Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > St Xavier Bombers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-17-17, 10:24 PM
All Yappi

BIGPUN02X
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
Jesus loves The Jesuits, The Pope & St Xavier Football!

(***And Pedophile Republicans from Alabama***)

JC says Bombers by 8 on Friday, no matter what the weather ....

Bet your weekly Sunday donation on X!

FWIW...

Jesus knows BigPun quite well...

States that BP is “One Righteous Dude”

JC kept BP from attending Eldar HS because

BP was too worldly, intelligent, interesting & good looking!

I can't believe that I missed the above.

Anyways, I'm back to eat my crow. I've got my Jesus, rosary, and Holy Bible.
Old 11-18-17, 12:26 AM
All Region

4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers92 View Post
Yea, have to agree. Was Payne hurt? Tough to see us only give wolf 22 chances to throw the ball.
^This!^ Playcalling was (AGAIN) pathetically miscalculated-- I'll bet we only took about 3 shots down the field on deep balls-- and at least two of those were successful (setting up both of our touchdowns)... the better (coached) team won.

Also, have to admit-- our vaunted defense could not stop Colerain, time and time again, on third and long-- they seemed to convert almost at will...the better team won.
Old 11-18-17, 12:43 AM
Varsity

Class of 94 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GX View Post
^This!^ Playcalling was (AGAIN) pathetically miscalculated-- I'll bet we only took about 3 shots down the field on deep balls-- and at least two of those were successful (setting up both of our touchdowns)... the better (coached) team won.

Also, have to admit-- our vaunted defense could not stop Colerain, time and time again, on third and long-- they seemed to convert almost at will...the better team won.
Are you kidding me? We struggled running but yet we start out the second half with 3 straight runs. Wolf was 15-22 and was not given a chance to lead the offense. No rhythm to the offense and why give the ball back to the Cards when we are on the 50 yard line. Play to win, not to not loose.
Wish we were playing next week. I feel the state finals were played tonight. Good luck to the Cards.
Old 11-18-17, 01:02 AM
All District

Colerain Fan is on a distinguished road
Great game and great season Bombers!!!!

Its a shame someone's season had to end tonight.

This rivalry is just amazing.

We'll see you again next year.
Old 11-18-17, 09:48 AM
All Ohio

CincyHSfootball is on a distinguished road
Congratulations to both St. X and Colerain on great seasons. Also to Lasalle and Winton Woods. I am an Elder guy but is there any area in the country that fields as many great teams in such a small geographic area as Cincinnati. If you love high school football this area is the best.

Best of luck to Colerain and Winton Woods next week.
Old 11-18-17, 09:51 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class of 94 View Post
Are you kidding me? We struggled running but yet we start out the second half with 3 straight runs. Wolf was 15-22 and was not given a chance to lead the offense. No rhythm to the offense and why give the ball back to the Cards when we are on the 50 yard line. Play to win, not to not loose.
Wish we were playing next week. I feel the state finals were played tonight. Good luck to the Cards.
I think I said exactly what you said, differently... "Playcalling was pathetically miscalculated"-- what about that suggests that I think our Offensive Coordinator had even half of clue about what he was doing last night? We were NEVER going to win that game throwing the ball-- we couldn't beat teams significantly lesser than Colerain running the ball-- what made us think we could beat one of the Top 5 teams in the state (with some of the best LBs in the state) running the ball, and only getting off 22 passes.

Colerain was already going to dramatically shorten the game with their grind-it-out offense-- we needed to counteract that by going no-huddle, fast tempo THE WHOLE GAME, with 90% passes (so that quick hitters to the sideline went out of bounds, and dropped passes over the middle stopped the clock), so that we EXTENDED the game, played more snaps, and gave our offense a chance to wear out their defense. We only got off 22 passes because we BARELY HAD THE BALL-- time of possession was probably 2/3 in Colerain's favor.

I understand the concept of trying to "soften 'em up with the run, to open up the pass", and also the concept of trying to retain the ball on longer drives, to wear down a defense that is playing 3-4 guys both ways-- but when you are not running the ball very well, and all your runs are doing is putting your offense in second or third and long yardage situations (and you KNOW that you have not run the ball well virtually ALL YEAR), why do you keep going to it-- it's having the opposite effect than planned then-- it's resulting in giving the ball back to Colerain relatively quickly, so that THEIR offense is the one retaining the ball, and grinding down our defense-- such that their two-way players NEVER did get tired-- instead Ivan Pace was bulldozing our defensive front all the way through to the end of the game...

