Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-15-17, 02:58 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Last surviving person born in 1800s dies at age 117

Quote:
Emma Morano, at 117 the world’s oldest person who is also believed to have been the last surviving person born in the 1800s, died Saturday at her home in northern Italy, her physician said.

Dr. Carlo Bava told The Associated Press by phone that Morano’s caretaker had called him to say she had stopped breathing in the afternoon while sitting in an armchair at her home in Verbania, a town on Italy’s Lake Maggiore.

Bava said he had last seen his patient on Friday when “she thanked me and held my hand,” as she did every time he called on her. While Morano had been increasingly spending more time sleeping and less time speaking in recent weeks, she had eaten her daily raw egg and biscuits that day, he said.
Read more:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/last-sur...s-dies-at-117/
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-17, 03:10 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Wow! Imagine the experiences she had in her lifetime. What a blessing to witness the immense change in the world over the last century+.

Bisquits, yes. Raw egg, no. Or, maybe...
Old 04-15-17, 03:51 PM
All Ohio

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
And with that, the 1800's now go with the 1700's as "a time none of us can relate to".

I remember sitting in school in second grade in 1965, learning about Abe Lincoln being shot in 1865, and thinking (as kids do when they lose focus and start staring out the window), "Wow- a person who was my age then (6) could say they remember Abraham Lincoln if they were alive today!"

And I'm sure there were a few back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
..... What a blessing to witness the immense change in the world over the last century+.
Possibly a mixed blessing? But, yeah, she saw a few things and a few changes in her day.
Old 04-15-17, 04:16 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest is on a distinguished road
I imagine she had a pretty darn good look at WWII. I don't know much about Italy and WWI. Considering it started nearby between Serbia and Austro-Hungary, must have had some impact but about all we get is France and Germany, with a little bit of Gallipoli.
Old 04-15-17, 07:23 PM
All American

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I imagine she had a pretty darn good look at WWII. I don't know much about Italy and WWI. Considering it started nearby between Serbia and Austro-Hungary, must have had some impact but about all we get is France and Germany, with a little bit of Gallipoli.
My grandfather served on the Italian/Austrian front during WWI. It was hellish alpine combat and the Italians proved themselves to be brave and tenacious fighters. They won back some of their lost provinces during the war.

Yes. This lady's passing is very noteworthy.
Old 04-15-17, 09:55 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
And with that, the 1800's now go with the 1700's as "a time none of us can relate to".

I remember sitting in school in second grade in 1965, learning about Abe Lincoln being shot in 1865, and thinking (as kids do when they lose focus and start staring out the window), "Wow- a person who was my age then (6) could say they remember Abraham Lincoln if they were alive today!"

And I'm sure there were a few back then.

Possibly a mixed blessing? But, yeah, she saw a few things and a few changes in her day.
Yes, I thought about that as I was keying. Lincoln - I doubt there'll be another like him (though he's not popular with all here in Dixie).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: