Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-11-17, 12:17 PM
Freshman

Metzger is on a distinguished road
I heard he was going to be in trouble for some inappropriate singlets worn at an offseason tournament....

He went to polish rocks someplace else I guess, some can build and work hard- take the kids that have never wrestled and turn them into good wrestlers- some don't want that hard work- they like the glory with an already great product. With the long line of personal dealings since way back at prodigy on 122 it amazes me that he gets hired. I don't know he apparently is a good coach but has baggage from his past that schools/parents do not look into- its surprising. From his college wrestling days (never wrestling in psu or iu) to his dealings with prodigy (money spent) to the springboro fiasco with zerkle, his benefit fundraising, to hopping around to schools with only great wrestlers. I don't know ask Go Green or takedown 77 those are his alias's. read those comments its laughable.
Old 08-11-17, 12:50 PM
Varsity

Smoke Screen is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzger View Post
I heard he was going to be in trouble for some inappropriate singlets worn at an offseason tournament....

He went to polish rocks someplace else I guess, some can build and work hard- take the kids that have never wrestled and turn them into good wrestlers- some don't want that hard work- they like the glory with an already great product. With the long line of personal dealings since way back at prodigy on 122 it amazes me that he gets hired. I don't know he apparently is a good coach but has baggage from his past that schools/parents do not look into- its surprising. From his college wrestling days (never wrestling in psu or iu) to his dealings with prodigy (money spent) to the springboro fiasco with zerkle, his benefit fundraising, to hopping around to schools with only great wrestlers. I don't know ask Go Green or takedown 77 those are his alias's. read those comments its laughable.
Bitter much? You just laid out that Mason wasn't happy with the guy evidently, then crucify him for taking another job with huge upside. After reading your ramblings, I actually support his decision far more. Guy has issues, but what great wrestling coach doesn't in today's world? I can tell you from personal experience though that the guy puts in serious time for his kids and absolutely has their back. Leaving Mason is unfortunate for the kids left behind, but I absolutely believe LaSalle just made a great decision that could pay big dividends in the results column.
Old 08-11-17, 03:24 PM
Varsity

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Screen View Post
Bitter much? You just laid out that Mason wasn't happy with the guy evidently, then crucify him for taking another job with huge upside. After reading your ramblings, I actually support his decision far more. Guy has issues, but what great wrestling coach doesn't in today's world? I can tell you from personal experience though that the guy puts in serious time for his kids and absolutely has their back. Leaving Mason is unfortunate for the kids left behind, but I absolutely believe LaSalle just made a great decision that could pay big dividends in the results column.
Not to be argumentative but if it's true he's had issues at all of these other places wouldn't one assume he will have issues at Lasalle as well that may negate all of the big dividends? I also think you're doing a disservice to a lot of great coaches who don't have the issues you describe?
Old 08-11-17, 03:51 PM
All District

TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
From his college wrestling days (never wrestling in psu or iu)

Old 08-11-17, 05:45 PM
Varsity

Man, that's right off a VHS tape!
Old 08-11-17, 10:18 PM
All World

MPhillips is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
Man, that's right off a VHS tape!
Needs a little, 'tracking.'
Old 08-12-17, 07:54 AM
All District

TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Metzger, what did you think of the match? Pretty tough for a true freshman.
Old 08-12-17, 10:47 AM
All World

MPhillips is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't know ask Go Green or takedown 77 those are his alias's. read those comments its laughable.
Hmmm....
Old 08-12-17, 12:05 PM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
No inside info here, but since all the teaching jobs have been filled with school starting next week, I'm guessing that someone who is already in the District steps up and fills in for a year (Whitney, Reid, Murnan, D.Davis-unless retired, Minner, Planicka)- all good wrestling coaches that also teach in the District. Then maybe next year they go after a more stable candidate who wants the job and is willing to stay and work in the District for a long time. Like I said, I have no inside info, just a hunch.
Old 08-12-17, 12:18 PM
Varsity

Zibroman
I vote for Whitney to step up and take the position as the interim coach....He's a great organizer, relates really well to kids and their parents. He's been around Cincy wrestling a long time and has many wrestling contacts that can assist him with the finer points of wrestling.
Old 08-12-17, 05:43 PM
Varsity

Go Green is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach JDean View Post
No inside info here, but since all the teaching jobs have been filled with school starting next week, I'm guessing that someone who is already in the District steps up and fills in for a year (Whitney, Reid, Murnan, D.Davis-unless retired, Minner, Planicka)- all good wrestling coaches that also teach in the District. Then maybe next year they go after a more stable candidate who wants the job and is willing to stay and work in the District for a long time. Like I said, I have no inside info, just a hunch.
Would have to agree.

Also wanted to point out that I'm not Coach Root. PM me if interested in talking personally.
Old 08-16-17, 05:17 PM
Freshman

BSR is on a distinguished road
Any updates on who is being considered? Seems Rico is a likely candidate. I heard they were talking to him.
Old 08-17-17, 09:48 AM
All Ohio

Unstacked is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR View Post
Any updates on who is being considered? Seems Rico is a likely candidate. I heard they were talking to him.
That would be a big blow to Lakota in a couple ways. You would loose one of the best Wrestling Coaches in the School District and then add him to a rival school that is in the same conference. It would definitely be an upgrade for Mason.
Old 08-20-17, 03:51 PM
All Region

OHIO BEAST is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeDown77 View Post

That was a good college style match.
Old 08-21-17, 08:05 AM
All Region

bearcatrunner is on a distinguished road
Anyone have any news they would like to share under an anonymous forum board name? I would really like to know what is going on and who the new head coach might be. This is like Game of Thrones where every episode things get more interesting.

I've seen some good names being thrown around like Rico, Ryan, Whitney. Mason needs someone who can devote a lot of time to the program and I don't see Ryan being able to do that. I've seen Rico around a lot but don't really know him well. Seems like he might be a good choice. Do not know much about Whitney. Is he a coach at Mason already? If so what grade level? Is he a former coach somewhere like many in the program?

Anyone else a good option? Would Disalvo or Spatola be possibilities. Someone on here knows something and I could use some good news / gossip.
Old 08-21-17, 04:48 PM
Varsity

Comet Chaser is on a distinguished road
There are a lot of names being thrown around. Murn has been beating the bushes. Meyer, McIntyre, Ryan, and Connelly have been mentioned the most. I know there were several personal calls made to see if specific coaches would be interested in leaving their current position to jump on. Hill and Dean were mentioned on here a lot, but it sounds like neither was ever really considered after hearing from the coaches. Disalvo's name comes up with every job opening, but I thought he was at Legacy. With Perez in the mix, Connelly may have a leg up. Whitney is a Mason favorite. He's been a staple at Mason for some time. Great with parents, organized, and involved with football. He can beat the halls and keep the numbers. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-22-17, 10:46 PM
Junior Varsity

Why bother is on a distinguished road
Grim outlook. They lost Dillon Walker to Legacy (huge loss). I thought he may stay if Donathan stayed, but he left. I can't imagine why Donathan wouldn't follow Root? The pre-season is about to start and they don't have a coach. You hate to see the team struggle to get going again. I'm sure they will bounce back but this is an ugly situation for the Mason program. With the direction of the program these last few years you would think they would bring in a seasoned veteran. However, at this point most are getting started on their seasons. I think Murnan may need to come out of retirement.
Old 08-23-17, 05:55 AM
Freshman

getridofspam1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why bother View Post
Grim outlook. They lost Dillon Walker to Legacy (huge loss). I thought he may stay if Donathan stayed, but he left. I can't imagine why Donathan wouldn't follow Root? The pre-season is about to start and they don't have a coach. You hate to see the team struggle to get going again. I'm sure they will bounce back but this is an ugly situation for the Mason program. With the direction of the program these last few years you would think they would bring in a seasoned veteran. However, at this point most are getting started on their seasons. I think Murnan may need to come out of retirement.
Why would Christopher stay? Well for one they have this thing called loyalty and having pride in the program you grew up in. One where you have teammates you've gone to battle with in the past. Another one is that La Salle is not free.

Everyone has to do what they think is right for them! I believe he has close friends on the La Salle team but I believe he has family in Western Brown as well. I think he chooses to stay but you do have one thing right. Mason needs to get this search moving. The sooner they name a coach the more stability it will add. This a prime job with great facilities. It should be gathering a lot of interest. They need a program builder who is willing to beat the halls to get kids into the program where all of the alumni and assistant coaches can teach them what they need to know. Would be great to have a Coach who is great at coaching and all of the other stuff like scheduling. Really need a people person. Honestly a younger version of a Reid or Murnan who is willing to put the long hours in.
Old 08-23-17, 06:53 AM
All District

Owen Warner is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Does your butt hurt? I can tell you first hand, he's about the wrestlers.
Old 08-23-17, 07:47 AM
Freshman

Lets keep this focused on Mason and not Root! Start a new thread or comment about him in the La Salle thread please.
Old 08-23-17, 07:50 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Warner View Post
Does your butt hurt? I can tell you first hand, he's about the wrestlers.
Really? Because he just left a whole team of them for another job. Sounds like that was more about him than "the wrestlers."
Old 08-23-17, 08:42 AM
All District

#Hashtag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
Really? Because he just left a whole team of them for another job. Sounds like that was more about him than "the wrestlers."
Hard to argue there. But I do still have a soft spot with him being a cancer survivor and all. Can't imagine the toll that took on him.
Old 08-23-17, 10:26 AM
All Ohio

Unstacked is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Hashtag View Post
Hard to argue there. But I do still have a soft spot with him being a cancer survivor and all. Can't imagine the toll that took on him.
Yes, Awesome recovery! He seems healthier and heavier than before the cancer. Where did he go for treatment? He must have received the best treatment they had and I'm sure it cost him a ton. Good Luck to him at LaSalle
Old 08-23-17, 11:17 AM
All Ohio

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by getridofspam1 View Post
Why would Christopher stay? Well for one they have this thing called loyalty and having pride in the program you grew up in. One where you have teammates you've gone to battle with in the past. Another one is that La Salle is not free.

Everyone has to do what they think is right for them! I believe he has close friends on the La Salle team but I believe he has family in Western Brown as well. I think he chooses to stay but you do have one thing right. Mason needs to get this search moving. The sooner they name a coach the more stability it will add. This a prime job with great facilities. It should be gathering a lot of interest. They need a program builder who is willing to beat the halls to get kids into the program where all of the alumni and assistant coaches can teach them what they need to know. Would be great to have a Coach who is great at coaching and all of the other stuff like scheduling. Really need a people person. Honestly a younger version of a Reid or Murnan who is willing to put the long hours in.

You say beat the halls....I am fairly sure a new teaching position is not in order this late in the game for the new coach as school has already started. Maybe next year (if the new coach is indeed a teacher), but not this year.

Last edited by LHS WRESTLING; 08-23-17 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-25-17, 10:00 AM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
I personally think LHS would be and excellent choice. He knows the game, has head coaching experience, and I heard he's not happy with his current boss. lol
Old 08-25-17, 10:10 AM
All American

cometfan
I heard from a reliable source that Tim Keeton was offered the position but turned it down due to the smokeless tobacco policy.
Old 08-25-17, 11:21 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS WRESTLING View Post
You say beat the halls....I am fairly sure a new teaching position is not in order this late in the game for the new coach as school has already started. Maybe next year (if the new coach is indeed a teacher), but not this year.
You can still encourage your wrestlers, coaches and AD to put the word out about the wrestling team. You can still Market your team by not being in the halls but that does help. Flyer postings, emails and getting on school announcements can help.

As someone else said the next coach needs to be an all around team builder not a rock polisher. I think the kids/parents whose kids got a lot of attention (ahem the really good kids) loved Root and the kids/parents who were average maybe did not see things the same way. No matter how you saw Root at Mason they had great success with him there. I'm sure he was a big part of it. I don't believe he was ever involved in the Middle School or Grade School programs. I could be wrong. I just think a program like that needs someone more like Murnan and Reid as head coach.
Old 08-26-17, 11:24 AM
Junior Varsity

Why bother is on a distinguished road
Who is going to leave their program this late in the game? Mason is a huge draw, but is someone going to leave a program this late? I see this being an inside hire.
Old 09-11-17, 07:03 AM
Freshman

So do we have any updates on who the new head coach is at Mason yet?
Old 09-11-17, 10:06 AM
All District

#Hashtag is on a distinguished road
they have their guy. should be made public very soon.