Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-04-17, 05:16 PM
All Ohio

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos07 View Post
Any white smoke from the chimney at LaSalle yet?
And drop the Mic...good one sir.
Old 08-07-17, 06:55 AM
Freshman

getridofspam1 is on a distinguished road
The suspense is killing me! Who is it? They most know by now.
Old 08-07-17, 05:16 PM
All American

Danimal Dan is on a distinguished road
My guess is Max Byrd will be the next Head Coach at LaSalle High School. He has been an assistant for several years, has college experience, and was one of the winningest Lancers ever. A two-time state finalist I believe. He is pretty young, but the kids know him and with this much talent he has room to learn on the job. Just my opinion since this announcement just won't come.
Old 08-07-17, 07:56 PM
All American

CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
I suspect if Bryd wanted the heading coaching job it would be his. The head coaching job is a huge time commitment. Being an assistant is as well, don't get me wrong, but the head coach has to be there ALL the time and make sure all paperwork for wrestlers, all the travel arrangements, and fund raising are taken care of properly. Everything ultimately is their responsibility.

Think about this. The school I follow the closest, St. Edward, has had three head coaches in the programs history. It is kinda a running joke how many assistant coaches St. Edward has currently and it obviously a huge benefit when wrestlers get one on one attention from a coach during practice. This was a practice that started under previous head coach, Howard Fergeson. Coach Fergeson is often and correctly accredited with building the St. Edward program into the powerhouse that it is today. When Coach Fergeson passed away unexpectedly and the head coach position opened up, it seemed like a very desirable position, really a lot of similarities to Lasalle's position currently. They had a very talented roster returning, more talent on the way, and excellent assistant coaches in place who had no intention of leaving providing stability.

However, St. Edward didn't have a head coach "in training" if you will and seemingly none of the assistants wanted to take over the head coaching position. In fact, I have been told that they had ZERO applicants from the plethora of assistants in the program. The athletic director at the time was surprised by this and after talking to some of the assistants and essentially one by one each assistant told him they were not interested in the head coaching position because of the tome commitment. They were unable to give the 100 hour weeks that Coach Fergeson put into the program every week in order to build and maintain a program with such high expectations. These were assistant coaches that were already at practice everyday and at tournaments, from weigh-ins to trophy presentations every weekend, just like Coach Bryd now. And while they did have some outside coaches interested, the school decided to go with a football coach who had essentially zero wrestling experience what so ever. However, he had fell in love with the sport after volunteering when the football season was over each year and working with the freshmen and JV level teams while learning more and more from the experts he was coaching with each year. That was 20+ years ago and Coach Urbas is still the head wrestling coach at St. Edward. Needless to say, he has done an amazing job.

The key reason why they offered him the job though, despite not even applying, was because of his willingness to do all of the non-wrestling stuff that is necessary to have an elite program. Get there at 5 am for morning workouts, no problem. Be available for wrestling trips all summer long, no problem. Be available until 10 pm or later every night during season, no problem. Organize a youth tournament for the catholic grade schools, no problem. Host wrestling camps for youth multiple times a year, no problem. Fund raise properly, no problem. Get along with all of the existing assistants, no problem. Willing to be humble and give praise to the others in the program, no problem. Take care of all the paperwork, from weight certifications to travel arrangements, for multiple levels of teams, no problem. Stay up to date and make sure to follow all of the rules put in place by OHSAA and the USAW for kids eligibility, no problem. Oh yeah and make sure practice happens and make sure the team wins, you know the wrestling coaching part.

Essentially, they needed a single man, with no kids, who was on a teacher schedule, who was extraordinarily humble, and willing to commit to thousands of hours of unpaid overtime in order to maintain what Coach Fergeson had in place. They got extremely lucky to find Coach Greg Urbas.

The current state of wrestling in Ohio, doesn't require that crazy level of commitment anymore, but you get the idea. That is kinda where Lasalle is right now, in my opinion. That is a tough position to fill correctly. I don't have any idea what they have done so far, but they are smart to take their time and make sure they hire the right person for their specific position, not necessarily the coach with the best wrestling resume, even though that is obviously a major factor.

I know I am not alone in being really happy to see some high level programs growing in the Cincinatti area. Moeller has been excellent for awhile now, but now Elder and Lasalle are making greater Cincinnati actually competitive with greater Cleveland. I would hate to see the progress that has been made slip because of a bad hire at Lasalle.
Old 08-08-17, 11:26 AM
All American

Danimal Dan is on a distinguished road
Really appreciate your answer Curious and I agree that Coach Ferguson was one of a kind, but that Coach Urbas has somehow kept the SE program at the top for another 25 years...amazing. LaSalle needs a great coach like that for sure....the right person says it all. I want to see the Lancers continue to have a solid program to push my Elder Panthers and the rest of Cincinnati to keep getting better. I don't know Max Byrd well enough to know if he could grow into that type of coach, but I hope so.
Old 08-08-17, 09:57 PM
Freshman

BSR is on a distinguished road
Sounding more and more like Ryan Root is going to be the guy. I've been doing some research on the guy and I can't find anything that says he was an accomplished wrestler, not that it matters. Just curious if he was any good in his own career.
Old 08-08-17, 11:43 PM
Freshman

BeepBeepImAJeep is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR View Post
Sounding more and more like Ryan Root is going to be the guy. I've been doing some research on the guy and I can't find anything that says he was an accomplished wrestler, not that it matters. Just curious if he was any good in his own career.

Ryan was very successful in high school in Ohio and went on to wrestle heavyweight for Penn State and eventually got 3rd at the Olympic or world trials I believe at one point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-17, 11:46 PM
Freshman

BeepBeepImAJeep is on a distinguished road
Actually maybe not heavyweight but I know for sure he wrestled at Penn State

Old 08-09-17, 12:33 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
3x Illinois h.s. state placer, Ohio h.s. state placer & All- American for West Chester Lakota, before the split.

Last edited by darthmalice; 08-09-17 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-09-17, 06:15 AM
Varsity

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Lasalle and Coach Root, I would love for my boy to wrestle for him

Old 08-09-17, 06:52 AM
All District

allwhiteeverything is on a distinguished road
Congrats coach root great pick
Old 08-09-17, 09:11 AM
Varsity

Go Green is on a distinguished road
It pains me to say goodbye to our coach, but all good things must come to an end. LaSalle High got a good one. On behalf of the Mason program and community, thank you Coach Root for the time and effort.
Old 08-09-17, 09:31 AM
All District

grappledude is on a distinguished road
Not surprised that Root left Mason. He never really developed anyone there. He's better at working with established wrestlers.
Old 08-09-17, 12:48 PM
Freshman

4x section qualifer is on a distinguished road
Who is taking over mason if root is leaving?
Old 08-09-17, 01:27 PM
Freshman

HiC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x section qualifer View Post
Does Root bring his assistants from Mason with him?
Are there any potential transfers coming from Mason into Lasalle as a result?
Old 08-09-17, 01:38 PM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x section qualifer View Post
I guess this will be the next thread to be started. Mason has a lot of quality coaches walking the halls working there. I wish them and Coach Root the best of luck!
Old 08-09-17, 01:48 PM
All American

Beaster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach JDean View Post
I guess this will be the next thread to be started. Mason has a lot of quality coaches walking the halls working there. I wish them and Coach Root the best of luck!
JDean
Old 08-09-17, 01:55 PM
All American

CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
Mason and Lasalle are what, about 30 minutes away from each other? I wouldn't think any upper class wrestlers transfer because they would have to sit out a year or at least part of the year transferring from a public to a private school unless they physically moved or met one of the other exception criteria.

However, maybe some of the quality incoming freshmen could follow. Someone like Dillon Walker, who would fit into the Lasalle lineup very nicely. I have no idea on existing relationships and am completely just thinking out loud here, I am not saying this is actually happening or anything. Just a thought.
Old 08-09-17, 02:38 PM
Varsity

Comet Chaser is on a distinguished road
This will be a tough blow to Mason wrestling. Coach Root has been a center piece for 6 years. "He hasn't developed anyone?" you don't know much about wrestling. Sucks to see him go. I would assume Donathan and Walker will follow Root.
Old 08-09-17, 03:31 PM
Varsity

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet Chaser View Post
This will be a tough blow to Mason wrestling. Coach Root has been a center piece for 6 years. "He hasn't developed anyone?" you don't know much about wrestling. Sucks to see him go. I would assume Donathan and Walker will follow Root.
Why would they automatically follow him? He's a good coach but let's not act like Mason was some bottom dweller before he got there. Coach Murman did a great job and there have been countless others who've helped make the program what it is. Mason will be just fine.
Old 08-09-17, 04:15 PM
Freshman

getridofspam1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet Chaser View Post
I'm not the one your pointing at but the statement before was 100% correct. Root can take wrestlers from great to blue chip. However, he has no clue how to build a program. The post about what the St Eds coaches are doing and what Zerkle did at Lasalle are coaches who build programs. Root takes really good wrestlers and makes them better. Root is not Murnan, or McCoy etc ...

With that said he is the perfect fit for LaSalle right now. That team for the next 4 to 6 years is going to be awesome but what after that?
Old 08-09-17, 06:34 PM
All District

allwhiteeverything is on a distinguished road
Let his work speak for itself I believe 13 out 14 make it out
Old 08-09-17, 08:35 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwhiteeverything View Post
I'll take that bet. You have the heavyweight as the lone casualty?
Old 08-09-17, 09:01 PM
Freshman

BSR is on a distinguished road
Lineup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwhiteeverything View Post
Who do you have as the 14? That will determine the bet.
Old 08-09-17, 10:09 PM
Varsity

Go Green is on a distinguished road
I don't know what qualifies as a coach that can develop a program but I think most within our program would agree Root was heavily involved in what Mason has been built into the last few years. I think he has been here for 5 years and changed the atmosphere and expectation across the board. This past years team were heavily laced with wrestlers he worked with for the past four seasons. He wasn't a head coach but he was Murns righthand man. A lot of you are on here taking shots, but LaSalle just got the best coach in the area. If you haven't ever had him in your program how can you judge? I've never seen another coach put in the hours he did. You can ask the wrestlers, the parents, and the coaches at Mason about him as a coach. He was great for Mason. Good luck Coach Root.
Old 08-09-17, 10:34 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
From my experience Root has always done a great job developing wrestlers. I base this on what the kid went from when they first stepped on the mat as a freshman to what how they wrestled their senior year. For whatever reason we tend to only give credit for when "We" first notice a wrestler to when they finish their career. Truth is we didn't pay attention to said wrestler before they came up on the map. Big loss for Mason but I feel he'll still be involved with some of those kids through open mats and such.
Old 08-10-17, 08:21 AM
Freshman

HiC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Who do you have as the 14? That will determine the bet.
Saw this on the Rankings thread. It may help in the discussion:

I wonder if a few former Golden Cross kids that went elsewhere for HS may consider a transfer to build the Southwest Dream Team or just some stud looking to take SW to the top of the team standings? Looks like slotting in a person in the 152/160/170 range with the combo of Donothan and Sizemore and maybe a Hvy would set a dangerous lineup that may challenge for a very high placement in the individual and dual state tournaments. Sizemore has wrestled in the 180s this spring/summer and Donothan was listed at 170 to begin with, so they may have flexibility with those 2 from 52-70 to accommodate the right person.
So, who from the SW would make this lineup compete with the likes of Eds?
Build your team...Snodgrass #3, Heyob #6, etc.

106 Norris #2
113 Byrd #2
120 Allen #15
126 Wyles NR
132 D Heard #9
138 E Heard #7
145 Walker #5
152 Donothan #4
160 Sizemore #8
170 ?
182 Wilson #4
195 Baker #4
220 Bledsoe #2
Hvy ?
Old 08-10-17, 09:12 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiC View Post
Saw this on the Rankings thread. It may help in the discussion:

I wonder if a few former Golden Cross kids that went elsewhere for HS may consider a transfer to build the Southwest Dream Team or just some stud looking to take SW to the top of the team standings? Looks like slotting in a person in the 152/160/170 range with the combo of Donothan and Sizemore and maybe a Hvy would set a dangerous lineup that may challenge for a very high placement in the individual and dual state tournaments. Sizemore has wrestled in the 180s this spring/summer and Donothan was listed at 170 to begin with, so they may have flexibility with those 2 from 52-70 to accommodate the right person.
So, who from the SW would make this lineup compete with the likes of Eds?
Build your team...Snodgrass #3, Heyob #6, etc.

106 Norris #2
113 Byrd #2
120 Allen #15
126 Wyles NR
132 D Heard #9
138 E Heard #7
145 Walker #5
152 Donothan #4
160 Sizemore #8
170 ?
182 Wilson #4
195 Baker #4
220 Bledsoe #2
Hvy ?
But riddle me this, Batman:
@120lbs you have Zach Shupp, Fairfield/ Andrew Knick, Northmont/ Logan Hoskins, Butler/ Cameron Baird, Harrison/ Jedidah Marlow, Western Brown.

@126lbs you have Ronnie Pietro, Butler/ Jack Collins, Elder/ Seth Taylor, Western Brown/ Jacob Bernhardt, Harrison/ Kobey Bronaugh, Milford/ David Hasty, Stebbins.

@170lbs you have Cornell Beachem, Winton Woods/ Ti'ric Evans, Elder/ Joey Bradberry, Lakota West/ Sebastian Beachler, Miamisburg/ Shane Shoop, Troy/ Ian Knabe, Loveland/ Jaden Hardrick, Wayne.

@Hvy you have Alec Moore-Nash, Elder/ Zaid Hamden, Mason/ Jacob Padilla, Wayne/ Jack Heyob, St. X/ Jon Hardin, Miamisburg/ Josh Walls, Beavercreek/ Seth Jermer, Western Brown.

Barring weight changes, injuries, transfers they look like 10( 120lb, 126lb tough) get to state.

Southwest could place over 30 in the stars and draws alignment is good.

*sources are Borofan and McClearn7 rankings.
Old 08-10-17, 09:24 AM
All World

bdhof is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmalice View Post
3x Illinois h.s. state placer, Ohio h.s. state placer & All- American for West Chester Lakota, before the split.
2x Ill state champ and Oh runnerup
I think he also won a Jr national championship (cadet, fargo or Jr nationals - not sure which one) and was 2nd in the NHSWC
Old 08-10-17, 09:41 AM
All Region

Latman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmalice View Post
But riddle me this, Batman:
@120lbs you have Zach Shupp, Fairfield/ Andrew Knick, Northmont/ Logan Hoskins, Butler/ Cameron Baird, Harrison/ Jedidah Marlow, Western Brown.

@126lbs you have Ronnie Pietro, Butler/ Jack Collins, Elder/ Seth Taylor, Western Brown/ Jacob Bernhardt, Harrison/ Kobey Bronaugh, Milford/ David Hasty, Stebbins.

@170lbs you have Cornell Beachem, Winton Woods/ Ti'ric Evans, Elder/ Joey Bradberry, Lakota West/ Sebastian Beachler, Miamisburg/ Shane Shoop, Troy/ Ian Knabe, Loveland/ Jaden Hardrick, Wayne.

@Hvy you have Alec Moore-Nash, Elder/ Zaid Hamden, Mason/ Jacob Padilla, Wayne/ Jack Heyob, St. X/ Jon Hardin, Miamisburg/ Josh Walls, Beavercreek/ Seth Jermer, Western Brown.

Barring weight changes, injuries, transfers they look like 10( 120lb, 126lb tough) get to state.

Southwest could place over 30 in the stars and draws alignment is good.

*sources are Borofan and McClearn7 rankings.
Not Batman, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once.

120 will be tough to get out for LaSalle with 4 ranked kids in the District ahead of Allen. Of course Shupp is listed at 120 and I always think he will wrestle a higher weight class as well, but when the season comes, he seems to make 106 again. So, will he truly be at 120 or maybe 113? Darth, would have the inside scoop with this one.

126 will be tough to get out for Lasalle with Wyles. He is not ranked and a number of good kids at this weight.

170 Maybe Sizemore goes 170 instead of 160. If so, I think he is #2 in the District behind Beechem and infront of Evans. Which leaves 160 open for Donothan to move up or a transfer to come in to solidify a strong middle lineup.

Hvy I'm not sure Lasalle has one, but perhaps one comes with Root. If so, that will be a big impact on the team race.

Of course all of this is pre-season talk and kids will need to live up to their potential and some will get better than they are now. Should be interesting to see if transfers do come in for Lasalle and if any would leave due to transfers in? If they do get a 152/160/170 stud to come over with Donothan and Sizemore in that range, along with a Heavy, this will be a very tough lineup.