Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-14-17, 09:09 PM
All American

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
OK chief , lets show how weak Coffman purposely scheduled this past year .

Springfield - multiple D-1 kids not a great team but a PLAY-OFF TEAM.

Scioto - OT A GREAT TEAM DISTRCIT RIVAL MADE PLAY-OFFS Rocks crushed them BAD and Irish hammered Massillon in the play-offs

Fairfield - multiple d-1 players play-off team

Olentangy - play-off team great coach

Gahanna - playoff team the previous year , just missed this year lost multipole close games

League games , Davidson nuff said and UA beat Pick Central in regular season

What I mean by practical those same teams show up again THIS YEAR sans Springfield whos is replaced by largest enrollment D-2 school Perrysburg who has had success overall the last few years playing them on the road { 2.5 HOURS away} and making the play-offs is a goal , practical . DeSales doesn't have that problem playing in D-3 with a loaded roster playing smaller schools .
Old 04-15-17, 02:19 PM
All Ohio

TCSoup is on a distinguished road
Rico has some good points , DeSales Schedule has been light compared to years gone by.

But they still schedule at least 1 or 2 D1 OCC teams every year. They had d2 Playoff team Edgewood last year D4 State Champ Hartley last year and that team from Canada who
had 95 % of its players from the US on it . Plus they were mostly made up of 5th year Seniors. meaning they were allowed to play a 5th year of HS ball by Canadian rules as long as they hadn't turned 20 . 19 is the cutoff age.
DC OCC Schedule is set up to make the Playoffs . No shame in that.
but you can't defend it as one set up to challenge the HHW , Moellers or Iggy's of the world.
DeSales has been guilty of that also the last few years.
That's why you see Mooney and Winton Woods back on it this year.
Old 04-15-17, 02:56 PM
All American

2015 OCC Central had 5 play-off teams within the league. Last year Coffman played 5 play-off teams and two who were play-off quality teams , UA beat Pick Central earlier on and Gahanna was very competitive with play-off teams , lost some really tough close games .

Olentangy was a playoff team but fairly young and Coffman hammered them . This year it will be a really competitive close game against them IMO. They didn't schedule those teams { Gahanna , Olentangy} they were assigned to play them like everyone else is no in the new OCC.

They started with Springfield and then Scioto who both made the play-offs and Scioto won a game{ Massillon} . Fairfield was third a pay-off team both years Coffman played them { Split the two game series} . And of course the rest of the teasm are league foes can't choose to play them or not play them .

So this notion that they schedule WEAK is simply not true . So they should play Wayne , lose and may be not make the play-offs after playing the aforementioned quality schedule , when the fact is they play Wayne every year in the play-offs anyway? How does that make sense ?

This year the schedule includes a more than not play-off team at least recently Gahanna with a excellent QB and one of the top couple receivers in the the region in Columbus Academy transfer Bruckner. Olentangy an perennial play-off team with a ton of starters back .

Perrysburg replaces Springfield and has bene a very solid program overall the last 5 or so years , who is D-2 but is about 8 students away from being D-1 { Second largest D-2 team in the state} and that game is one the road { 2.5 hours away } .

Scioto is a rivalry game in week two , should win that one . UA I hear has some transfers and has a solid couple classes . Davidson isn't as good as they used to be overall but it is still a game that can go either way . So I think while the Canada game suks and won't help them prepare whatsoever for the top programs certainly , it isn't as if they didn't try to schedule a better opponent , a few solid programs said no thanks { Lancaster I believe was one?} Scrumper can help me out on that one may be ?

But with the schedule as it is , not saying it is incredibly trying but some real tough road games { Davidson , Perrysburg ??, Olentangy with revenge and a ton of kids back , UA always a dog fight has talent and they consider Coffman their biggest rival , not playing Wayne in week three I feel was the right decision, seeing as though they have played them so frequently in the play-offs.

Certainly ,and I am not bashing them because sometimes teams aren't as strong as you thought when you did schedule the game , DeSales had given their talent level last year an easier schedule than Coffman did .

I realize most out here responding are anti Coffman , but their schedules the last few years have not been weak overall , Liberty's wasn't that tough last year, props for going to PA , but that team wasn't great , Glenville? MEH . They do step up and play Wayne and should be commended for it, and PC has had some good schedules { but have played some weaker teams as well } but Coffman playing Springfield , Fairfield and keeping the game with Scioto the last two years isn't a weak choice.

So their schedule is set up to make the play-offs? ARE YOU SAYING THE central is really weak ? HMM not in 2015 it certainly wasn't and it wasn't last year, UA didn'[t make the play-offs despite beating Pick Central couldn't have bene that weak and they had no choice but to play Gahanna and Olentangy in home and home's , both not bad programs certainly , play-offs more than not .
Old 04-15-17, 04:33 PM
Varsity

Scrumper is on a distinguished road
There were many teams that turned us away from a home and home series. Probably for many of the same reasons we don't want to see Wayne or pick central during the season.

But the truth of it is would you rather play an elite program with a high probability of a loss and no playoffs, or take on a probable win with more Harbins, get a better draw in the playoffs, win one, and play week12? Ask any of the boys on the team, easy choice. I now there are no guarantees, but I would rather see my boy play in a few more games. And who knows, the ball may bounce our way this year. Also, as a dad of one of those players where this may be the last year he plays, I want to see him in as many games as possible.

Call me a homer, but this year could be a special year for the kids to remember for the rest of there lives. If the stars align, we move to R2, go into the playoffs undefeated or one loss, get the ball to bounce our way, the boys may get a game in the shoe. I know it's a long shot, but we fans can always hope right?
Old 04-15-17, 05:44 PM
All American

Going to r-2 would be a nice change and interesting. O-liberty is an emerging force , have bene really solid and getting better , Coffman is a perfect 8-0 against them though .

NO fear there of course , but Liberty is now clearly a bigger school than Coffman as it has really grown, so their numbers are impressive as well as their talent . Hale is an underrated coach , his staff is solid as well .

Fans should dare to dream of their team playing to and achieving their full potential , and Scrump is spot on with his thoughts here.

Coffman lost two regular season games by a total of three points last year. Laid an egg vs. Davidson in game one before controlling the action in a comfortable win in the play-off rematch , Springfield got revenge for a good beatdown in 2015 winning a game over two days at home with the Rocks losing a really tough two point decision .

I agree if going to R-2 and things break right it could be a very memorable season . And I have a hunch that Scrumps' boy will be playing a few games after his high school career ends , as my old position coach in HS originally from Texas might say " That boy is strong as snot "
Old 04-25-17, 07:29 AM
All American

Three months and a few pennies of change to go until two a days's. What do coaches say to players in the hallways at this point? What did you do to get better today?

A good sign in my opinion is the increased participation in track from the football players. Back in the earlier 2000's through the later 2000's we saw a decent participation rate in track from some football players. This seemed to fall off gradually over the years but it seems to have risen now and that is a good thing.

I have seen a few guys increase their speed and of course most are lifting pretty hard as well at this point, increased speed and flexibility is a big key to increased performance. .

We don't see much of any crossover with basketball players on the gridiron anymore, and even some kids who are baseball and lacrosse players aren't coming out in the same numbers . My thought mirrors Kilbourne coach Vince Trombetti's take on this . Now there are a few exceptions , but " MOST" of these guys who eschew football to more " Concentrate " on these other sports " Aren't as good as they think they are in those sports" One of my all time favorite quotes . Spot on and kids forget or don't realize that they get better as ATHLETES , { Stronger , faster, tougher, more confident} when they play football .

When people analyze a programs potential , a lot of people point first to potential D-1 kids, especially at the larger schools , but I think what gets lost is a programs number of kids who are just interested in continuing in college, dedicated kids who know they aren't D-1 , but work hard and with a purpose looking towards playing college football, whatever that level may ultimately be .

Davidson obviously comes to mind , as they have had soe D-1 caliber kids but they have importantly had a nice handful of kids who push to play at lower levels because they love the game.

Football isn't for everyone , some play but don't love it , but I think the number of kids you have who do relish the contact and love to compete is a huge factor in how good you will ultimately be .

If you look at Coffman's best teams over the last 15 years they had a nice collection of kids who were competitive and some who played with that edge , worked hard at it and pushed themselves . Of course this is true with most programs, but I think may be this years edition just may have a nice collection of these kids who may not be d-1 but are dedicated tough smart players who will play somewhere and have that desire to do the little things and extra's to get there . Even at the highest levels of football namely the New England Patriots have always put a huge emphasis on finding players who simply LOVE THE GAME , who have bene proven to love the process of getting better, who will sacrifice, they readily cross off talented players with measureables who don't have that grind mentality or the love of the sport.

Speaking of D-1 kids and the aforementioned dynamic , How hasn't Griffin Hoak gotten at least a MAC offer or two at this point? He is one of those " FOOTBALL " guys , works hard at the process loves the game , is instinctual and tough ?

