Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-19-17, 01:52 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post
CCC as an independent won't even throw their program in with ours to form a new league until there are enough to actually form a league.
The problem is that Louisville and Central are not "like enough" to serve as solid anchors for a new league in which they would both be members. I think Central could be a good 6th-7th-8th team rounding out a league if Louisville could convince some other schools to defect from their league(s) and join them. As has been discussed ad nauseum -- a Wooster, South, Dover, Philly, etc. -- type league might allow Central in as the final member. However, I just cannot imagine local ADS lining up to align themselves with D5 Central and big D3 Louisville.

If it is the right league, I know Central would be excited. If it the interscholastic athletics version of the Land of Misfit Toys, they will pass just as they have in the past with the NCL.
Old 04-20-17, 02:39 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post
I'm sure you were given the opinion based argument that it will kill our programs and we need to keep pushing for the new league. Along with we'll never win league titles. We don't have the youth structure or facilities to compete with those schools. All of which may be true.
The other side of that is....an independent schedule will have all the same downfalls because of who and where we'll have to go to find games. No league titles as an independent...Columbus Bishop Hartley, and St Vincent St Mary or Jackson and Glenoak for football? And we still have an open date as of now. Middle school schedules are going to take the biggest hit and could be the biggest unintended downfall of our programs. We can't play Massillon 10 times a year in 7th and 8th grade basketball. We'll end up down in Steubenville for 5:00 girls and boys BB games or similar distances. To assume that the current federal league and former NBC schools will bend over backwards to accommodate us as an independent is laughable, and that is the assumption that some against the fed have.
Some are of the camp that the AD just isn't trying hard enough to make other schools commit to a new league, or to fill the current independent schedule. I don't buy it. The opposition doesn't like the paper printing the schools side but I'll bet the farm they wouldn't want the paper printing the stupid ideas that have come from some of them. An alumni game was the idea from the opposing BOE member. Not even smart enough to know that's illegal under OHSAA rules. You can't do that with your varsity football team on a Friday night. Or those who like to use movie quotes.....if you build it, they will come...really? This is the crap that gets me pissed. I don't think the fed is the best solution, if we had a choice, but for crying out loud why are we wasting valuable time and effort appeasing some people who think since they donate money somehow that entitles them to waste time with stupid ideas. If there's a valid solution that has more than a 2% chance I'd love to hear it, and if it put us in a position to be with other same size schools then great. CCC as an independent won't even throw their program in with ours to form a new league until there are enough to actually form a league.

One of the board members suggested playing a game in the season against former Louisville players?
Old 04-20-17, 02:45 PM
All District

Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
^^^^ you have got to be kidding me

if true, which I have no reason to doubt - then this is a perfect demonstration why ADs should be returned with some power over athletic decisions and not just a manager of events - ADs have the responsibility of taking the disgruntled calls and firing coaches but rarely do they get to make the call to drive the district to a league or hire a coach.

would love to know if there will be a public meeting of discourse on this matter - could be worth a trip over to hear how the process of a decision on their league affiliation will be made.

in saying all this - I don't believe there is a wrong choice here, join fed or stay indy to try and rope together a league. It's becoming obvious neither decision will please all, I guess I wonder how the BOE will gauge the majority of the townfolk.
Old 04-20-17, 02:49 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
One of the board members suggested playing a game in the season against former Louisville players?
Decades ago that was not an uncommon practice. But, as I said, that was a loooooong time ago. And if it's illegal by OHSAA rules, you sure aren't going to sneak that one by anyone. (That board member must be pretty old or else is familiar with the alumni league that used to be (maybe still is for all I know) based on the old Portage County League. I remember seeing scores in the Ravenna Record-Courier when I was attending Kent State.)

It looks like Louisville should bite the bullet, apply to the Fed and at the same time keep their eyes open for the main chance (when and IF it comes along) to jump into a league of "right sized" competition.
Old 04-27-17, 11:28 AM
All District

what was the feel when Lville shopped the AAC - sounds like that league is on shaky ground - or was the travel to the east just a bit much?
Old 04-27-17, 01:56 PM
All American

Now with what is going on with the AAC and how it may implode or may not....does Louisville watch and stay independent or do they look at the time frame this may take and accept its current situation and join the Fed. Salem and West Branch actually have some power over this decision. If Salem and West Branch stay then Marlington and Alliance will probably stay...Salem and West Branch go east...where or what does Marlington and Alliance do?
Old 04-27-17, 02:12 PM
All District

I place my bet Salem and WB go nowhere with this shaking out.
Old 04-27-17, 02:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit22 View Post
I place my bet Salem and WB go nowhere with this shaking out.
I also think they stay...which means Carrollton and Minerva do too, Canton South is very happy they all stay. Then by this example Louisville is still in a position like Boardman and Fitch are. Just think if Boardman was located where Louisville is this discussion would not be happening...lol. So when does Louisville join the Fed?
Old 04-27-17, 02:27 PM
All District

who is to say the fed will even vote to open it up and have them join - especially if league members think they will just bolt in a couple years.

so all the posturing going on in that town is for naught.

How long does Canton South enjoy those drives with the closest league member to them getting the boot. Guess Marlington has to be careful winning or they could be next LOL
Old 04-27-17, 02:34 PM
All American

Canton South has to drive wherever what league they are in...this is their second best option, only league close to them for a distance would be the Fed...lol. I think once Louisville gets over the idea of the Fed, the Fed will let them in...it answers the Feds main question the Massillon issue very nicely for them. We have a great league at 8 teams! Then once Louisville sees how much money they are getting from Ticket sales and less travel then being an independent they will be happy with those justifications....now mind you I said those justifications...lol
Old 04-28-17, 07:22 AM
All Region

Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
Canton South has to drive wherever what league they are in...this is their second best option, only league close to them for a distance would be the Fed...lol. I think once Louisville gets over the idea of the Fed, the Fed will let them in...it answers the Feds main question the Massillon issue very nicely for them. We have a great league at 8 teams! Then once Louisville sees how much money they are getting from Ticket sales and less travel then being an independent they will be happy with those justifications....now mind you I said those justifications...lol
Got me Thinking. How about in 10 years time lets say we are going to have an extension of the Federal League. A combination of AAC Misfits and the FED

FED Scarlett:
-Mckinley
-Jackson
-Glenoak
-Perry
-Hoover
-Green

FED Gray:
-Lake
-Lousville
-Boardman
-Canfield
-Howland
-Fitch

5 League Games, No Cross overs, 5 Non League Games. Forces bigger schools like Mckinley to play the Eds, Mentor, Iggys, of the world. Small School division looks very competitive as well
Old 04-28-17, 08:52 AM
Freshman

FeartheNeer is on a distinguished road
I don't think there is any way that Lake would want those drives every week. Everyone in the Fed right now is 15-20m away. Trade that in for hour+ drives, it's the whole reason why Fitch and Boardman dropped in the first place right? Why would Lake want to take that?
Old 04-28-17, 09:05 AM
All District

after trying to open up and expand to the north only to get the cold shoulder which was in response to hold on to fitch and boardman, I don't see the FED opening back up any time in the future.

seems the addition of green to give lake the week 10 filler has quieted the concern of the floating bye week. hypothetically speaking, if Lville entered the fed there is a good chance they would need to find a week 10 - two immediate options 1. CCC 2. the floating bye week team in the Sub lower division - or any team with the floating week 10 game in ytown.
Old 04-28-17, 07:11 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeartheNeer View Post
I don't think there is any way that Lake would want those drives every week. Everyone in the Fed right now is 15-20m away. Trade that in for hour+ drives, it's the whole reason why Fitch and Boardman dropped in the first place right? Why would Lake want to take that?
You have the drive info correct, but with the current line of thinking about the Fed at Lake I doubt if they would agree to leaving the local schools division. Boardman would have stayed if Fitch had not decided to leave. Fitch leaving caused how the scheduled trips back and forth worked out...with just Boardman it ended up home and away like the rest of the Fed is now and Boardman didn't want to do that much back and forth...that is why they left.
Old 04-28-17, 07:23 PM
All American

Quote:
after trying to open up and expand to the north only to get the cold shoulder which was in response to hold on to fitch and boardman, I don't see the FED opening back up any time in the future.

seems the addition of green to give lake the week 10 filler has quieted the concern of the floating bye week. hypothetically speaking, if Lville entered the fed there is a good chance they would need to find a week 10 - two immediate options 1. CCC 2. the floating bye week team in the Sub lower division - or any team with the floating week 10 game in ytown.
With McKinley having Massillon week 10 and Lake at one time not having a week 10 league rival...it made for Lake finding a week 10 game...which is difficult. To help with this set up they rotated the floating week. Lake was to play Boardman in week 10, with Boardman leaving Green slid into the week 10 spot. Lake now has the floating as game 4 and will have it at least for 3 more years. If Louisville would join the league the Fed would have to address this issue about week 10. One way they could do this is make every school except McKinley find an out of conference game week 10 and start the league schedule week three....which would be very difficult.
Old 04-29-17, 07:39 AM
All District

or just have the newbie find a week 10 and leave the other three games as is

dont over think it - too many others are already doing just that
Old 04-29-17, 09:25 AM
All American

Quote:
or just have the newbie find a week 10 and leave the other three games as is

dont over think it - too many others are already doing just that
lol....am not over thinking....it is just difficult to find a week 10 game. First Lake tried to set up a week 10 game with Alliance that lasted 2 years and they left the Fed. Lake played Dresden Tri-Valley for 2 years and they were done, did an audition game with Zanesville trying to get a second game and possible home and home on week 10...they were done with one...played Columbus Watterson..who won the D 3 title that year, the next year played Mooney who won the D 3 title that year....other notable teams were Timken and Rayen...who are gone..lol...and Cleveland East Tech for one game. The Catholic high schools are or were always available. Moeller being the most persistent.
Old 04-29-17, 12:43 PM
All District

I am with you Blue

that is my suggestion of CCC who seems will never get in a league will have that week 10 open and it could be a wrap or Jackson likes playing CCC - could move them but they like the week 10 vs hoover, Perry has the long time tradition of playing ccc could move them to week 10 and that bye could be there. Certainly a easy solution could be reached

I did mention the suburban small, they have 7 so the floating bye week exists there, maybe an old rivalry could be struck up with green week 10 and you could have a week 10 lake louisville game which would be the second biggest game in the county (and I believe it would gain major ground on the the "biggest")
Old 04-29-17, 01:19 PM
All American

Quote:
I am with you Blue

that is my suggestion of CCC who seems will never get in a league will have that week 10 open and it could be a wrap or Jackson likes playing CCC - could move them but they like the week 10 vs hoover, Perry has the long time tradition of playing ccc could move them to week 10 and that bye could be there. Certainly a easy solution could be reached

I did mention the suburban small, they have 7 so the floating bye week exists there, maybe an old rivalry could be struck up with green week 10 and you could have a week 10 lake louisville game which would be the second biggest game in the county (and I believe it would gain major ground on the the "biggest")
Would be a big game...we have Louisville week 4 in 2018. Green vs Lake has a better chance of being bigger game I think. Green is growing, right beside each other, and have played each other every year since 2008. Green and Lake have played 20 games against each other where as Louisville and Lake have played 11 times, with 4 of those games in the playoffs. Louisville and Lake do have the potential to be huge thou.
Old 04-29-17, 01:34 PM
All District

I am making this guestimation of the Lake Louisville game being second to only one game in the area based on the past couple contests between the two that I attended.

They were insanely competitive, tight, well played games, that were packed to the limit - both bands blared, both sides of stands crammed in

I do not dismiss Green as they have traveled impressively well and are a welcomed member of the Federal League.

For me it is just this Lake Louisville game has been electric when played
Old 04-29-17, 03:34 PM
All American

Quote:
I am making this guestimation of the Lake Louisville game being second to only one game in the area based on the past couple contests between the two that I attended.

They were insanely competitive, tight, well played games, that were packed to the limit - both bands blared, both sides of stands crammed in

I do not dismiss Green as they have traveled impressively well and are a welcomed member of the Federal League.

For me it is just this Lake Louisville game has been electric when played
What is interesting about the games against Louisville...Lake is 3 and 2 playing at Louisville. 1 and 1 playing at Lake ( should be 2 and 0...but the 1989 game Louisville had 6 seconds left Louisville had the ball...a tipped pass went for a TD the extra point was short...won it in the second OT with a tipped pass just like the first one..lol) Lake is 4 and O against Louisville at neutral sites...with 3 of them in other Fed teams stadiums...have played more games against Louisville in Stark County stadiums then at Lake...lol
Old 05-01-17, 08:08 AM
All Region

Mr. General is on a distinguished road
This may be better and more realistic, not that any of this probably is though....

FED Scarlett:
-Mckinley
-Jackson
-Glenoak
-Perry
-Hoover
-Green

FED Gray:
-Lake
-Lousville
-CCC
-Dover
-New Philly
-Wooster
Old 05-01-17, 08:42 AM
All District

that is a solid thought Mr. General

the mindset I am hearing out of Louisville would respond to your suggestion like this:

"why don't we get those teams and just make our own league, if you build it they will come"
Old 05-01-17, 10:32 AM
Freshman

FeartheNeer is on a distinguished road
Starting with a foundation and system in place would probably be easier than building your own organization from scratch though. Not sure you get some of those schools with a promise on the wind. A league in place with a plan, might be a different story. Still doubt like that would ever happen, but it is a really interesting idea. Also federal league is red white and blue I think, probably wouldn't go scarlet and gray.
Old 05-02-17, 12:01 PM
All Ohio

Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
Still treading water over here and watching the calendar change months. The AAC stuff has no weight on our decision for the simple fact that I believe Canfield would be the closest team we would play and the farthest would be in the 100 mile range. I've talked to a few folks that don't really seem to grasp how this works and are hard core on their beliefs. This is not a school board decision, it's a superintendent decision. This isn't just about football, it's about all sports at all levels. Nobody is leaving the fed, and nobody from the former NBC is going to put us on their schedule even at the middle school level. But god bless...I still get 2 or 3 a week that say "all we need to do is get Marlington, Alliance, Lake and Green and Philly and Dover"....it's not gonna happen not even a 1% chance. Ask some of these folks about filling 14/22 spots on the girls and boys BB schedule or baseball/softball and you get a blank look out of them. Tell them that at the middle school level some schools field more than one team in the fed e.g.: Jackson gold and purple and that's why the fed won't put us on their middle school schedule now and we only have 3 games scheduled as an independent so far...again blank look. No solutions.
Old 05-02-17, 01:03 PM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Been watching this
Been listening and talking to people as I now live in Louisville

Lynus is right! Marlington and Alliance have picked their league, and it is not with Louisville!!!

Lake is not leaving the Federal League under no circumstance, therefore Green is going nowhere as they like the games with neighbors Jackson, North Canton, and especially LAKE!! NO CHANCE and I am to a point where I want to bet them money - what an easy win!!

Lynus brings up another point about being independent - Middle school scheduling - other schools are not going to be quick to help fill those schedules.

I am wondering when it will become apparent to the independent group that no matter what, these leagues are set and there just isn't any schools in this area looking to leave their league to join a handful of schools that don't have a full slate of schools to make a league - hence the non committal stance by Dover and New Philadelphia. Its funny how in the other thread about the AAC people keep throwing out Salem and West Branch who along with Alliance and Marlington voted and moved right along with the other 3 schools to step away from Louisville - it is almost a definition of madness thinking that any of these schools are going to change things up and join an unstable group or an incomplete group of schools. Last I checked South Range was added and those schools have been really quiet. TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST many of us oldies in the county seen this happening couple years ago.
Old 05-02-17, 01:09 PM
All Ohio

Ville-ified is on a distinguished road
I know the talk lately has been mostly either Fed or Independent, but is a move to the small Suburban off the table? It seems to me to be the best compromise. Less travel than being Independent and also not in a league with teams 2 to 3 times our size.
Old 05-02-17, 01:17 PM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Total School Base + CP Adjustment = Total
507 Barberton 499 + 8 = 507 (Division II)
420 Highland 420 + 0 = 420 (Division II)
415 Copley 415 + 0 = 415 (Division II)
415 Kent Roosevelt 407 + 8 = 415 (Division II)
364 Aurora 361 + 3 = 364 (Division III)
331 Revere 329 + 2 = 331 (Division III)
300 Tallmadge 299 + 1 = 300 (Division III)

this is from the other thread....which school do you think votes for Louisville? 337 boys before the competitive balance was added.

and IF and it is a big IF, IF they were voted in - how long does it take for the uproar from the taxpayers about the travel. I am not saying this is a bad option - what I am saying is Louisville to Revere is a hike especially on a weeknight!!

seems to be coming down to - do you want to drive....or do you want to play schools bigger than yourself

then Louisville actually has to be voted in and I think this is a point people are overlooking - I don't know if it will be that easy to get voted into either league
Old 05-02-17, 02:28 PM
All Ohio

Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
I'm not 100% positive but, after the implosion of the NBC, in the early stages of our search, the suburban did not want us. I actually think we were turned down without even applying.
Old 05-02-17, 04:29 PM
All Ohio

Ville-ified is on a distinguished road
this is from the other thread....which school do you think votes for Louisville? 337 boys before the competitive balance was added.

What schools would vote for us based strictly on enrollment numbers? All of them I guess since we would be the third smallest. Since it sounds like the league has already told us no, then I guess the majority of them are ok with a 7 team league. Whether that's based solely on not wanting to add a school so far away, I don't know.

Last edited by Ville-ified; 05-02-17 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Spelling