Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-19-17, 05:59 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Bit of snore for a trailer. That Thor one wasn't though.
While I don't agree that it was a snore, keep in mind that Thor has to do more of a sell job.

Star Wars could release no footage at all and make $170M opening weekend on name recognition alone. That's the brand they've built. They market to grab that extra $80M.
Old 04-19-17, 06:16 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
While I don't agree that it was a snore, keep in mind that Thor has to do more of a sell job.

Star Wars could release no footage at all and make $170M opening weekend on name recognition alone. That's the brand they've built. They market to grab that extra $80M.
I wouldn't underestimate the brand of the Marvel biggies. Thor could do the same. Heck, a bad Beauty and the Beast just made a Billion.

I think these days, the purpose of a trailor is internet buzz, to get people talking. I would even imagine they have hired people to direct those talks a particular way. Just like the old days when studios owned the tabloid writers.

Nothing in the Star Wars trailor really made ME want to talk about it. Heck, it's barely been talked about on this thread. The scenes weren't inviting. The action wasn't inviting. Nothing new was hinted, though I understand thet're trying for a middle ground between "light and dark." I don't personally see the interest but we'll see.

Perhaps you're right and they realize they can mail it in as far as trailors. Or perhaps they're pacing it, and the next one will ramp it up. We'll see.

Such is marketing in these days.
Old 04-19-17, 06:37 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
I wouldn't underestimate the brand of the Marvel biggies. Thor could do the same. Heck, a bad Beauty and the Beast just made a Billion.

I think these days, the purpose of a trailor is internet buzz, to get people talking. I would even imagine they have hired people to direct those talks a particular way. Just like the old days when studios owned the tabloid writers.

Nothing in the Star Wars trailor really made ME want to talk about it. Heck, it's barely been talked about on this thread. The scenes weren't inviting. The action wasn't inviting. Nothing new was hinted, though I understand thet're trying for a middle ground between "light and dark." I don't personally see the interest but we'll see.

Perhaps you're right and they realize they can mail it in as far as trailors. Or perhaps they're pacing it, and the next one will ramp it up. We'll see.

I imagine pacing. This was a teaser afterall. The movie is still 7 months out and its a movie they certainly want to keep as much secret as possible.

While Star Wars could get away with showing nothing, I don't think even they have the stones to try it.

The only movie I know of that comes close, and I don't know that it was intentional, was John Wick. There was no marketing until a month out.
Old 04-23-17, 09:16 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:

I don't discount Marvel. I still say the Marvel Cinematice Universe is arguably one of the greatest achievements you've ever seen in Hollywood. A shared universe that (thus far) spans 14 released films, and SIX different TV series. It'll be 17 films and 7 shows by the end of the year.

All that, said, Thor and Star Wars aren't even on the same playing field when it comes to brand recognition. Star Wars is playing in it's own sandbox there.
Old 04-23-17, 02:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't discount Marvel. I still say the Marvel Cinematice Universe is arguably one of the greatest achievements you've ever seen in Hollywood. A shared universe that (thus far) spans 14 released films, and SIX different TV series. It'll be 17 films and 7 shows by the end of the year.

All that, said, Thor and Star Wars aren't even on the same playing field when it comes to brand recognition. Star Wars is playing in it's own sandbox there.
Quote:
Adjusted for inflation
1 Avatar $2,787,965,087
2 Titanic $2,186,772,302
3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens $2,068,223,624
4 Jurassic World $1,670,400,637
5 The Avengers $1,518,812,988
7 Avengers: Age of Ultron
10 Iron Man 3 $1,214,811,252
12 Captain America: Civil War $1,153,304,495

Rogue One was the next movie in the SW property, at #21.
Franchise Value: If you were investing, Marvel Cinematic would be your riser, SW is in diminishing returns territory.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchises/
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...nap-story.html

Action Figures: some lists I found had Spider Man and Deadpool over Vader and Boba Fett. Others had the SW figures ahead. GI Joe being the big winner.

40-65 year olds aren't driving the sand box. Young people are and they're watching and buying Marvel. Disney was wise to make the lead female, it's the only thing giving them access to the park. American comic books, like Jazz are one of our unique exports that have been even in little African, S. American and Asian towns and cities since the 60s and a whole lot more accessible and economical than movies. I'd think Marvel's brand recognition is every bit Star Wars'.
Old 04-23-17, 04:43 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Franchise Value: If you were investing, Marvel Cinematic would be your riser, SW is in diminishing returns territory.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchises/
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...nap-story.html

Action Figures: some lists I found had Spider Man and Deadpool over Vader and Boba Fett. Others had the SW figures ahead. GI Joe being the big winner.

40-65 year olds aren't driving the sand box. Young people are and they're watching and buying Marvel. Disney was wise to make the lead female, it's the only thing giving them access to the park. American comic books, like Jazz are one of our unique exports that have been even in little African, S. American and Asian towns and cities since the 60s and a whole lot more accessible and economical than movies. I'd think Marvel's brand recognition is every bit Star Wars'.

that's all well and good. but if you go poll 1000 people on the street and ask them how many of them have heard of Star Wars and can reference anything from it, and then you ask those same 1000 people about Thor, Star Wars wins hands down.
Old 04-23-17, 07:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
that's all well and good. but if you go poll 1000 people on the street and ask them how many of them have heard of Star Wars and can reference anything from it, and then you ask those same 1000 people about Thor, Star Wars wins hands down.
I have a bad feeling about this. I'll leave it to you. Keep us informed okay?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: