Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-03-19, 01:40 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
good luck guys

hopefully your kid wins junior high states so tom ryan can start recruiting your kid next year!
Old 02-03-19, 01:52 PM
Freshman

216 4 Life is on a distinguished road
Cheaters

Great institutions would never accept kids who were ever held back. Look at Iowa. My mentor Gable would not allow it and neither would my best friends the Brands. Look how bad the holdbacks are getting. This is a St Ed's basketball player, but how old is this senior? 30?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Meechie.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	2781  
Old 02-03-19, 02:10 PM
Varsity

Goalsetting is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
Do what ever you want with your kid, just don't break the rules, or is that too much to ask?
What rules are being broken?
Old 02-03-19, 02:31 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalsetting View Post
What rules are being broken?
OAC only allows an individual to compete 1 time per grade.
Old 02-03-19, 07:21 PM
All Region

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
OAC only allows an individual to compete 1 time per grade.
Not true. You can compete in D4 in 5th, 6th and 6th again if held back depending on your birthdate.
Old 02-03-19, 07:27 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
Not true. You can compete in D4 in 5th, 6th and 6th again if held back depending on your birthdate.
I took that to mean, one time per grade in JH, since the thread was about JH? Correct?
Old 02-03-19, 10:20 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
I took that to mean, one time per grade in JH, since the thread was about JH? Correct?
I canít tell you about Jr. High. I took the statement at face value and it is incorrect.
Old 02-03-19, 10:29 PM
Varsity

moose1818 is on a distinguished road
Here is an ideal why dont people just mind their own damn business and worry about your own? Tell your kids to sack up and make it happen!! This is the problem with this country too many people worry about things they dont need to! People who live in glass houses need not cast the first stone!!
Old 02-03-19, 11:20 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not true, you can only compete in grade school oac twice as a 6th grader if you were a young 5th grader and was in D3 as a 5th grader. You can only compete in D4 twice.

And as for JH, you can only compete once per grade level which is why most hold back on 6th and they don’t compete at oac JH their “first” 6th grade year.
Old 02-04-19, 06:03 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Not true, you can only compete in grade school oac twice as a 6th grader if you were a young 5th grader and was in D3 as a 5th grader. You can only compete in D4 twice.
Iím not going to name any names but J personally know a young man who is wrestling D4 for the 3rd year. His family is very well known, so itís not somebody sneaking by. They are also very good people who are operating within the existing rules.
Old 02-04-19, 07:49 AM
All District

LucMurphy134 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
No.
How many 'states' are attending?

Olympic Champ
National champ
State Champ
Olympics = many countries, and many games (sports)
Nationals = 1 country, but multiple championships, multiple champions
States = 1 state, but multiple championships, multiple champions

Olympic Games = shortened to Olympics
National Championships = shortened to Nationals
State Championships = shortened to States

• NCAA Basketball plays a National Championship game because 1 winner.
  • NCAA Football plays a National Championship game because 1 winner.
  • NCAA Wrestling competes in the National Championships because 10 champions.

- A High School State Champion competed in the State Championships (or the States) because 14 champions.
    - An Olympic Champion competed in the Olympic games therefore he/she competed in the Olympics

Am I the only one that see this?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills
Old 02-04-19, 08:04 AM
All District

The Emmy Awards = The Emmys
The Academy Awards = The Oscars
The Espy Awards - The Espys.....
Old 02-04-19, 08:21 AM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucMurphy134 View Post
Olympics = many countries, and many games (sports)
Nationals = 1 country, but multiple championships, multiple champions
States = 1 state, but multiple championships, multiple champions

Olympic Games = shortened to Olympics
National Championships = shortened to Nationals
State Championships = shortened to States

• NCAA Basketball plays a National Championship game because 1 winner.
  • NCAA Football plays a National Championship game because 1 winner.
  • NCAA Wrestling competes in the National Championships because 10 champions.

- A High School State Champion competed in the State Championships (or the States) because 14 champions.
    - An Olympic Champion competed in the Olympic games therefore he/she competed in the Olympics

Am I the only one that see this?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills
No.
Old 02-04-19, 08:33 AM
All District

galewrestling is on a distinguished road
I am so glad we have the internet so people can just argue all the time..
Old 02-04-19, 09:14 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Iím not going to name any names but J personally know a young man who is wrestling D4 for the 3rd year. His family is very well known, so itís not somebody sneaking by. They are also very good people who are operating within the existing rules.
I stand corrected. D4 used to be just like D1 through D3 and it was based on only 2 "birth years". They have now switched it to "coincide with JH age rage" according to their own rule book. This must have happened within the last 2 years as this was not the case when my son was in D4.

It is now technically possible to be in D4 for 3 years, I believe OAC went the "wrong way" on this one just like OSHAA did a few years ago by letting almost 20 year olds compete, but that's just one opinion.
Old 02-04-19, 09:27 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
I stand corrected. D4 used to be just like D1 through D3 and it was based on only 2 "birth years". They have now switched it to "coincide with JH age rage" according to their own rule book. This must have happened within the last 2 years as this was not the case when my son was in D4.

It is now technically possible to be in D4 for 3 years, I believe OAC went the "wrong way" on this one just like OSHAA did a few years ago by letting almost 20 year olds compete, but that's just one opinion.

I believe they changed the rule this year to allow 6th graders with birthdays after Aug 1, 2005 to compete in D4...in other words, kids who recently turned 13, but are not yet in 7th grade. So essentially D4 is 11 -13 1/2 years old, but still 6th grade and under.

The way the ages and grades break down, there are many of kids who's birthday fall in the first 1/2 of the year, that are not delayed start kids or holdbacks, only get 1 year in D4 eligibility- their 11 year old - 6th grade year

JH remains grades 6-8 , can only participate 3 years and can't compete 2 years in the same grade.

Last edited by LucMurphy134; 02-04-19 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-05-19, 12:44 PM
All District

CoachKerry is on a distinguished road
Itís not by itself against any rules to have held your kid back for whatever reason you want. Maybe one day it will be but today itís not. So letís all agree on this: If youíve made the decision to NOT hold little Johnny back, can we assume youíll also agree not to cry and complain about the fact that he will be wrestling kids at least a year older than him? Just a thought. Iím not saying you shouldnít lobby Jude to do more to prevent a 15 year old 8th grader from competing, I just think harrassing parents about how they want to raise their kids because it creates a convenient excuse for your own wrestlerís shortcomings is not just morally wrong but it probably is a detriment to your own childís upbringing.
Old 02-05-19, 01:00 PM
All District

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKerry View Post
Itís not by itself against any rules to have held your kid back for whatever reason you want. Maybe one day it will be but today itís not. So letís all agree on this: If youíve made the decision to NOT hold little Johnny back, can we assume youíll also agree not to cry and complain about the fact that he will be wrestling kids at least a year older than him? Just a thought. Iím not saying you shouldnít lobby Jude to do more to prevent a 15 year old 8th grader from competing, I just think harrassing parents about how they want to raise their kids because it creates a convenient excuse for your own wrestlerís shortcomings is not just morally wrong but it probably is a detriment to your own childís upbringing.
So, what if you believe it is morally wrong to hold children back for sports and it has nothing to do with your own child.
Old 02-05-19, 04:50 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Hmm, you must be reading a different thread, this one is about how many times may a kid compete in the Jr high OAC state tournament.
Old 02-05-19, 07:24 PM
Junior Varsity

Mbelcher14 is on a distinguished road
So you punish a kid for his parent’s choices?? Also if it’s with in the rules then why is this still ongoing topic??
Old 02-06-19, 01:28 AM
All American

Maple Stang is on a distinguished road
Sadly, this just continues to hurt our great sport.......
Old 02-06-19, 09:56 AM
All Ohio

TheStuff142 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It’s not by itself against any rules to have held your kid back for whatever reason you want. Maybe one day it will be but today it’s not. So let’s all agree on this: If you’ve made the decision to NOT hold little Johnny back, can we assume you’ll also agree not to cry and complain about the fact that he will be wrestling kids at least a year older than him? Just a thought. I’m not saying you shouldn’t lobby Jude to do more to prevent a 15 year old 8th grader from competing, I just think harrassing parents about how they want to raise their kids because it creates a convenient excuse for your own wrestler’s shortcomings is not just morally wrong but it probably is a detriment to your own child’s upbringing.
I'd like to think you are playing devils advocate here, but I doubt it. This is so patronizing.

One could make the counter argument that holding your kid back is just a way of telling them they are not good enough so we have to hold you back.
Old 02-06-19, 12:13 PM
All American

MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStuff142 View Post
I'd like to think you are playing devils advocate here, but I doubt it. This is so patronizing.

One could make the counter argument that holding your kid back is just a way of telling them they are not good enough so we have to hold you back.
Great reply. I was a bit stunned by his comments. I felt there were SO many things wrong with the comments, on so many levels, i did not even know where to begin.
Old 02-06-19, 12:21 PM
Varsity

BigArlie8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Great comment about not being good enough, I think that is why there are so many kids with anxiety and depression. I know for a fact my son would have disowned me had I held him back for a sport. Most kids don't want to be in school any more than they have to so why put your kid through an extra year or two. It all comes down to hard work and attitude. Parents really are getting in the way of this great sport because they want little Timmy to get a scholarship
Old 02-06-19, 01:37 PM
All Ohio

speedthatkills is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Agree completely. If you are holding a kid back for sports there are much bigger issues in play.
Old 02-06-19, 10:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedthatkills View Post
Agree completely. If you are holding a kid back for sports there are much bigger issues in play.
I couldnít agree more.
Old 02-07-19, 12:05 AM
All District

CoachKerry is on a distinguished road
Quote:

No. Itís not your kid, not your responsibility. If you believe itís a detriment to the psychology of the kid to hold them back because it sends the message that ďthey arenít good enoughĒ then donít do it to your kid. But itís become clear to me that parents of the opponents of kids held back are making arguments like that or crying that itís happening at all as a way to avoid confronting the true reasons for coming up short. And it gets nasty. Iíve seen the dad of a losing junior high wrestler scream from the stands at the kid that he is too old. Thatís not cool.
Old 02-07-19, 01:47 AM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
I name a lot of kids that were "older"

and were very successful ohio wrestlers on the college level i can come up with about 20 of them. I don't see how this is crippling to any kid. I think the problem is the parents complaining when their kid gets beat by one of these guys.
Old 02-08-19, 11:00 AM
All Ohio

You say nobody is allowed to have an opinion about it because it is the parents right to choose. I could not disagree more...Anyone can have an opinion on it. They CAN yell at a tournament...like a complete idiot...or they can engage in civil conversation about things that ARE good for our sport and things that ARE NOT good for the sport. If you think holding kids back is good for the sport...then you might be part of the problem with youth sports today.

I don't have a dog in this fight. My boys were not hold backs...have done decent for themselves. I could not even name more than 1 or 2 holdbacks if I had to...nor do I really care. I am far from crying about it. I just think saying it's the parents choice end of story you bunch of crybabies is a weak argument in favor of it.

Neither side is right

Same post comes up every year about the same time of year. Most of the people that start them are upset their kid lost to or will have to face an older wrestler who was held back....absolutely. That is just the vocal group that has issue with hold backs. I think there is another group who just think it is bad for the grester good of our sport. I fall into the latter of the 2. I'm allowed to have my thoughts/ideas on the subject.
Old 02-08-19, 11:02 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
and were very successful ohio wrestlers on the college level i can come up with about 20 of them. I don't see how this is crippling to any kid. I think the problem is the parents complaining when their kid gets beat by one of these guys.
This thread is not about college wrestlers where all the physical and mental things are evened out for the most part. This post was discussing Jr. High and High School where there is considerable age and maturity differences.