Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-20-17, 07:23 AM
All Region

mrroosevelt is on a distinguished road
I think the Boise State Administration is about to find out what the I.O.C. and the Cleveland State Administration now knows. That is the fact that the wrestling community is one of the most tight-knit and determined groups of people you will ever find and that when this group feels threatened there are virtually no limits to the lengths it will go to in order to fight for what is right. Boise State Admin.......GET READY FOR A FIGHT!
Old 04-20-17, 07:55 AM
All American

BHiatt is on a distinguished road
These programs being dropped or threatened to do so should put all college coaches on notice -- they need to work really really hard at raising money so their programs become more and more independent of school money to survive. Get scholarships endowed. The more endowed scolly's the less $ required come from school. Money (and AD's pet sports) are king. Head coaches need to take a proactive CFO approach or they too could be next on chopping block.

High school programs can start doing so as well -- fundraising to get their program (travel, entry fees, equipment, etc.) endowed so they cost the school as little as possible.
Old 04-20-17, 08:29 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHiatt View Post
These programs being dropped or threatened to do so should put all college coaches on notice -- they need to work really really hard at raising money so their programs become more and more independent of school money to survive. Get scholarships endowed. The more endowed scolly's the less $ required come from school. Money (and AD's pet sports) are king. Head coaches need to take a proactive CFO approach or they too could be next on chopping block.

High school programs can start doing so as well -- fundraising to get their program (travel, entry fees, equipment, etc.) endowed so they cost the school as little as possible.
You should coach in the college ranks. I think you'd do really well.
Old 04-20-17, 09:05 AM
Varsity

BraveBuck1 is on a distinguished road
Closer to home....why is there not a bigger push locally to get programs restarted in Ohio? Akron, Cincinnati, Dayton, and Toledo all have Club wrestling so what kind of push locally can be made to make these D1 programs and raise the money necessary to fully fund them. YSU is in the cradle of some historic great wrestling traditions yet there is no wrestling there at all? While I know big deep pocket money providers are needed, maybe this could be a bigger mission of the USA Ohio mandate? Add $10 to the membership fee to promote wrestling programs at the College, High School level? Just thinking out loud but sadly there is a lack of leadership in turning around this trend at the national level.
Old 04-20-17, 09:28 AM
Varsity

tantal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachYing View Post
Not so fast my friend the President at Boise State has decided to look deeper into this. He put it on hold for now.
I hadn't seen that. I hope they reconsider and give them a chance to save the program.
Old 04-20-17, 09:50 AM
All Region

knightflyer150 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBuck1 View Post
Closer to home....why is there not a bigger push locally to get programs restarted in Ohio? Akron, Cincinnati, Dayton, and Toledo all have Club wrestling so what kind of push locally can be made to make these D1 programs and raise the money necessary to fully fund them. YSU is in the cradle of some historic great wrestling traditions yet there is no wrestling there at all? While I know big deep pocket money providers are needed, maybe this could be a bigger mission of the USA Ohio mandate? Add $10 to the membership fee to promote wrestling programs at the College, High School level? Just thinking out loud but sadly there is a lack of leadership in turning around this trend at the national level.
The Dayton alumni are starting to coalesce and be more involved socially. We were heavily under-funded but Division I, so it was challenging to put a good team on the mat. Then, that was a factor when cutting the team (along with Title IX). In our starting lineup the last year we had 2 state placers, 3 SQs and the rest did not qualify for state. I believe the team maxed out our abilities (we had two great coaches in Valley View's Bill Miller and Mark Ott), but, in the end, you can't do the X's and O's without the Jimmys and the Joes.

Years ago, I asked the AD for a magic number: how much to endow the team and add a balancing women's sport (preferably womens wrestling). We spoke a few times but never got an answer. They have to want to do it, first and foremost.
Old 04-20-17, 10:22 AM
All Region

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBuck1 View Post
I would hope USA Ohio would already be working at some level on this but may need a more focused effort and funding.

While women's wrestling is still emerging what would be the impact if Ohio State and the Big Ten initiated a process to bring women's wrestling to the varsity level. That would put the Title IX issue to rest and I would think boost the sport nationally for both men and women.
Old 04-20-17, 10:32 AM
All Ohio

Cramer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepride1990 View Post
I would hope USA Ohio would already be working at some level on this but may need a more focused effort and funding.

While women's wrestling is still emerging what would be the impact if Ohio State and the Big Ten initiated a process to bring women's wrestling to the varsity level. That would put the Title IX issue to rest and I would think boost the sport nationally for both men and women.
I like where you're going but I bet the line of thinking of the admin would be that like FILA and Olympics in that in order to create varsity women's, the men's have to sacrifice "x" number of scholarships to do so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-17, 11:20 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes r burning View Post
You should coach in the college ranks. I think you'd do really well.
Appreciate the kind words. Decided not to when had opportunity. To much time away from home -- that and I love coaching/mentoring high school age athletes.
Old 04-20-17, 11:23 AM
All American

Vough always has the option of staying at BSU for 5 years while keeping his scolly.
Old 04-21-17, 01:12 PM
Varsity

NEohiowrestler is on a distinguished road
There's always the NCWA