Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-06-07, 02:52 PM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelandMiddie View Post
An interesting article appeared in the Enquirer this morning. The article explains why Middletown's track records have been dropped from this years honor roll and the Top Ten Poll that is published in the Cincinnati paper.
Apparently the coordinator of the area coaches poll, who is named in the article, made the decision. There is no question that Middletown is not a Cincinnati school, however that's not the issue. It's a school that is in a Cincinnati league. The driving distance to the I-275 beltway, where half of the GMC schools are located with the other half further north, is not much farther that the Dayton suburbs. Every other sport from football, basketball and all the way down to tidily winks is listed in a Cincinnati poll.
It looks like the Enquirer sides with Middletown on this one.
I don't think geography is the real issue here. What do you think?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...301/704290399/

Not sure if the bird cage liner is what we want to use as our voice of reason
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-07, 12:03 PM
All Ohio

hubcaphurler is on a distinguished road
Track & Cross Country

O.K. I'll take the bait. Lasalle Lancers coach is a GREAT Coach. He's been there forever; he's a runner himself; and yes, he knows how to motivate young men so that they want to get the most out of themselves.

That story about the Cincinnati Enquirer no longer posting Middletown High School running successes certainly is relevant. It has everything to do with high school running and the paper made the wrong decision in my view.
Old 05-11-07, 12:07 PM
All Ohio

hubcaphurler is on a distinguished road
League Meets

Track & Field League Meet Finals are tonight. We should have lots of stuff to talk about. Can't wait to see the GWOC tonight.
Old 07-19-07, 11:24 PM
Junior Varsity

MHS PAN FAN is on a distinguished road
Any thoughts on the Principles Athletic Conference (PAC 7)for the comming season ???

Who will take the top spots now that Mellhorn graduated?? Who will have the Aces in the league?? Any thoughts??
Old 10-10-07, 05:56 PM
All Region

NextTopMiler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
Russo at LaSalle is the best xcountry coach ever. Every year he produces a state competitor. How does he do it? He must know what he is doing by turning mediocre talent into great talent. When it is said and done he will be the best running coach ever in the State of Ohio and perhaps the Midwest.
try the coach from york high school in Illinois. 25 cc state championships.
Old 04-14-08, 06:06 PM
All World

moemancc
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTopMiler View Post
try the coach from york high school in Illinois. 25 cc state championships.
He wouldn't have that many in Ohio. Just kidding. He might. I dunno much about the depth of the teams in the state, but Ohio has some serious parity.
Old 01-05-09, 12:00 PM
All District

fredzozzer is on a distinguished road
yes, I agree. The enquier sucks and always cheats runners out of it.
Old 01-21-09, 11:27 PM
Freshman

XCand800 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to XCand800
Freshman in highschool i need tips advice etc

I run cross country and the 800 meter indoors my best time in the 800 meters is 2:26 and my best time in cross country is a 20:13. Is thiis good or dense for me since im just a freshman?
Old 01-21-09, 11:33 PM
Freshman

XCand800 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to XCand800
I run cross country and the 800 meters my time in the 800 is 2:26 and my time in cross country is 20:13 i am only a freshman is this good or dense. Feel free to leave advice and tips thanks
Old 01-22-09, 12:36 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
It's not terrible for a freshman... But it isn't really "good."

Your XC time is a pretty good deal better then your 800 time. Depending on what kind of speed you have (What is your 400 time? Maybe even 200 or 100 time????) you might want to bump up in track to the 1600 or even more so the 3200. That said, if you want to stick with the 800 you definitely can by working hard. The 800 is a lot different from XC in the fact that you really do need some "speed" to be good at it.

Based on your XC time, you probably put in a fair share of miles...
For the 800, you should rely a lot more on high intensity shorter workouts then just running a ton of miles... 200 repeats are golden for 800 runners... 6 of them running almost all out is a great place to start. Not too much of a rest. Gradually you will want to run them faster, maybe running 8 of them.
Do that once a week at least... Another day, maybe 400-600 repeats a bit slower, but still moving pretty fast.

For you, it might not even be a bad thing to run some 50's or 150's just to work that speed...

Another day of the week you can do your longer runs... Not like XC though... 3-4 mile run at a decent pace will do. Probably no more then 6 miles.

Mixing in some pyramids (400, 800, 1600, 800, 400) workouts will probably help.

Best thing of all you can do is talk with your coach. If you want to be good, all it takes is hard work... If not the 800, then the 1600 or 3200.......
Old 03-22-09, 01:10 PM
Freshman

TVikes22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCand800 View Post
I run cross country and the 800 meters my time in the 800 is 2:26 and my time in cross country is 20:13 i am only a freshman is this good or dense. Feel free to leave advice and tips thanks
Same thing except 800 time is 2:15 and XC time was 18:15. i am only a freshman is this good or dense. Feel free to leave advice and tips thanks
Old 03-31-09, 09:37 PM
All Region

MinervaMom is on a distinguished road
Hi Ya'll.
Just chirping in---i am down here in (obviously) Minerva and just checking in so I can add my two cents...
Old 08-21-11, 12:12 PM
All Ohio

TWILLKE is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelandMiddie View Post
An interesting article appeared in the Enquirer this morning. The article explains why Middletown's track records have been dropped from this years honor roll and the Top Ten Poll that is published in the Cincinnati paper.
Apparently the coordinator of the area coaches poll, who is named in the article, made the decision. There is no question that Middletown is not a Cincinnati school, however that's not the issue. It's a school that is in a Cincinnati league. The driving distance to the I-275 beltway, where half of the GMC schools are located with the other half further north, is not much farther that the Dayton suburbs. Every other sport from football, basketball and all the way down to tidily winks is listed in a Cincinnati poll.
It looks like the Enquirer sides with Middletown on this one.
I don't think geography is the real issue here. What do you think?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...301/704290399/
Old 12-01-11, 11:02 AM
Junior Varsity

Mr.K is on a distinguished road
K
Old 05-31-12, 09:41 AM
Freshman

Dbedeep is on a distinguished road
in the middle school state meet. He posted times of 207.68 in the 800, 55.8 in the 400 and ran a 54.1 split in the 4x400 relay i would like to know how i would transition that into highschool training as far as training in the summer. i am open to all suggestions.
Old 05-31-12, 09:52 AM
Freshman

Dbedeep is on a distinguished road
I have a kid who ran
Old 05-31-12, 10:17 AM
Cooling Off

twbb is on a distinguished road
Suggestions for your to be freshman son for this summer? Let him be a kid and enjoy the summer.
Old 12-03-13, 06:04 PM
All District

Purple66 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwsam View Post
I am a Huddle escapee and will post more on this forum when it is cross country time.
Left the huddle 2 years ago. Will keep an eye on this come track season.
Old 07-29-15, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

Kyle_E_Woyote is on a distinguished road
I have a question

Hey there, I have an abscure question about a unique accomplishment. I wonder if any of you happen to know of a high school athlete who has won a varsity cross country race, but who has also qualified for the state track meet in a field event?

I don't recall noticing anyone ever doing this, but there must be some out there. But the body types and training can by quite different for distance runners and field event participants.

I ask this, because I did this in while high school. I won one CC race, and qualified for the state meet in the triple jump my Senior year (many moons ago).
Old 07-29-15, 09:38 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_E_Woyote View Post
Hey there, I have an abscure question about a unique accomplishment. I wonder if any of you happen to know of a high school athlete who has won a varsity cross country race, but who has also qualified for the state track meet in a field event?

I don't recall noticing anyone ever doing this, but there must be some out there. But the body types and training can by quite different for distance runners and field event participants.

I ask this, because I did this in while high school. I won one CC race, and qualified for the state meet in the triple jump my Senior year (many moons ago).
Not sure of his HS XC accomplishments but in college one of my teammates was a 1:52 half miler and sub 4:20 miler who also high jumped over 6 ft 8 inches.
Old 07-29-15, 11:33 PM
All Yappi

Kyle_E_Woyote is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
Not sure of his HS XC accomplishments but in college one of my teammates was a 1:52 half miler and sub 4:20 miler who also high jumped over 6 ft 8 inches.
Thanks for the info. He's an outstanding all-around athlete. If you can mention his name, I'll look it up to see if I can find any info from his high school meet results.

With his 4:20 mile time in college, I would figure that he must have won at least one CC race in high school. But then, maybe he had a super teammate who was better.

His 6'8" jump in college is good, but I wonder how high he jumped in high school. Better training techniques in college can really help improvement in the jumping events.

I'll bet he had some long, springy strides when he ran. He probably could have been a good decathlete. That 1:52 half mile, shows he has both speed and endurance.
Old 02-17-17, 08:50 AM
Freshman

LouisvilleGuy100 is on a distinguished road
I hear this big thrower from louisville has a chance at winning state
Old 02-17-17, 08:50 AM
Freshman

LankyLizard is on a distinguished road
LeBron James is the best thing that has happened to Ohio Track since Usain Bolt!
Old 02-17-17, 08:52 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisvilleGuy100 View Post
I hear this big thrower from louisville has a chance at winning state
I heard he trains with wild kangaroos and throws baby bullsharks.
Old 02-17-17, 09:12 AM
All District

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizard View Post
LeBron James is the best thing that has happened to Ohio Track since Usain Bolt!
How so??
Old 02-17-17, 09:15 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTigerTrackCoach View Post
How so??
He has the most touchdowns in the 100 meter butterfly dash.
Old 02-17-17, 10:13 AM
All District

PCTigerTrackCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyLizard View Post
He has the most touchdowns in the 100 meter butterfly dash.
I figured it was a joke... just making sure before I dismantled the argument lol