Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-06-17, 10:31 AM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Track Week 3/4 Hub: Meet Previews, Predictions, Results.

What big meets does everyone have coming up this weekend/next week?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-17, 10:36 AM
All Ohio

Tomorrow my comets will be at Lakeview Relays. Normally a fun venue, but tomorrows weather will make it much more miserable for many.

Next Tuesday, we have a dual meet vs Woodridge. We probably wont be ready to face the bulldogs, we just got hit with another big injury- Senior Dillain Raines, our second best jumper, will be out for 4-6 weeks on a hamstring injury, in addition to Sibley, a very athletic sprinter, who will be in a neck brace the next couple of weeks while recovering from a car accident. Fortunately we have a sophomore first timer high jumper who is showing some promise, and he is willing to step up. These injuries are piling up, and all the new additions to our roster will be hard pressed to be ready to step up in time. Next Tuesday could get ugly real quickly.
Old 04-07-17, 03:54 PM
All Ohio

Lakeview relays are cancelled. probably for the better that were not racing out there. We probably dont need the morale hit...

I also am thinking that in the long term, these injuries to our best atheletes are going to help us long term, as it forces us to spend more time and effort in developing our younger atheletes, which will prove beneficial in coming seasons. But for now, things are rougher than any of us were expecting. Next tuesday is gonna be brutal.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-17, 04:36 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Saturday is the Beachwood Invitational. Some of the top teams on the girl's side are Solon, Shaker Heights, Beachwood, Buchtel, Gilmour and Beaumont. One race of interest will be the girl's 3200 meter run. With the following athletes entered,
Solon's Olivia Howell indoor 1600 champ,
Leah Roter D2 CC champ,
Shakers Sophie Carrie indoor 10:51, Mimi Reimer indoor and outdoor 1600 state qualifier,
Gilmour's Katie Engle 3rd place D3 CC placer indoor and outdoor 16/8 placer,
Ashley Rulison CC D2 fourth placer indoor 1600/3200 placer.

Some of the boys teams will be Warrenville Heights, Glenville, Cleveland Heights, Buchtel, Wickliffe and Shaker...

Last edited by cvctrackfan; 04-07-17 at 04:58 PM..
Old 04-07-17, 06:43 PM
All Ohio

Did beachwood or gates mills get much snow accumulation? Pretty much nothing down here.

Old 04-07-17, 08:36 PM
All American

A few inches, the meet manager might delay the start for an hour and a half
Old 04-07-17, 10:39 PM
All Ohio

At least the weather should be alright tomorrow. Go get em lancers!.

Old 04-08-17, 10:58 AM
All American

The Beachwood meet was canceled
Old 04-08-17, 11:42 AM
All Ohio

Thats too bad, the weather is gorgeous today.

Old 04-14-17, 10:37 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Woodridge beat Coventry for those who want to know. So, Woodridge is in the Drivers Seat for the league championship. Pretty impressive number of state level athletes on the track from Streetsboro, Coventry and Woodridge. Coventry was missing a few athletes that would have helped their cause, but Woodridge was missing it's top two distance runners as well. Outcome would have been the same with both teams at full strength.
Old 04-14-17, 03:46 PM
All Ohio

I dont think our missing athletes would have changed the outcome either. But it would not have been a 52 point margin. Woodridge missing a couple of distance guys shouldnt hurt them that much, last I checked, woodridges cross country team put their 5 before our 1. I think a full strength Coventry holds Woodridge to under 75.

By the way Psychodad, how did you like the number of athletes Coventry brought onto the track this year. Pretty impressive eh? Just for comparison sake, how many boys does Woodridge have on its roster this season?

Old 04-14-17, 04:03 PM
All Ohio

That said, I should dearly hope to see coventry be much stronger and better prepared like they were last year in facing Wpodridge and Streetsboro. I would like to have it be said that if there is a must go to dual/trimeet for high school track enthusiasts in the Akron area, then let it be this one.

Old 04-14-17, 05:24 PM
All World

Boys have 50-54, Girls 40-44.
Old 04-14-17, 10:15 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Boys have 50-54, Girls 40-44.
Ah so our numbers are similar then. If we can.just sustain this kind of turn out every year, we should have all the talent we need to sustain the level of success that Woodridge enjoys on a persistant basis. That all is assuming of course that Savage is as great a coach as Howard. Im not sure he is for the girls, but as for the boys, wait and see. I think a few more years are needed before we can begin to compare coaching regarding our current leadership. But it is no coincidence that 8/11 coventry state qualifiers in the past 40 years.(I only say 40 because thats how far back our reliable records go to) occured under the 5 years Savage coached. I shall continue to have faith in the Savage, and I will caution you to not underestimate what Savages minions can accomplish in coming seasons. They dont call him savage for nothing.

Old 04-15-17, 04:52 AM
All World

Those are very high numbers for us. I believe we are usually in the 30's for both teams. Numbers are great. Having numbers solves a lot of problems, but leadership and a love for each other seems to be the biggest thing you need. It's hard for coaches to provide the leadership. It has to come from the kids and they have to really like each other. There are years we have that and years we don't. The past decade has been great because the distance squad has been so solid. We have had distance kids fill holes in all other areas of the team and have even been Regional qualifiers. They overcome a lack of talent with hard work and that oozes it's way into other parts of the team. You have sprinters which we are very hit and miss with us. It's easy to build around sprinters with how the events are set up, but we seem too have solid distance, hurdlers and relays. Even when our sprinters are not all that good, we cobble together solid relay teams. Again, for us, it's more a hard work thing. Our hurdlers will work and work on technique and our sub par sprinters will work exchanges until they are expert at them.

Our girls and boys are equally important. That is the one thing that is disappointing with your program right now. It's very imbalanced. Your middles school looks to have a ton of talent on both sides girls and boys. Your HS boys should not be 10 times better than your girls like they have been.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-17, 07:31 AM
All Ohio

Numbers are great, but managing numbers becomes a headache, especially when you are used to much smaller teams. It is debateable onwhich is better. A smaller but focused and highly dedicated, or a bigger but not so much focus and dedication.

As for loveof each other, we posess that easily, all the atheletes across all sports are very close, and our turnout is basically amongst athletic kids. Last summer, we had a kid who just graduated who played soccer. But he died, drowned right here on east reservoir. The response from so many was heartening. So many kids from so many different sports, were entirely devastated. It really struck me how close our different athletes had become, regardless of whether the played football or xc. I seen that reflected on the track team. There is no rivalry between distance and sprints. There is no ridiculing the throwers because it doesnt seem like what they do is as hard as what the runners do. (I know people from st vs track, and they do do that over there). Instead, there is a drive to pitch in as many points as possible, even in our weak events. Last year, we had a couple of distance kids that while they were not state calibre, They started being worth quite a few points at every meet, and they gave our distance some respectability. You remember tucker pearce and Nick Jones? I think they gave woodridge some fits. They werent good on their own but, rather, contributed enough points in addition to what the sprinters and jumpers did to put the team over the top. And that was possible because of the camaraderie, that encourages everyone, not just the studs. Thats where you get depth.

We just need to figure out how we are gonna get those girls of ours to close the gap. Closing the gap is entirely on them though. The boys should not give up an inch of ground to help close the gap between the girls. But who knows, maybe change is on the horizen for them too. Ourgirls numbers are up now too, but that is mostly just girls following/supporting/comforting boyfriends. Still...the roster is growing...

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 04-15-17 at 07:44 AM..
Old 04-15-17, 09:33 AM
All Ohio

Anyways, congrats to Woodridge as they look poised to sieze another league crown. Woodridge has been very dominant in their boys sports, having won league titles in Wrestling, Basketball, Bowling, Soccer, Football, Cross Country, as wellas Golf. Woodridge has really come to dominate the league. However, fun fact, Coventry was the only team inthe league to successfully land a blow on Woodridge inany of the aforementioned sports this season. Coventry split Woodridge in basketball, Bowling and Golf, and tied Woodridge in Soccer. But because we lost elsewhere,we could not share in the league crowns for any of those sports. Still, congrats to Woodridge, on their very successful year.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 04-16-17 at 12:06 AM..
Old 04-16-17, 11:30 PM
All Region

peebles is on a distinguished road
Coventry: If the Comets are going to be in Salem for the district this year, thought you would like to know that the Salem boys and girls won the Bulldog Relays at East Palestine on Saturday. Competition was from smaller schools, the strongest of which was McDonald. This week they will be at the same track for the EP Invitational which should feature some larger schools. Ravenna was there last year. Salem boys won there last year. Jumping ahead, Salem will be at the Cogan Invitational in Carrollton next Saturday the 29th. Very strong competition from St Clairsville, Carrollton and state track power Aquinas last year; they combined for several strong meet records. This will be Salem's first trip to this meet; hopefully Aquinas will be there. They would be a stern test for any team! Hope your guys all get healthy for the districts and beyond; they should be contenders in several events.

Last edited by peebles; 04-16-17 at 11:47 PM..
Old 04-17-17, 07:50 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebles View Post
Coventry: If the Comets are going to be in Salem for the district this year, thought you would like to know that the Salem boys and girls won the Bulldog Relays at East Palestine on Saturday. Competition was from smaller schools, the strongest of which was McDonald. This week they will be at the same track for the EP Invitational which should feature some larger schools. Ravenna was there last year. Salem boys won there last year. Jumping ahead, Salem will be at the Cogan Invitational in Carrollton next Saturday the 29th. Very strong competition from St Clairsville, Carrollton and state track power Aquinas last year; they combined for several strong meet records. This will be Salem's first trip to this meet; hopefully Aquinas will be there. They would be a stern test for any team! Hope your guys all get healthy for the districts and beyond; they should be contenders in several events.
It looks like there will be a large turnout at Carrollton on April 28 (it's a Friday night meet). Teams from last year:
Carrollton
Canton CC
East Canton
Malvern
Sandy Valley
St. Clairsville
St. Thomas Aquinas
Tuscarawas CC

New teams:
Canton South
(Richmond) Edison
Fairless
Indian Creek
Lisbon
Salem

It looks like there will be wheelchair events, no pole vault, and triple jump (unscored). It was a competitive 8-team meet last year and should be even more competitive this year with 6 more teams slated to attend.

Carrollton has a very nice facility with 1 drawback that can be fixed whenever it's time to repaint the track: the finish line is on the opposite side from the home stands. When the timing trailer is parked at the finish line, the finish line is difficult to see from the home stands. Otherwise, the view from the home stands is great.
Old 04-17-17, 08:41 AM
All Ohio

Coventry will be at East Palestine this Friday. Looks like another big challenge. We really have been amping up our schedule over the past couple years.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 04-17-17 at 09:20 AM..
Old 04-17-17, 07:06 PM
All Region

peebles is on a distinguished road
Yep! My mistake. Cogan Invite is Friday the 28th. Starting to get the dates mixed up for all of these events. I am going to try and attend both meets, EP for sure; the Cogan is 50/50 at this time. Definitely want to go; there will be some impressive talent at that one. Hope the weather cooperates.
Old 04-17-17, 09:06 PM
All Ohio

Which meets do you guys prefer. Saturday Invitationals, or Invitationals under the Friday night lights. I personally vastly prefer the latter, so much funner. And if the location is sufficiently far away, the students can get out of class way early.

Old 04-18-17, 09:23 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Which meets do you guys prefer. Saturday Invitationals, or Invitationals under the Friday night lights. I personally vastly prefer the latter, so much funner. And if the location is sufficiently far away, the students can get out of class way early.

Friday meets are nice every now and then, but they cut into the week's practice schedule too much for my liking. I'm a Saturday guy.
Old 04-19-17, 11:49 AM
Varsity

WarriorCC is on a distinguished road
St Clairsville is now going to the JG invite according to their coach, their AD made the move I guess. Louisville is coming now so look for some fireworks in the distance events with their boys and the Cole girl! Looking forward to a great meet with outstanding state caliber athletes next Friday