Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-29-16, 03:22 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 51,906
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Playing one sport year-round isnít smart, even for kids who want to go pro

Quote:
Some kids spend the whole year playing one sport, such as soccer, baseball or basketball. And what do they do during the summer? They go to a camp and keep playing that sport.

So whatís wrong with that?

Thereís a lot wrong with specializing at a young age. Itís much better for kids to play a variety of sports and use the summer to sample new ones.

A study published in the journal Sports Health found that ďfor most sports, there is no evidence that intense training and specialization before [age 13 or 14] are necessary to achieve elite status. Risks of early sports specialization include higher rates of injury . . . and quitting sports at a young age.Ē
Read more:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...302_story.html
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-30-16, 10:34 AM
thehawg27 thehawg27 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-25-04
Posts: 1,257
thehawg27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-30-16, 12:13 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,763
thavoice is on a distinguished road
I don't know how it is with the big city folk, but out here in the sticks pretty much every single other player who has gone onto play in college, and professionally, not only played another sport throughout HS but usually excelled.

I am all for kids playing as much as they can. Difficult to really be a 3 sport star nowadays, but doable. I am seeing many playing and excelling at two though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-30-16, 03:54 PM
Baseballfan20 Baseballfan20 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-20-11
Posts: 404
Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
As a baseball guy, I like the Football & Baseball combo. Football teaches so much that you need in baseball. With no out of school football it also works for most schedules. Kids can lift and play summer baseball. Focus on football in the fall and then lift and go to open gyms or Summer ball workouts in the winter.

I know some kids really like basketball but where I'm from even the best basketball players usually don't get college looks. Not much interest in a 6'2'' big lol.

I played 3 sports (football, hockey, & baseball) until my senior year. Finally dawned on me that if I want to play in college I needed to start focusing on less. It worked out for me but other ways have worked for others.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-16, 04:26 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,763
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballfan20 View Post
As a baseball guy, I like the Football & Baseball combo. Football teaches so much that you need in baseball. With no out of school football it also works for most schedules. Kids can lift and play summer baseball. Focus on football in the fall and then lift and go to open gyms or Summer ball workouts in the winter.

I know some kids really like basketball but where I'm from even the best basketball players usually don't get college looks. Not much interest in a 6'2'' big lol.

I played 3 sports (football, hockey, & baseball) until my senior year. Finally dawned on me that if I want to play in college I needed to start focusing on less. It worked out for me but other ways have worked for others.
We had a kid who was all in basketball. Nice player, but not college material. Roaming scout asked if we felt we had anyone to look at. Told him of this pitcher so he came out and took a look. After the scout saw and talked to him he did a 180 and was all in on baseball. Stayed with the roundball and did well, but college baseball is where he ended up and did well enough to get drafted.

In many ways with hoops and football, genetics can pretty much rule you out but in baseball....we take all sizes!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-01-16, 12:47 AM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,433
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
We had a kid who was all in basketball. Nice player, but not college material. Roaming scout asked if we felt we had anyone to look at. Told him of this pitcher so he came out and took a look. After the scout saw and talked to him he did a 180 and was all in on baseball. Stayed with the roundball and did well, but college baseball is where he ended up and did well enough to get drafted.

In many ways with hoops and football, genetics can pretty much rule you out but in baseball....we take all sizes!
Youre example sounds like a kid making a choice to focus on one sport in high school, and still ut was only after a college scout showed him interest. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this article is focusing on the whole entirety of a kids sports life, with the main focus on what they are doijg BEFORE high school.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-01-16, 11:06 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,763
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Youre example sounds like a kid making a choice to focus on one sport in high school, and still ut was only after a college scout showed him interest. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this article is focusing on the whole entirety of a kids sports life, with the main focus on what they are doijg BEFORE high school.
No, you are not wrong.

I guess I was just going off the other guy's post about said basketball player and had a little story to go with it. This kid still worked on his hoops quite a bit, but it wasn't until he realized his future was baseball until he started to put effort into baseball/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-01-16, 02:30 PM
yakyak yakyak is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-11-14
Posts: 928
yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
We had a kid who was all in basketball. Nice player, but not college material. Roaming scout asked if we felt we had anyone to look at. Told him of this pitcher so he came out and took a look. After the scout saw and talked to him he did a 180 and was all in on baseball. Stayed with the roundball and did well, but college baseball is where he ended up and did well enough to get drafted.

In many ways with hoops and football, genetics can pretty much rule you out but in baseball....we take all sizes!
But you dont take kids with a 6.5 home to first time. Or a 2.2 pop to pop time, or a kid that is 5 '5 150 with no arm but never strikes out.

I feel baseball for college right now is one of the worst that desires athletic ability over production. And the year around crowd usually is trying to make up for a lack of talent, to gain fundamentals, to further production. But again, 6.5 to first, 2.5 pop to pop, 82 on the gun etc etc is all that matters.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-01-16, 02:46 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,763
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
But you dont take kids with a 6.5 home to first time. Or a 2.2 pop to pop time, or a kid that is 5 '5 150 with no arm but never strikes out.

I feel baseball for college right now is one of the worst that desires athletic ability over production. And the year around crowd usually is trying to make up for a lack of talent, to gain fundamentals, to further production. But again, 6.5 to first, 2.5 pop to pop, 82 on the gun etc etc is all that matters.
I understand, but out of the big 3 sports baseball players tend to be the more "normal" in stature and hence gives more kids the belief they too can do it.

You can be small in football/hoops but then you have to be incredibly athletic. Baseball you can get away with more physical-wise...if you can hit it, and pitch it then you have a shot. You don't necessarily have to be big, or quick as snot.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-04-16, 10:34 PM
ccalum ccalum is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Posts: 258
ccalum
It seems like a million people have posted the "one-sport focus is wrong" thing, so I'll offer a different perspective.
I know a rising senior who played basketball and soccer every year from tiny kid through 9th grade. As a freshman, he showed potential in soccer, but was pretty far down the bench in basketball. For sophomore year, he had a decision to make. He probably would have made the JV basketball team, but would have been the last kid on the bench and would have had lots of schedule conflicts between sports. Rather than put in umpteen hours with the school basketball team, he turned his focus to soccer and used the extra hours there (he did play rec basketball for fun in the winter). The extra time with a soccer ball at his feet made him a better player, and he'll likely finish his high school career as a three-year varsity starter.
Here's my main point -- people use NFL and NBA and Ohio State guys who played multiple sports to argue that everybody should do it. But those guys are freakish athletes who can make any team they want. The more common example is the one I raised, where a kid is fighting to even make his high school team, or earn a starting spot. I hope we don't diss those kids for making a tough decision they think is best for them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-05-16, 06:49 AM
Change up Change up is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-04-14
Posts: 154
Change up is on a distinguished road
It depends upon the position the player wants to play in college. If you want to advance to college baseball, mastery of a position is essential as well as somewhat good grades. You don't have to be an honor student but you have to show the colleges you are ready for the next step regarding academics.

If you have time for another sport or two and enjoy it, that's great.

it depends upon the kid and it depends upon the sport and position. And it depends if the kid wants to go to a div 1 college for a particular sport.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-05-16, 07:47 PM
yakyak yakyak is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-11-14
Posts: 928
yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccalum View Post
It seems like a million people have posted the "one-sport focus is wrong" thing, so I'll offer a different perspective.
I know a rising senior who played basketball and soccer every year from tiny kid through 9th grade. As a freshman, he showed potential in soccer, but was pretty far down the bench in basketball. For sophomore year, he had a decision to make. He probably would have made the JV basketball team, but would have been the last kid on the bench and would have had lots of schedule conflicts between sports. Rather than put in umpteen hours with the school basketball team, he turned his focus to soccer and used the extra hours there (he did play rec basketball for fun in the winter). The extra time with a soccer ball at his feet made him a better player, and he'll likely finish his high school career as a three-year varsity starter.
Here's my main point -- people use NFL and NBA and Ohio State guys who played multiple sports to argue that everybody should do it. But those guys are freakish athletes who can make any team they want. The more common example is the one I raised, where a kid is fighting to even make his high school team, or earn a starting spot. I hope we don't diss those kids for making a tough decision they think is best for them.
I think you bring up some very good points. That seems like the correct and various obvious decision. Do you think the years playing basketball helped his soccer, or if he played soccer only from K to 9 would he have been a better soccer player? The argument is the kids who specialize from youth through jr. high and that having a negative impact.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-05-16, 09:21 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,433
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
I think you bring up some very good points. That seems like the correct and various obvious decision. Do you think the years playing basketball helped his soccer, or if he played soccer only from K to 9 would he have been a better soccer player? The argument is the kids who specialize from youth through jr. high and that having a negative impact.
I've had quite a few soccer coaches tell me that basketball is on the top of the list of the other sports they would prefer kids play in conjunction with soccer if they choose to play other sports. They feel it is very similar in game design and structure. It teaches them spacing, ball movement, and both defending and attacking tactics in the same way as soccer. The smaller field/court size means players are forced to make those decisions much faster, so when they move to a larger field the game slows down in their minds, increasing their soccer IQ's.

I haven't talked with many basketball coaches on other sports they like their kids to play. My assumption would be that soccer would be beneficial, again for the similar structure, but also for the stamina increase. But that is just one example of the cross training benefits kids gain through playing multiple sports. There are many others to be had with pretty much every sport out there.

I think it's hard to argue against the benefit of gaining skills for sport A while playing sport B. Monotony leads to decreased gains. Whether that monotony happens on the smaller scale through not keeping the training diverse in a single sport, or even on the larger scale of just doing the same sport all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-05-16, 10:08 PM
ccalum ccalum is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Posts: 258
ccalum
Yakyak, I don't have any way to measure whether basketball made him a better soccer player, but I do agree with others that the sports are complementary. And he really loved both sports for many years so there was no question of quitting one when he was younger. It was only in high school, when the time investment for each sport increased, that he felt like he wanted to make a decision.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-05-16, 10:23 PM
yakyak yakyak is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-11-14
Posts: 928
yakyak is on a distinguished road
To me this all boils down to where a kid will commit his time in May,June and July. With each sport wanting/needing a heavy commitment in those months. 20 years ago, there was much less organization in May, June and July it seemed. Summer baseball/basketball,7 on 7 etc etc. did happen, it just seems like it is much more involved/organized and time sensitive today.

Each sport is saying that I need your full focus in May, June, July or you will not reach your full potential. It used to be, do something to stay active and increase your athletic ability and come back to us during the particular season.

Honestly, I am not seeing better athletes out there today than I did 20 years ago but I might be biased. Has all this training increased the level of the various games? I dont know but dont think it has. Statistically in each pro sport I am not sure the game is better with they way its youth are brought up.

I am all over the place now and stopping.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-06-16, 03:50 AM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,433
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Two professional athletes and their opinions on this issue.



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Year In Review Sykotyk National Football Board 13 09-04-16 01:28 PM
Official OAC GS D3 MadMex Report Madmex64 Wrestling 57 03-21-16 12:28 AM
Kettering Fairmont D-1 District Rankings McClearn7 Wrestling 18 12-10-15 03:27 PM
Mentor D-1 District Preview McClearn7 Wrestling 4 11-25-15 03:05 PM
Cambridge Inv. 12-6-14 heavybcat Wrestling 19 12-07-14 12:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz