Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Marion Local by 17+ 30 57.69%
Marion Local by 8-16 13 25.00%
Marion Local by 1-7 0 0%
Liberty-Benton by 1-7 4 7.69%
Liberty-Benton by 8-16 2 3.85%
Liberty-Benton by 17+ 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-17, 06:25 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Marion Local vs Liberty Benton

Flyers have yet to been scored on in the play-offs, think that streak may end against LB. Will pick Marion Local to win 34-7.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-17, 07:08 AM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
D VI State Semifinal: Marion Local (13-0) vs Liberty-Benton (12-1)

added a poll
Old 11-18-17, 10:10 AM
All Ohio

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Marion Local 32 Liberty Benton 14
Old 11-18-17, 10:39 AM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
Just announced by ML's Athletic Director that this game is at Wapakoneta.
Old 11-18-17, 11:36 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Just announced by ML's Athletic Director that this game is at Wapakoneta.
ML is the home team.
Old 11-18-17, 01:04 PM
All District

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
... this game is at Wapakoneta.
Why the move from Lima, which was apparently the original site chosen for this matchup?
Old 11-18-17, 03:04 PM
All American

rjewards is on a distinguished road
too make liberty fans drive further would be my educated guess
flyers over eagles, msml defense will stifle flbr
Old 11-18-17, 03:41 PM
Varsity

ru4ml is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK84 View Post
Why the move from Lima, which was apparently the original site chosen for this matchup?
To piss off fridayguru and his conspiracy theory. Since he thought we would play there three weeks in a row... Almost guessed it... I like Sidney or Piqua better...
Old 11-18-17, 08:44 PM
All Ohio

adog is on a distinguished road
This game should be in Lima and Minster/St Paul D7 should be in Findlay, surprised no game at Findlay
Old 11-18-17, 08:56 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adog View Post
This game should be in Lima and Minster/St Paul D7 should be in Findlay, surprised no game at Findlay
CRAPPY visitors seating..
Old 11-19-17, 11:01 AM
All District

CJK84 is on a distinguished road
It will be a shame if Marshall Rose is unable to play. He's a dynamic running back and receiver out of the backfield for the Eagles.

Hard to tell what his injury is based on the film, but he did not return to the game after going down on LB's opening drive last week.
Old 11-19-17, 08:12 PM
All Ohio

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
CRAPPY visitors seating..
Its pretty bad. Maybe when U Findlay builds their Stadium, they'll start hosting games there
Old 11-20-17, 12:02 AM
All Ohio

Michael Hirn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adog View Post
Heard they didn't offer because both the boys and girls hoops are home this weekend and some other events, no conspiracy to it.
Old 11-20-17, 03:52 AM
All Region

4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Flyers have yet to been scored on in the play-offs, think that streak may end against LB. Will pick Marion Local to win 34-7.
I've been wondering-- how much further up the food chain could MSML go, and still perform like this? I suspect that they could easily go to Division IV (Coldwater was there not long ago, and did well there), and I figure MSML could compete with Alter (which was Div. IV until the CB realignment this year), but could MSML compete with Trotwood's athletes at Div. III-- and win? What about LaSalle or Winton Woods at Div. II? Or a matchup with Colerain or X at Div. I-- what would be the outcome?

I feel a bit like I'm creating one of those nature videos-- where you speculate about whether a wolf or a mountain lion or a bear would fare well in a scrap against a wolverine...
Old 11-20-17, 05:57 AM
All District

Msfootball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GX View Post
I've been wondering-- how much further up the food chain could MSML go, and still perform like this? I suspect that they could easily go to Division IV (Coldwater was there not long ago, and did well there), and I figure MSML could compete with Alter (which was Div. IV until the CB realignment this year), but could MSML compete with Trotwood's athletes at Div. III-- and win? What about LaSalle or Winton Woods at Div. II? Or a matchup with Colerain or X at Div. I-- what would be the outcome?

I feel a bit like I'm creating one of those nature videos-- where you speculate about whether a wolf or a mountain lion or a bear would fare well in a scrap against a wolverine...
Let's not get Hoser turning this into a 15 page thread. They'd get steamrolled by the elite D1 teams. I think they are "capabale" of beating the elite in D4.. That doesn't mean they would, just in terms of capability, I'd say D4 is the ceiling.

Back to this game, Liberty Benton looks really good from the footage I've seen. Might be a lot closer than most are expecting.
Old 11-20-17, 07:57 AM
All American

Quote:

I for one think their is way too much of a belief out their by some posters that just because a school is bigger that their better in football. Versailles a 4-6 D-5 school def. a 7-3 D-3 Celina 36-7, ML def. a D-3 CJ team 35-7. Now Celina also has def. Versailles in the past but smaller schools (not just ML or Coldwater ) are capable of beating bigger schools do not know why that is so hard to comprehend.
Old 11-20-17, 08:43 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfootball View Post
Let's not get Hoser turning this into a 15 page thread. They'd get steamrolled by the elite D1 teams. I think they are "capabale" of beating the elite in D4.. That doesn't mean they would, just in terms of capability, I'd say D4 is the ceiling.

Back to this game, Liberty Benton looks really good from the footage I've seen. Might be a lot closer than most are expecting.
It will be close only if LB can stop ML's running game and if the Flyer's passing attack is not working. Coldwater knew what ML was going to run in the 2nd half and could not stop it. Is LB's defense better than Coldwater's ?
Old 11-20-17, 10:05 AM
All District

Msfootball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It will be close only if LB can stop ML's running game and if the Flyer's passing attack is not working. Coldwater knew what ML was going to run in the 2nd half and could not stop it. Is LB's defense better than Coldwater's ?
Doubtful their defense is better than Coldwater's but I say they are better offensively. So to clarify, it should be a closer game than the past few weeks.
Old 11-20-17, 10:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Coldwater knew what ML was going to run in the 2nd half and could not stop it.
Not a fan of this theory. ML successfully ran FB dives, RB traps, RB sweeps, and counter treys. Coldwater knew ML was going to run, yes, but not where or how.
Old 11-20-17, 11:36 AM
All American

Quote:
Not a fan of this theory. ML successfully ran FB dives, RB traps, RB sweeps, and counter treys. Coldwater knew ML was going to run, yes, but not where or how.
I knew by formation and who was at rb what play ML was going to run probably 70 % of the time and if I knew I think Coldwater knew as well. I talked to a young man I work with that played for Columbus Grove in 2014, he said we knew what ML wanted to do we just couldn't stop it. If a team has more talent than the other team and executes their is not much the other team can do about it.
Old 11-20-17, 01:31 PM
Freshman

WSAImpact is on a distinguished road
As L-B found out in 2008, a great defense negates a great offense. Marion 21-0.
Old 11-20-17, 01:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSAImpact View Post
As L-B found out in 2008, a great defense negates a great offense. Marion 21-0.
That is correct and unless Aaron Craft shows up to play QB, Flyers win big.
Old 11-20-17, 01:39 PM
All American

Quote:
I knew by formation and who was at rb what play ML was going to run probably 70 % of the time and if I knew I think Coldwater knew as well.
I understand what you're saying, but 70% isn't 100%. If Coldwater overloaded Marion's strong side to negate the sweep you know darn well the QB would check to something up the middle or to the weak side.
Old 11-20-17, 02:05 PM
All American

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but 70% isn't 100%. If Coldwater overloaded Marion's strong side to negate the sweep you know darn well the QB would check to something up the middle or to the weak side.
70% was probably on the high side and Nate Bruns the QB does do a good job of checking into the right run play if he has the opportunity.
Old 11-20-17, 03:33 PM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Well they already beat a pretty good CJ team by 4 TD's. CJ got drilled by Alter...then beat them in the playoffs. Alter has been DIV recently. I think ML plays with them no problem...especially this year.

After that, your talk of Trotwood, Lasalle, Winton Woods, Colerain and X is getting a little bit far fetched. I'm not sure ML scores more than a TD against any of them...and likely doesn't stay within 5 or 6 TD's any of them if they keep the starters in more than the first half. You're talking being outweighed at most of the line positions by 40-50 lbs....having 5'9 DB's going up against 6'3 or 6'4 WR's and not seeing more than a couple guys going both ways for any of those teams. Just don't see the Flyers holding up for a full game.....though it would be very interesting to see.

That being said....does anyone think Colerain could beat the Browns?
Old 11-20-17, 05:40 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Well they already beat a pretty good CJ team by 4 TD's. CJ got drilled by Alter...then beat them in the playoffs. Alter has been DIV recently. I think ML plays with them no problem...especially this year.

After that, your talk of Trotwood, Lasalle, Winton Woods, Colerain and X is getting a little bit far fetched. I'm not sure ML scores more than a TD against any of them...and likely doesn't stay within 5 or 6 TD's any of them if they keep the starters in more than the first half. You're talking being outweighed at most of the line positions by 40-50 lbs....having 5'9 DB's going up against 6'3 or 6'4 WR's and not seeing more than a couple guys going both ways for any of those teams. Just don't see the Flyers holding up for a full game.....though it would be very interesting to see.

Who has the 5' 9" DB's ? You are correct ML does have a 6'4" receiver.
Don't know if Colerain could beat the Browns just hope the Bengals can.
Old 11-20-17, 07:08 PM
Varsity

ru4ml is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Stirred is correct we have no 5'9" DB's and furthermore ML has only two guys who go full time both ways the two DE. We have 4 guys who play defense that play sparingly on offense as coach rotates a lot of guys in the backfield as well as receiver.
Old 11-20-17, 07:21 PM
All Yappi

TiGgEr3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to TiGgEr3 Send a message via AIM to TiGgEr3 Send a message via Yahoo to TiGgEr3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4ml View Post
Stirred is correct we have no 5'9" DB's and furthermore ML has only two guys who go full time both ways the two DE. We have 4 guys who play defense that play sparingly on offense as coach rotates a lot of guys in the backfield as well as receiver.
Marion Local starting secondary:

CB Tyler Prenger 6'0
Safety Matt Rethman 5'10
Safety John Tangeman 6'0
CB Derek Ruhenkamp 6'1

Like you said, no 5'9 guys, the 3 shortest (Hays, Partington, Rethman) are all 5'10
Old 11-20-17, 07:42 PM
All Region

4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I was just asking where you all (who see them play regularly) would place them in the hierarchy of top Ohio playoff teams. I wasn't trying to either be critical or stir the pot on the upside-- I just trying to think about how to calibrate this MSML team-- I knew that they beat CJ (Div. III playoff quarterfinalist) easily, but I also know that CJ is not competitive with Trotwood (currently), and most Div. II teams are not competitive with Winton Woods and LaSalle (or Hoban)... and most Div. I teams are not competitive with Colerain, X, Ed, Ig, Mentor, and the Pickeringtons (I expect Oly Liberty to get smoked this week-- just as Whitmer usually is/was, when they advance out of their region)... heck, Div. III Trotwood MIGHT be the best team in the state this year... they punched out Pick Central without much problem...
Old 11-20-17, 07:49 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
They'd be a strong favorite in D5, D4 probably a top 3-5 team, I do not think they could beat Steubenville. D3 probably a top 10 or so team.