Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > National Football Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-04-07, 09:06 AM
All American

Bordertown is on a distinguished road
Would You Sign up For 2008 Ohio vs USA?

First the idea is great in concept, but not practical in reality due to the limited gate it attracts and the limited financial resources of the promoter.

Evangel Christian Academy out of Shreveport signed an agreement to play in the 2007 Herbie and assumed they had a game Labor Day weekend in Ohio. The sponsors never contacted them to let them know they would not be included in the 2007 Herbie. This means in 2007, ECA will more than likely only play 9 games.

The sad part is Mr. Johnston appears to have attempted to have avoided "manning up" to the situation. It appears that the sponsors may be further embarassed by their matching a Michigan team that may not be able to make the trip.

Would you risk your teams 2008 schedule to the financial intergrity and the profession integrity of the Herbie promoters?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-07, 09:10 AM
All World

pied
I think it would promt some serious questions befoire the contract was signed. Like in many deals, I think what is said/known in public is often different than reality. There are always two side to the story.
Old 05-04-07, 09:26 AM
All American

http://texashsfootball.com/board/ind...howtopic=33493

The link above provides an explanation by an Evangel coach. I agree there are two sides, but I think Evangel got hosed by Mr. Johnston. My attendence last year at the Herbie, I could tell it was going to be a financial disaster. I think the only folks that came out on top were the UC folks leasing the stadium and charging at the parking garages.
Old 05-04-07, 09:58 AM
All Yappi

SLCDad
I hope SLC never participates in the Herbie. It doesn't mean anything anyway. I don't think it helps a football program at all, especially when there is equal (and usually better) competition at home. These kinds of trips may hurt a program in the long run.

Look what happened to DLS after they went to Washington (which was similar type game to the Herbie). They've been losing every year since. Their trip to Ohio didn't prove anything either because they didn't even play an elite Ohio team. DLS should have focused on taking care of business at home in California.

Look what happened to Lakeland. They barely beat St.X, but St.X was shown to be worse than Colerain and then Colerain got beat themselves by Davidson. What did Lakeland prove? Nothing. St.X was not an elite Ohio team in 2006. Then, Lakeland returned to Florida and struggled to beat a few above average teams. Yeah, Lakeland won a shared national title but many people believe that Lakeland was overrated and wasn't even the best team in Florida. I think Lakeland was WAY overrated.

Consider Tyler Lee, who played in the FIRST Herbie (AFTER SLC declined the offer). They lost by a couple of touchdowns to Colerain and then they got SLAUGHTERED much worse by 4-5 Texas Teams. What benefit did the Herbie give to Tyler Lee?

Look at Texas High (Texarkana). They were THE top 4A Texas team and they won BIG at the Herbie. However, they got beat early in the Texas playoffs. They should have focused on taking care of business at home.

The Herbie is great for Ohio and may be an "OK" exhibition for teams that don't travel very far to get there. For the rest of the country, the Herbie is not something teams should participate in. Anyone who thinks that the Herbie proves anything about "Ohio vs. the USA" is a bonehead.

I think Coach Dodge was right when he didn't see the benefit of traveling across the country to play high school football. Focus should be winning at home.

That's how I feel.

Last edited by SLCDad; 05-04-07 at 10:09 AM..
Old 05-04-07, 10:04 AM
All Region

SteveFoxSC
slc makes a point but these games are more or so an exhibition match if anything.
Old 05-04-07, 10:09 AM
All American

I agree the success of the Herbie rests on being a regional affair. I think it has been stated before the "Color" of high school football rests in the rivalries. Other than SLC vs DLS (on Yappi), I can not think of any national rivalry. Texas High's rival resides in Arkansas, but that is a function of location.

The Herbie ended up being another game for Texas High due to the quality of its opponent. But the experience was great for the kids. 90% of the kids had never been on an airplane or more than 250 miles of Texarkana. From the kids standpoint it was a positive.

SLCDad - How do you feel about the Northwestern Game? How does it differ from the Herbie?
Old 05-04-07, 10:11 AM
All World

pied
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCDad View Post
I hope SLC never participates in the Herbie. It doesn't mean anything anyway. I don't think it helps a football program at all, especially when there is equal (and usually better) competition at home. These kinds of trips may hurt a program in the long run.-Just curious, how far is Abilene and San Antonio, the locations of the SLC-Midland Lee games? Why did they choose to play 5 hours away instead of playing local?

Look what happened to DLS after they went to Washington (which was similar type game to the Herbie). They've been losing every year since. Their trip to Ohio didn't prove anything either because they didn't even play an elite Ohio team. DLS should have focused on taking care of business at home in California.-I honestly don't think that DLS losing to Bellvue caused them to continue to lose games. I think the team was just not as good as the previous squads.

Look what happened to Lakeland. They beat St.X, but St.X was shown to be worse than Colerain and then Colerain got beat themselves by Davidson. What did Lakeland prove? Nothing. St.X was not an elite Ohio team in 2006. Then, Lakeland returned to Florida and struggled to beat a few above average teams. Yeah, Lakeland won a shared national title but many people believe that Lakeland was overrated and wasn't even the best team in Florida. I think Lakeland was WAY overrated.-And you have considered them even moreso had they not played St. X. I think your logic in this scenario might be the farthest off.

Consider Tyler Lee, who played in the FIRST Herbie (AFTER SLC declined the offer). They lost by a couple of touchdowns to Colerain and then they got SLAUGHTERED much worse by 4-5 Texas Teams. What benefit did the Herbie give to Tyler Lee?-What do you make of their victory over Chaminade earlier that year?

The Herbie is great for Ohio and may be an "OK" exhibition for teams that don't travel very far to get there. For the rest of the country, the Herbie is not something teams should participate in.

That's how I feel.
To add on those feelings, I have made many trips in my life and found that they enhanced my life. I have travelled for business and had the same feelings. I know many high schgool groups travel, some even abroad to competitions and exhibitions.

I think the games can take on too much importance, but also see real benefits. Ten years down the road, do you think the DLS teams will remember travelling to Seatle with their best friends or another random non conference game more?

Do you think the Raiders of REL would have been better off staying at home, beating A&M Consolidated in a non district game and going 5-5 still not
making the playoffs?

Bordertown might be closer to the situation as his team participated last year. Do you think Mallett and co. would rather have gone up to Ohio or played anohter home game?
Old 05-04-07, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I hope SLC never participates in the Herbie. It doesn't mean anything anyway. I don't think it helps a football program at all, especially when there is equal (and usually better) competition at home. These kinds of trips may hurt a program in the long run.

Look what happened to DLS after they went to Washington (which was similar type game to the Herbie). They've been losing every year since. Their trip to Ohio didn't prove anything either because they didn't even play an elite Ohio team. DLS should have focused on taking care of business at home in California.

Look what happened to Lakeland. They barely beat St.X, but St.X was shown to be worse than Colerain and then Colerain got beat themselves by Davidson. What did Lakeland prove? Nothing. St.X was not an elite Ohio team in 2006. Then, Lakeland returned to Florida and struggled to beat a few above average teams. Yeah, Lakeland won a shared national title but many people believe that Lakeland was overrated and wasn't even the best team in Florida. I think Lakeland was WAY overrated.

Consider Tyler Lee, who played in the FIRST Herbie (AFTER SLC declined the offer). They lost by a couple of touchdowns to Colerain and then they got SLAUGHTERED much worse by 4-5 Texas Teams. What benefit did the Herbie give to Tyler Lee?

Look at Texas High (Texarkana). They were THE top 4A Texas team and they won BIG at the Herbie. However, they got beat early in the Texas playoffs. They should have focused on taking care of business at home.

The Herbie is great for Ohio and may be an "OK" exhibition for teams that don't travel very far to get there. For the rest of the country, the Herbie is not something teams should participate in. Anyone who thinks that the Herbie proves anything about "Ohio vs. the USA" is a bonehead.

I think Coach Dodge was right when he didn't see the benefit of traveling across the country to play high school football. Focus should be winning at home.

That's how I feel.
I see what your saying, but it's nice to be able to sit and watch all these teams. it really gives you an idea of how HS football is played all over the country. Watching DeLasalle was a privledge for me and I just wish Elder would of had a good team to compete better with them. Elder has been really down the past 2 years as they are normally among the elite in Ohio.
Old 05-04-07, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

SLCDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordertown View Post
SLCDad - How do you feel about the Northwestern Game? How does it differ from the Herbie?
The MNW game may end up being a home game for SLC. It's a preseason game and it doesn't count for anything. I've said before that I think that MNW's priorities are misplaced for coming to Texas but for SLC it's just a preseason game that helps them prepare for district play. If SLC was going to Florida, I would disagree with it.
Old 05-04-07, 10:28 AM
All Yappi

SLCDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pied View Post
To add on those feelings, I have made many trips in my life and found that they enhanced my life. I have travelled for business and had the same feelings. I know many high schgool groups travel, some even abroad to competitions and exhibitions.

I think the games can take on too much importance, but also see real benefits. Ten years down the road, do you think the DLS teams will remember travelling to Seatle with their best friends or another random non conference game more?

Do you think the Raiders of REL would have been better off staying at home, beating A&M Consolidated in a non district game and going 5-5 still not
making the playoffs?

Bordertown might be closer to the situation as his team participated last year. Do you think Mallett and co. would rather have gone up to Ohio or played anohter home game?
I agree that traveling is a fun field trip for the players. YES, it's fun and a good memory. However, it's a distraction to building a football program.

Also, how much "fun" did the traveling players actually have. I've traveled all over the USA and to Europe many times on business. Sometimes it's fun and I have free time. However, if I'm just on planes, in hotels and in meetings it's not much fun at all. I wonder how much "fun" the players actually had? Did they have time for anything other than travel and football?

Regarding REL, I think the Herbie trip hurt their team and they would have done much better during the season if they had not gone.

You mention SLC's games with Midland Lee. Are you REALLY attempting to equate a trip to Ohio with a bus ride a few hours away? If you read my post, you will see that I have no problem with the Ohio teams playing an exhibition. I have no problem with SLC playing Midland Lee. It's Texas and it's still very close. Traveling across the country in a "challenge" match is something quite different.

Do you remember back in 2002 (I think that was the year). SLC had to travel 6+ hours for a play-off game. They chartered a jet rather than taking buses.
Old 05-04-07, 11:01 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by pied View Post

I definitely think 25 years from now, that Mallett & Co. would remember the Herbie trip over a home game. (Note - given Texarkana's location there was no guarantee they would have had a home game. To find a 10th game in 2006, they had to play Waxahachie in Greenville (120 miles) as a "Home" game.) However, I think they would have rather gone to Ohio and lost, than to play a very average team.

Understand Texarkana and SLC are opposites from a social economic standpoint.

I do not think the trip side tracked the team from its ultimate goal - a state championship. Copperas Cove did and they were a pretty stout opponent. If anything it was a benefit, in that the kids got to practice on its "Road Routine", something rural teams must be adept. Texas High played a Texas playoff game against Highland Park (perpetual 4A Texas power) in Shreveport, LA. The reason was metro teams like SLC are not used to travel.

But ultimately no one in Cincinatti could give a rat's *** to see possibly the best QB in the country. The atmosphere for the Texas High game was horrible. I estimate 1,000 by halftime. In my eyes, it damaged Ohio's reputation as a high school football state. If the same teams had played in Dallas, I think the turnout would have been disappointing. I would doubt the turnout would have exceeded 5,000. But that is 5X more than Cinci.

For an event to be successsful you have to have 2 fan bases filling the stadium. At the Herbie, you only have one school's fan base in attendence.

But the reason, I would not advocate the Texas High returning to the Herbie (and they probably won't be invited again) is the apparent treatment of Evangel by its promoters. I would not want my kids subjected to false hopes and lose a game.

I fully expect some of the 22 teams to be burned by the promoter.
Old 05-04-07, 11:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I definitely think 25 years from now, that Mallett & Co. would remember the Herbie trip over a home game. (Note - given Texarkana's location there was no guarantee they would have had a home game. To find a 10th game in 2006, they had to play Waxahachie in Greenville (120 miles) as a "Home" game.) However, I think they would have rather gone to Ohio and lost, than to play a very average team.

Understand Texarkana and SLC are opposites from a social economic standpoint.

I do not think the trip side tracked the team from its ultimate goal - a state championship. Copperas Cove did and they were a pretty stout opponent. If anything it was a benefit, in that the kids got to practice on its "Road Routine", something rural teams must be adept. Texas High played a Texas playoff game against Highland Park (perpetual 4A Texas power) in Shreveport, LA. The reason was metro teams like SLC are not used to travel.

But ultimately no one in Cincinatti could give a rat's *** to see possibly the best QB in the country. The atmosphere for the Texas High game was horrible. I estimate 1,000 by halftime. In my eyes, it damaged Ohio's reputation as a high school football state. If the same teams had played in Dallas, I think the turnout would have been disappointing. I would doubt the turnout would have exceeded 5,000. But that is 5X more than Cinci.

For an event to be successsful you have to have 2 fan bases filling the stadium. At the Herbie, you only have one school's fan base in attendence.

But the reason, I would not advocate the Texas High returning to the Herbie (and they probably won't be invited again) is the apparent treatment of Evangel by its promoters. I would not want my kids subjected to false hopes and lose a game.

I fully expect some of the 22 teams to be burned by the promoter.
That was just a bad matchup. Findley (Columbus area) was terrible and their playing 2 hours away from their school. Centerville is from the Dayton (1 hour away) area and they had a bad crowd also for their game against Don Baso. No one in Cincy cared about either team. If you would of played a local team such as X, Colerain, Moe, or Elder then the crowd would of been more what you anticipated. Did you go to the X, Moe, or Elder games? The crowds were very good.
Old 05-04-07, 12:23 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
That was just a bad matchup. Findley (Columbus area) was terrible and their playing 2 hours away from their school. Centerville is from the Dayton (1 hour away) area and they had a bad crowd also for their game against Don Baso. No one in Cincy cared about either team. If you would of played a local team such as X, Colerain, Moe, or Elder then the crowd would of been more what you anticipated. Did you go to the X, Moe, or Elder games? The crowds were very good.
I did not go to the Saturday games. The Colerain crowd versus the PA team was 6,000 in its own right. 42,000 attendence for 9 games is pathetic. The average crowd was less than 5,000. I think the attendence figure was in the USA Today.

The "No one in Cincy cared about either team" comment is why the Herbie will fail. Cincy venue needs to be converted to the "Ohio River Classic" and have teams from Pennsylvannia, Kentucky and Indiana where the folks can travel. A one hour and two hour car ride is not a good reason to have 750 folks in the stands. Not sure what McDonald's paid to be a sponsor, but an audience of 42,000 I doubt they sold the number of Big Macs needed to cover the cost of their promotion material.
Old 05-04-07, 12:27 PM
All American

Quote:

I don't think that had anything to do with them losing in the Regional Finals. I think you know Copperas Cove is a good ball club and Texas High beat Highland Park handily the week before. By the way that is not an early exit.

Last edited by Bordertown; 05-04-07 at 01:01 PM..
Old 05-04-07, 12:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I did not go to the Saturday games. The Colerain crowd versus the PA team was 6,000 in its own right. 42,000 attendence for 9 games is pathetic. The average crowd was less than 5,000. I think the attendence figure was in the USA Today.

The "No one in Cincy cared about either team" comment is why the Herbie will fail. Cincy venue needs to be converted to the "Ohio River Classic" and have teams from Pennsylvannia, Kentucky and Indiana where the folks can travel. A one hour and two hour car ride is not a good reason to have 750 folks in the stands. Not sure what McDonald's paid to be a sponsor, but an audience of 42,000 I doubt they sold the number of Big Macs needed to cover the cost of their promotion material.
It's not that the Herbie will fail because no one in Cincy cares. It will be successfull if they limit the games to only Elder, X, Moe, and Colerain. Play them all in the same day and you will have 50k+ for the day. You can't have crappy teams from different parts of the state making the trip down. It has to be less games and kept to only the teams that draw well with local ties.
Old 05-04-07, 12:57 PM
All American

If Elde, X, Moe & Colerain were in the Herbie last year plus 5 other teams and 42,000 attended all the games, how do you make the claim the 4 teams could attract 50k+. Sorry I do not see it. I would suspect the Herbie sponsors business plan called for a minimum of 75,000 tickets sold.

But back to the initial point of the thread, given the wishy washy nature of the promoter, would you send you to play. If you are in Ohio would you go to Texas to play in a game Mr. Johnston promoted?

There are no excuses for how Evangel was treated.
Old 05-04-07, 01:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
If Elde, X, Moe & Colerain were in the Herbie last year plus 5 other teams and 42,000 attended all the games, how do you make the claim the 4 teams could attract 50k+. Sorry I do not see it. I would suspect the Herbie sponsors business plan called for a minimum of 75,000 tickets sold.

But back to the initial point of the thread, given the wishy washy nature of the promoter, would you send you to play. If you are in Ohio would you go to Texas to play in a game Mr. Johnston promoted?

There are no excuses for how Evangel was treated.
I agree that Evangel was treated badly. It will make it difficult in future years to secure teams.

Those teams weren't playing on the same day and they didn't play back to back to back to back, like they would with my idea. Point is, all the teams fans would stay for the other teams games to see how they are that year. Year in and out those are the 4 teams fighting for the City Title. Colerain fan doesn't want to go to their game on Friday and then back to Nippert on Sat. to watch games. I wanted to watch the X game that day but didn't go because I would of had to sit through Centervilles game afterward. Centerville and Findley games drew maybe 3k. Trust me, Colerain would of had many more tickets sold if they knew they would be able to watch all the other Cincy teams instead of just their game and a bad Findley team that they have no ties to.
Old 05-04-07, 01:38 PM
All American

They may have sold 10% more - maybe. The thing is when we read about 15,000 at a Colerain vs Elder game, those are the combined attendence of two schools with each contributing roughly half in theory. I have seen enough games at Texas Stadium in November and December to know 80% of the fans leave after their team has played. The husband has usually struck a deal with Mom to do Christmas shopping either before or after the game.
Old 05-04-07, 01:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
They may have sold 10% more - maybe. The thing is when we read about 15,000 at a Colerain vs Elder game, those are the combined attendence of two schools with each contributing roughly half in theory. I have seen enough games at Texas Stadium in November and December to know 80% of the fans leave after their team has played. The husband has usually struck a deal with Mom to do Christmas shopping either before or after the game.
Texas is a much bigger state and the 4 schools I mentioned above are within a 20 mile radius of each other with 3 of those teams in the same league. I went to last years game with a buddy from Colerain, his friend from X, and my father who attended Elder. It's different around here. I think you got my point though.

BTW, how was the hospitality and did you have a good time?
Old 05-04-07, 03:50 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Findley (Columbus area)
Findlay is not in the "Columbus area." It's closer to Toledo than it is to Columbus.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...te=OH&zipcode=
Old 05-04-07, 09:06 PM
All Yappi

UncleBaldy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
Findlay is not in the "Columbus area." It's closer to Toledo than it is to Columbus.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...te=OH&zipcode=
Thanks for mentioning that before I needed to.
Old 05-05-07, 09:55 AM
All Ohio

naughty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to naughty
Quote:

That's how I feel.
To call that hard fought game that lakeland and St.X played nothing. Is just insane and a slap in the face of all the kids who took part in it. Why do you hate lakeland so much. Duck n Dodge was just scared to travel. But loved to bring teams to him. So if thats how you feel. Then when Northwestern comes to texas no matter waht happens. It was worthless and proved nothing. You cant be wishy washy SlcDad. Make up your mind.
Old 05-05-07, 01:04 PM
All Ohio

RidgePride
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders Football View Post
i agree with Naughty. SLCDad, the games aren't an exhibition. Many of the Ohio teams love playing and beating out of state competition, it helps with playoff harbin points. Also, the GCL South has a hard time finding teams to play in Ohio because we're good. I think Southlake Carroll just doesn't want to travel and thats ok too.

Catholic Blue, GCL S, and 5-5A, those three leagues are the best in the country and the way OHSAA has set up the playoff system we need to constantly search for new opponents.

Texas HS Fball = Ohio HS Fball = Cali HS Fball = Florida HS Fball
Anyone else that tries to compete with those four states just fails. Oklahoma, North Carolina, South Carolina, Indiana, Pennslyvania, and Louisiana have some top tyre teams but top to botton those four are far and away the best.

Also, if SLC played in the GCL South they wouldn't go undefeated every year. The only GCL Caliber teams SLC played last year were Trinity, who if not for the stupidest coaching decision ever wouldve beaten you, Evangel Christian, and i wanna say Colleyville Heritage but i think they'd be about on the same level as lasalle.

Don't get me wrong, SLC deserved the national title, they were the best and crushed everyone. But if Euless Trinity's coach didn't go for it on 4th down they wouldve won state.

Will SLC play Cedar Hill this year do you know??? I'd wanna see that.... Do you have the 07 schedule?

I'm done. That was kind of random of me but whatever....
I agree with most of what you said except that SLC would not have gone undefeated if they played in GCL South.

If any team from Ohio would have won 79-1 over 5 years, we would say they could not do it in TX.

What SLC has done in TX has defied all sense and logic. Without question I believe they could do it in any other state. If they lose to MNW then win state again in TX, I would change my opinion.
Old 05-05-07, 08:58 PM
All World

consumerman is on a distinguished road
Quote:

That's how I feel.

look what happened when DLS traveled to Hawaii. they beat an 18 time state champion, nationally ranked team and won their 3rd of 4 successive national championships, and altogether 5 in 6 years.

Did traveling hurt them that year?????????????????/

the 2004 dls team started 2-3-2, I dont think traveling to Washington prevented them from winning only 2 of their first 7 games.

Do you??????????????????????????????????/

Traveling to Ohio and being called the most impressive team in the 2006 Herbie propelled them to a national #1 ranking, which they held for nearly 3 months until they layed an egg in the final game

would they have been ranked #1 had they not been credited as being the most impressive team at the herbie?

would they?????????????????

as always, your theories and reasoning do not match reality and what really happened
Old 05-05-07, 09:22 PM
All World

I don't think it helps a football program at all, especially when there is equal (and usually better) competition at home

yeah those tough texas playoffs that are split into two divisions and watered down with 3-7 and 4-6 teams

and those monster 7-5 teams that are outscored for the season and are considered a national top 250 team or a team with FOUR losses that is considered a national top 40 team

who could find anything better than that?
Old 05-05-07, 09:32 PM
All American

Quote:
BTW, how was the hospitality and did you have a good time?
No complaints. It was suggested we eat at an Italian Sports Bar run by a Steelers fan. Was good.
Old 05-05-07, 09:53 PM
All American

For a Texas team, the Herbie is an "exhibition" game. If Texas High would have lost it would have had no impact (other than mental) on their ability to make the playoffs. I suspect the same for Lakeland. However for the Ohio teams, the games are "real" because the game impacts the Harbin point system.

So I think you are both right.
Old 05-05-07, 10:00 PM
All World

I wonder how much "fun" the players actually had? Did they have time for anything other than travel and football?

when DLS traveled to Hawaii the entire team volunteered to visit a Shriner's Hospital with seriously ill children

they also visited historic sites such as the Arizona Memorial
Old 05-05-07, 10:01 PM
All World

The only GCL Caliber teams SLC played last year were Trinity, who if not for the stupidest coaching decision ever wouldve beaten you

very well said and most anyone with common sense agrees with you 100%
Old 05-05-07, 10:07 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders Football View Post
oh. thanks.
a fake punt is a dangerous last chance gamble when you are trailing

it is NOT a good choice when you have a 6 point lead and have the other team to 16 points over 58 minutes

the stupidest football decision I have EVER seen

and look who benefited

yechhhhhhhhhh

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: