Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-19-17, 01:44 PM
Varsity

orangechik00 is on a distinguished road
Question Conference scoring with two divisions

Our conference now has two divisions and I'm curious as to how conferences with two divisions score their meets. Ours is set up that if a sprinter/field event athlete doesn't make the final he/she can still score points in his/her division. Seems like an easier way to do things.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-17, 01:45 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
we basically run 2 meets at the same time
Old 04-19-17, 05:01 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangechik00 View Post
Our conference now has two divisions and I'm curious as to how conferences with two divisions score their meets. Ours is set up that if a sprinter/field event athlete doesn't make the final he/she can still score points in his/her division. Seems like an easier way to do things.
Our county meet works that way. We have roughly 9 DI schools and 11 schools that are in either DII or DIII. There is an overall scoring, and then there is also a separate scoring of just the DII-DIII teams (most of whom can never dream of competing for the overall team title - if no DII-DIII scoring, then no reason for them to come), so Hy-Tek has to dig into the prelim results to score out 8 places in the DII-DIII competition.
Old 04-19-17, 06:48 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
PTC runs two separate meets alternating events.
Old 04-19-17, 09:44 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
I think though, Psychodad, at the ptc invitational they do run one 3200 as the first event and the other divisions as normal. So we dont have 4 3200 races back to back. Because that could be a drag.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-17, 07:21 AM
Junior Varsity

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
I really like the way the PTC does their meet. Although it takes time to do it right, it is really athlete friendly. IMO it is good because the meet is spread over two days so it prepares kids, coaches and fans for Districts/Regional etc.
Also, it may help prevent (smaller) teams from overextending their resources (athletes). Thirdly, the meet has potential to raise revenue which seems to legitamize the sport to the "non track" world - two days of gate, t-shirts, concessions, programs to the PTC.
AND the I like how you can apprieciate the athletes in the other division, rather they be "bigger" or "smaller".
Now if they would contest the pole vault it may be perfect.
Old 04-20-17, 07:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENA2 View Post
I really like the way the PTC does their meet. Although it takes time to do it right, it is really athlete friendly. IMO it is good because the meet is spread over two days so it prepares kids, coaches and fans for Districts/Regional etc.
Also, it may help prevent (smaller) teams from overextending their resources (athletes). Thirdly, the meet has potential to raise revenue which seems to legitamize the sport to the "non track" world - two days of gate, t-shirts, concessions, programs to the PTC.
AND the I like how you can apprieciate the athletes in the other division, rather they be "bigger" or "smaller".
IIRC, the North Coast League Meet used to be operated that way - a 2-day meet in which the 1st day would be prelims, 4x8, half the field events, and then the Blue Division (bigger schools) would run the 1600 while the White Division (smaller schools) would run the 3200. The 2nd day would be finals and whichever longer distance race each division had yet to contest. That format is definitely favorable for long distance runners who are attempting to set school, league, or county records. They can go for broke in the 1600 without worrying about having nothing left for the 3200 a few hours later. The NCL now operates it and scores it as 1 big meet, but it is still held over a 2-day period.
Old 04-20-17, 08:30 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENA2 View Post
Nah, I dont see them contesting the pole vault, as I think the only teamin the league that has pole vaulters is Woodridge.

Old 04-20-17, 09:01 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Nah, I dont see them contesting the pole vault, as I think the only teamin the league that has pole vaulters is Woodridge.

Cloverleaf.

Crestwood, Southeast and Rootstown had outstanding Vaulters in the 80's and 90's. State champions and high state placers.
Old 04-20-17, 09:24 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Cloverleaf.

Crestwood, Southeast and Rootstown had outstanding Vaulters in the 80's and 90's. State champions and high state placers.
There does exist a school record of 12-8 in pole vault from 1993. That I believe is the only coventry pole vaulter on record.

Old 04-26-17, 11:49 AM
Varsity

jktrack is on a distinguished road
Just to clarify on the North Coast League Meet, we have changed back to 2 divisions. The only difference is that we are running both divisions in the distances races (4x800, 1600 and 3200) in one race and then separating the results into the two divisions (therefore avoiding 4 sections of the 3200). This is the first time we are attempting this, so we will see what happens.
Old 04-26-17, 08:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrack View Post
Just to clarify on the North Coast League Meet, we have changed back to 2 divisions. The only difference is that we are running both divisions in the distances races (4x800, 1600 and 3200) in one race and then separating the results into the two divisions (therefore avoiding 4 sections of the 3200). This is the first time we are attempting this, so we will see what happens.
I would think that change should go over well with everyone. The kids get more competition to race against in those long distance events (how Athena Welsh ever ran a 10:38 3200 by herself is beyond me), and the meet won't take as long which makes EVERYBODY happy; especially with AP testing starting next week.