Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-03-19, 12:12 PM
All District

braves1431 is on a distinguished road
State Duals

Anyone know when they will be releasing the seeds?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-19, 03:18 PM
All Region

wlpdrpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by braves1431 View Post
In past years it was the Tuesday before State. However, in those years the Regional was completed on a Wednesday giving them 6 days to get the seeds together. This year it may be later in the week given that the Regionals were on the Saturday.

Best guess is late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

However, they may wait for Borofan's report before releasing. JK

I understand from a reliable source that the seeds are based on the number of returning state champs, then top 4 placers, then placers, then state qualifiers, then alternates, then district qualifiers, common opponents, and finally head to head. Each of these are assigned descending values and applied to each team, then the teams are seeded in order of their points.

As such, it should be fairly easy to compute or estimate the seeds based on the details found on jakeswrestling.com.
Old 02-03-19, 04:18 PM
All District

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-03-19, 05:28 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlpdrpat View Post
As such, it should be fairly easy to compute or estimate the seeds based on the details found on jakeswrestling.com.
So...when will you be posting the seeds?
Old 02-03-19, 05:45 PM
All Ohio

white_chocolate is on a distinguished road
I think that was the old way, when teams only qualified based on post-season results from the year before. I think now they have a committee that votes on seeds this week.
Old 02-03-19, 06:10 PM
All Region

Latman is on a distinguished road
My predictions. 3 and 4 could swap.

1. LaSalle
2. St. Ed’s
3. Brecksville
4. Elyria
5. Wadsworth
6. Mason
7. Dublin Coffman
8. Lancaster
Old 02-03-19, 06:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
So...when will you be posting the seeds?
My best estimate based on the criteria as I understand it:

D1:
(LaSalle & St. Ed's are even on placers and qualifiers but LaSalle just edges them based on placement of placers)

1. LaSalle
2. St. Ed’s
3. Wadsworth
4. Brecksville
5. Elyria
6. Mason
7. Lancaster
8. Dublin Coffman

D2:

1. Graham
2. Aurora
3. Beaver
4. Indian Valley
5. West Holmes
6. Ross
7. Perkins
8. London

D3:

1. Genoa
2. Rootstown
3. Milan Edison
4. Crestwood
5. Blanchester
6. Versailles
7. Pleasant
8. River Valley

Blanchester & Versailles are even on criteria. Pleasant & River Valley are even on criteria.

Last edited by wlpdrpat; 02-04-19 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-03-19, 06:19 PM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latman View Post
My predictions. 3 and 4 could swap.

1. LaSalle
2. St. Edís
3. Brecksville
4. Elyria
5. Wadsworth
6. Mason
7. Dublin Coffman
8. Lancaster
I would swap 3 & 4 seeing Elyria out placed Brecksville at Ironman & Beast of the East. While Brecksville finished higher than Elyria at its home tournament by only a half of a point.
Old 02-03-19, 06:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
I would swap 3 & 4 seeing Elyria out placed Brecksville at Ironman & Beast of the East. While Brecksville finished higher than Elyria at its home tournament by only a half of a point.
Tournament strength and duals strength are different animals. Duals strength includes the ability to bump up where necessary and the depth to cover.
Old 02-03-19, 08:41 PM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tournament strength and duals strength are different animals. Duals strength includes the ability to bump up where necessary and the depth to cover.
Elyria is ranked higher nationally also
Old 02-03-19, 09:39 PM
Freshman

WrestlingLIFE17 is on a distinguished road
Beaver local will be seeded higher than Indian Valley
Old 02-03-19, 09:58 PM
All District

gableminded is on a distinguished road
D2 top 4
Graham
Beaver
Aurora
Perkins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-19, 10:25 PM
All Region

GWF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
Looks like Brecksville could be the slightly better dual team. Since this is a dual tournament, I would think thatís what they will be looking at. At the end of the day, one seed gets you a dual with Lasalle and the other a dual with St. Ed. Pick your poison
Old 02-03-19, 11:10 PM
All American

chidy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWF View Post
Looks like Brecksville could be the slightly better dual team. Since this is a dual tournament, I would think that’s what they will be looking at. At the end of the day, one seed gets you a dual with Lasalle and the other a dual with St. Ed. Pick your poison
Whoever gets the #4 has no easy match in the quarters as Wadsworth is very very good.

Last edited by chidy; 02-03-19 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 12:58 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrestlingLIFE17 View Post
Beaver local will be seeded higher than Indian Valley
You are correct. That was a transcription error.

Beaver has 4 returning state qualifiers with 3 placers.
Indian Valley has 4 returning state qualifiers with 1 placer.
Old 02-04-19, 01:12 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by gableminded View Post
D2 top 4
Graham
Beaver
Aurora
Perkins
Graham - 6SQ/6P
Aurora - 5SQ/4P
Beaver - 4SQ/3P
Indian Valley - 4SQ/1P
West Holmes - 2SQ/2P
Ross - 1SQ/3 Alt
Perkins - 2SQ
London - 0

West Holmes may edge out Indian Valley with the 2 placers, however, Indian Valley has multiple time qualifiers. Perkins may edge out Ross with 2 qualifiers - this one will be very close.
Old 02-04-19, 02:58 AM
All Region

Quote:
The official details of when the OHSAA will release the seeds is as follows:

"Pairings will be available Tuesday, February 5, 2:00 PM, on the
OHSAA website."
Old 02-04-19, 07:48 AM
All Ohio

speedthatkills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Graham - 6SQ/6P
Aurora - 5SQ/4P
Beaver - 4SQ/3P
Indian Valley - 4SQ/1P
West Holmes - 2SQ/2P
Ross - 1SQ/3 Alt
Perkins - 2SQ
London - 0

West Holmes may edge out Indian Valley with the 2 placers, however, Indian Valley has multiple time qualifiers. Perkins may edge out Ross with 2 qualifiers - this one will be very close.
As you stated earlier, duals are much different than tournaments. Because of this I would likely slot Ross ahead of West Holmes. Their dual strength speaks for itself making it to the final 4 multiple times despite having a very low seed. They used 21 wrestlers this past weekend to get the matchups they wanted.
Old 02-04-19, 08:21 AM
All District

We wrestled both in the dual and I would say West Holmes is definitely better. I have no dog in the fight, just what I saw.
Old 02-04-19, 08:29 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
We wrestled both in the dual and I would say West Holmes is definitely better. I have no dog in the fight, just what I saw.
Based on the lineup you saw at that point in the season I would agree. Overall score was closer with Ross than WH. Who knows if we even get to see it though.
Old 02-04-19, 09:09 AM
All District

Yes, I guess we will see. Regardless, congratulations to all teams that qualified! Gonna be fun!
Old 02-04-19, 09:24 AM
All Region

Quote:
I have no dog in the fight, just what I saw.
Hmmm...you certainly do have a dog in the fight as it very likely determines who your team wrestles in the first round.

Of course, the Ross lineup that you are speaking of is significantly different than the one that wrestled this past weekend.

However, just the 2 forfeits shifting in Ross' favor would have been sufficient to tie the match vs IV. Then just one more of the several close matches shifting in the other direction and voila.

Of course, the road to the finals this year isn't through the top half of the bracket as you can bet that Graham will have that side covered. The real dog fight will be for second.
Old 02-04-19, 09:48 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Yes, I guess we will see. Regardless, congratulations to all teams that qualified! Gonna be fun!
Yep, at this point it is all speculation anyway. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when the discussions are had. Seems like they seed based on tournament potential and not dual strength which is a shame. Either way it will be another great weekend. Lots of detractors about the event but I enjoy it every time.
Old 02-04-19, 10:56 AM
All District

[QUOTE=wlpdrpat;7246455]Hmmm...you certainly do have a dog in the fight as it very likely determines who your team wrestles in the first round.

I meant I donít have a dog in the fight as far as who deserves the higher seed. Makes no difference whatsoever to me and I wasnít aware of the seeding criteria until someone posted it. As far as that dual being close, it obviously was not. I definitely do not mean any disrespect to the Ross team. They are good wrestlers. But Indian Valley beat them by 24 with three backups in the lineup. I donít know who is usually in Rossí lineup. Iím sure it will be different, but IVís will also be improved. I am assuming you are with Ross but either way good luck at state! You guys definitely have a nice team.
Old 02-04-19, 11:06 AM
All World

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Speaking for D1 only. I think most of us with some knowledge of wrestling could have predicted to 8 teams. Yes, anything can happen. The number of FF was shocking. Frankly why enter?

I know I will get slammed (like normal for expressing my views) but I am not a fan of the state duals. Last week Chidy brought up why the "old" system where returning state points doesn't work anymore. He is right. Transfers (maybe we have that under control now and will see less and less of kids jumping schools or coaches recruiting kids) and incoming Freshman studs make a difference. I don't have an answer but I guess we have what we have in place for now. I do like the 1 day event.
Old 02-04-19, 11:10 AM
All District

I love the duals but I don’t know why you would get slammed for having an opinion against it ��

Last edited by braves1431; 02-04-19 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-04-19, 11:46 AM
All Region

Latman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post
Speaking for D1 only. I think most of us with some knowledge of wrestling could have predicted to 8 teams. Yes, anything can happen. The number of FF was shocking. Frankly why enter?

I know I will get slammed (like normal for expressing my views) but I am not a fan of the state duals. Last week Chidy brought up why the "old" system where returning state points doesn't work anymore. He is right. Transfers (maybe we have that under control now and will see less and less of kids jumping schools or coaches recruiting kids) and incoming Freshman studs make a difference. I don't have an answer but I guess we have what we have in place for now. I do like the 1 day event.
I agree that most could have predicted the winners of the regions (specifically D1). I believe only one D1 final was within a match of going the other way Reg 7 (Mason 37 Harrison 31) (Baumspage has the wrong score at 41-27). If that is the case, with most knowing, this is in large part based off of this years results, should we take the rankings of a Bucksman, Boro, etc. and pick the top 16 and have a 1 day team state event? Also knowing only the top 3 or 4 have a chance at winning it most years...

Or, is it beneficial to have the regions and invite all to the regional so they can experience the atmosphere and get a match or 2 in, knowing they don't have a chance to win it?

I can see where a 1 day event to settle the top 16 would be advantageous from a scheduling standpoint, but I also see where all teams having the experience of a regional would be appealing to some. Thoughts?
Old 02-04-19, 11:54 AM
All World

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Latman I don't have the answer. I would like to go back to the old system. Returning state points. Chidy brought up good points but to me, that was the best way. 1 day top 8 teams. IF and this is a BIG IF, if the transfer rule holds back some of these transfers the only part missing would be incoming STUD Freshman. In reality, how many place at state? My guess is very few in D1 (except lower weights 06-20) I may be wrong. I'm not sure anyone has a plan in place that everyone would accept.
Old 02-04-19, 11:59 AM
All District

gableminded is on a distinguished road
Aurora and beaver local will be very interesting some big match ups at 106, 138, 145, 152 and 160. The winner of that will at least make it interesting with SPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-19, 12:32 PM
Freshman

Stranger2101 is on a distinguished road
Beavers win it all!! Lol !! good luck to all the kids coaches and teams!