Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-28-17, 08:47 PM
All Region

billrodgers is on a distinguished road
April 6 OHSAA set Divisions Fall

Anyone have a prediction/analysis on the cutoffs for cross country?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-17, 09:05 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
300 will be my guess.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-17, 08:52 AM
Varsity

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
I estimate it will be 315 to 320 but hard having so many schools not have preliminary numbers and how many schools didn't get 5 to districts.
Old 03-29-17, 04:32 PM
All Ohio

Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
Is 5 at district used for divisional alignment or just for district to regional qualifying numbers? Whether a team did or did not put 5 on the line at district last year, they still must be assigned a division for the upcoming season. They have to compete somewhere and if so they should be counted.
Old 03-29-17, 07:30 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton's Third View Post
Is 5 at district used for divisional alignment or just for district to regional qualifying numbers? Whether a team did or did not put 5 on the line at district last year, they still must be assigned a division for the upcoming season. They have to compete somewhere and if so they should be counted.
I believe 5 on the line is to determine how many XC teams actually exist. That info is used to determine both the divisions and the qualifying numbers. The schools that have XC but don't have 5 on the line still get assigned to whichever division their enrollment dictates.
Old 03-29-17, 07:47 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
I believe 5 on the line is to determine how many XC teams actually exist. That info is used to determine both the divisions and the qualifying numbers. The schools that have XC but don't have 5 on the line still get assigned to whichever division their enrollment dictates.
I understand but question OHSAA's thought process. If the schools are getting assigned they exist and should be counted. After divisional alignment OHSAA says that there are equal numbers in each division but this could be far off once those without 5 on the line are added in.
Old 03-29-17, 07:57 PM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
my guess is that the divisional cutoffs will slide down. i wouldnt be suprised if the DI cut off was as low as 298
Old 03-29-17, 08:07 PM
Varsity

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I understand but question OHSAA's thought process. If the schools are getting assigned they exist and should be counted. After divisional alignment OHSAA says that there are equal numbers in each division but this could be far off once those without 5 on the line are added in.
I understand your point but problem with that is there would be a lot less full teams in D3 than the other divisions if they still tried to keep equal number of teams in each division. Of course right now there are more schools that have CC runners in D3 than the other two.
Old 03-29-17, 08:45 PM
All Ohio

What do you feel is OHSAA's intent? Just because a school did not have 5 on the line last year does not mean they will not this year. Those schools have to be placed somewhere so why not count all schools who sponsor the sport rather than set up divisions based on guesses. Are they afraid D3 will not be a competitive division with so many partial teams?
Old 03-29-17, 09:38 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
It's a 2 year cycle. Just like a school's enrollment can change, having 5 on the team can also change. It's not like there would be some devious motive. It's just how things work out. I think it makes more sense to use number of teams over number of schools that offer the sport. Roughly 200 teams in each division. It then goes by percentage of teams and each division has roughly the same odds by percentage of teams making it to the state meet. If you went by number of schools that offered the sport, you could have D3 qualifying 30% of teams that actually have 5 runners and D1 qualifying 10%.
Old 03-30-17, 06:59 AM
All District

billcarson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
my guess is that the divisional cutoffs will slide down. i wouldnt be suprised if the DI cut off was as low as 298
I think that would put 5 of the top 6 teams from the 2016 Boy's D2 State
Championship in D1. The Champion would stay in D2.
Old 03-30-17, 07:27 AM
All Ohio

Do you think the current set-up is fair for all teams? I think D1 schools below enrollments of 500 are not on a level playing field. Failing to count schools who sponsor teams bring that lower end number lower possibly below 300 this year. A team not finishing 5 could represent 20% of the top 20 athletes advancing to regional and state but not counted as a team. Counting all teams is not perfect but it helps what I think is the major divisional problem from getting worse.
Old 03-30-17, 07:52 AM
All World

ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarson View Post
I think that would put 5 of the top 6 teams from the 2016 Boy's D2 State
Championship in D1. The Champion would stay in D2.
with all these start up schools and small private schools popping up everywhere, its going to drive the division cutoffs down.
Old 03-30-17, 07:54 AM
All District

Seppo Kaitainen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Do you think the current set-up is fair for all teams? I think D1 schools below enrollments of 500 are not on a level playing field.
I think there are two major disparities. The first is the mega schools vs. the sub 400 schools in D1. If you have 3 times as many kids, you really shouldn't ever lose. People on this board have argued that it's unfair for "D1" schools to be in D2, but the difference in population is no where near as big as in D1.

The other area I see as being unbalanced is smaller catholic schools who can recruit/attract a more athletic population. If both schools are at 200, having a few more athletes makes a big difference.

I think, especially as schools like Berea and Midpark combine their athletic teams, there needs to be a top division for mega schools. I'm not sure what to do about the other problem.
Old 03-30-17, 08:35 AM
Freshman

runner12345 is on a distinguished road
Are the enrollment numbers currently posted based off of all students or just eligible students? Would a school with a large population of international students who are ineligible to compete be at a disadvantage as far as divisions go?
Old 03-30-17, 01:29 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
The fair and I think best solution is a 4th division. We all need to do a better job of stressing to schools and coaches how important it is to get a full team to participate in the district meet.

The issue people had with D1 schools in D2 was how the OHSAA chose to put schools into divisions. Doing it different than all other ohsaa sports and that a School with 315 boys was competing in D2 while a School with 280 was in D1.

I'm just worried about Coventry dropping to D2.
Old 04-06-17, 06:45 AM
Freshman

Spartan1969 is on a distinguished road
Akron Springfield will be D2 in Track and CC Men and Women

The numbers we have, 275 men, 265 Women, puts us in D2 finally in men and women. With a solid crew returning next year in both sports, and finally both being out of D1, should do very well at Championship time. Huge difference from D1 to D2.
Old 04-06-17, 08:51 AM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
The fair and I think best solution is a 4th division. We all need to do a better job of stressing to schools and coaches how important it is to get a full team to participate in the district meet.

The issue people had with D1 schools in D2 was how the OHSAA chose to put schools into divisions. Doing it different than all other ohsaa sports and that a School with 315 boys was competing in D2 while a School with 280 was in D1.

I'm just worried about Coventry dropping to D2.
And Im just as worried about woodridge getting d1'd. Not...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk