Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-28-19, 12:10 PM
All District

pete is on a distinguished road
Restolen - Stolen Post - What Will This Generation of Wrestlers Never Know

http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewt...21c1abaa682d35
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-19, 12:20 PM
All District

rr23724 is on a distinguished road
I haven't read that other thread but here's my list:

Singlets that weren't made from spandex materials and felt like burlap sacks.

Local summer tournaments that were loaded because there weren't 15 different tournaments each weekend.

Coaches who would practically kill you on a daily basis because they weren't feeling threatened by a lawsuit just because they challenged little Bobby's manhood every now and then.

Having a taped up towel roll thrown onto the mat at the end of each period (no tappers like now). You'd better hope your groin wasn't pointed toward the table or you were in danger.

Having time to go to eat after preliminaries were done before finals were wrestled.

2 day tournaments every weekend because no one cared how long a tournament lasted.

Bracket tournaments that made you wrestle with your back against the wall every match instead of learning how to lose 5 times in one day at a pool tournament.

One mat under a spotlight for championship matches.

Follow your man rules in the post season.

Cutting more weight than you thought you had because no one bothered to check your body fat (this is a good thing).
Old 01-28-19, 12:50 PM
Varsity

TKrebs is on a distinguished road
The only "parade of champions" was at the state finals...not at every youth, middle school, and HS tournament every weekend.

Referee's taking away team points for 1. Not coming to the mat prepared. 2. Taking down straps of singlet on the mat. 3. Throwing headgear. There weren't warnings...you were expected to behave in an appropriate manner at all times.

Open tournaments being tough as nails because there were only a few open tournaments in the off season.

Actual coverage in the local newspaper with box scores for every dual/tournament.

The Mentor "Meatgrinder" was real.

Headgear that was hard as steel and had sharp edges that would actually cut you. (I have the scars to prove it)
Old 01-28-19, 12:54 PM
All Ohio

falcons53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr23724 View Post
I haven't read that other thread but here's my list:

Singlets that weren't made from spandex materials and felt like burlap sacks.

Local summer tournaments that were loaded because there weren't 15 different tournaments each weekend.

Coaches who would practically kill you on a daily basis because they weren't feeling threatened by a lawsuit just because they challenged little Bobby's manhood every now and then.

Having a taped up towel roll thrown onto the mat at the end of each period (no tappers like now). You'd better hope your groin wasn't pointed toward the table or you were in danger.

Having time to go to eat after preliminaries were done before finals were wrestled.

2 day tournaments every weekend because no one cared how long a tournament lasted.

Bracket tournaments that made you wrestle with your back against the wall every match instead of learning how to lose 5 times in one day at a pool tournament.

One mat under a spotlight for championship matches.

Follow your man rules in the post season.

Cutting more weight than you thought you had because no one bothered to check your body fat (this is a good thing).
Geez, we are old, LOL. I remember all of those. I was telling kids the other day that I remember wrestling in Canton near the HOF in a summer open. Maybe 1986 or 87. It was a big sports center that I don't think exists anymore. I placed third and had at least 12 matches. My last match started at 11pm. My parents had zero experience with wrestling before I started and that tournament almost ended my career, LOL. My dad cussed all the way back to Austintown about being there all day.

Follow your man was tough. We had a kid lose 1-0 2nd round of districts, probably best 2 kids in the weight/state that year. Day 2 the winner busted weight and both were out. I think they had 3 or 4 combined losses that year and all were to each other.
Old 01-28-19, 12:55 PM
All Ohio

CoachYing is on a distinguished road
There was no blood time you basically wrestled until the mat had blood on it and it needed cleaned up.

the Ohio State fair freestyle tournament was unreal good if you placed top 6 you was the real deal.

The Ohio super tournament at Bexley another tough tournament.
Old 01-28-19, 12:56 PM
All Ohio

I forgot going to the buffet before finals! I recall North Canton Hoover tournament making the finals and puking at the start of the 2nd period because I ate too much after, lol. Stomach wasn't used to it after cutting.
Old 01-28-19, 12:57 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKrebs View Post
The only "parade of champions" was at the state finals...not at every youth, middle school, and HS tournament every weekend.

Referee's taking away team points for 1. Not coming to the mat prepared. 2. Taking down straps of singlet on the mat. 3. Throwing headgear. There weren't warnings...you were expected to behave in an appropriate manner at all times.

Open tournaments being tough as nails because there were only a few open tournaments in the off season.

Actual coverage in the local newspaper with box scores for every dual/tournament.

The Mentor "Meatgrinder" was real.

Headgear that was hard as steel and had sharp edges that would actually cut you. (I have the scars to prove it)
Meatgrinder was the real deal!

We were talking about those head gear this weekend!
Old 01-28-19, 01:06 PM
All Ohio

TheStuff142 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachYing View Post
the Ohio State fair freestyle tournament was unreal good if you placed top 6 you was the real deal.
Dude that place was where it was at. I wrestled Kenny Ramsay (he wrestled...I took a beating) so many times there...I think his Dad ran the whole thing. Got some wicked russian wrestling shoes there one year....showering in the cow barn across the way.

For you Cincinnati guys....Going to a Jerry Pardue camp
Old 01-28-19, 01:10 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
The post match orange with your opponent.
Old 01-28-19, 01:30 PM
All American

The three piece wrestling uniform..................the Triplet, if you will.
Old 01-28-19, 01:34 PM
All American

Dual match tie............2 team points apiece. No OT.

Tournament tie.........3 one minute periods, neutral, top, bottom. Still tied......."Referees Criteria".
Old 01-28-19, 01:36 PM
All American

15 point win was a "Superior Decision", 5 team points, and the match did not stop until the 6 minutes expired (or pin).
Old 01-28-19, 02:04 PM
All Ohio

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
Roaming the halls finding a friend over 189 lbs and convincing them "It will be fun! All you gotta do is not get pinned"
Old 01-28-19, 02:04 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardens35 View Post
15 point win was a "Superior Decision", 5 team points, and the match did not stop until the 6 minutes expired (or pin).
I remember seeing an ugly 40 to something match. Guy just kept scoring.
Old 01-28-19, 02:05 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFan1 View Post
Roaming the halls finding a friend over 189 lbs and convincing them "It will be fun! All you gotta do is not get pinned"
LOL. That sounds more like today.
Old 01-28-19, 03:38 PM
All Ohio

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons53 View Post
LOL. That sounds more like today.
True.... But the big difference is we found some
Old 01-28-19, 03:59 PM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
From the Ohio wrestling thread - "Jeff Jordan teaching technique at the Disabato’s Greater Columbus Wrestling Camp."
^ That made me LOL.

Add another along the same lines - Pat Schlatter coaching in the corner with Jeff Jordan.

The three youngest Dernlan brothers drinking beer, was almost like seeing a unicorn.
Old 01-28-19, 06:20 PM
All World

wash.c.h.legend is on a distinguished road
The neutral starting lines were on the 10 ft circle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-19, 07:37 PM
All American

ShyGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardens35 View Post
Wasn’t a superior decision 12?
Old 01-28-19, 07:48 PM
All American

I thought 15, but heck......12 could've been it.
Old 01-28-19, 08:03 PM
All American

ShyGuy is on a distinguished road
Idk. Maybe you’re right. I graduated in ‘88 and my brain is full. That’s what I remember, but when I take something in new I lose something old. Only so much space.
Old 01-28-19, 08:30 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
How about the old “unlimited” HWT weight class and 400 pounders like Xenia’s “Mountain Vernon” Broadnax?
Old 01-29-19, 04:22 AM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
15 it was for a superior decision. I was on the losing end of one of those only once, my freshman year losing 32-12 to Tony Codner from Nordonia. 8-14 was a major back in the day.
Old 01-29-19, 08:10 AM
All American

Donkability is on a distinguished road
I Remember the place going nuts when i went to shake the other coaches hand. Old coach bell in circleville circa 88-89 was one of my favorites, liked him and the kid i wrestled there as we battled a lot over the years. I won again out at licking heights they were always good people to me, simply out of respect i went to shake his hand after the match and apparently it was a rule i couldnt go engage with the other corner after the match similar to leave your singlet up rule. Everyone rushed to us and made us get off the mats first, I then shook his hand proudly and hugged him in front of the entire tourney. I think this is why the changed the rule (o:
Old 01-29-19, 08:28 AM
Freshman

Crabman is on a distinguished road
I remember when the North Canton Tournament was the toughest in the state. You wore warmups that looked like sauna suits and had white tube socks that had your team colors stripes on them and if you had a pair of Dan Gables, you felt dangerous.
God, I feel like Al Bundy!!!
Old 01-29-19, 12:46 PM
All American

MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
Playing euchre.
Old 01-29-19, 04:04 PM
All Region

innoshape is on a distinguished road
Spawling and cross face back then, today its hit 'em with your hips or scrambling.

"flopping" back then or an immediate stalemate or PD is today's "Scrambling."

Spiral ride back then, today claw ride.

Back then moving tables in cafeteria, kinda sweeping floor, moving mats from stage area, rolling out mats and wrestling with an occasional stray fry or tater tot mashed in your face; Today, more schools have dedicated wrestling rooms but more concern about mat rashes and stuff.

Winter was the only "wrestling season" back then, today if you can't find a wrestling event (open mats, camp, clinic, tournament) you aren't trying.

Back then, depending on your coach to give you the "flyers" for offseason tournaments, today, well you know.

Having your folks take you 3 hours to a summer wrestling camp of champs for a few days, getting overloaded with fresh moves, but forgetting about everything by the time wrestling season starts except you got a cool shirt to wear.

Back then, going to tournaments and not knowing even a few wrestlers in your bracket, while today its "ohmagard he is ranked #8th in D3 by Borofan" (or Bucksman or McLearn)
(side note: I appreciate their work and rankings).

Back then, going to a really tough school for scrimmages (no limit on scrimmages), the head coach would smoke cigarettes in the corner of the 105 degree wrestling room (felt that way), occasionally barked out a drill, while his assistant coaches worked over everybody in the room. (sworn to secrecy on names).
Old 02-04-19, 06:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I remember when the North Canton Tournament was the toughest in the state. You wore warmups that looked like sauna suits and had white tube socks that had your team colors stripes on them and if you had a pair of Dan Gables, you felt dangerous.
God, I feel like Al Bundy!!!
I remember N. Canton being a beast of a tournament too. I had Gables as freshman. I just missed the socks though. We were low or no socks. I had the striped ones in middle school.
Old 02-04-19, 08:28 PM
All District

Wrestlingfan21 is on a distinguished road
MTV...sitting around all day or staying up all night just to see your favorite music video
Old 02-04-19, 09:13 PM
Junior Varsity

Mbelcher14 is on a distinguished road
For southwest Ohio, Was it Jerry Pardue that did the summer tourney at Coney Island ? 1st degree burns from the mat ! That wasn’t well thought out ! If there was no school, Dick Roche would make sure you were at practice , no matter how much snow ! The St. X invitational had some good competition in 90’s east Chicago would come down , Maldonado’s I believe were fun to watch wrestle , but they were also the entertainment in between sessions break dancing in mats ! I highly doubt anyone from the 80’s and 90’s would of passed a hydration test ! Tourneys were full top to bottom hardly any empty weights!