No disrespect to other Ohio LB'S like Liberty's Ed Warriner , Colerain's Dan Bolden , and Ty Van Fossen of DeSales who all have multiple offers Warriner from power 5 Michigan State} and they deserve such offers and I am not saying that they shouldn't be rated higher than Griffin in these recruiting lists , BUT if they are getting UC MSU among other offers , how is Hoak not getting MAC love ?

Yes , Griffin's foot speed isn't equal to some of these handful of guys rated higher and receiving offers , and I know a lot of this is potential based, not necessarily based on the actual production that is seen at the high school level but I am puzzled here.

So much of LB paly is instinct, first movements after snap , toughness taking on blocks, and tackling fundamentals , it's check , check check with this player.

I Realize that a lot of LB play with forms of the spread offense has changed and programs look for faster kids who they think can cover in space better, but you can overlook guys like Hoak , who have that IT factor as football players, program guys who will provide leadership work ethic , who love the process , who will work hard to improve , have that attitude that makes a program better just being in it .

Obviously there is tie for him to get these offers I think he deserves and is qualified for, but at this point it is CLEAR , programs are missing out here.
Old 04-25-17, 07:50 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Stiv, IMO, your question contained its own answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
______'s foot speed isn't equal to some of these handful of guys rated higher and receiving offers
If there is any 'qualifier' language needed with regard to speed, that is normally the reason. The game is faster than ever before. A few years back, a wise coach told me, yesterday's NFL guys are today's "Big 10" guys and yesterday's Big 10 guys are today's MAC guys and yesterday's MAC guys are today's Ohio Dominican/Ashland/Findley guys.

In other words, for guys from our generation, our frame of reference needs to change. When we think of a kid and say, "He may not be Big 10 caliber but certainly he could play in the MAC", we need to remove the word "MAC" and insert a GLIAC school.

Of course there are individual exceptions to that where you see some kids who leap frog over others despite not having much of a resume or having hit the typical height/frame/speed lottery (the Shelton kid from Westerville North getting picked up by Penn State a few years back being an example). But for the most part you have to trust that the recruiters know what they're doing, because they see a lot of kids and their jobs ride on it.
Old 04-25-17, 08:24 AM
All American

get that some players are a couple inches short , a bit slow or stiff, to get multiple offers, my point of reference is with players I have seen play, Boatang at Coffman WHO has multiple offers is someone I didn't mention because he is an outside LB , another one at Inside LB is Asamoah at DeSales who I think is a good prospect who Kentucky is looking hard at Who I have seen play and has good speed at about 205-210 pounds .

My frame of reference is now, while Griffin doesn't have ideal HT and speed , he doesn't PLAY SLOW, he isn't markedly slower than these guys in other words , he isn't markedly smaller either and in some cases stronger and bigger than some.

So it merely puzzles me at this point that he doesn't , but my guess and I would bet on it that once the MAC schools who like most schools AIM ABOVE their league for recruits don't get the big -10 CRUMBS they wanted, spots will open up and he will get an offer at the D-1 level .

My Patriots reference was made to point out that they get those IT FOOTBAL guys wh are on the smaller side may be { Danny Woodhead was very productive} Tedy Brushi ? Did scouts drool over Rob Minkovitch's measureable,s ? Mike Vrabel couldn't play in Pittsburgh ,probably was a step slow and his hips were a bit stiff may be ? Kind of an integral part of the program as they calL it in NE?

If he was actually SLOW , wouldn't have mentioned it. he isn't slow, , he isn't too small and he is tough and productive, a better football player than some of these guys who have more fluid hips and a bit quicker in the 40 , but don't have the toughness instinct and attitude which schools find out every year .

You need the jaguars , the speed demons and the guys who look a bit better in the uniform to take chances on , some hit some bust, with a kid like this the BUST potential is minimal even if say at the MAC level he never becomes a full time starter , he wil be more of an asset than some players who project higher or have a higher ceiling .

If you only recruit by numbers and where you think their ceiling is , you miss out and will be lacking in some key elements of football is my point.

And to repeat, this isn't a case of a 5-9 and a half 200 pound weight room warrior type with heavy legs , high school tackling machine NOT getting love based on stats and production , I GET LIMITATIONS, bu with this player I don't see massive limitations , although I do know recruiting is based on sheer POTENTIAL and growth potential , and that makes solid even superior players to these potential kids fall through some cracks .

I think it wil work itself out and a program or two at the D-1 level will offer the solid,steady smart tough player but it may not come until the more flashy UPSIDE POTENTIAL KIDS choose to go elsewhere.
Old 04-25-17, 08:42 AM
All American

Looking back , I think a comparable is Brett Buehler, who was a very productive HS player who played at Cornell . He was just off the radar of the MAC and other D-1 programs . His scouting report back then mentioned needs improvement in change of direction and agility but the positives mentioned mirror Hoak's attributes . Worked out well as a top student football isn'[t always the top priority can't go wrong with the Ivy league and the level of player at that level is increasing .

I do think players have to be mindful of this when being evaluated, some of this flexibility and smooth hips and overall fluidity is god given to an extent{ Mike Drennan for instance} but you can improve on it and the lack of this can result in a lack of interest in bigger programs.

Griffin first instincts and playing speed is good and his tape shows that , keep working on the speed and agility and show well in the last round of " Tryouts" and I think he gets an offer, if not 1-AA of walk on MAC ? Hope it doesn't come to that for him and I don't think it will.

Happy for Boatang who is getting interest from many places, including Kentucky recently .

Hopefully other players will get some attention soon from schools they are interested in . Heard really good things coming from spring practice at Kentucky , Wisconsin and Penn State concerning former Coffman players Hoak , Gelerstadt and Grady , have some thoughts on that a bit later
Old 04-25-17, 10:38 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
But for the most part you have to trust that the recruiters know what they're doing, because they see a lot of kids and their jobs ride on it.
I agree. I generally believe that the "recruiting market" is pretty efficient. There's way too much money riding on all of these decisions at both the university and the individual level for it not to be, at least in DI.

Do the recruiters get it wrong occasionally? Sure, and stock brokers make bad investment decisions sometimes as well. That shouldn't surprise anyone.

However, I believe they're getting it relatively "right" much more often than not. Otherwise, they'll be out of a job.
Old 04-25-17, 11:10 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
I agree. I generally believe that the "recruiting market" is pretty efficient. .
^^ This.

And like most 'efficient markets', there is nothing preventing it from being self-correcting. They read wrong and grab a kid they shouldn't, he'll flame out, like big lineman from Glenville that OSU took a few year's back (name escapes me but he was not even good in HS, just big).

On the flip side, if they all miss a kid with P5 talent who slips to IAA or DII, that kid should excel and stand out and be able to transfer up, right?

This latter scenario is extremely, extremely rare in my opinion. I'm sure there are examples, but I can't think of many. That alone tells me that the recruiters get it right most of the time, and when they miss it is taking kids they shouldn't, not passing on kids they should have taken. I think this is further evidenced by the fact that you see a lot more transfers down than transfers up.
Old 04-25-17, 11:25 AM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
And like most 'efficient markets', there is nothing preventing it from being self-correcting. They read wrong and grab a kid they shouldn't, he'll flame out, like big lineman from Glenville that OSU took a few year's back (name escapes me but he was not even good in HS, just big).

On the flip side, if they all miss a kid with P5 talent who slips to IAA or DII, that kid should excel and stand out and be able to transfer up, right?

This latter scenario is extremely, extremely rare in my opinion. I'm sure there are examples, but I can't think of many. That alone tells me that the recruiters get it right most of the time, and when they miss it is taking kids they shouldn't, not passing on kids they should have taken. I think this is further evidenced by the fact that you see a lot more transfers down than transfers up.
Those are very good points, and I really hadn't thought about looking at the transfer data to see how often the "misses" are happening, especially the "up transfers."

You see the "down transfers" with some regularity, but that's bound to happen with 85 scholarships and only 22 starting positions. Many kids who are superstars in high school just aren't going to suck it up to be a backup any more. We live in too much of a "I want things now" culture for that to happen.

The only major "up transfer" I can think of is in basketball when the kid from Williams or Amherst transferred to Michigan. Of course, the transfers in basketball are out of control these days, and there seems to be no loyalty at all on anyone's part (players/coaches/schools) in basketball in general. So, even that might be a bad example.
Old 04-25-17, 12:11 PM
All American

To what degree they get it " RIGHT" I am not sure , but I guarantee if you watch Thursday's NFL draft TWO of the top 10 picks will not have a significant NFL imprint , there WILL BE A Vernon Gholston or a QB bust. In other words it is an inexact science, there are tings that can't be accurately measured .

I agree there are more transfers DOWN in order to play than kids wanting to try to play at a higher level , which is why you see walk on's starting from time to time at even MAJOR talent factory schools .

It is very hard to gauge who will work hard enough to succeed at the next level of comp coming out of high school , and or who will start partying too much or not studying, , although level of High school and your transcript can offer clues obviously.

5 Star guys sometimes NEVER start , and three star or less guys make the NFL, happens all the time, undrafted free agents start on EVERY NFL team , and these guys are professional talent evaluators, many draft picks NEVER make a team .

Fine line between who gets offers and who doesn't , blurry, not much difference, and also you can't ignore the momentum dynamic, once a kid gets that first offer what often happens is OTHERS thin hmmm if they offered shouldn't we? Same thing can happen if you are offerless if you will , it becomes contagious sometimes.

Pro leagues are copycat leagues, college recruiting can be as well
Old 04-29-17, 07:35 PM
All American

On second thought , with regard to Hoak Buehler comparison , it is faulty although the physical and good qualities are similar , Buehlers are pretty much from his Senior year and Griffin still has his to play.

Hoak had a nice grasp of the defense last year but this year I expect with added strength , speed and an even greater grasp of his responsibilities , his LB repertoire will further develop to include some more instinctive moves and first reactions and instincts that will result in more tackles for losses and interceptions.

His football version of ring generalship will increase. What I mean is in boxing rounds are scored with Ring Generalship being one of the components , boxing as a kid I learned it to mean how comfortable are you in the ring in the heat of battle ? Are you in somewhat command of your surroundings ? Hoak is good at this , but will be at a different level this year IMO.

Now he made a lot of plays this year and was in command , BUT this year he takes it to another level and will surely be in terms of actual play on the field be a bonafide D-1 player be it at the MAC level or elsewhere no question and if he isn't thought of that way it's a mistake .

Now he isn't Griffin Grady in terms of sheer raw athleticism and the ability to run guys down from across the field , BUT he has the same never give up on a play attitude and desire . Same traits , not same skill set but Hoak has d-1 potential no question .

Speaking of Grady , he led the Wisconsin spring game in tackles , all three 2016 D-1 grads are doing very well and are showing great potential to be future starters .

Grady is ina cluster of LB'S all of who are coming back two missed the spring game which got him more reps, he played this year as a true Frosh no redshirt year unlike Gunnar Hoak and Alex Gellerstedt , but he will be in the mix this year with a great chance to be a fulltime starter his Junior season.

Gellerstedt has Head-coach James Franklin very excited about his potential as a guy who will battle for a starting role next year, this year he has shown tremendous growth as a true Frosh easily carrying 300 pounds as they are very high on his potential as the other 2016 recruits have been O-line guys since the start and Alex started playing Offense in his Junior year.

He will likely compete for a starting job NEXT YEAR , at a full 6-6 305 and growing he is the type of athlete that competes well in the big -10

Gunnar Hoak flat out shined in the Kentucky spring game , as he outplayed the starter significantly , as he had the number two's on offense going against the defensive number ones and easily beat the Offensive ones going against the defensive two's.

Many within the program , think they can win with Gunnar at QB and look for him to play his Red shirt frosh year, starting isn't happening as the incumbent has a whole year of starting and has the experience , but some think Gunnar is coming hard and could challenge in camp , solid showing from al three Coffman guys who are a great example to all Coffman guys coming up that attitude work ethic , and being great kids and students is as important as being talented athletes
Old 06-06-17, 02:13 PM
Varsity

Well, it looks official, Coffman will be in region 2 for this year in football. I like the move. If we make the playoffs we will have the chance to play someone new.

Now boys, put the final touches on your off-season, work on your timing and coverage during 7 on 7, lineman, please play with an attitude everyday, and leaders please step up and lead this year's team to it's full potential.
Old 06-06-17, 02:18 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Yes. Good luck to the Shams in the region that gives them the best shot of making final four. You can do it!
Old 06-07-17, 08:23 AM
All American

Congrats to LB Griffin Hoak who hit an offer from Youngstown State , long overdue , excellent production strong fundamentals and an excellent tackler . Has gotten a bit quicker and plays faster than his 40 time . Guys who run a bit faster have gotten offers but aren't as good a football player as Griffin is. Not as tough or don't tackle as well and produce what he does , I expect after this first offer even at the FBS level some MAC programs may wake up and make an offer to a player who will work hard and be productive and can flat out tackle people which I was told is an integral skill in this game
Old 06-14-17, 07:25 AM
Varsity

I guess saturday we will see how the QB situation will play out. Can Brown handle the job? Or, does Ernst move in to the spot to begin with.
I just don't see Coffman throwing as much as in the past. This year's version should be able to run well to start. If the line starts as young as I think, by the end of the season, they could be a force.
The defense up front will be strong. The defensive backfield will come together. Will be interested in who they do this weekend in the state 7 on 7.
Old 06-14-17, 03:50 PM
All American

I think it's Brown's to lose , Marcus Ernst is a natural athlete who showed well at slot last year and I think since he is not playing college football { Ohio State baseball commit} he stays there and if needed plays some snaps at QB.

I agree with Scrump , that the team may run the rock more this season, they are usually a 50-50 team with some years actually running it more than passing overall and I think this year could be one of those years .

Two good RB'S and a few other kids who can carry it , Gavin Sturdivant has been productive whenever he has bene out there , but hasn't been healthy at times missing a good handful of games , Cam Scott looked fast in track this year and can effectively play at RB as well , if Gavin gets the majority of touches back there I would like to see Cam paly at another position or on defense and still get some carries on offense as well , have to try to get your best football players on the field at the same time as much as you can in my opinion.

Defense will be solid, I thin now being in R-2 could be as good be the top 10 percent at least of all defenses in that region . Only had one bad game and another game had a bad half { Upper Arlington } all season on defense .

Springfield game gave up a few big plays to Danny Davis , Wayne game they got beat even when they covered well against Blue Smith , and the offense couldn't get out of it's own way giving Wayne a few short fields along with a special team gaffe.

UA game they got run on by UA and they hit a few play ion the passing game scoring 21 points but they shut them out in the second half .

Coffman beat some teams badly last year on the scoreboard, but the disparity wasn't as great as that score indicated { Olentangy by 35 Scioto by 40} sometimes things get out of control like they did for Coffman against Wayne , you have a favorable match-up in a few areas the other team turns it over a few times, panics and it's a rout .

Rocks will be a real contender in R-2 no question, the defensive backfield as usual has athletes, just a question of finding the best 4-6 kids and plugging them in , would like to see the staff play a few kids both ways in a situational way, not full time on both sides but utilize some kids full potential and range of skills.

Scrump is right , front 7 is solid, LB crew may be as good as we have seen at Coffman in a while , three kids who will play in College and get paid to do so , two D-lineman who played a lot of snaps in Darius Cummings who is athletic and quick and played RB before and Cole Bagozzi who squats over 500 pounds . they have some experience speed some toughness and kids who are always in position led by LB Griffin Hoak who is the captain of the defense making the calls .
Old 06-19-17, 08:53 AM
Varsity

Would like some opinions on the 7 on 7 sat. I could only watch the play in games. I thought they looked good for this time of year. Brown made some great throws, some with touch, and others with some heat. But, he also missed open receivers, throw some that wen the other way. Overall Brown played well. Receivers all played well, some good hands shown by Ernst, and a young Grady . Coffman has the receivers to function as a solid group so that opposing defenses will have to respect.
I was pleasantly surprised with the DB play. 6-8 guys that could play in the backfield. Each player it seemed to have some strenthes and weakness. Who they send out on Friday night is up in the air I bet.
Overall, they looked solid. And seem ready for the final push to the season start. Looking forward to the early season games. Especially, week two battle for Dublin against Scioto. After the 3rd week of the season should have a feel for potential of this team.
Old 07-06-17, 04:35 PM
All American

Rocks will compete in the PowerAde 7 on 7 Invitational in North Carolina next week . A lot of talent there , no matter what happens it will be a plus and players will be better for it .

7 on 7 is a good tool for QB'S and Receivers to get some work in , get some chemistry started especially teams with a first year starter like Coffman . Brown at QB looked pretty good from what I heard and saw on the limited tape I saw at Storied rivals

Predictably slots Drennan and Ernst were solid , but a nice surprise or may be that's not the right word considering how athletic he is but Senior Trevor Grady was a difference maker and after not playing for a few years could be a excellent and needed addition to the Receiving corps .

He is a basketball player who is 6-5 and has some hops { some impressive dunks in hoops Jerome slam in the tournament was pretty explosive baseline number } , his ball skills were evident and he could be a force in the red zone presenting match-up issues with smaller DB'S.

Of course the passing game is dependent on the O-Line , which has only one full time starter back but has 4-5 who saw action and had some starts due to injury discipline probs etc. , so not that green as a group.

R-2 is not as arduous or deep as R-3 { R-2 in the two div couple years} where the Rocks have been, and while the Rocks have made the play-offs 10 of the last 11 years { very narrow miss the one year 2008 } they have to be focused to make it back this year and not get too excited about the new region .

Teams on the schedule will be gunning for the Rocks , many lost to them including one who beat them but lost the second one { Davidson } and Springfield who nipped the Rocks isn't on the schedule this year . Rocks were a few plays missed FG'S small gaffe's , game plan problems rom an undefeated regular season last year losing two razor close games { 3 points total }
Wayne outclassed them played better and the Rocks turned it over unforced a few times which furthered the margin .

But some of the teams they handled fairly easily are much better and out for revenge, UA played the Rocks equal last year losing a close one will be good again , Gahanna has talent and wants some revenge , excellent QB Receiver and speed . Olentangy will be very good I believe and was embarrassed last year in Dublin . This year the game is Lewis Center.

Davidson is pis#ED off from the play-off loss , and Scioto was embarrassed , not sure those two clubs have the material to take the Rocks down this year , but in rivalry games strange things happen especially Davidson with revenge .

Good to see Pickerington Central on the scrimmage ledger albeit part of a 4 way with ST Chuck's and Toledo Central Catholic , but even if the first scrimmage a god measuring stick going against what most believe is the top team in Central Ohio .

Scrimmage 2 and 3 are the same as last year, with DeSales for the third straight year with may be their best overall team in a while and Westerville Central who the Rocks beat up a bit last year but will be improved this year and would probably want to show the Rocks more than they did .

LB Boateng has made his verbal to Mich State , and is looking very fast in the off season and is up towards 220 from about 195- 200 at this time last year . LB Crabtree has an offer from Colorado State and a few other 1-AA schools and also is running well looking faster and is at about I would guess also 215 -220 . LB Hoak has a high 1-AA offer from Youngstown State and hopefully he gets a MAC offer or another D-1 offer soon .
He is the most productive of the LB'S is the strongest physically at about 220 , an inch or two shorter than the other two but has the best instincts and hits the hardest and calls the signals , but in this age of college football with preponderance of the spread offense , 40 times are as important as the three point shot has become in basketball .

There are football players like Hoak who get overlooked because of a time that is just off their criteria but would often be better football players than the kid they take based off of the shuttle run or 40 time but never sees the field . Kids like Hoak often end up walking on at d-1 levels and playing over recruited kids because they are tougher work harder are smarter have better instincts and are more productive . HAPPENS ALL THE TIME . MAC schools among others are missing out on this kid .

Defensive back is not nearly as set as Linebacker is but the talent and material is solid , 7 on 7 is helping kids get reps covering people and gives the coaches things to think about , but of course camp and scrimmage time is when the players separate themselves with the way they tackle and their physical play .
Old 07-06-17, 05:06 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Rocks will compete in the PowerAde 7 on 7 Invitational in North Carolina next week . A lot of talent there , no matter what happens it will be a plus and players will be better for it .

7 on 7 is a good tool for QB'S and Receivers to get some work in , get some chemistry started especially teams with a first year starter like Coffman . Brown at QB looked pretty good from what I heard and saw on the limited tape I saw at Storied rivals

Predictably slots Drennan and Ernst were solid , but a nice surprise or may be that's not the right word considering how athletic he is but Senior Trevor Grady was a difference maker and after not playing for a few years could be a excellent and needed addition to the Receiving corps .

He is a basketball player who is 6-5 and has some hops { some impressive dunks in hoops Jerome slam in the tournament was pretty explosive baseline number } , his ball skills were evident and he could be a force in the red zone presenting match-up issues with smaller DB'S.

Of course the passing game is dependent on the O-Line , which has only one full time starter back but has 4-5 who saw action and had some starts due to injury discipline probs etc. , so not that green as a group.

R-2 is not as arduous or deep as R-3 { R-2 in the two div couple years} where the Rocks have been, and while the Rocks have made the play-offs 10 of the last 11 years { very narrow miss the one year 2008 } they have to be focused to make it back this year and not get too excited about the new region .

Teams on the schedule will be gunning for the Rocks , many lost to them including one who beat them but lost the second one { Davidson } and Springfield who nipped the Rocks isn't on the schedule this year . Rocks were a few plays missed FG'S small gaffe's , game plan problems rom an undefeated regular season last year losing two razor close games { 3 points total }
Wayne outclassed them played better and the Rocks turned it over unforced a few times which furthered the margin .

But some of the teams they handled fairly easily are much better and out for revenge, UA played the Rocks equal last year losing a close one will be good again , Gahanna has talent and wants some revenge , excellent QB Receiver and speed . Olentangy will be very good I believe and was embarrassed last year in Dublin . This year the game is Lewis Center.

Davidson is pis#ED off from the play-off loss , and Scioto was embarrassed , not sure those two clubs have the material to take the Rocks down this year , but in rivalry games strange things happen especially Davidson with revenge .

Good to see Pickerington Central on the scrimmage ledger albeit part of a 4 way with ST Chuck's and Toledo Central Catholic , but even if the first scrimmage a god measuring stick going against what most believe is the top team in Central Ohio .

Scrimmage 2 and 3 are the same as last year, with DeSales for the third straight year with may be their best overall team in a while and Westerville Central who the Rocks beat up a bit last year but will be improved this year and would probably want to show the Rocks more than they did .

LB Boateng has made his verbal to Mich State , and is looking very fast in the off season and is up towards 220 from about 195- 200 at this time last year . LB Crabtree has an offer from Colorado State and a few other 1-AA schools and also is running well looking faster and is at about I would guess also 215 -220 . LB Hoak has a high 1-AA offer from Youngstown State and hopefully he gets a MAC offer or another D-1 offer soon .
He is the most productive of the LB'S is the strongest physically at about 220 , an inch or two shorter than the other two but has the best instincts and hits the hardest and calls the signals , but in this age of college football with preponderance of the spread offense , 40 times are as important as the three point shot has become in basketball .

There are football players like Hoak who get overlooked because of a time that is just off their criteria but would often be better football players than the kid they take based off of the shuttle run or 40 time but never sees the field . Kids like Hoak often end up walking on at d-1 levels and playing over recruited kids because they are tougher work harder are smarter have better instincts and are more productive . HAPPENS ALL THE TIME . MAC schools among others are missing out on this kid .

Defensive back is not nearly as set as Linebacker is but the talent and material is solid , 7 on 7 is helping kids get reps covering people and gives the coaches things to think about , but of course camp and scrimmage time is when the players separate themselves with the way they tackle and their physical play .
Uh Mr. Harry, 7 on 7 is a major waste of time.Football in shorts is just a beauty contest. Unimportant and a total waste of practice time. Picks and off interference occurs on almost every play.
Old 07-06-17, 05:35 PM
All American

Well most of the country's top football states participate in it. It is not real football I get it , but anytime a portion of your football team can get reps and work on any aspect of their games it isn't a waste of time .

QB'S throwing the football , and receivers catching it running routes against coverage is not a waste of time . A this time of the year you can't put the pads on and practice so it isn't an either or situation.

Not saying that it is all that important , but it is useful , any skill development is useful and not a waste of time . Like I said they aren't doing this in place of practice seeing as you can't practice right now. If it was A MAJOR WASTE teams around the country BEFORE the real camp and football starts would have stopped doing it I would think .

Even run only throwback teams could benefit defensively I would guess .
Old 07-07-17, 11:20 AM
Varsity

Hey Harry, well put. The 7 on 7 is good for a young QB to get as many reps with Wars he never threw to last year. Also, he will see different coverages where he is being coached at picking up on. Missing is blitz pick up. But it is still better than video games nd ice cream.
Old 07-07-17, 05:04 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh Mr. Harry, 7 on 7 is a major waste of time.
Coffman is looking to get a title any way it can. So far they're 2017 state champs in the 7on7 league. They're hoping to win the national title next week against powerhouses like Dinwiddie and Irmo.
Old 07-07-17, 07:10 PM
All American

Not really , not that important just an off season activity that helps some in skill development and making some progress . Dublin Kids win plenty now and later in life no need to win some high school title or beat Dimwittie or Sasppy Veritas fatty ugly high in the off season , thanks for your continued support fugly errr I mean Sappy V you are truly a Yappi " All American , such a treasure to this forum
Old 07-07-17, 07:22 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas

b...b@mailinator.com
wisdom and truth
Motto of Christchurch Girls' High School, New Zealand.

Of course non of the girls of Christchurch school would be caught dead with you
Old 07-07-17, 07:25 PM
All American

SAPIENTIA ET VERITAS LTD
Company Type
Private Limited
Company Status
Company Dissolved
Company Number
Incorporated
2013-01-24
Industry
Primary education

company dissolved ? Of course it is
Old 07-07-17, 07:29 PM
All American

Self aggrandizing arrogant piece of lard man claiming to be full of " Truth and wisdom" you are defiantly full of something , it sure as heil ain't truth and wisdom fugly man , you know it and I know it .
Old 07-07-17, 07:31 PM
All American

I Think the great man Chris Christie uses the same moniker on some message board, now that is a ' TRUE PATRIOT a great American .