Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-10-17, 02:06 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
US, Mexico, and Canada announce joint bid for 2026 FIFA World Cup

Quote:
The United States, Mexico, and Canada announced their intention to submit a joint bid to co-host the 2026 FIFA World Cup on Monday, with the U.S. planning to host three-quarters of the games, including the semifinals and final.

The bid, announced atop the Freedom Tower at the World Trade Center site in lower Manhattan, aims to be the first World Cup to have three host countries. If successful, it would mark just the second time that the tournament has had multiple hosts after the 2002 World Cup was co-hosted by Japan and South Korea.

With the 2026 World Cup expanding from 32 to 48 teams, and thus increasing the number of matches from 64 to 80, the joint bid is heavily favored to be chosen. U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati said the U.S. would host 60 games, while 10 each are played in Mexico and Canada.
http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup...2026-world-cup
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-17, 04:22 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Clever move but wait for the politics between the three for who gets what games, or has that been decided?
Old 04-10-17, 05:01 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Clever move but wait for the politics between the three for who gets what games, or has that been decided?
Way too spread out as teams and fans will be traveling major distances to make this work but money will cure the jet lag for FIFA members. Politically though this will guarantee the bid and will be a model used in the future for places like the British Isles, Scandinavia, South America, etc...

My guess is Mexico and Canada get auto bids and play their group games in Mexico City and Toronto; also give some games to Monterrey and Vancouver. Also I can see 1 semi being played in Houston and the other will be NYC, finals in LA. Texas and So Cal might as well be in Mexico so that makes them happy. Also look for soccer mad Portland and Seattle to host games and have start times that are good for Asia and Australia to bump up ratings over there. 9:00 PST starts equal early afternoon starts in Japan, Korea, Australia and China.
Old 04-11-17, 08:55 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Way too spread out as teams and fans will be traveling major distances to make this work but money will cure the jet lag for FIFA members. Politically though this will guarantee the bid and will be a model used in the future for places like the British Isles, Scandinavia, South America, etc...

My guess is Mexico and Canada get auto bids and play their group games in Mexico City and Toronto; also give some games to Monterrey and Vancouver. Also I can see 1 semi being played in Houston and the other will be NYC, finals in LA. Texas and So Cal might as well be in Mexico so that makes them happy. Also look for soccer mad Portland and Seattle to host games and have start times that are good for Asia and Australia to bump up ratings over there. 9:00 PST starts equal early afternoon starts in Japan, Korea, Australia and China.
A lot depends on how they group the teams.

With the new format having 16 groups all together you could expect a group or two in Canada (not sure how big some of their stadiums are), a few groups in Mexico and the rest spread throughout the US.

You might even see a few groups located in say the northwest between Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, but do they have multiple stadiums big enough?

That's the only issue I see. The World Cup usually wants BIG venues and I'm not sure a lot of newer MLS stadiums are going to be big enough for their liking.

For instance, if they have a game or 2 in Columbus, are they going to want to play games at MAPFRE stadium which is soccer specific but only holds 25000 or Ohio stadium which holds 100000? That's a no brainer.

I imagine you would mostly see NFL and college stadiums used which might frost some soccer folks out there.

Beyond that you have 32 team knockout.

That gives you 80 games total to spread all over creation.

I'd be shocked to see 9am local start times anywhere here in the states.

Also, I don't think you'll see travel where teams go from Mexico City to Seattle to NYC. They regionalized the groups to reduce travel in Brazil and will do the same here.
Old 04-11-17, 08:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastyoungstown View Post
a lot depends on how they group the teams.

With the new format having 16 groups all together you could expect a group or two in canada (not sure how big some of their stadiums are), a few groups in mexico and the rest spread throughout the us.

You might even see a few groups located in say the northwest between portland, seattle and vancouver, but do they have multiple stadiums big enough?

That's the only issue i see. The world cup usually wants big venues and i'm not sure a lot of newer mls stadiums are going to be big enough for their liking.

For instance, if they have a game or 2 in columbus, are they going to want to play games at mapfre stadium which is soccer specific but only holds 25000 or ohio stadium which holds 100000? That's a no brainer.

I imagine you would mostly see nfl and college stadiums used which might frost some soccer folks out there.

Beyond that you have 32 team knockout.

That gives you 80 games total to spread all over creation.

i'd be shocked to see 9am local start times anywhere here in the states.

also, i don't think you'll see travel where teams go from mexico city to seattle to nyc. They regionalized the groups to reduce travel in brazil and will do the same here.
9 pm pst.
Old 04-11-17, 09:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
9 pm pst.
gotcha

but then you are talking about 5am start times for Europe

no ones is gonna be happy about that if say Japan and England are drawn together

that might be tricky, but they could pull it off to throw the asian teams and Australia, provided they make it, a bone.
Old 04-11-17, 09:08 AM
All Yappi

Funny how certain things mean more to some folks than others.

For Canada the issue seems to be playing surface. Many of their bigger CFL stadiums use field turf because of the weather and while they forced the women to play on that stuff the guys will not even warm up on it. My guess is they put a temporary grass field over the field turf to keep them playing in larger stadiums.

In Mexico it is again feeling like little brother to the US but being a bigger soccer nation. The fans are not happy and want to present their own bid but the politicians understand it is better to have a possible 10 games than 0. Again I think placing many knockout games just over the boarder in TX, AZ, and CA will appease these folks.
Old 04-11-17, 09:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Funny how certain things mean more to some folks than others.

For Canada the issue seems to be playing surface. Many of their bigger CFL stadiums use field turf because of the weather and while they forced the women to play on that stuff the guys will not even warm up on it. My guess is they put a temporary grass field over the field turf to keep them playing in larger stadiums.

In Mexico it is again feeling like little brother to the US but being a bigger soccer nation. The fans are not happy and want to present their own bid but the politicians understand it is better to have a possible 10 games than 0. Again I think placing many knockout games just over the boarder in TX, AZ, and CA will appease these folks.
Like what exactly?

I'm sure you'll definitely see them cart grass in to certain places, like last time when they did it at the Meadowlands and also in Detroit.

Many of the biggest stadiums in the US are grass, some like Ohio Stadium and Jerry World in Dallas are field turf.

The only big stadiums in Canada are turf.

Mexico's stadiums are almost exclusively grass.

I kinda wonder if the only games Canada would get are their 2 games and maybe a first round knockout game or two? Maybe they get a game each in Toronto and Vancouver and then each of those cities gets a knockout
game?
Old 04-11-17, 10:26 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Like what exactly?
Like the things he mentioned in his post.
Old 04-11-17, 10:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Like the things he mentioned in his post.
thanks for your input
Old 04-11-17, 11:33 AM
All Yappi

Ohio Stadium cannot accommodate World Cup soccer. The field is too narrow.
Old 04-11-17, 11:36 AM
Cooling Off

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
I hope The Pit can end up getting a game or two.
Old 04-11-17, 11:51 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Too bad of a neighborhood.
Old 04-11-17, 11:57 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
I'm locked out of the Elder threads for some reason, but your boy is pretty disgusted with Panther baseball.....just sayin'....
Old 04-11-17, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Ohio Stadium cannot accommodate World Cup soccer. The field is too narrow.
That may be the case with a lot of larger stadiums that have very little room outside the sidelines american football sidelines
Old 04-11-17, 12:59 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Were you posting on there.

It's my favorite board to read because he is such a wreck/basket case.
Old 04-11-17, 01:02 PM
All American

Quote:
thanks for your input
No problem. I don't miss 2 solid paragraphs but I understand how you might.
Old 04-11-17, 01:21 PM
Cooling Off

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
That may be the case with a lot of larger stadiums that have very little room outside the sidelines american football sidelines
Most(if not all) NFL stadiums, which is where these games would be played(exception being stadiums like the Rose Bowl), can accommodate soccer no problem.
Old 04-11-17, 01:24 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
They're going to call it "Boot the Ball Over the Wall."
Old 04-11-17, 01:49 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Were you posting on there.

It's my favorite board to read because he is such a wreck/basket case.
At one time.......my opinion is no longer welcome on the pages with the purple borders

It appears that pboy/Des is "cooling off" now.

His expressions of disgust, and the response from epanther that said "New username coming in 5....4....3....2...1..." are now gone.
Old 04-11-17, 02:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
No problem. I don't miss 2 solid paragraphs but I understand how you might.
See ya
Old 04-11-17, 02:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Most(if not all) NFL stadiums, which is where these games would be played(exception being stadiums like the Rose Bowl), can accommodate soccer no problem.
You need an extra 6 yards minimum in each direction of width. issues would be in the corners in some places.

Soccer pitches don'e have a standard width, just a minimum and a maximum.
Old 04-11-17, 03:30 PM
All American

Quote:
See ya
Until the next time you somehow miss 2 paragraphs in a post.
Old 04-11-17, 03:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure. IIRC, it wasn't until OSU lowered the field in the 90s that soccer really became a no-go there.

I think you'd have an easier time with pro stadiums simply because a lot of them are built to suit probable World Cup and international soccer matches. The bigger issue will be all the field turf we use.

Cleveland wouldn't have to change much concerning their stadium given it's hosted US soccer before and it's already grass. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a game.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: