - John Elway, Anthony Davis
Old 04-20-17, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Drew Henson

Despite being highly drafted by the Yankees out of HS, I'm not sure Henson even made it to the majors. However, he may have been a bowl MVP while in college despite the fact that he was splitting QB time with Tom Brady.
Old 04-20-17, 03:01 PM
All World

Since his name hasn't been mentioned, we might be skipping an obvious choice - Jackie Robinson.

ROCK ON!
Old 04-20-17, 03:14 PM
Varsity

No to Elway, Davis and Henson. Henson is the only one of those three to play MLB.

So here are some hints -

1) A left-handed quarterback he was MVP of both a Rose Bowl and a Hula Bowl. Played for the Tigers and Blue Jays. The first Div 1A football player to score 200 points and pass for over 200 points, he also played JV basketball in college (but never on varsity).

2) A former Cleveland Indian, this OF was MVP of the Hula Bowl. He played one year for the 49ers, but he is most famous for being the only player to pinch hit for Ted Williams as well as being the only player to pinch hit for Carl Yastrzemski.

3) A Sugar Bowl MVP at quarterback, his entire ML career was as a catcher for the Yankees. He was on three pennant winning teams, but only as a late season call up for a few games. He later played more regularly for the Yankees after being a member of the 1965 Toledo Mud Hens, the first year back in Toledo after the team had left town in the 1950s.

4) This Rose Bowl MVP was a teammate of Babe Ruth but is more famous for his looooong NFL career, where he was virtually synonymous with one of the teams.

5) The "Golden Greek" was MVP of the Senior Bowl, but pursued a MLB career with his hometown Red Sox. He started at 1B as a rookie, but died tragically of a viral infection the next season.
Old 04-20-17, 03:39 PM
All World

Wow! Even with the hints, these are tough. I'll try to take one off the list by naming:
#3 Jake Gibbs, Ole Miss

ROCK ON!
Old 04-20-17, 03:47 PM
Varsity

OWK nails one of them with Jake Gibbs.
Old 04-20-17, 04:08 PM
All Ohio

Thanks for the clues, rdlwolverine.
I'll say # 1 is Rick Leach (Michigan)
Old 04-20-17, 04:38 PM
Varsity

Monclova Steve is correct on Rick Leach. That leaves 2, 4 and 5.
Old 04-21-17, 01:10 PM
All Ohio

#4. I don't even know if he played baseball, but your clue describes only one NFL guy to me, anyway.......George Halas (the old "Papa Bear" himself!).
Old 04-21-17, 01:30 PM
Varsity

Diva is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone, just checking in to see how you all are.

I am LOVING the spring trees lately! I've been out walking/running instead of doing the dreadmill now that it's warmer. The colors bursting forth are just glorious.

Carry on, my wayward sons.
Old 04-21-17, 02:07 PM
All Ohio

I vote to change the name of our group to "The Wayward Sons" - at least unofficially.

(I believe that was the name of a band mentioned on here at some time.)
Old 04-21-17, 10:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I am LOVING the spring trees lately! I've been out walking/running instead of doing the dreadmill now that it's warmer. The colors bursting forth are just glorious.
Diva - Good to hear from you and glad that all is well. It's also nice to hear that winter is finally over in Upper.

Bevo - Yep, most of us would qualify as "wayward".

Monclova Steve - God bless you for attempting to answer rdlwolverine's very tough trivia question. I "tapped out" on that question long ago. Not to put any pressure on you, but sometime you might want to share some of the names of those great baseball players from your area. You guys had some MLB greats at Western Hills and Elder has been loaded for a long time (but of course you already know that since your cousin is the Panthers' baseball coach). I have a very good friend who graduated from Elder in 1961 and he played in the state championship FOUR consecutive years. Elder won in '58, '59 and '60 (and came in 2nd in '61). That is quite an amazing run.

ROCK ON!
Old 04-23-17, 03:00 PM
All Ohio

4. Red Grange.

I'm out without a heap more!
Old 04-23-17, 07:25 PM
All District

coldshoulder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post

1. I got nuthin' on the current baseball/football trivia.

2. I too love the "Wayward Sons" reference, and it does seem to suit at least some of us...

3. "...doing the dreadmill..."
Was that a typo, or was that intentional ? Regardless, a new word has entered my lexicon.
Old 04-23-17, 07:37 PM
All Ohio

Diva's moniker "Wayward Sons" may be perfect.
After all -- if I could use a musical reference from bygone days -- many of us have been known to break "The Wayward Wind" on occasion.
Old 04-23-17, 07:52 PM
All Ohio

Diva is profound!
Old 04-23-17, 08:35 PM
Varsity

Monclova Steve is correct with Papa Bear, who had a short MLB career, playing 12 games with the 1919 Yankees. He was MVP of the Rose Bowl earlier that same year for Great Lakes Training.

