Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-09-17, 01:50 PM
Freshman

4x section qualifer is on a distinguished road
New head coach at mason?

Now that root is gone does anyone know who will take over at mason or have any ideas who should?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-17, 02:41 PM
Varsity

Comet Chaser is on a distinguished road
I think that they have a list of possible coaches that were already being thrown around. My fear is that all of the coaches follow Root. I would think Brennan Ryan is the top candidate.
Old 08-09-17, 02:58 PM
All Ohio

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x section qualifer View Post
Now that root is gone does anyone know who will take over at mason or have any ideas who should?
Santa Claus.
Old 08-09-17, 03:00 PM
All World

Suplexer130
I think Jason Dean would actually be a great hire here.
Old 08-09-17, 03:22 PM
All District

TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Brennan Ryan. HANDS down.
Old 08-09-17, 03:32 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suplexer130 View Post
I think Jason Dean would actually be a great hire here.
That's a name I was thinking about but he is head coach at winton woods if I remember right. But Coach Ryan could fit very well himself, this will be interesting who takes over the green powerhouse
Old 08-09-17, 03:33 PM
All World

Suplexer130
Brennan just said recently he stepped away from the mount job to spend more time with his family and on his business. I am not sure jumping back into a head coaching job like Mason right away is in the cards but you never know. Sometimes the right fit can make you reevaluate your plans, I have been there before.
Old 08-09-17, 04:41 PM
Freshman

tubbyone is on a distinguished road
jDean

Hands down jDean is the best man for the job!
Old 08-09-17, 05:06 PM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbyone View Post
Hands down jDean is the best man for the job!
Thanks Tubby, even though I teach at Mason, I am not interested. I put 10 years coaching in that program and helped get it to where it is now. When Vance Reid and myself arrived at Mason in the same year (2001), Mason only had 14 kids on the team 9-12 grade. To see where it is now is something I can be proud of being a part of. Same as when I was at Harrison for 6 years in the mid to late 90's. I was able to see how to build programs the right way and I've coached with and learned from some of the best (Reid, Ernst, Dennis, Baird, Lehman and Murnan who is really like a little brother to me since he was a couple years behind me in HS when we were on the same team). So about 5 years ago I moved on to see if I could build something to be proud of at Winton Woods. Winton Woods only had 4 kids on the HS team when I arrived. Now we are at around 25- 30 kids on the team. We had a kid place 3rd at State last year and AA at Fargo. He is back to make a run at the the title. I am too invested in this Senior class and the boys at Winton Woods to leave now. Loyalty is something I believe strongly in.

Last edited by Coach JDean; 08-09-17 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-09-17, 05:22 PM
All World

MPhillips is on a distinguished road
I watched your wrestler at state last year and even commented on what a big deal it was that Winton Woods had a state placer. Well done coach.
Old 08-09-17, 05:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
I watched your wrestler at state last year and even commented on what a big deal it was that Winton Woods had a state placer. Well done coach.
The Alumni from the 92' very much appreciate the job you've done, coach Dean. We thought, after the merger, the program was dead with the district being a football, basketball, and soccer power.
Old 08-09-17, 07:38 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
It is a great thing you and your staff are doing over there at winton woods, can't wait to see Beachem's run at state.
One question though, has winton woods ever had a state champ?
Old 08-09-17, 07:41 PM
Junior Varsity

4thperiod is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach JDean View Post
Thanks Tubby, even though I teach at Mason, I am not interested. I put 10 years coaching in that program and helped get it to where it is now. When Vance Reid and myself arrived at Mason in the same year (2001), Mason only had 14 kids on the team 9-12 grade. To see where it is now is something I can be proud of being a part of. Same as when I was at Harrison for 6 years in the mid to late 90's. I was able to see how to build programs the right way and I've coached with and learned from some of the best (Reid, Ernst, Dennis, Baird, Lehman and Murnan who is really like a little brother to me since he was a couple years behind me in HS when we were on the same team). So about 5 years ago I moved on to see if I could build something to be proud of at Winton Woods. Winton Woods only had 4 kids on the HS team when I arrived. Now we are at around 25- 30 kids on the team. We had a kid place 3rd at State last year and AA at Fargo. He is back to make a run at the the title. I am too invested in this Senior class and the boys at Winton Woods to leave now. Loyalty is something I believe strongly in.
Old 08-09-17, 08:32 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x section qualifer View Post
It is a great thing you and your staff are doing over there at winton woods, can't wait to see Beachem's run at state.
One question though, has winton woods ever had a state champ?
No. Always been a football and basketball driven school. Forest park last state placer was back in the early 80's, Bill Montgomery( 3rd); Greenhill last state placer was in the 70's. Never had the luxury of having trips to Columbus. The school would have Woody Hayes scout practices instead of Dan Gable. Wrestlers always looked like He-man action figures.
Old 08-10-17, 01:51 AM
All American

CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Honestly, that is inspirational. We need another couple thousands of guys like you around the country for all the Winton Woods' type programs that are going under without someone coming in riding a white horse and saving the program. As a life long wrestling supporter, I would like to say, I appreciate your efforts very much and thank you for everything you are doing to help those young men (and women)!
Old 08-10-17, 01:52 AM
All American

wash.c.h.legend
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmalice View Post
Santa Claus.

Spoke with the fat bastard yesterday. He said the offer would be flattering, but he is just not interested in putting forth the amount of effort necessary to be a HC here in Ohio.
Too bad, he would bring many gifts to the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-17, 02:25 AM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wash.c.h.legend View Post
Spoke with the fat bastard yesterday. He said the offer would be flattering, but he is just not interested in putting forth the amount of effort necessary to be a HC here in Ohio.
Too bad, he would bring many gifts to the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have heard the same. I heard it's due to his other full time job, I guess he's super busy in December or something ..
Old 08-10-17, 05:26 AM
All District

allwhiteeverything is on a distinguished road
I believe they had one state champ I can be wrong but I thought Ian Ruth won state for winton woods I want to say like 1999 or 2000 somewhere around that time

Last edited by allwhiteeverything; 08-10-17 at 05:37 AM.
Old 08-10-17, 06:58 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwhiteeverything View Post
I believe they had one state champ I can be wrong but I thought Ian Ruth won state for winton woods I want to say like 1999 or 2000 somewhere around that time
Ian finshed 3rd in 2001 as a senior; Fairfield's Mike Wayoff won state that year( both guys wrestled 145lbs). He was a football and track standout just like Robert Bouldin was back in the days. Beachem may bring us our first state champ.
Old 08-10-17, 09:59 AM
All Region

CoachCoffey is on a distinguished road
Winton Woods State Champ

I'm not sure about State Champs but this is the score from the 1999 state finals

189: Alexander Lammers, Huber Hts. Wayne dec. Matt Thompson, Cin. Winton Woods 9-5
Old 08-10-17, 10:06 AM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
I can confirm, Matt Thompson (who is a football coach at WW now) is the highest finisher in school history so they have never had a State Champ and Ian Ruth was the last State Placer (2001) until Beachem placed 3rd last year.
Old 08-10-17, 10:12 AM
All District

#Hashtag is on a distinguished road
Why hire a guy who has been dismissed from multiple area high schools?

Bring back Murnan!
Old 08-10-17, 10:14 AM
Varsity

Go Green is on a distinguished road
I would hope that they would tap into the long line of coaches we have had the last few years. Brennan Ryan comes to mind as the frontrunner. Murnan left last year for personal reasons.
Old 08-10-17, 11:17 AM
All American

Slammin Sammy
Quote:
very well said coach. One of my favorite yappi posts in a long time.
Old 08-10-17, 11:21 AM
All American

Slammin Sammy
What about the other name everyone was throwing around for LaSalle, Rico Hill? Rico is an excellent guy, has a great personality that the kids at mason will love to wrestle for and he is a great wrestling mind. He would be a great fit.
Old 08-10-17, 12:04 PM
All World

Suplexer130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammin Sammy View Post
What about the other name everyone was throwing around for LaSalle, Rico Hill? Rico is an excellent guy, has a great personality that the kids at mason will love to wrestle for and he is a great wrestling mind. He would be a great fit.
I heard he was actually going to LaSalle as an assistant, but that may not be true.
Old 08-10-17, 03:30 PM
Freshman

BSR is on a distinguished road
Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suplexer130 View Post
I heard he was actually going to LaSalle as an assistant, but that may not be true.
I heard the same thing.
Old 08-10-17, 07:35 PM
Freshman

Mucraider09 is on a distinguished road
Where did root go?
Old 08-10-17, 08:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucraider09 View Post
Where did root go?
Go to the Coach Zerkle steps down from LaSalle thread. This was some much needed fireworks to end the summer. Yappi was getting to quiet.
Old 08-10-17, 09:25 PM
Varsity

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
So what's the real deal behind Root leaving so soon after he got the job? Is Lasalle that much better of a job? According to other thread Root had been applying for other jobs before he got this one.