Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-21-17, 05:49 PM
All Ohio

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORE2WIN View Post
Anyone heard anything about who applied or is in the running?
I did. The 2nd interview will take place at Bohemian Grove, 12am during the next blood moon.
Old 07-22-17, 09:26 PM
All District

TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
The position has been filled. No announcement as to whom the new coach is from the administration, but they are no longer taking applications. They have made their choice.

It's either DiSalvo or Root. My guess, DiSalvo.
Old 07-22-17, 09:41 PM
All Ohio

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeDown77 View Post
The position has been filled. No announcement as to whom the new coach is from the administration, but they are no longer taking applications. They have made their choice.

It's either DiSalvo or Root. My guess, DiSalvo.
Root?
Old 07-22-17, 10:33 PM
Varsity

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
Coach Zerkle steps down at Lasalle

I don't see root leaving mason. So if it's between those two I'd say Disalvo is the new coach. Plus not taking applications doesn't always mean they've picked one. It could also mean they've gotten all they need and it's time to start narrowing the field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-17, 11:08 PM
Varsity

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Disalvo is a great technician. If Lasalle hires him after what he did at Thomas More they are nuts.
Old 07-23-17, 01:33 AM
All District

wresfan is on a distinguished road
If disalvo is the new coach look for Hoskins to follow him there
Old 07-23-17, 11:36 AM
Varsity

clubbalang is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmalice View Post
Root?
I wouldnt be surprised if Root put in for the job as he tried to get the St.X and Moeller job. However hes sitting in a pretty good situation at Mason so who knows.
Old 07-26-17, 09:05 PM
All District

So the job was officially open 3 weeks ago. It was never posted. No interviews have officially been given. An email was sent from the principal to a prospective applicant that the position has been officially filled. What gives? They have their guy-but won't announce who it is.
Old 07-26-17, 09:35 PM
All District

allwhiteeverything is on a distinguished road
I don't kno what's going on come on lasalle
Old 07-26-17, 09:38 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwhiteeverything View Post
I don't kno what's going on come on lasalle
If you want the most bang for your buck long term-
Rico Hill -Head Coach
Ryan Root-assistant coach

Old 07-27-17, 06:15 AM
All Ohio

craceman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wresfan View Post
If disalvo is the new coach look for Hoskins to follow him there
With the risk of eating crow. I'm gonna say no way Hoskins follows Disalvo heading into his Senior year!
Old 07-27-17, 08:15 AM
Freshman

BSR is on a distinguished road
Head coach: DiSalvo
Assistant: Rico Hill
Old 07-27-17, 08:27 AM
All District

Disalvo and Rico that's a great combo they might not even kno each other I been n both room and they both show great skill of coaching I can't wait to see how things work out
Old 07-27-17, 08:46 AM
Freshman

sportjunkie is on a distinguished road
DiSalvo/Hill = speculation or fact?
Old 07-27-17, 09:02 AM
All District

Speculation no one have a clue who they have in mind but for my money them two is the best fit
Old 07-30-17, 05:19 PM
All District

Any news on the new coach are when they will say something
Old 07-31-17, 09:47 AM
Freshman

getridofspam1 is on a distinguished road
So anyone with any news or does anyone want to put in writing who they actually think it will be? It is a great job at the moment with a whole lot of momentum but LaSalle has never been a hot spot of wrestling like say a Moeller, Elder or Fairfield. If I am choosing the next coach I would choose DiSalvo. In a perfect world you would get one of the Jordan's to come down. Is Spatola an option?

Root would be a great choice if you were looking to win now. He has shown he can take good talent and make it great.
Old 07-31-17, 01:23 PM
Varsity

Smoke Screen is an unknown quantity at this point
Disalvo would be the best available option. Highly doubt Root would leave Mason hanging this close to the start of the school year.
Old 07-31-17, 10:05 PM
Freshman

executive director is on a distinguished road
I have to agree it's either Disalvo or Root. Anyone else and the smart ones jump ship. The problem is Disalvo has already proven he's not willing to make the drive to Cincinnati, however would be a great young option for many years to come, if he was committed. Root is a likely choice, as stated above, he has proven the ability to take good and make it great, and Lasalle is loaded with talent. But I don't see how they can pry him away from Mason.

I have heard the budget is razor thin and they already were wanting money from Zerkles camps and club. So why would Disalvo or Root walk away from great situations respectively. I see this being the beginning of the end for the Lancers. They'll have a good couple of years, but without one of these two guys, this is just a downward spiral. The reality is Zerkle walked away for a reason. This is a sinking ship unless the right guy can right it. Root or Disalvo; Anyone else and the smart ones just join Root or Disalvo.

I had heard Root took the job, but then heard confirmation that wasn't the case. I heard they reached out to Disalvo but that he worked in Columbus and wouldn't make the drive. Back to the drawing board.
Old 08-01-17, 09:16 AM
Freshman

getridofspam1 is on a distinguished road
The big question is if Lasalle wants to win now or build for many years. I've always been impressed with what someone like Coach Root has done but he has never stayed in a spot to really build a program. I'm not sure he is really even building the program up in Mason or just taking advantage of talent. Has DiSalvo had success at all levels?

Zerkle really built that program from the bottom up. Who else can do something like that? Who has the talent to not just do it at the High School level but build up the youth programs that feed into these schools. Maybe if more schools developed more of their own wrestlers we would have less of this switching school stuff and loyalty would follow. Would a Willie Wineberg be a good option?
Old 08-01-17, 10:51 AM
Freshman

4x section qualifer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by getridofspam1 View Post
The big question is if Lasalle wants to win now or build for many years. I've always been impressed with what someone like Coach Root has done but he has never stayed in a spot to really build a program. I'm not sure he is really even building the program up in Mason or just taking advantage of talent. Has DiSalvo had success at all levels?

Zerkle really built that program from the bottom up. Who else can do something like that? Who has the talent to not just do it at the High School level but build up the youth programs that feed into these schools. Maybe if more schools developed more of their own wrestlers we would have less of this switching school stuff and loyalty would follow. Would a Willie Wineberg be a good option?
Rico Hill makes the most sense to me
Old 08-01-17, 10:58 AM
Varsity

Go Green is on a distinguished road
i'm hoping Root stays right where he's at. He's done a great job at Mason. Easily the best in the business.
Old 08-01-17, 11:06 AM
All District

wrestling world is on a distinguished road
Rico is an great young coach for the kids, but does he have any head coaching experience? The administrative side of coaching is what always does coaches in. I'm sure he would do well with the kids, but he needs to cut his teeth with a place a little more controllable. Disalvo is similar, except he has run his club and Finger Lakes, but the Tom More position was a black eye though. Root is the easy choice amongst these three. He hasn't stayed anywhere too long, but he seems to always leave the program better than he started. He's been at Mason for 6 years, not sure about where he was prior. Don't see much reason for him to leave.
Any chance one of the old timers comes out of the retirement? Gaier, McCoy, etc?
Old 08-01-17, 11:21 AM
Junior Varsity

Why bother is on a distinguished road
It's Roots if he wants it. I just don't see any reason to leave all he has going at Mason. Man, talk about opening a can of worms. Root at a school where kids can wrestle without moving. I see a state title in the mix. In regards to him jumping around. he's only been two places as far as I know; Springboro and Mason.

Last edited by Why bother; 08-01-17 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-01-17, 11:50 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why bother View Post
I just don't see any reason to leave all he has going at Mason. I see a state title in the mix.
Wouldn't being in the mix for a state title as you put it be the reason to leave?
Old 08-01-17, 11:50 AM
All World

Suplexer130
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling world View Post
Any chance one of the old timers comes out of the retirement? Gaier, McCoy, etc?
I don't see either of those guys coming back to a GCL school, or really at all for that matter.
Old 08-01-17, 12:01 PM
Varsity

Comet Chaser is on a distinguished road
Root has proven to be one of the best around BUT...I'm not sure why he would leave a school that offers the best facilities in the state with great support to go to a place where they have to share the room with multiple other sports in season. LaSalle was not built over the past X number of years by Zerkle. Shie and Byrd have built it by getting the right kids involved. The problem was that they next group was interested in the Golden Cross product. Zerkle left for a number of reason, but they all point to one thing... It's a sinking ship. Catholic enrollment is down and dropping. He has little in the pipeline outside of this current high school group. The club scene is struggling with low numbers. His camps have fallen off in numbers. The budget is miniscule. The wrestlers are a bunch of prima donna's. I heard one wasn't going to wrestle in the state duals because he didn't care about the team. Others seem to get hurt the second real competition hits. Coaches stabbing eachother in the back. Parents coaching from the bleachers. The list goes on and on but the underlying issue is clear; Lasalle is heading down a slippery slope. Without a big name the dissolve back to where they were. Fast forward to Root...He's looking at a program that has little future ahead compared to a program that is built to last. Stay Green Coach Root.
Old 08-01-17, 12:26 PM
Varsity

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
How does a guy from Mason have so much insight about the Lasalle program?
Old 08-01-17, 12:33 PM
All District

Comet chaser what your saying will not keep root there ha ha lasalle will be great with the talent they have who will beat them the next two years hell 4 years around here with root in the room more kids will come jus like 2020 classs and 2021 class great kids want to wrestle great kids and FYI hill have coach before get facts together well Rico or root will do well as a lancer
Old 08-01-17, 01:20 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwhiteeverything View Post
Comet chaser what your saying will not keep root there ha ha lasalle will be great with the talent they have who will beat them the next two years hell 4 years around here with root in the room more kids will come jus like 2020 classs and 2021 class great kids want to wrestle great kids and FYI hill have coach before get facts together well Rico or root will do well as a lancer