Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-13-17, 12:16 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Just call it Akron South!

Why don't Akron school officials just call the new Garfield, Kenmore South High? Keep the ram mascot ( Garfield ) and use red and black Kenmore). After all the new school will be built in Firestone park, and they will use the Kenmore stadium.. seems like a good solution ! !
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-17, 03:19 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
We are getting more threads on the Garfield-Kenmore merger than they'll have fans at the games.
Old 04-13-17, 03:42 PM
Varsity

OldEagle71 is on a distinguished road
South Cavaliers
Old 04-13-17, 04:04 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagle71 View Post
South Cavaliers
That's a good suggestion. I wondered if anyone would put forth the name of the old "Akron South" High School. I don't think that would be a bad compromise if they can't agree on anything else.

In today's world I strongly doubt they'd ever go with "Akron South" Rebels and the corresponding imagery LOL. Thought I'd put it out there just to get it over with is all, I'd never expect todays PC world to choose it and I know the protest it would cause.

A school near me in Utah (Dixie State University, colors: Red and White) was once known as the Rebels and they dumped the name under protests from those that wished to keep it. They picked "Red Storm" (blecch!) and after 10 years or so of use EVERYONE agreed they hated it. So another contest was held, with "Rebels" made ineligible at the outset despite the fact it had a lot of supporters. "Trail Blazers" was the new winner. They sure went through a lot of garbage on this whole name thing.

So... if "Raminals" doesn't fly (no pun intended!) (lol I suspect it won't) then choose wisely my friends !!
Old 04-13-17, 08:01 PM
All American

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
When Youngstown downsized to two schools, the only one to have sports was a brand new building and the name "East High" was reincarnated.

Not a lot of fuss about that. Eventually added a different nickname.

Regarding the "Red Storm" (blecch!), St. John University out of New York was pressured to change their "Redmen" nickname. Stemmed from a perceived slight of American Indians, when in actuality the nickname referred to the color of their uniforms.

To avoid controversy, (favoring one school over the other) I also believe they should revert to South High.
Old 04-13-17, 08:52 PM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
South Rangers royal blue and white
Old 04-13-17, 08:54 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Actually, if they're smart, they call it LeBron James Academy.
Old 04-13-17, 09:21 PM
All District

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
South Rangers royal blue and white
When Cavaliers became un PC, they did call them the Big Blue, so I'll go with BW's suggestion.
Old 04-13-17, 09:42 PM
All Region

When Ashtabula High School and Ashtabula Harbor High School were both closed and merged into the new Lakeside High School, it was printed in the Star-Beacon that the new school would not use the colors of either of the old schools (black and gold for Ashtabula and purple and gold for Harbor and the names "Panthers" and "Mariners" would also not be considered.

They eventually chose different colors that I don't recall offhand and the name "Dragons".

Back in 1949 Euclid had the same experience. Shore High Admirals - Green and White and Central High Lions - Red and White. Both schools closed at the HS level, the colors and names went to the junior highs that both schools became, and the new Euclid High chose different colors - Blue and Gold and the name "Panthers".

FWIW. Just another couple of Districts experience in how they handled this situation.
Old 04-13-17, 09:46 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
When Cavaliers became un PC, they did call them the Big Blue, so I'll go with BW's suggestion.
I would guess it must be rooted in history like the disfavor that the names Rebels or Redskins have, but I am curious. I don't know any reason off the top of my head that the name "Cavaliers" would not be PC with the PC folks (of which I am not one.)

I've never heard of the Cleveland Cavaliers having any issues or blowback about the name. So why is or would "Cavaliers" be considered "un-PC" ?
Old 04-14-17, 12:18 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
I would guess it must be rooted in history like the disfavor that the names Rebels or Redskins have, but I am curious. I don't know any reason off the top of my head that the name "Cavaliers" would not be PC with the PC folks (of which I am not one.)

I've never heard of the Cleveland Cavaliers having any issues or blowback about the name. So why is or would "Cavaliers" be considered "un-PC" ?
My Dad, a 1935 South grad, told me that a Cavalier is a Southern gentleman ie. a possible slave owner. So the Cavalier, though not abandoned, was pushed to the background, and Big Blue adopted. Didn't Cavs come to the forefront awhile back ?
Old 04-14-17, 02:12 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
My Dad, a 1935 South grad, told me that a Cavalier is a Southern gentleman ie. a possible slave owner. So the Cavalier, though not abandoned, was pushed to the background, and Big Blue adopted. Didn't Cavs come to the forefront awhile back ?
I know the terms "Cavaliers" and the State of Virginia have some sort of common history or connection. That's as far as I know (without doing any research) about that. I suppose it's why the teams at UVA are called the Cavaliers.

I also know that during Oliver Cromwell's era in England/Great Britain there was a Civil War & the two opposing sides were the "Cavaliers" & the "Roundheads" (<go figure that one). I know Cromwell's side won and he overthrew the British Crown and ruled as "Lord Protector" (some sort of dictator I would guess, again w/o researching it) for awhile. Then at some point after his death, control of the country somehow passed back to the Royals. I guess all of that figures into the American sports team use of "Cavaliers" not at all.

RE: Cavs as a substitute for the Cleveland Cavaliers, I know there have been times when the team stressed that name (I recall when they were making a point of it back when they had those orange and blue uniforms, not sure of the years) but I have never heard of an official name change and never heard of any outside pressure (ala' the current pressure on the Tribe to dump "Chief Wahoo" and the name "Indians", neither of which do I want to see ever actually happen) on them to do so. Or on UVA for that matter.

It's interesting to me that Akron South High apparently did have some sort of issue with the name and that they saw fit to go with "Big Blue" instead. Hope the PC crowd at UVA doesn't ever get a hold of this info. You really do learn something new every day I guess!
Old 04-14-17, 07:05 AM
All Region

gatorade_1 is on a distinguished road
Technically Kenmore is closing not Garfield, to keep everything simple just keep it Garfield High School "Golden Rams." I know that people at Kenmore might get upset but the Central people had the same thing happened and it all worked out.
Old 04-14-17, 08:25 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
We are getting more threads on the Garfield-Kenmore merger than they'll have fans at the games.
well done sir
Old 04-14-17, 09:51 AM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagle71 View Post
South Cavaliers
No one wants to be a directional school.
Old 04-15-17, 01:42 PM
Varsity

Money Ball is on a distinguished road
Gatorade is correct. The two schools are not merging. Kenmore is CLOSING. Garfield will be migrating to the Kenmore building for 3 year or so until the new school is built where the existing Garfield High is.

The new school should remain Garfield High School and it should be the Golden Rams.

But,...the way the APS operates, I will not hold my breath that a new building will actually be built until it is started. I still think there is going to be a sleight of hand with the whole thing......
Old 04-15-17, 05:01 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Ball View Post
Gatorade is correct. The two schools are not merging. Kenmore is CLOSING. Garfield will be migrating to the Kenmore building for 3 year or so until the new school is built where the existing Garfield High is.

The new school should remain Garfield High School and it should be the Golden Rams.

But,...the way the APS operates, I will not hold my breath that a new building will actually be built until it is started. I still think there is going to be a sleight of hand with the whole thing......
From what I've seen with actions of the APS, the last 10 years, you could be right on. God I hope you're not, but you've got me wondering.
Old 04-16-17, 09:09 AM
Varsity

Money Ball is on a distinguished road
You would be very intelligent to follow the Money......I saw it said on here a while ago that the APS doesn't care about sports, and all of their decisions prove it, as well as that they do not care to tell the public the truth, or the truth to their own employees! As long as their paychecks keep on going into their accounts, they just want to keep their jobs. They need to have the ethical standards that the lunch counter people at Sam's Club have. You want a Pizza Combo, coming right up! The MB's favorite, the Hot Dog Combo?? Alrighty then, here you are, hot and on a grilled bun! Feel free to add onions if you'd like, or just help yourself to the condiments over at the counter. APS will do whatever the state tells them too, THAT is why I am so concerned that this new building will ever be built.