Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-28-17, 07:02 AM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is on a distinguished road
Track Week 1/2 Hub: Mret Previews, Predictions, Results.

Well, the season is starting up now. I konda forgot to put one up for last weekend, so I thought to merge that one with week 2. So where were we at last weekend. Where will we be at this weekend. Anybody got important dual meets this week?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-17, 07:17 AM
All Ohio

My Comets have a major dual meet, on Wednesday, opening up the season against Archbishop Hoban high school. Will be a good meet. Hoban has gotten better over the last year, and return most of the cast, so Coventry wont be dismantling them 74-54 again this year. Expecting a thriller. Good, always good to open up thes season with a thriller dual meet, regardless of whether we win or loose. Regardless, I shall dearly like to beat Hoban.

On Friday, the team will be traveling to distant Salem for our first ever appearance at the F.E.Cope Invitational. Anyone want to give a run down on what that invitational is like? The competition?

Old 03-28-17, 10:20 AM
All Region

peebles is on a distinguished road
Coventry: There is usually a mix of smaller, local schools and a few larger schools from northeast Ohio at the Cope. Sometimes you will get schools like Austintown, Warren Harding or a larger Canton area school thrown in the mix. It's hard to tell from year to year who will be there. Salem won the boys meet last year over Mass. Perry in a close one. Lake was third. The Perry girls beat Springfield Local by half a point. Salem boys won the district on this track last year with Poland finishing second and the Comets third. Salem should be strong in all relays, the open 800 and 400, and should have contenders in most sprint events. Not sure about their distance crew this year, but they do have a pair of freshmen who were strong in cross country along with a couple of veterans who should make them somewhat competitive in the 1600 and 3200. A new track has been installed (Finally! The old one was getting pretty ragged.), along with a new turf football field, video scoreboard and various updates to the stadium. Overall, it should be an enjoyable event with plenty of challenges for the Comets. The only problem is parking. Always has been limited, and most people end up parking on city streets. Check past results on baumspage.com for a better idea of the competition over the past years. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I've been there when it's been 70 degrees and when it's been 40 degrees with cold rain. You never know at these early meets!

Last edited by peebles; 03-28-17 at 11:57 AM..
Old 03-28-17, 01:04 PM
All Ohio

Thanks, sounds like fun, I hope my Comets will have an enjoyable day out there. And hopefully we will be able to compete good too. With only 15 returning letter winners from last year, and 47 newcomers and reservists from last year, we will be just looking to figure a few things out in the early season. Hopefully kids will step up and we will have a great day on Friday. I just love invitationals under the Friday night lights!

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 03-29-17 at 07:11 AM..
Old 03-30-17, 10:46 AM
Junior Varsity

MattyJames is on a distinguished road
@CoventryTrackXCguy - Looks like Hoban put a solid whoopin' on you guys. They must be pretty tough. How are your sprinters and jumpers this season?
Old 03-30-17, 03:02 PM
All Ohio

High jump, we are solid, returning a state qualifier from outdoor last season who did a 6'2, and another indoor qualifier from this year who did a 6'1. LJ we return Dusty Burkhart who broke 20'. As for the sprints, our entire state qualifying 4 by 100 from last year returns, they couldnt bring down hoban though. Open 100, we return state qualifying Dusty Burkhart. We return half our state qualifying 4*200. We have to rebuild in the 400's and 800's, and especially hurdles (although the cupboard is by no means empty there, we just need to piece something together). The distance will have to continue to improve.

As for Hoban, I underestimated how ready my team would be to face Hoban. Hoban got tough last year, and returned practically everybody. If they were to drop to d2 this year, they would be a legitimate heavyweight at regionals. We took some graduation hits and will require the early season to piece some things together.

Fortunately, our exploits last year in getting an unprecedented 7 atheletes to states has convinced many newcomers to come out for the team, bringing our roster from 40 to 62. Presumably, we will need to work them into our system. I continue to believe that we have a massive amount of potential. Hopefully this embarrassing loss will inspire my Comets to work hard to not just continue our upward trend over the last few years, but to accelerate it. But our schedule has been pretty well beefed up over the last couple years. Between an ever strengthening ptc metro league, and improvements to our invitational schedule, there are plenty of challenges to continue to keep the comets from getting too complacent (less then 2 weeks before we have to face Woodridge!). Complacency is our number 1 enemy right now.

Old 03-31-17, 09:19 AM
All District

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
High jump, we are solid, returning a state qualifier from outdoor last season who did a 6'2, and another indoor qualifier from this year who did a 6'1. LJ we return Dusty Burkhart who broke 20'. As for the sprints, our entire state qualifying 4 by 100 from last year returns, they couldnt bring down hoban though. Open 100, we return state qualifying Dusty Burkhart. We return half our state qualifying 4*200. We have to rebuild in the 400's and 800's, and especially hurdles (although the cupboard is by no means empty there, we just need to piece something together). The distance will have to continue to improve.

As for Hoban, I underestimated how ready my team would be to face Hoban. Hoban got tough last year, and returned practically everybody. If they were to drop to d2 this year, they would be a legitimate heavyweight at regionals. We took some graduation hits and will require the early season to piece some things together.

Fortunately, our exploits last year in getting an unprecedented 7 atheletes to states has convinced many newcomers to come out for the team, bringing our roster from 40 to 62. Presumably, we will need to work them into our system. I continue to believe that we have a massive amount of potential. Hopefully this embarrassing loss will inspire my Comets to work hard to not just continue our upward trend over the last few years, but to accelerate it. But our schedule has been pretty well beefed up over the last couple years. Between an ever strengthening ptc metro league, and improvements to our invitational schedule, there are plenty of challenges to continue to keep the comets from getting too complacent (less then 2 weeks before we have to face Woodridge!). Complacency is our number 1 enemy right now.

GREAT RESPONSE! Good luck going forward
Old 03-31-17, 09:22 PM
All Ohio

4th place at the Cope. Not ideal, but we are starting to find ourselves. Our 4 by 100 and 4 by 200 did get disqualified, which likely costed us valuable points. We were missing a high jumper. We were uncharacteristicly weak in the 400's. We are experimenting with settling our younger atheletes into their roles, but much work remains in the hurdles and mid distance. Hopefully, we can start to improve there soon.

Old 04-01-17, 02:14 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Coventry your team has all the pieces to have a strong season. Your strength will be in your sprint relays and field points I really like your depth.
Old 04-04-17, 07:47 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:

Great response. Thanks! I'm looking forward to watching your team perform this evening. (My son is a 9th grade sprinter and jumper at Field)
Old 04-04-17, 09:00 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJames View Post
Great response. Thanks! I'm looking forward to watching your team perform this evening. (My son is a 9th grade sprinter and jumper at Field)
Should be a great night. Not too hot, not too cold, if the rain hold off, we'll have perfect racing conditions. Good night for prs for everyone, best of luck to your son. I have much respect for Fields track program, they have been good as far back as I can remember, they gave my senior class (class of 2015) a major challenge, My comets have only been good for the past 3 years. Best of luck to the Falcons this season.

Old 04-04-17, 09:45 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Should be a great night. Not too hot, not too cold, if the rain hold off, we'll have perfect racing conditions. Good night for prs for everyone, best of luck to your son. I have much respect for Fields track program, they have been good as far back as I can remember, they gave my senior class (class of 2015) a major challenge, My comets have only been good for the past 3 years. Best of luck to the Falcons this season.

I appreciate it. Very classy post. Thank you! To my knowledge, Field's T&F program is EXTREMELY young now and there will be a lot of growing pains. I'm just hoping we can stay somewhat competitive for the next year or so. We should be in good shape in a couple of years. I will be hovering around the LJ pit when the boys are jumping (Probably wearing something red that says "Wrestling" lol-) Feel free to stop by and say hello!
Old 04-04-17, 10:20 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJames View Post
We should be in good shape in a couple of years.
I look forward to it. I have a feeling that (pardon my language) sh*t is about to hit the fan in this league, as well. Woodridge will continue to be Woodridge. Coventry should continue to remain strong, and hopefully be capable of contesting Woodridge once more. Streetsboro should continue its dominance in the sprints, and make some gains in the field and distance events as well. Norton and Springfield have shown some improvements, and if they continue their trend, should make for some VERY strong mid-tier teams in the league, if not quite at Woodridges caliber. Cloverleaf may have some potential at distance, Field, Im hoping, will in the next couple years reclaim their former glory-you have the same coach. That leaves Ravenna. They are one school in this league that I feel has the potential to be GOOD, if they could get the right coach, who can get the athletes out and training hard. A ton of untapped potential in their school.

All in all, I have a feeling that the PTC Metro has the potential to become the standard for Northeast Ohio D2 track, and easily the best league in D2 track. Sure the suburban league, the federal league is better, but as far as the d2 track world is concerned, the ptc metro will be where its at. Regardless of how Field places within the league in coming years, be proud that you will be part of such a loaded league, with talent, talent everywhere. Which is good, I like to see my fellow league schools do well, and hopefully make their marks in the postseason. Last year, at Regionals, Woodridge was first, Streetsboro was 3rd, and Coventry was 8th (and would have been better if not for our best hurdler being disqualified at districts-he probably was capable of qualifying to Columbus). I look forward to seeing how the next few years unfold for all of our teams. Should be lit.

I'll see how much I can come out for tonight. As I said before, I was in the class of 2015. Now I'm an engineering student at Akron. So we'll see what I can fit into my schedule. #EngineeringCoarseload.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 04-04-17 at 10:46 AM..
Old 04-04-17, 10:58 PM
All Ohio

Well good meet MattyJames. I see your team is doing quite well in their rebuilding efforts.
I however am getting a little concerned regarding the progress of my comets. Some of their marks...sheesh, I get that its early season, but if we dont shape up soon, especially the sprints that are supposed to be our traditional strength, we can forget about Woodridge, we will struggle to get past Norton, Streetsboro, and quite possibly Springfield as well. With Sibley out recovering from a car accident injury, and other injuries, the top of our roster is pretty well battered. We do not look very impressive. I dearly hope we can pull something together this season, even if it wont be last year. The turnout is up for now, but if we appear too weak for too long, they may go back to baseball, and everything my class and my successors have worked for will be gone. I am a fair bit concerned for the health of the program that my class had poured so much sweat into building. But hopefully this is just early season troubles and my concerns prove unfounded. Well see.