And we NEVER DID figure out how to stop Colerain on 3rd and long-- you knew that, on those occasions when we stopped Pace and Leyendecker on 1st and 2nd down, that Colerain was either going to run wide or throw on 3rd down-- but we were repeatedly unable to defense those plays-- (at least 3 times on the first TD drive, and also on their last score-- when, because of the very short field there, it was pretty apparent that it would not be a throw, but a sweep to the wide side of the field, we tried to string it out-- and the kid STILL ran around our outside containment).
Old 11-18-17, 04:12 PM
All World

Blue Rhino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madden2005 View Post
On the 50, punting to a team you couldn't stop all game with 6:00 to go was idiotic.
Agree....you play to win there.
Old 11-18-17, 04:39 PM
All World

1. We did not match Colerain's intensity really for the entire game. They punched us in the mouth and we did not punch back. We played scared I thought early on. Not the attacking team I've watched all year. Colerain set the tempo early on and we did not answer them. The Regional finals REQUIRE an energy level that was missing.
2. Defense played well enough to win at most positions. Corners really impressed me..as did Dline and LBs ....thought the main difference was that our safeties of 2017 did not make the BIG plays at crucial times like they did in 2016. We failed miserably containing the sideline runs. If you can't contain the triple option wide...you're in for a long night.
3. Running game had 15 yards....how is that even possible?? No Chris Payne?? after that performance against Sycamore?? He looked good on the couple of runs he had. WHY???
4. Oline....see point 3...Fools let a smaller Dline pressure them most of the night let the Birds LBs go untouched...that is a toughness thing. We should have been able to run on the Birds as good as their D is because of the risks they were taking with their LBs.
5. Playcalling....tends to get our guys lit up...going in this was a simple game plan to me....Hammer Chris Payne for about 100 yards to keep the Birds DBs honest and get the ball to Witt, Kreimer and Cam on quick hitters (slants, Digs, crossing patterns). When the safeties cheat then go for the post patterns. That should have been the game plan. We failed to take advantage of the middle of the field which is vacated a lot due to the blitzing of the Cards LBs.
Hats off Birds...you all won that game. Love your depth at RB...love the way Pace runs...might be your year.
Old 11-18-17, 05:47 PM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Great comments X fans. BlueRhino, 4GX...obvious you are die hard X fans.

Look forward to the battle(s) next year between the Bombers and Cardinals.

Let's hope we can take care of business against a very good Pick Central team this coming Friday.

-CardinalsFan
Old 11-20-17, 12:42 AM
All American

SportsGenius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rhino View Post
1. We did not match Colerain's intensity really for the entire game. They punched us in the mouth and we did not punch back. We played scared I thought early on. Not the attacking team I've watched all year. Colerain set the tempo early on and we did not answer them. The Regional finals REQUIRE an energy level that was missing.
2. Defense played well enough to win at most positions. Corners really impressed me..as did Dline and LBs ....thought the main difference was that our safeties of 2017 did not make the BIG plays at crucial times like they did in 2016. We failed miserably containing the sideline runs. If you can't contain the triple option wide...you're in for a long night.
3. Running game had 15 yards....how is that even possible?? No Chris Payne?? after that performance against Sycamore?? He looked good on the couple of runs he had. WHY???
4. Oline....see point 3...Fools let a smaller Dline pressure them most of the night let the Birds LBs go untouched...that is a toughness thing. We should have been able to run on the Birds as good as their D is because of the risks they were taking with their LBs.
5. Playcalling....tends to get our guys lit up...going in this was a simple game plan to me....Hammer Chris Payne for about 100 yards to keep the Birds DBs honest and get the ball to Witt, Kreimer and Cam on quick hitters (slants, Digs, crossing patterns). When the safeties cheat then go for the post patterns. That should have been the game plan. We failed to take advantage of the middle of the field which is vacated a lot due to the blitzing of the Cards LBs.
Hats off Birds...you all won that game. Love your depth at RB...love the way Pace runs...might be your year.
The bolded stuck out to me. Our corners were the reason we didn't contain the sideline runs. They snuck in too much every single play. It is their job to stay wide and they never did.