As to the remaing two, if you can't get them from the current clues, I would guess that you can't get them at all, so I will reveal -
Carroll Hardy played at Colorado and was a back up OF for the Tribe, Bosox and Houston Colt .45s. He was traded by the Cleveland Indians with Russ Nixon to the Boston Red Sox for Ted Bowsfield and Marty Keough in 1960.

The Golden Greek was Harry Agganis, who was a two-sport star at Boston U.
Old 04-23-17, 09:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Monclova Steve is correct with Papa Bear, who had a short MLB career, playing 12 games with the 1919 Yankees. He was MVP of the Rose Bowl earlier that same year for Great Lakes Training.

As to the remaing two, if you can't get them from the current clues, I would guess that you can't get them at all, so I will reveal -
Carroll Hardy played at Colorado and was a back up OF for the Tribe, Bosox and Houston Colt .45s. He was traded by the Cleveland Indians with Russ Nixon to the Boston Red Sox for Ted Bowsfield and Marty Keough in 1960.

The Golden Greek was Harry Agganis, who was a two-sport star at Boston U.
Was Harry Agganis' son Mike who owned a minor league baseball team that once moved from Burlington, VT to Canton, OH to become known as the Canton-Akron Indians (AA affiliate of the Cleveland Indians)?

IIRC, the team in Burlington was the Reds' AA affiliate. Canton built Agganis a new stadium to lure him away from Burlington - Thurman Munson Memorial Stadium. Agganis eventually moved the club from Canton to Akron and got the city to build him a new ballpark - Canal Park. The club became known as the "Aeros," and after a change in ownership a few years ago, is now known as the "Rubber Ducks."

While doing some microfilm research, I ran across an article from the late '80s when Canton was in the process of luring the ball club from Burlington. The mayor of Burlington said that the club had honored its lease but that he couldn't understand why Agganis would want to move the team since it was winning, and the community was supporting the team well. The mayor also said he'd be angry if Agganis would vote to block another team from moving to Burlington and, that if Agganis did so, the mayor would love to sit down with the mayor of Canton and warn him about Agganis. The mayor of Burlington at that time was Bernard Sanders.
Old 04-23-17, 09:09 PM
All Ohio

Wow!
Old 04-24-17, 06:33 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Diva - Good to hear from you and glad that all is well. It's also nice to hear that winter is finally over in Upper.

Bevo - Yep, most of us would qualify as "wayward".

Monclova Steve - God bless you for attempting to answer rdlwolverine's very tough trivia question. I "tapped out" on that question long ago. Not to put any pressure on you, but sometime you might want to share some of the names of those great baseball players from your area. You guys had some MLB greats at Western Hills and Elder has been loaded for a long time (but of course you already know that since your cousin is the Panthers' baseball coach). I have a very good friend who graduated from Elder in 1961 and he played in the state championship FOUR consecutive years. Elder won in '58, '59 and '60 (and came in 2nd in '61). That is quite an amazing run.

ROCK ON!
OWK - Thank you for your kind words. As usual, you are incredibly knowledgeable about, well, everything.
Yes, I am VERY proud of the great baseball tradition(s) at my alma mater, West Hi, as well as those of Elder. It is a source of pride, not unlike that of most of us who take much pride in the school(s) that we were a part of.

For now, I will excuse myself from listing all of the MLB players who graduated from my beloved Western Hills. All of us have great pride in our respective alma maters -- as we should. I am concerned that my doing so would come across as arrogant or conceited. For now, let me just say I was amazed about your knowledge on this subject. That, in itself, fills my heart with pride for good ole' West High.

P.S. Ooh. Ooh. rdlwolverine just posted about Carroll Hardy being involved in a trade involving Russ Nixon.....Yep, Russ Nixon was another proud graduate of Western Hills! Small world, eh?
Old 04-24-17, 09:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
OWK - Thank you for your kind words. As usual, you are incredibly knowledgeable about, well, everything.
Yes, I am VERY proud of the great baseball tradition(s) at my alma mater, West Hi, as well as those of Elder. It is a source of pride, not unlike that of most of us who take much pride in the school(s) that we were a part of.

For now, I will excuse myself from listing all of the MLB players who graduated from my beloved Western Hills. All of us have great pride in our respective alma maters -- as we should. I am concerned that my doing so would come across as arrogant or conceited. For now, let me just say I was amazed about your knowledge on this subject. That, in itself, fills my heart with pride for good ole' West High.

P.S. Ooh. Ooh. rdlwolverine just posted about Carroll Hardy being involved in a trade involving Russ Nixon.....Yep, Russ Nixon was another proud graduate of Western Hills! Small world, eh?
I'm just a pup in these parts, but you have my blessing. I want to hear what famous people have come out of each of our schools. List away.
Old 04-24-17, 10:45 AM
Varsity

Research shows that Mike Agganis is a nephew of Harry Agganis.

Noteable alumni of Toledo Whitmer

Tom Amstutz, former University of Toledo head football coach (same class as me)
David Curson, former congressman from Michigan
Stanton Glantz, Director of the Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education
Nigel Hayes, former Wisconsin Badgers men's basketball player and current NBA prospect
Pat Jablonski, former NHL goalie
Brad Hennessey, former MLB pitcher
Adrianne Palicki, television and film actress (Friday Night Lights, most notably)
Daniel Poneman, Deputy Secretary of Energy in Obama administration was Acting Secretary for brief period of time in 2013
Ron Rightnowar, retired MLB pitcher who played one season with the Milwaukee Brewers
Heath Wingate, played one season with the Washington Redskins
Greg Wojciechowski, NCAA wrestling champion, on 1980 Olympic team that boycotted Moscow games
Gene Ward, Minority Leader Emeritus, Hawaii State House of Representatives, Honolulu.
Chris Wormley, captain 2016 Michigan football team, likely NFL draft pick this year
Kevin Koger, captain 2011 Michigan football team.

If Nigel Hayes makes the NBA, Whitmer will have had alumni in the NBA, MLB, NFL and NHL. I don't know that there are many other public schools that have done that.
Old 04-24-17, 04:06 PM
All Ohio

Got at least one or two quickie quiz I can get on in the next day or two, I believe. One on Daze of the Week and one in honor of the best time of the school year, School Daze.

I am editing this in case anyone wants to run with the sports or athletes at their school(s). I am in no hurry to get my junk on. So, if we are going in another direction, that's great!

Last edited by Bevo; 04-24-17 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-24-17, 10:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Research shows that Mike Agganis is a nephew of Harry Agganis.

Noteable alumni of Toledo Whitmer

Tom Amstutz, former University of Toledo head football coach (same class as me)
David Curson, former congressman from Michigan
Stanton Glantz, Director of the Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education
Nigel Hayes, former Wisconsin Badgers men's basketball player and current NBA prospect
Pat Jablonski, former NHL goalie
Brad Hennessey, former MLB pitcher
Adrianne Palicki, television and film actress (Friday Night Lights, most notably)
Daniel Poneman, Deputy Secretary of Energy in Obama administration was Acting Secretary for brief period of time in 2013
Ron Rightnowar, retired MLB pitcher who played one season with the Milwaukee Brewers
Heath Wingate, played one season with the Washington Redskins
Greg Wojciechowski, NCAA wrestling champion, on 1980 Olympic team that boycotted Moscow games
Gene Ward, Minority Leader Emeritus, Hawaii State House of Representatives, Honolulu.
Chris Wormley, captain 2016 Michigan football team, likely NFL draft pick this year
Kevin Koger, captain 2011 Michigan football team.

If Nigel Hayes makes the NBA, Whitmer will have had alumni in the NBA, MLB, NFL and NHL. I don't know that there are many other public schools that have done that.
I reckon you won't find many in the Sun Belt.
Old 04-24-17, 10:57 PM
All Yappi

Notable Alumni of Canton Central Catholic

Tommy Henrich (graduate of Canton St. John which eventually became part of Canton CC), NY Yankees, nicknamed "Old Reliable."

Alan Page, Notre Dame, Minnesota Vikings, Chicago Bears, College All-American, NFL Defensive Player of the Year, NFL MVP, Pro Football Hall of Famer, former Minnesota State Supreme Court Justice

Roger Duffy, Penn State, NY Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers

Norm Nicola, Notre Dame, Drafted by the Buffalo Bills but played in the CFL

Bob Belden, Notre Dame, Dallas Cowboys

Mark Fischer, Notre Dame, Chicago Blitz and Orlando Renegades of the USFL

Jim Thomas, 2x HS state champion in tennis, helped Stanford win multiple NCAA team tennis titles, played doubles in all 4 Grand Slams with highest finish being a US Open semifinal apearance in the mid-2000s.

Renee Powell, The 2nd African-American woman to play on the LPGA tour. Her father William was the first African-American to build and own a golf course in the U.S.A - Clearview Golf Club in East Canton. Powell is currently the course's head pro and became one of the first women to become a member of St. Andrew's in 2015.

Bruno (Gioiello) Gunn, best known for his role as Brutus in the Hunger Games.

Dan Minocchi, notable for the fact that he broke the Stark County boys HS shot put record which was held for over 30 years by future Pro Football Hall of Famer Dan Dierdorf. His county record has stood for 18 years.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 04-25-17 at 11:43 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: