Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-06-19, 02:47 PM
All Ohio

TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS WRESTLING View Post
??? Get a clue...Myles has been caught one time in his career, and that was by one of the most prolific pinners in NCAA history while going for the TEAM title win in the finals last year with guns-a-blazing. Also, ironic you did not mention Nickal's one loss in NCAA finals to Myles.
He's actually been pinned twice...

Shakur Rasheed is a pinner. If he gives up position and lets a cradle get locked he is getting pinned. Just saying.
Old 02-06-19, 02:58 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakedownFor2 View Post
He's actually been pinned twice...

Shakur Rasheed is a pinner. If he gives up position and lets a cradle get locked he is getting pinned. Just saying.
Twice, in his whole college career...and 1 of those was in the NCAA finals by Nickal.

Rasheed is not going to pin Martin, the bonus points will be going the other way in this match.
Old 02-06-19, 03:00 PM
All Ohio

TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Twice, in his whole college career...and 1 of those was in the NCAA finals by Nickal.

Rasheed is not going to pin Martin, the bonus points will be going the other way in this match.
Listen, I agree. But to say that Rasheed cant pin him or have the skill set to pin him is just silly
Old 02-06-19, 03:05 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakedownFor2 View Post
Listen, I agree. But to say that Rasheed cant pin him or have the skill set to pin him is just silly
Anything is possible, but put a percent chance on Myles getting decked here, 50%? 25%? 10%? 5%? 1%?

I'd go somewhere between 1 and 5 myself. Rasheed is no Nickal.
Old 02-06-19, 03:39 PM
All American

chidy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
125 3-0 (Although this could go the other way and if it does we have no chance to win the dual)
133 6-0 (Even if no RBY, I don't see Pletch getting bonus. See him winning by 5-7 with no RBY. If RBY then I consider this match a toss up.)
141 9-0 (McKenna won in a close match last year on riding time. This is nearly a toss up but I'm leaning towards McKenna)
149 12-0 (Jordan could get a MD here but I'm going conservative)
157 12-4 (Nolf with MD and possibly tech. Hayes got teched by Zain last year at 149)
165 12-8 (Would be great to limit bonus here but I see Campbell having gas tank issues in the 3rd due to the cut)
174 12-11 (Hoping we save a point here. Hall hasn't been smashing guys)
184 15-11 (Myles has been wrestling outstanding this year but not sure he gets major. Think he could but I'm going regular Dec)
197 15-14 (Bo gets a DEC over Moore. Essentially this is the only match I think we could pull out of the 5 that PSU is favored in and I just don't think Moore is on Bo's level)
HVY 15-18 (I think Cassar gets MD here. Singletary isn't a top tier HVY and I think Cassar is WAY more athletic)

If we were to pull out any of the ones we aren't favored in I would think the likelihood goes in the following order (FYI...I'm not predicting any of these to happen)
1. 197
2. 174
3. HVY
4. 165
5. 157

125, 133 (If RBY), & 141 could swing PSU way. If that happens it's obviously a blowout of a 27-6 nature.
Old 02-06-19, 04:37 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Ohio State is No. 6 in the NWCA dual meet poll this week.

The TSR-based rankings have Ohio State at 2 or 3.
Old 02-06-19, 04:47 PM
All Region

innoshape is on a distinguished road
Chidy,
I enjoyed your analysis until HWT, then reality hit.
Just a few predictions I might have more doubts on...
Again, Campbell's questionable gas tank so likely bonus for Joseph even though Joseph not bonus machine lately if I recall correctly.
Hall too savy a veteran for Smith at this point, I would say bonus for Hall.
Kollin v Bo- Cannot fathom a guess:
#10 Eric Shultz from Nebraska held Bo to an 8-6 decision back on Jan.20
So this either means Bo is beatable by say a #2 ranked guy
or Bo is allowed to have a rare bad win.
But I don't think there is a more dangerous P4P wrestler in NCAA than Bo.

Perhaps PSU is due to have a bad day of wrestling. Gets really old watching everything go right for them all of the time.
Old 02-06-19, 07:31 PM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by innoshape View Post
Chidy,
I enjoyed your analysis until HWT, then reality hit.
Just a few predictions I might have more doubts on...
Again, Campbell's questionable gas tank so likely bonus for Joseph even though Joseph not bonus machine lately if I recall correctly.
Hall too savy a veteran for Smith at this point, I would say bonus for Hall.
Kollin v Bo- Cannot fathom a guess:
#10 Eric Shultz from Nebraska held Bo to an 8-6 decision back on Jan.20
So this either means Bo is beatable by say a #2 ranked guy
or Bo is allowed to have a rare bad win.
But I don't think there is a more dangerous P4P wrestler in NCAA than Bo.

Perhaps PSU is due to have a bad day of wrestling. Gets really old watching everything go right for them all of the time.
I watched this one and it was an 8-4 match until 3 seconds left. Just a deceptive two point win.
Old 02-06-19, 07:42 PM
All Ohio

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeFan94 View Post
I think Moore has a real shot at winning the match... He went toe to toe with Jden Cox 2 years ago and outside of the quirky losses last year to Conel hes had realistically not a lot of competition. Hes also the better freestyler (not that it matters in this match). Now I think the safe bet is Nickal, but I really have feeling Moore will beat Nickal at least 1 time this season ( hopefully nationals).
Not a lot of competition other than Conel? It looks like you have not watched Moore wrestle too often. He lost to Cassar and Macchiavello last year before to losing to Conel. Ben Honis also had him on the ropes at CKLV earlier this year.
Old 02-06-19, 08:07 PM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachHoversten View Post
I see 4 "sure wins" for each team, 1 probable win for PSU (197), and 1 toss up (125).

I see it as 5 to 5, but PSU wins with more bonus points, possibly several more points. I could see it being 24 - 15 making it seem worse than it was.

I would love to see Moore beat Nickal but I just don't see it happening...Moore has been beating unranked, .500 and below, wrestlers by regular decision. Admittedly, I have only seen a handful of OSU matches, but every single match I have watched, he came out firing in period 1 and then died off and won 10 - 4 or 9 - 3 or something similar. That won't cut it against Nickal. You will need 3 periods of terrific wrestling and probably at least one set of back points to have a chance.
I have watched almost every match Moore has wrestled this season and read your post and thought I must be watching another wrestler so I went and looked it up. After starting the year with 3 decisions (the closest a 5 point margin) he has bonused in 9 of the last 10 matches including 4 pins and a tech. That said, Im not saying Moore will win. In fact, no outcome would surprise me including Nickal pinning him. Moore is wrestling at an extremely high level right now but Nickal is an all time great.
Old 02-06-19, 09:06 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Here's your Moore / Nickal comparrison from wrestlestat

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/...0302/nickal-bo

Highest ranked wrestler vs Nickal is#22 Christian Brunner, whom he beat 17-6 on 1/25/19
Highest ranked wrestler vs Moore is#15 Jackson Striggow, whom he beat 13-6 & 15-6 on 3/3/18 & 11/30/18

Closest match vs common opponent.
Nickal vs#24 Eric Schultz, DEC 8-6 on 01/20/19
Moore vs #40 Eric Schultz, DEC 3-2 on 12/01/17

Quickest FALL vs Common opponent
Nickal vs #163 Shane Mast, FALL 2:06 on 11/11/18
Moore vs #149 Shane Mast, FALL 1:16 on 11/21/17

No idea what any of this means but, thanks www.wrestlestat.com Cool site when you have an 'inquiry.'
Old 02-06-19, 10:03 PM
All World

bdhof will become famous soon enough
wrestlestat.com is a great site. You can "compare" PSU to tOSU in a dual (or any other dual) and you get every common opponent for every weight. And they give you projections for each match, a 20-13 victory for PSU in this case, with an upset at 133 (RBY over Pletcher). This is all math based stuff, not "rankers" giving their guesses. What the math doesn't take into account is guys who are banged up (RBY, McKenna, Rasheed and Berge).
Old 02-06-19, 10:05 PM
All Ohio

kessen157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
Here's your Moore / Nickal comparrison from wrestlestat

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/...0302/nickal-bo

Highest ranked wrestler vs Nickal is#22 Christian Brunner, whom he beat 17-6 on 1/25/19
Highest ranked wrestler vs Moore is#15 Jackson Striggow, whom he beat 13-6 & 15-6 on 3/3/18 & 11/30/18

Closest match vs common opponent.
Nickal vs#24 Eric Schultz, DEC 8-6 on 01/20/19
Moore vs #40 Eric Schultz, DEC 3-2 on 12/01/17

Quickest FALL vs Common opponent
Nickal vs #163 Shane Mast, FALL 2:06 on 11/11/18
Moore vs #149 Shane Mast, FALL 1:16 on 11/21/17

No idea what any of this means but, thanks www.wrestlestat.com Cool site when you have an 'inquiry.'
Moore beat #24 Schultz 8-3 at Cliff Keen this year
Old 02-06-19, 10:14 PM
All World

BTW, PSU has nearly a 4 year dual win streak going (55 matches I think). This would be considered a huge upset, altho possible if we get the five wins we're favored in. We'd still need to win bonus or pull an upset, both of which would be an uphill battle. This is all possible but unlikely.

Last edited by bdhof; 02-07-19 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-06-19, 11:02 PM
All Ohio

pirateflash07 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm calling it Moore upsetting No Fri in what could be the deciding match.

5-4 Moore Double OT
Old 02-07-19, 10:19 AM
All American

Quote:
BTW, PSU has nearly a 4 year dual win streak going (55 matches I think). This would be considered a huge upset, altho possible if we get the five wins we're favored in. We'd still need to win bonus which is an uphill battle as well. This is all possible but unlikely.
OSU had their best shot last year with Nolf out which allowed Jordan to get the Tech on the back up. That was an 8 point swing. But even with that advantage the Bucks couldn't get it done. A big part of that was PSU riding the heck out of our guys and being the aggressor most of the dual.

Ohio St looked flat this dual with the following happening in losing 19-18

125- Tomasello started slow getting taken down multiple times early on. He did end up with a major but many thought a tech (1pt save for PSU)

133- Pletcher pulled out a tight decision 5-4

141- When McKenna got the W (7-6 on RT) here as the lower ranked wrestler I thought it was a certainty that OSU was going to win. Not so fast my friend (This is a must win for OSU this year but definitely not a given)

149- Hayes looked amazing to start the match getting 2 TD in the 1st period against Zain but then proceeded to give up 19 unanswered points (Ridden for 3:19). I believe he gave up the tech right at the end too (+1 for PSU based on fact that I believe Hayes could have kept it to a major)

157- M. Jordan with the Tech on the backup

165- Joseph MD on Campbell (I see a similar result this time around too)

174- 3rd period TD and 1:40 in RT was the difference in this match that ended up 6-4 (6pt swing bout in PSU favor)

184- Martin gave up the MD in the last few seconds (+1 for PSU)

197- Moore got dominated by Cassar (This match is the one no one expected at the time with Moore being ranked #1 and ended up being the nail in OSU's coffin) (6pt swing in PSU favor)

HVY- Nevills didn't back down from Snyder and held it to a decision (1pt save for PSU)

I attended this dual and the atmosphere was electric and the best I've been in for wrestling (I don't have a huge sample size but I've been to London, Rio, Vegas World Championships, & last years NCAA Championships)

Ohio State looked mostly flat the entire night. Hopefully with a sold out St. John's and the Buckeye faithful behind them OSU can find the type of energy that PSU had last year and that the Nittany Lions are the ones that come out flat this time.
Old 02-07-19, 10:38 AM
Varsity

witch doctor is an unknown quantity at this point
Question. Why did Jordan go down in weight class from last year ?
Answer. Nolf
Old 02-07-19, 10:50 AM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by witch doctor View Post
Answer. Nolf
Do you blame him? Pantaleo tried the same thing and couldnt make the weight. If youre a good senior at 157 and you didnt try and make 149 you were doing it wrong.
Old 02-07-19, 10:58 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by witch doctor View Post
Answer. Nolf
Duh. He has a shot to win it now. lol. Plus he went 157 for the team last year with the late wrestle off of Hayes/McKenna with the loser was going to go 149 so he went 157. With Zain graduating it opened things up at 149 for the title.

Here's Jordan's progression of weight classes during his time at OSU
True FR: 157
RS FR: 141(R12)
RS SO: 149 (AA- 4th)
RS JR: 157 (AA- 6th)
RS SR: 149 (Ranked #3 by Intermat)
Old 02-07-19, 11:15 AM
Varsity

Tigers_Wrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
125: 3-0
133: 6-0
141: 9-0
149: 13-0
157: 13-5
165: 13-9
174: 13-13
184: 16-13
197: 16-16
HWT: 16-19

Will take atleast one upset, and some guys not giving up bonus points, but it does look possible. Hayes, Campbell, Smith, and Moore will need to not gas at the end of matches and give up bonus points. Would love to see Kollin come with the upset, but I just don't see it as a great matchup for him (or anyone else for that matter), and he had a rough go of it with Cassar last season. And I have been reading that Shak isn't wrestling, which would be huge if Myles could get bonus points.