As for the game plan, your proposed gameplan wouldve lost us the game too. Our line couldnt get any push at all. zero, zip, nada. That is the game you put the ball in Wolf's hands and let him throw it 35-40 times. Running the ball proved to be nonexistent in the game.
Old 11-20-17, 04:52 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGenius View Post
The bolded stuck out to me. Our corners were the reason we didn't contain the sideline runs. They snuck in too much every single play. It is their job to stay wide and they never did.

As for the game plan, your proposed gameplan wouldve lost us the game too. Our line couldnt get any push at all. zero, zip, nada. That is the game you put the ball in Wolf's hands and let him throw it 35-40 times. Running the ball proved to be nonexistent in the game.
I don't know the answer to the corners/safeties debate-- I don't have the luxury of watching the game film, to review who was more at fault for not containing the Colerain wide game-- I would assume that both corners and safeties would likely have a role to play in that--though it does SEEM like the corners would have the bigger part to play (they're called Corners for a reason)...

But I definitely agree with the run vs. pass view expressed above-- I saw no evidence at any time this year (though I was out of town for the LSX, Fairfield, and Sycamore games) that this line could run block well enough (against a GOOD defense) to get ANY of our backs ~100 yards (this line reminds me of the Bengals, in that regard)-- it would have taken 40-50 carries for one of our guys to approach that total in this game-- and I bet we only had about 40-50 snaps in this game-- and 100 yards total was not going to win this game... "Hammer(ing) Chris Payne for about !00 yards" feels like it is/was easier said than done-- and I sure don't know why we were ever rushing our non-running QB (in what appeared to be a designed run) as we did once or twice in crucial situations in this game-- to disastrous effect.
Old 11-20-17, 10:02 AM
Junior Varsity

TSchwor is on a distinguished road
Obviously the X defensive coaches never adjusted but how can you take the ball out of the hands of Wolf? His stats were very good and you don't go for it on 4th and 2 or 3? Heck, the defense didn't stop the Cards all night and you want to give the ball back? The offensive coaches were dead set on running the ball and we couldn't gain an inch. Think outside of the box and maybe throw the ball.
On a good note, as an outsider looking in, I really enjoyed watching this team for the last 2 years. If a GCL team doesn't win the region, I hope Colerain can bring back the trophy.
Old 11-20-17, 10:33 AM
All World

BlueBomber94 is on a distinguished road
Congrats on a game well coached and well played, Colerain. Now go up north and show them how we play football in Cincinnati. St. Iggy and St. Eds got knocked out by Mentor so the top 3 ranked teams in the state are already gone.

St. X has not had a running game since Hundley graduated. The defense also gives up points in the 1st Q almost every game. Eventually it catches up to you and it wound up ending the Bombers season 2 weeks short of state.

Last edited by BlueBomber94; 11-20-17 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-20-17, 10:43 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Interesting, no ReLoad on this thread. Must be taking the loss pretty hard.

I agree with many of the X faithful, that game should have been won or lost on the arm of Wolf. Too many runs into the middle of the defense for a loss or no gain. I'd have kept throwing the ball to Kriemer, no one could stop him and he made a couple tough catches.
Old 11-20-17, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy
Congrats to X on another good year. Agreed that X was not going to run on the Cards. Looks like the X staff was just trying to keep them honest.
Old 11-20-17, 02:17 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it really possible this was Specht's last year? I don't buy it, but ReLoad hinted at it.
Old 11-20-17, 03:23 PM
All World

Quote:

Containment responsibilities are dictated by the defensive coverage calls. Agree we could not get any push....which was unacceptable given our size advantage...but my point was let Wolf win you the game but with quick hitting passes that move the chains....take what the defense was giving us....we did not move the chains which was reflected in us only running 39 plays. We abandoned the middle of the field in our pass game. Move the chains and open up the running game enough to keep them off balance. The types of passes we called are the hardest to complete.
Old 11-20-17, 03:38 PM
All World

BlueBomber94 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Is it really possible this was Specht's last year? I don't buy it, but ReLoad hinted at it.
He also hints he speaks with Specht on a daily basis and if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.
Old 11-20-17, 05:20 PM
Freshman

bomberinmonroe is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Containment responsibilities are dictated by the defensive coverage calls. Agree we could not get any push....which was unacceptable given our size advantage...but my point was let Wolf win you the game but with quick hitting passes that move the chains....take what the defense was giving us....we did not move the chains which was reflected in us only running 39 plays. We abandoned the middle of the field in our pass game. Move the chains and open up the running game enough to keep them off balance. The types of passes we called are the hardest to complete.
It was a terrible offensive game plan... X could've run 4-5 yard slants and outs at will, then turned them into double move big gains. They also had the middle of the field open for posts and seam routes. Yet we continued to see off tackle runs by a team that could not move anyone off of the line of scrimmage. I hate to say it, but when Specht's staff does not have a a power running game at their disposal, they really struggle to take advantage of their offensive weaponry. I would have loved to have seem more inside combo routes to free up the playmaking wide receivers. the 3 runs to start the second half after a good kick return was pathetic, and a waste of talent.

The defense gave up a few big plays early, but you can only ask them to be on the field so long against a team like Colerain.
Old 11-20-17, 07:20 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberinmonroe View Post
It was a terrible offensive game plan... X could've run 4-5 yard slants and outs at will, then turned them into double move big gains. They also had the middle of the field open for posts and seam routes. Yet we continued to see off tackle runs by a team that could not move anyone off of the line of scrimmage. I hate to say it, but when Specht's staff does not have a a power running game at their disposal, they really struggle to take advantage of their offensive weaponry. I would have loved to have seem more inside combo routes to free up the playmaking wide receivers. the 3 runs to start the second half after a good kick return was pathetic, and a waste of talent.

The defense gave up a few big plays early, but you can only ask them to be on the field so long against a team like Colerain.
I could not agree more with all of this-- especially the 3 runs at the start of the second half (including one by Wolf-- WTF)-- I thought that having a strong start to the second half was going to be crucial to winning the game-- and we basically pissed down our leg on that series, after a nice KO return put us in great field position... and the middle of the field was open deep-- as our one successful long play proved....

Who was our playcaller for this game/season?
Old 11-21-17, 01:30 AM
All World

ReLoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Colerain had multiple drives that reminded me of Hinsdale Central's first drive in the season opener running wide at will.

Personnel changes in the secondary in weeks 2 and 3 seemed to correct what appeared to be the defense's Achilles but as Specht lamented X didn't have a "true" adjuster this year and basically went with 3 safeties.

Even though our safety play could cost us 2 or 3 scores a game I figured Wolf and his receivers would always outscore any defense in the state.
Old 11-21-17, 01:39 AM
All World

ReLoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I was expecting a 2nd half aerial assault as well. I thought back to the final regular season game last year vs Louisville StX when the Bombers (4-5 record) were tied at 3 at the half and came out in the second half and absolutely cut Wolf loose and he set a school record with 31 completions throwing for 3 TDs in the 3rd quarter and an insurance TD pass in the 4th.
Old 11-21-17, 10:28 AM
Varsity

Class of 94 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
I was expecting a 2nd half aerial assault as well. I thought back to the final regular season game last year vs Louisville StX when the Bombers (4-5 record) were tied at 3 at the half and came out in the second half and absolutely cut Wolf loose and he set a school record with 31 completions throwing for 3 TDs in the 3rd quarter and an insurance TD pass in the 4th.
This team was fun to watch, I agree that this was a perfect game for the Offensive coaching staff to let Wolf and his receivers do what they do best. Over coaching is an epidemic and St X fell prey.
Speaking to many of the Colerain people, their biggest concern was our QB's efficiency and the uptempo offense. It was clear that the Cards were getting gassed when St X went uptempo. They used all of their time outs and as soon as we had them going backward, we run it up the middle; over coaching.
Anyway, even though I am sore about the loss, I am looking forward to next year's team.
Whose the QB?
Will Kriemer continue his great play? Where will he play? Hoping QB
Will Kiessling take over the defense?
All good things to look forward to.
Old 11-21-17, 01:18 PM
All American

birdog is on a distinguished road
What are the odds on your HC leaving for another coaching position. If he goes there could me as many as 3 GCL-S teams under new coaching staffs come 2018. GBM
Old 11-21-17, 08:12 PM
All World

I can tell you with certainty that the man loves coaching and still has a serious passion for coaching. I would argue that he is actually just hitting his stride as a head coach. We're incredibly blessed to have him.
Old 11-21-17, 09:16 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post
What are the odds on your HC leaving for another coaching position. If he goes there could me as many as 3 GCL-S teams under new coaching staffs come 2018.
I can understand why a Moeller guy wants to see him leave, but if he leaves, it's not likely to be to take another coaching job-- what other HS would be preferred to coaching his alma mater?

...And it's not going to be to coach in college, as he has made clear that he has no interest in dealing with the cesspool of college recruiting-- so why do you bring this up-- other than to try to unsettle the situation at your toughest rival (which is the obvious reason-- not surprised that you would do that-- it's certainly your right-- but it does not reflect any great insight or understanding of our coach's career plans).

It's a bit like the St. X alums who are always asking if the school is going to "go coed" -- why would we ever do that-- or need to? It's absurd.
Old 11-22-17, 10:29 AM
All American

birdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I can understand why a Moeller guy wants to see him leave, but if he leaves, it's not likely to be to take another coaching job-- what other HS would be preferred to coaching his alma mater?

...And it's not going to be to coach in college, as he has made clear that he has no interest in dealing with the cesspool of college recruiting-- so why do you bring this up-- other than to try to unsettle the situation at your toughest rival (which is the obvious reason-- not surprised that you would do that-- it's certainly your right-- but it does not reflect any great insight or understanding of our coach's career plans).

It's a bit like the St. X alums who are always asking if the school is going to "go coed" -- why would we ever do that-- or need to? It's absurd.
What's your problem? I ask a legitimate question and you go on an anti Moeller rant. The guy is a great coach. He probably can do a lot of things football related as opposed to HC at X. Does he have any younger family members coming up? Does he want to make more money? It would seem to me that the guy has a lot of upward mobility. If he leaves X I don't think anyone would blame him. Get off your high horse. You guys had a great two year run. I wish we could do the same. I'm sure all 4 GCL-S schools will be just fine going forward. If you know so much about your coaches career plans why don't you go out on a limb and share them. GBM
Old 11-22-17, 11:28 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post
What's your problem? I ask a legitimate question and you go on an anti Moeller rant. The guy is a great coach. He probably can do a lot of things football related as opposed to HC at X. Does he have any younger family members coming up? Does he want to make more money? It would seem to me that the guy has a lot of upward mobility. If he leaves X I don't think anyone would blame him. Get off your high horse. You guys had a great two year run. I wish we could do the same. I'm sure all 4 GCL-S schools will be just fine going forward. If you know so much about your coaches career plans why don't you go out on a limb and share them. GBM
Cam is his youngest so no more sons playing for him. He could go College ...make more money and be very successful imo...esp when I see that the 3-3-5 is something that more and more colleges are looking at as a base D. Then again...I'm not sure you can find too many gigs that are as rewarding as being a head football coach in this town at a quality institution...there is something special about coaching 16-18 year olds.

Question for you Birdog...and with the benefit of hindsight ...do you think Gerry Faust would go to ND all over again if he could rewind time?
Old 11-22-17, 12:53 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

A St X poster (ReLoad) was the first to suggest that this would be Specht's last year. Many asked the same question about Ramsey when his son Peyton graduated (granted he has one more son that will start at Elder next year). He isn't the first, nor I'm sure will be the last to ask about Specht's future at X.
Old 11-22-17, 01:55 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Cam is his youngest so no more sons playing for him. He could go College ...make more money and be very successful imo...esp when I see that the 3-3-5 is something that more and more colleges are looking at as a base D. Then again...I'm not sure you can find too many gigs that are as rewarding as being a head football coach in this town at a quality institution...there is something special about coaching 16-18 year olds.

Question for you Birdog...and with the benefit of hindsight ...do you think Gerry Faust would go to ND all over again if he could rewind time?
Faust is/was a sniveling con man. Read Steve Delshon's book, his players at ND thought he was a pvsy.