Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-27-17, 10:47 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Summit County 2017

What are your thoughts on the 2017 season for the Summit County schools?

Archbishop Hoban
Barberton
Buchtel
Copley
Coventry
Cuyahoga Falls
Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy
East
Ellet
Firestone
Garfield / Kenmore
Green
Hudson
Manchester
Mogadore
Nordonia
North
Norton
Revere
Springfield
St Vincent-St Mary
Stow-Munroe Falls
Tallmadge
Twinsburg
Walsh Jesuit
Woodridge
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-17, 03:14 AM
All Yappi

frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post

Archbishop Hoban
Barberton
Buchtel
Copley
Coventry
Cuyahoga Falls
East
Ellet
Firestone
Garfield / Kenmore
Green
Hudson
Manchester
Mogadore
Nordonia
North
Norton
Revere
Springfield
St Vincent-St Mary
Stow-Munroe Falls
Tallmadge
Twinsburg
Walsh Jesuit
Woodridge
Hoban and St. V will again be strong. Walsh? Stow and Hudson will again be at the top of the SL National. Barberton will be strong. Woodridge should have another good season. How much from the Garfield/Kenmore merger spills over to Buchtel, East and Ellet? Copley looks to be rebuilding. Nordonia? Moggy will be their typical selves.
Old 06-28-17, 07:21 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I'll fire up the Summit County Viking Memorial Pick 'em in mid-August.
Old 06-28-17, 04:14 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Thank Clark you the best
Old 06-28-17, 11:41 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
Archbishop Hoban: Will definitely be a strong contender for the state championship once again.

Barberton: Will they finally break through and make the playoffs? They've had two good seasons in a row.

Buchtel: Will be a favorite to win the Akron City Series, but will they make it to the playoffs?

Cuyahoga Falls: Will they win a game this season? They're really in a bind athletics wise, because a majority of the talented kids get poached by CVCA, Walsh Jesuit and St. V. St. Mary.

Akron East: I wonder if they have any players coming back from last year's playoff team. They will also contend for the ACS title.

Akron Ellet: How will the new coaches fare?

Garfield/Kenmore: Will this combined school lead to improvement?

Hudson: Can they go deep in the playoffs this year and do they have their quarterback situation straightened out?

I don't know a lot about Copley, Green and CVCA, to be honest.

I will give my thoughts on Manchester and down tomorrow.
Old 06-29-17, 12:31 AM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Top 2 Hoban STVM Next 8 Akron East, Stow, Hudson, Barberton, Akron Buchtel, Woodridge, teams to watch Nordonia, Copley, Coventry, Manchester, Mogadore, Green, Ellet, Twinsburg. Unknown-Revere, Norton, CVCA, Walsh Jesuit, Akron Firestone, Akron Kenmore-Garfield, Archbishop Hoban will face Summit County Rivals STVM Walsh Jesuit. STVM will face Hoban, Akron Buchtel, Barberton, Walsh Jesuit, and Akron North.

Hoban must replace QB-Hamm (2021) , RB (Campbell 2021) , PK-P and several LB's getting Transfer LB Blanchard from WJ. Return OL-DL-Secondary, WR. NCL Down!!
STVM return QB, RB'S, WR'S Most of OL, DB's. Need to replace DL, LB'S. Class of 2019 & 2020 Are talented. Incoming 2021 Looks Strong.
East return QB, RB's (William Collier) WR's (Brimmage) Several Transfers from Garfield & Kenmore. Will battle STVM for Region 9. Will the OL have stamina?
Stow must replace QB, WR, OL, Nori System has been successful running the ball and aggressive Defense. Region 1 is Brutal.
Hudson will need to reload after several very successful Playoff Seasons. Hoban now is Region 5 D2.
Barberton return QB (Ries), RB, WR, OL....Staying Healthy will determine the length of their potential D2 Playoff run
Akron Buchtel- Return RB's Wr's Db's must replace QB and some OL. Play West Side Rival and Region 9 Team STVM.
Woodridge- Return QB (Lydic) RB, Wr, DL, LB. Very Talented with Speed but in the same Region 9 as STVM and East.
Xoban is no ones friend in Summit County

Last edited by StarstoShine; 07-01-17 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 05:56 AM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Not to diss my own team, but I think Coventry is undeserving of the top 10, Starstoshine. I think we are capable of the top 10, but we really have yet to prove ourselves. Perhaps we'll do it this year,or perhaps not.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-17, 10:56 AM
All American

Orangeman89
East is loaded and will roll through the City followed by Buchtel. Ellet will struggle to be .500 in Shuman's
first year.
Old 06-29-17, 02:07 PM
All Region

Hoban2019 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
Top 2 Hoban STVM Next 8 Hudson Stow Barberton East Buchtel Coventry Woodridge Kenmore- Garfield teams to watch Nordonia Copley Manchester Mogadore Green Ellet Twinsburg. Unknown Revere Norton CVCA Walsh Jesuit Firestone. Hoban will face Summit County Rivals STVM Walsh Jesuit STVM will face Hoban Buchtel Barberton Walsh Jesuit Akron North.
Punctuation. It's your friend.
Old 06-29-17, 02:23 PM
All Yappi

frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
Archbishop Hoban: Will definitely be a strong contender for the state championship once again.

Barberton: Will they finally break through and make the playoffs? They've had two good seasons in a row.

Buchtel: Will be a favorite to win the Akron City Series, but will they make it to the playoffs?

Cuyahoga Falls: Will they win a game this season? They're really in a bind athletics wise, because a majority of the talented kids get poached by CVCA, Walsh Jesuit and St. V. St. Mary.

Akron East: I wonder if they have any players coming back from last year's playoff team. They will also contend for the ACS title.

Garfield/Kenmore: Will this combined school lead to improvement?

Hudson: Can they go deep in the playoffs this year and do they have their quarterback situation straightened out?

Barberton made the playoffs last season
Old 06-29-17, 05:07 PM
All District

Money Ball is an unknown quantity at this point
CoventryTrack,

The schools are listed alphabetically. No need to worry, though, that alphabetical list is the only way Coventry gets close to the Top 10. Wish I could speak more highly of them, but they just refuse to play fundamentally sound defense, which leads to too many easy scores for their opponents.
Old 06-29-17, 05:10 PM
All District

Additionally, Garfield-Kenmore may not win a game this year. From what the word is, there are only a handful of kids lifting weights, Coach Boyd did not check on eligibility but one time during the last grading period, and many kids might be flocking to East. Damn shame they screwed with the former coach the way the APS did stringing him along for 3 months before finally telling him the job was his. Look what they have now. It will be an embarrassment.
Old 06-29-17, 06:43 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Ball View Post
CoventryTrack,

The schools are listed alphabetically. No need to worry, though, that alphabetical list is the only way Coventry gets close to the Top 10. Wish I could speak more highly of them, but they just refuse to play fundamentally sound defense, which leads to too many easy scores for their opponents.
My post was in reply to Starstoshine, who did have us in the top 10. As for our defense, we simply do not have much in the way of size to put up an effective defense. Theres a reason why Coventry does much better in Soccer than Football. Our strength is in our speed. My biggest criticism of our team however is that our win/loss record is not really representative of what our talent is capable of. Coach Egan has done a phenomenal job wiith player developement and getting those kids recruited. We have had several kids go on to play ball at the collegiate level. But coaches x's and o's leave something to be desired. Our talent level, while not amazing, is simply not translating into the wins it is capable of.

Last edited by CoventryTrackXCguy; 06-30-17 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 08:06 AM
All District

I call bullcrap!!!!

I have seen way too many teams that play small, quick kids on the DEFENSIVE LINE play very solid, fundamentally sound defense to destroy your claim that Coventry does "not have much in the way of size to put up an effective defense." Have you ever seen Manchester or Ellet play? They very seldom have kids over 6 playing on their lines, and they are aggressive and play pretty solid defense. Seldom do you see them giving up 35 or 40 points.

Second, I am certain you have heard the phrase, "It's not about the Xs and Os, its about the Jimmys and Joes." Those Jimmys and Joes goes both for the coaches and the players. It is about drilling the fundamentals and drilling the some more so they play their fundamental defense well, and then you can run stunts and blitzes and be creative.

Lastly, Coach Egan may have helped get a couple kids into college, but he must not be able to evaluate the ability of his coaches to coach, because the attempt at defense is pitiful. His job is to put the kids in the best position to win games and play hard and learn lifetime lessons in sportsmanship, teamwork, and that being part of something bigger than yourself. If you are truly honest, the kids that have gone on to the bigger schools, Hargrove and Burkhardt, would have gotten scholarships. It is the average player who gives his heart, soul, blood, sweat, tears and dedication to a program that may not be getting the same from its own coaches that is the critical point. I like Coach Egan, but he needs to start looking at the staff and make changes if he is really wanting to turn the program around.
Old 07-01-17, 09:34 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post

CUYAHOGA Falls: Will they win a game this season? They're really in a bind athletics wise, because a majority of the talented kids get poached by CVCA, Walsh Jesuit and St. V. St. Mary.

Garfield/Kenmore: Will this combined school lead to improvement?9

I believe the good football kids from Cuyahoga Falls play at Woodridge.
Old 07-02-17, 08:50 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Ellet 8th grade team was pillaged by Svsm.
Irish will pound their chest over superiority among Akron City teams and naive parents will buy the garbage they sell.

Last edited by Orangeman89; 07-02-17 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-02-17, 09:13 PM
All Region

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Irish will pound their pound their chest over superiority among Akron City teams and naive parents will buy the garbage they sell.
Or perhaps the parents refuse to buy the garbage that Ellet has continued to sell for almost 4 decades.
Old 07-02-17, 10:08 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Irish will pound their chest over superiority among Akron City teams and naive parents will buy the garbage they sell.
Well, it would help if Ellet's academics were a much better selling point.

Old 07-02-17, 10:10 PM
All Ohio

Lol, so please tell us, what did SVSM end up getting from Ellet.

Old 07-02-17, 10:38 PM
All American

Henry37 is on a distinguished road
Let's be honest. A huge reason Summit County football (at least south of Stow/Hudson) has been down the last several years is the best players are all at Hoban or Saint V. It's a numbers game.

I am told East has some good ones, and they certainly made a good run last year. The Garfield-Kenmore consolidation should help that numbers game.

But Tallmadge has been down after a really good run. Woodridge has had some guys but they played Saint V once and once was more than enough. I'm not sure anybody on Woodridge's regular season schedule came within 20 last year. The City used to have lots of big time guys. Now at least 5 or 6 of the top 10 players who live in the city limits play for the private schools.

There was a time when Walsh/St V/Hoban/Buchtel were all pretty good and so were 2-3 suburban schools in any given year, and that's not even counting Manchester/Mogadore who are almost always really good at their levels but don't have the numbers or generally produce Div I college players. However that time is not anytime recently.

It's good for Summit County football that Barberton is good again. Copley has been good 6 or 7 of 10 years, too, and has pretty consistently produced some guys who have played at a high level in college.
Old 07-03-17, 07:23 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry37 View Post
Let's be honest. A huge reason Summit County football (at least south of Stow/Hudson) has been down the last several years is the best players are all at Hoban or Saint V. It's a numbers game.

I am told East has some good ones, and they certainly made a good run last year. The Garfield-Kenmore consolidation should help that numbers game.

But Tallmadge has been down after a really good run. Woodridge has had some guys but they played Saint V once and once was more than enough. I'm not sure anybody on Woodridge's regular season schedule came within 20 last year. The City used to have lots of big time guys. Now at least 5 or 6 of the top 10 players who live in the city limits play for the private schools.

There was a time when Walsh/St V/Hoban/Buchtel were all pretty good and so were 2-3 suburban schools in any given year, and that's not even counting Manchester/Mogadore who are almost always really good at their levels but don't have the numbers or generally produce Div I college players. However that time is not anytime recently.

It's good for Summit County football that Barberton is good again. Copley has been good 6 or 7 of 10 years, too, and has pretty consistently produced some guys who have played at a high level in college.
I'm not sure the Garfield/Kenmore merger helps the win-loss bottom line. Joining two bad football teams just results in a larger bad football team.
Old 07-03-17, 08:32 AM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
So sad, and to think of Garfield's once proud football program now a losing program! And Kenmore back in the late 60's and early 70's. Dated a Kenmore girl who's brother was a stud quartesnack at Kenmore when they were good. Too bad today's communities can't and will never experience the golden years of City Series football!
Old 07-03-17, 09:33 AM
All Yappi

Hoban, SVSM and Mogadore will remain as state powers in their divisions. Hudson should remain strong. Hope that Stow can continue their run, but as I recall, they lost quite a bit. In the City, East should continue their rise to the rise and Buchtel and Ellet should be decent though unlikely state playoff participants. I really hope Barberton can keep the momentum going.
Old 07-03-17, 11:03 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Well, it would help if Ellet's academics were a much better selling point.

That's not why these kids are attending Svsm, let's be real here. I'm pretty sure Caleb Conner didn't ditch the Comets over academics.
Old 07-03-17, 11:06 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Lol, so please tell us, what did SVSM end up getting from Ellet.

Several good athletes from a strong 8th grade class that's who. I don't blame Svsm though really, mainly parents wanting to live vicariously through children who want to be a "winner" one time.
Old 07-03-17, 11:11 AM
All District

BulldogNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Hoban, SVSM and Mogadore will remain as state powers in their divisions. Hudson should remain strong. Hope that Stow can continue their run, but as I recall, they lost quite a bit. In the City, East should continue their rise to the rise and Buchtel and Ellet should be decent though unlikely state playoff participants. I really hope Barberton can keep the momentum going.
Stow lost a ton of players who started both ways for multiple years. Going to be hard to replace that type of talent but the Suburban League will be relatively weak again next year so I can see them winning 7 to 8 games. The junior and senior classes have some nice players that will keep them competitive for the next couple years.
Old 07-03-17, 11:28 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
That's not why these kids are attending Svsm, let's be real here. I'm pretty sure Caleb Conner didn't ditch the Comets over academics.
And yet Caleb Connor is about the only kid I can name that went to svsm for sports out of Coventry in the past 5 years. Bobby Campbell certainly replaced him fairly well. And the reality remains also that what we pull in from OE more then makes up for what we lose to private schools. Now the question remains, when are Akroners gonna get their acts together and realize that their elected school board members do not look out for their interests, but rather, only the interests of West Akron/Firestone? Is it really any surprise to anyone which schools/communities have been getting shafted while Firestone high school gets fancy things like swimming pools? All funded by your tax dollars? And now APS is making a mess out of Garfield Kenmore merger. And the rest of the inner city isnt much better. And I will just add, that there problems could get more severe, as Coventry will potentially soon slash OE big league. That could be like 400 more kids Akron may have to accomodate all of them all at once.

Old 07-03-17, 03:44 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
And yet Caleb Connor is about the only kid I can name that went to svsm for sports out of Coventry in the past 5 years. Bobby Campbell certainly replaced him fairly well. And the reality remains also that what we pull in from OE more then makes up for what we lose to private schools. Now the question remains, when are Akroners gonna get their acts together and realize that their elected school board members do not look out for their interests, but rather, only the interests of West Akron/Firestone? Is it really any surprise to anyone which schools/communities have been getting shafted while Firestone high school gets fancy things like swimming pools? All funded by your tax dollars? And now APS is making a mess out of Garfield Kenmore merger. And the rest of the inner city isnt much better. And I will just add, that there problems could get more severe, as Coventry will potentially soon slash OE big league. That could be like 400 more kids Akron may have to accomodate all of them all at once.

You'll have ask someone outside Ellet, generally speaking the board is pretty good to the Orangefolk.
Old 07-03-17, 06:25 PM
All District

fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post

Archbishop Hoban
Barberton
Buchtel
Copley
Coventry
Cuyahoga Falls
East
Ellet
Firestone
Garfield / Kenmore
Green
Hudson
Manchester
Mogadore
Nordonia
North
Norton
Revere
Springfield
St Vincent-St Mary
Stow-Munroe Falls
Tallmadge
Twinsburg
Walsh Jesuit
Woodridge
What schedule are they going to use for Kenmore-Garfield
Old 07-03-17, 07:11 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I'm not sure the Garfield/Kenmore merger helps the win-loss bottom line. Joining two bad football teams just results in a larger bad football team.
I agree. I wish their Coach the best of luck, he's gonna need it.