If there was ever a time for the Buckeyes to show up, it's this dual. They have to know National Championship is a long shot, this is much more achievable IMO.
Old 02-07-19, 12:34 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidy View Post
Duh. He has a shot to win it now. lol. Plus he went 157 for the team last year with the late wrestle off of Hayes/McKenna with the loser was going to go 149 so he went 157. With Zain graduating it opened things up at 149 for the title.

Here's Jordan's progression of weight classes during his time at OSU
True FR: 157
RS FR: 141(R12)
RS SO: 149 (AA- 4th)
RS JR: 157 (AA- 6th)
RS SR: 149 (Ranked #3 by Intermat)
Mic actually made it down to 49 by the end of his true frosh yr
Old 02-07-19, 12:40 PM
All Region

CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_Wrestling View Post
125: 3-0
133: 6-0
141: 9-0
149: 13-0
157: 13-5
165: 13-9
174: 13-13
184: 16-13
197: 16-16
HWT: 16-19

Will take atleast one upset, and some guys not giving up bonus points, but it does look possible. Hayes, Campbell, Smith, and Moore will need to not gas at the end of matches and give up bonus points. Would love to see Kollin come with the upset, but I just don't see it as a great matchup for him (or anyone else for that matter), and he had a rough go of it with Cassar last season. And I have been reading that Shak isn't wrestling, which would be huge if Myles could get bonus points.

If there was ever a time for the Buckeyes to show up, it's this dual. They have to know National Championship is a long shot, this is much more achievable IMO.
I don't see Moore winning either, but to be fair, Nickal and Cassar are two very different wrestlers. I would argue that Moore actually matches up better (style wise) with Nickal than he does Cassar.

Nickal and Nolf have both admitted as such that they give up takedowns in the interest of being aggressive and scrambling...they aren't afraid to give up 2, which is Moore's specialty (takedown machine typically).

Cassar is just a beast of a man, similar to Kyle Conel was....that just doesn't matchup with Moore stylistically.
Old 02-07-19, 01:56 PM
Varsity

Tigers_Wrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Is the reporter just throwing a little jab at OSU at the end of the article calling them #6 OSU?

Or is there a ranking out there that has them 6? I have seen all 2s and one 3 (after losing to scUM).
I saw NCAA wrestling share a photo of the top 5 and OSU was not one of them.
Old 02-07-19, 03:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_Wrestling View Post
I saw NCAA wrestling share a photo of the top 5 and OSU was not one of them.
The NWCA dual meet rankings have tOSU 6th behind 5 undefeated teams. tOSU is 2nd in all tournament rankings.

Last edited by bdhof; 02-07-19 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 03:50 PM
All World

The other venues that do dual rankings have tOSU 5th (Intermat and Wrestler Insider Magazine) and 6th (The Open Mat).
Old 02-07-19, 06:51 PM
All Ohio

If Moore actually comes after Nickal, Nickal will pin him. If he is passive then he may be able to hold him to a decision, but most likely a major. Either way, a dominate performance by Nickal over a very overrated Moore.
Old 02-07-19, 07:13 PM
All District

standup is on a distinguished road
Moore is as good as they come when focused.
And he's ready to go. He has a great chance to win that match tomorrow.
Moore can stop funk; he's that kind of an athlete and thats why it will be a very close match
Old 02-07-19, 07:33 PM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling125 View Post
If Moore actually comes after Nickal, Nickal will pin him. If he is passive then he may be able to hold him to a decision, but most likely a major. Either way, a dominate performance by Nickal over a very overrated Moore.
Hes a 2x Big Ten Champ. 2x All-American - Finishing Top 4 both years. Also has lost less than 5 matches each of those seasons... yeah, youre right, overrated
Old 02-07-19, 08:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro Fan View Post
Hes a 2x Big Ten Champ. 2x All-American - Finishing Top 4 both years. Also has lost less than 5 matches each of those seasons... yeah, youre right, overrated
He was very good in 2017 but has declined since then. OSU fans act as if he is a god. He has never made the NCAA finals and got his butt kicked multiple times last year. Tomorrow will add to that resume of losses.
Old 02-07-19, 08:18 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
He might have declined last yr based on his trajectory from the previous yr but no one ever said he is like a snyderman err god. He has a pretty darngood yr going with a silver 23 world medal to boot. Will he beat bo? Prolly not but I’m rooting hard for him! Go for it Kollin!
I’m sure if he were a Hawkeye you’d be drooling over him.
I’m excited for this dual. We have been spoiled seeing some great teams coming here matched up with our pretty darn good squads. Win or lose I’ll be cheering them on! Go bux break the streak!