Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-19-17, 01:52 PM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post
CCC as an independent won't even throw their program in with ours to form a new league until there are enough to actually form a league.
The problem is that Louisville and Central are not "like enough" to serve as solid anchors for a new league in which they would both be members. I think Central could be a good 6th-7th-8th team rounding out a league if Louisville could convince some other schools to defect from their league(s) and join them. As has been discussed ad nauseum -- a Wooster, South, Dover, Philly, etc. -- type league might allow Central in as the final member. However, I just cannot imagine local ADS lining up to align themselves with D5 Central and big D3 Louisville.

If it is the right league, I know Central would be excited. If it the interscholastic athletics version of the Land of Misfit Toys, they will pass just as they have in the past with the NCL.
Old 04-20-17, 02:39 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post
I'm sure you were given the opinion based argument that it will kill our programs and we need to keep pushing for the new league. Along with we'll never win league titles. We don't have the youth structure or facilities to compete with those schools. All of which may be true.
The other side of that is....an independent schedule will have all the same downfalls because of who and where we'll have to go to find games. No league titles as an independent...Columbus Bishop Hartley, and St Vincent St Mary or Jackson and Glenoak for football? And we still have an open date as of now. Middle school schedules are going to take the biggest hit and could be the biggest unintended downfall of our programs. We can't play Massillon 10 times a year in 7th and 8th grade basketball. We'll end up down in Steubenville for 5:00 girls and boys BB games or similar distances. To assume that the current federal league and former NBC schools will bend over backwards to accommodate us as an independent is laughable, and that is the assumption that some against the fed have.
Some are of the camp that the AD just isn't trying hard enough to make other schools commit to a new league, or to fill the current independent schedule. I don't buy it. The opposition doesn't like the paper printing the schools side but I'll bet the farm they wouldn't want the paper printing the stupid ideas that have come from some of them. An alumni game was the idea from the opposing BOE member. Not even smart enough to know that's illegal under OHSAA rules. You can't do that with your varsity football team on a Friday night. Or those who like to use movie quotes.....if you build it, they will come...really? This is the crap that gets me pissed. I don't think the fed is the best solution, if we had a choice, but for crying out loud why are we wasting valuable time and effort appeasing some people who think since they donate money somehow that entitles them to waste time with stupid ideas. If there's a valid solution that has more than a 2% chance I'd love to hear it, and if it put us in a position to be with other same size schools then great. CCC as an independent won't even throw their program in with ours to form a new league until there are enough to actually form a league.

One of the board members suggested playing a game in the season against former Louisville players?
Old 04-20-17, 02:45 PM
All District

Bandit22 is on a distinguished road
^^^^ you have got to be kidding me

if true, which I have no reason to doubt - then this is a perfect demonstration why ADs should be returned with some power over athletic decisions and not just a manager of events - ADs have the responsibility of taking the disgruntled calls and firing coaches but rarely do they get to make the call to drive the district to a league or hire a coach.

would love to know if there will be a public meeting of discourse on this matter - could be worth a trip over to hear how the process of a decision on their league affiliation will be made.

in saying all this - I don't believe there is a wrong choice here, join fed or stay indy to try and rope together a league. It's becoming obvious neither decision will please all, I guess I wonder how the BOE will gauge the majority of the townfolk.
Old 04-20-17, 02:49 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
One of the board members suggested playing a game in the season against former Louisville players?
Decades ago that was not an uncommon practice. But, as I said, that was a loooooong time ago. And if it's illegal by OHSAA rules, you sure aren't going to sneak that one by anyone. (That board member must be pretty old or else is familiar with the alumni league that used to be (maybe still is for all I know) based on the old Portage County League. I remember seeing scores in the Ravenna Record-Courier when I was attending Kent State.)

It looks like Louisville should bite the bullet, apply to the Fed and at the same time keep their eyes open for the main chance (when and IF it comes along) to jump into a league of "right sized" competition.