Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-01-19, 09:43 AM
Freshman

Boomerang456 is on a distinguished road
OAC junior high - ineligibility

OAC rules state that a wrestler can not wrestle for the same grade 2 years in a row. If a kid was an 8th grader last year and wrestled at OAC States and then got held back this year, they can not qualify.

What is done to ensure that kids aren't signing up for districts or trying to "sneak past" this rule?

Is this a newer rule and if so, what are your thoughts on it?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-19, 09:57 AM
All District

mustangfaithful is on a distinguished road
its not a new rule, and they will be caught! happens every year.
Old 02-01-19, 10:05 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangfaithful View Post
its not a new rule, and they will be caught! happens every year.
This...

not a new rule, and trust me, there are plenty of "those" parents that "know" who was held back and will send said kids name to Jude.

I think OAC is the reason so many hold their kids back in 6th grade rather than 8th. I maybe wrong, never went through that 'process' so can't say I know the mindset.
Old 02-01-19, 12:14 PM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Why didn’t you just throw the kids names out cause I know you want to. Why do so many people care if parents and kids decide to hold there kids back. We get it some 15 year old kid beat your little 12 year old and it’s not fair. Well wait till he is in high school and a 19 year old is kidding little billy’s butt or better yet if little Billy becomes good enough to wrestle in college and guys are 24/25 years old wrestling your little 18 year old kid. That’s what I’m dealing with and it’s just not fair. Kids red shirting and holding back. Stop crying about the hold backs and get you kid better or find a new sport. Every year someone creates a new name to bash a hold back who cheating at Philo, OAC , or some other dual. Tell your get kid to get stronger with better wrestling skill and go and beat that hold back. Then you can go get your bumper sticker for your car that says my kid beat a hold back.
Old 02-01-19, 12:23 PM
Freshman

IOWNCHRIS is on a distinguished road
No age limits

Correct. There should be no age limits at all. Hold Billy back five or six years let him wrestle 8th grade at 25 years old. He will probably still be living in the basement until he is 50 anyways. Who cares if he can become a productive part of society as long as he won a jr. high state championship. We should even let the people that identify as eighth graders wrestle too. I am 28 and I identify as a 14 year old, sign me up for districts.
Old 02-01-19, 12:42 PM
Freshman

Wrestlingmaster123 is on a distinguished road
Any Idea what weight Trinski is going at state?
Old 02-01-19, 12:49 PM
Freshman

highelbow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
Why didnít you just throw the kids names out cause I know you want to. Why do so many people care if parents and kids decide to hold there kids back. We get it some 15 year old kid beat your little 12 year old and itís not fair. Well wait till he is in high school and a 19 year old is kidding little billyís butt or better yet if little Billy becomes good enough to wrestle in college and guys are 24/25 years old wrestling your little 18 year old kid. Thatís what Iím dealing with and itís just not fair. Kids red shirting and holding back. Stop crying about the hold backs and get you kid better or find a new sport. Every year someone creates a new name to bash a hold back who cheating at Philo, OAC , or some other dual. Tell your get kid to get stronger with better wrestling skill and go and beat that hold back. Then you can go get your bumper sticker for your car that says my kid beat a hold back.
Old 02-01-19, 01:43 PM
All Ohio

Campolongo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
This...

not a new rule, and trust me, there are plenty of "those" parents that "know" who was held back and will send said kids name to Jude.

I think OAC is the reason so many hold their kids back in 6th grade rather than 8th. I maybe wrong, never went through that 'process' so can't say I know the mindset.
I might be mistaken, but I believe the OHSAA eligibility regulations says that a student-athlete is given 6 years of eligibility from 7th-12th grade. From my understanding, even if participating at club level, the student-athlete's "clock" starts once they begin 7th grade.

If I'm correct, I would say this would the driving force behind the 6th grade hold-backs. A number of years ago, many repeated 8th grade and I believe at that time, OHSAA only examined 9th-12th grade as saying each student-athlete had 4 years of eligibility.
Old 02-01-19, 01:45 PM
All Region

Iroquois is on a distinguished road
Don't worry Jude will catch them. lol
Old 02-01-19, 01:58 PM
All Region

BACKBEND is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campolongo View Post
I might be mistaken, but I believe the OHSAA eligibility regulations says that a student-athlete is given 6 years of eligibility from 7th-12th grade. From my understanding, even if participating at club level, the student-athlete's "clock" starts once they begin 7th grade.

If I'm correct, I would say this would the driving force behind the 6th grade hold-backs. A number of years ago, many repeated 8th grade and I believe at that time, OHSAA only examined 9th-12th grade as saying each student-athlete had 4 years of eligibility.
I think the clock starts once a student/wrestler is in high school. Age will be a problem if they have been held back too many times. But i'm no expert.

Bylaw 4-2-1 (High School Age Limitation) Once a student attains the age of 20, the student will no longer be eligible for interscholastic athletic competition notwithstanding where that 20th birthday falls in relation to the sports season.
Old 02-01-19, 05:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestlingmaster123 View Post
Any Idea what weight Trinski is going at state?
I heard he was going the same weight class as some Lima kid since he didnít place top 6 at Philo. Also heard it would be great having my kid beating on the kid whose dad is so crazy tries to fight/confront kids in the restroom because they are hold backs. Heard it was a easier weight class also.
Old 02-01-19, 05:55 PM
All District

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why didnít you just throw the kids names out cause I know you want to. Why do so many people care if parents and kids decide to hold there kids back. We get it some 15 year old kid beat your little 12 year old and itís not fair. Well wait till he is in high school and a 19 year old is kidding little billyís butt or better yet if little Billy becomes good enough to wrestle in college and guys are 24/25 years old wrestling your little 18 year old kid. Thatís what Iím dealing with and itís just not fair. Kids red shirting and holding back. Stop crying about the hold backs and get you kid better or find a new sport. Every year someone creates a new name to bash a hold back who cheating at Philo, OAC , or some other dual. Tell your get kid to get stronger with better wrestling skill and go and beat that hold back. Then you can go get your bumper sticker for your car that says my kid beat a hold back.
Lol, yeah. Tell your 12 year old that hasn't gone through puberty to "get stronger" like the 15 year old who has.
Old 02-01-19, 06:47 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
ďTell your kid to get better/strongerĒ in the same breath youíre rationalizing parents holding their kids back to gain phsyological advantage through gaming the system. Wow. Ironclad ďlogicĒ right there.

Sure parents are ďfreeĒ to do it. The freedom to do it does not grant then freedom from criticism . IMHO it is bad for the sport, as a whole, and reflects screwed up priorities. If that chafes people, I reallly donít give a rip. Sorry, not sorry, if I offended anyone.
Old 02-01-19, 06:48 PM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBEND View Post
I think the clock starts once a student/wrestler is in high school. Age will be a problem if they have been held back too many times. But i'm no expert.

Bylaw 4-2-1 (High School Age Limitation) Once a student attains the age of 20, the student will no longer be eligible for interscholastic athletic competition notwithstanding where that 20th birthday falls in relation to the sports season.
Yes I believe thatís the case but wow how effed up! I graduated college at 21 lol
Old 02-01-19, 06:55 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthelites View Post
Yes I believe thatís the case but wow how effed up! I graduated college at 21 lol
Over achiever.
Old 02-01-19, 08:11 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGTJ View Post
Lol, yeah. Tell your 12 year old that hasn't gone through puberty to "get stronger" like the 15 year old who has.
My two boys managed to do it two do just fine thank you. Guess what both lost to hold backs and I didnít cry about it. Itís amazing they didnít cry about it either.
Old 02-01-19, 08:23 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
ďTell your kid to get better/strongerĒ in the same breath youíre rationalizing parents holding their kids back to gain phsyological advantage through gaming the system. Wow. Ironclad ďlogicĒ right there.

Sure parents are ďfreeĒ to do it. The freedom to do it does not grant then freedom from criticism . IMHO it is bad for the sport, as a whole, and reflects screwed up priorities. If that chafes people, I reallly donít give a rip. Sorry, not sorry, if I offended anyone.
Not all kids are being held back just for sports. Some are immature, some are under sized for sports, some have learning disabilities, and others do it to try to gain an edge. I have seen kids in all of these situations over last few years so I donít think itís right to bash or question parents for trying to do what is best for there kids.
Old 02-01-19, 08:44 PM
All District

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My two boys managed to do it two do just fine thank you. Guess what both lost to hold backs and I didnít cry about it. Itís amazing they didnít cry about it either.
Good for your boys. But to act like 12 year olds can just get stronger is asinine. I'm not crying about anything. I'm just looking at physiological facts. That is why I only addressed the junior high ages.
Old 02-01-19, 09:32 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
This...

Hell, let's up the ante and have the Mrs. carry the baby another year; that'll throw the watchers for a loop. Name the child Egor or Gargamel to throw the scent off, make people question the number of chromosomes and not years.
Old 02-02-19, 12:48 AM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
why do

people get so upset about what people do with their kids? If they think holding them can help them. Why do you care? Parents are so proud to have a kid that graduates when they are 17. Great parenting... accumulate that student loan debt and go get a job a year earlier. At least you can talk about the kid that got held back in 8th grade.
Old 02-02-19, 04:03 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Did he hit a little too close to home there? Why do people care about rules? is that what you are asking?
Old 02-02-19, 04:04 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
people get so upset about what people do with their kids? If they think holding them can help them. Why do you care? Parents are so proud to have a kid that graduates when they are 17. Great parenting... accumulate that student loan debt and go get a job a year earlier. At least you can talk about the kid that got held back in 8th grade.
Do what ever you want with your kid, just don't break the rules, or is that too much to ask?
Old 02-02-19, 04:33 PM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
the think

the best part of someone worrying about an 8th grader competing twice is that you are gonna have to see him for the next 4 years anyways!
Old 02-02-19, 04:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
the best part of someone worrying about an 8th grader competing twice is that you are gonna have to see him for the next 4 years anyways!
Right, because they all stay the same weight and are in the same division?
Old 02-02-19, 05:00 PM
Freshman

Bugout is on a distinguished road
Hold back for what ? Athletic scholarship? There is one hundred fold more money in academic scholarship!!!
Old 02-02-19, 07:20 PM
Junior Varsity

Mbelcher14 is on a distinguished road
Ok couple of things here. OAC State is for Ohio , no other state competes in it, so it’s a state tournament not STATES! The best part of this website is how people get on here and complain about something a parent or parents do with their children! In the end a kid can’t choose his parent’s and some of the choices they make for them ! So in the end you will get on here and point something out that’s wrong behind a screen name because your kid can’t beat another kid ! Sure rules are in place but you don’t know what is going on with anyone’s child nor should you get on a public forum and ask a question you already know what the answer is! In the end your punishing a kid for a parents choice ! If you want to be that person just simply email the appropriate people . Hold backs , yet again we beat the dead horse on this topic ! Not your family , not your business!
Old 02-02-19, 09:56 PM
Varsity

Granimal is on a distinguished road
Not addressing kids competing for the same grade twice.

Just addressing age. So if the speed limit is 60 (age 15 for jr high and 19 for high school). Donít exceed it or thereís a penalty. If you choose to go under the speed limit you better have a more powerful car and better skill and maneuverability to keep the other drivers from passing you. Simple.

Regarding the 12 year old who hasnít gone through puberty vs the 15 year old who has. In our extended family weíve had girls as young as 10 and as old as 16. Boys as young as 12 and as old as 16. Not sure what you do about that except wait until it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-19, 08:48 AM
All District

braves1431 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWNCHRIS View Post
Correct. There should be no age limits at all. Hold Billy back five or six years let him wrestle 8th grade at 25 years old. He will probably still be living in the basement until he is 50 anyways. Who cares if he can become a productive part of society as long as he won a jr. high state championship. We should even let the people that identify as eighth graders wrestle too. I am 28 and I identify as a 14 year old, sign me up for districts.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 02-03-19, 11:27 AM
All District

LucMurphy134 is on a distinguished road
Itís....

The Olympics
The Nationals
The States

Not

Olympic
National
State
Old 02-03-19, 12:53 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucMurphy134 View Post
It’s....

The Olympics
The Nationals
The States

Not

Olympic
National
State
No.
How many 'states' are attending?

Olympic Champ
National champ
State Champ

Last edited by MPhillips; 02-03-19 at 02:56 PM.