Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-08-17, 06:17 AM
All American

Dionysus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge1 View Post
Heck, LaSalle came within a nose hair of beating St. Edward this year. Now, "The Class," that I have been hearing about for 2-3 years, is finally ready to arrive and potentially finish off climbing that mountain, even if it is incredibly steep and a difficult climb at the very top of that mountain.
You are incorrect. Lasalle did beat St. Edward in a dual this year. It is worth saying St. Ed's was not at full strength which showed in the state dual and state team results.

Lasalle finished 9th in state team(behind local rivals Mason and Elder), and they were 97.5 points behind state champion St. Edward.

Lasalle lost to Massillon Perry 40-21 at the state dual tournament in the first round. St. Edward beat Massillon Perry in the state dual finals 39-24.

Back on topic. It is definitely odd for a coach to resign with his team having such high expectations this year. We did see this last year with Coach Murnan leaving Mason. It seems if you want to have a top program but also want to be around for your own family it is not possible any more. Both coaches have cited family as their reason for resigning. Good luck to Coach Zerkle in his future endeavors.
Old 07-08-17, 08:00 AM
All Ohio

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Being a coach or even a lead supervisor at work is incredibly taxing as most of us know. No amount of money or success will reconcile any time not spent with your love or heart. In these times, family should be top of any list of achievement and no explaining given. Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops has a top 3 recruiting class this year and just signed an extension a few years ago, resigned a few months ago( not due to health). Maybe coach Z was an amazing game developer while in college and together with one of his kids discovered the next Halo. For what it's worth I think more people should be like coach Zerkle, Murnan, and Stoops and honestly leave on their own terms, not due to bad health or performance. If your heart is some where else, it's cool ya did good and made those programs better; life is short and family is eternal. I spend far more time at work then with my family, not good in the long run. This is the way times are today. Appreciate all of the coaches and asst. coaches for the time you spend away from your families.
Old 07-08-17, 12:59 PM
All Ohio

Unstacked is on a distinguished road
Just one question, was Zerkle a better technician/coach or a better recruiter of talent. He did market his Brand (Golden Cross) well. It's easy to coach talent. Just wondering who are some of the kids he developed while at LaSalle that weren't any good when they got there? He did help put LaSalle on the map and improved SW wrestling overall and for that we thank him. Good Luck Coach on your future endeavors.
Old 07-08-17, 01:56 PM
All American

CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
You are incorrect. Lasalle did beat St. Edward in a dual this year. It is worth saying St. Ed's was not at full strength which showed in the state dual and state team results.

Lasalle finished 9th in state team(behind local rivals Mason and Elder), and they were 97.5 points behind state champion St. Edward.

Lasalle lost to Massillon Perry 40-21 at the state dual tournament in the first round. St. Edward beat Massillon Perry in the state dual finals 39-24.

Back on topic. It is definitely odd for a coach to resign with his team having such high expectations this year. We did see this last year with Coach Murnan leaving Mason. It seems if you want to have a top program but also want to be around for your own family it is not possible any more. Both coaches have cited family as their reason for resigning. Good luck to Coach Zerkle in his future endeavors.
I was referring to a State Championship being the ultimate goal. I was thinking they had lost the regular season dual by an extremely close score though for some reason. I had that mixed up in my mind. Either way the point remains the same. LaSalle did that BEFORE this incoming class of Freshmen arrived. This incoming class of Freshmen I have been hearing about for quite awhile and they have lofty expectations for some people. I compare it the group Wadsworth put together that people were predicting to beat St. Edward at the State Tournament 4-5 years out from it actually happening. To their credit, they were correct, Wadsworth did break the DI Championship streak. This LaSalle group has the same type of talk surrounding them, although LaSalle was starting from a much lower place than the historically pretty strong Wadsworth program.

It will be interesting to see what comes of LaSalle's program. The foundation for some sustained excellence is certainly in place. I have no idea about the administration at the school or existing parents for that matter, but the athletes are ready to compete.
Old 07-08-17, 03:17 PM
Freshman

HiC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge1 View Post
I was referring to a State Championship being the ultimate goal. I was thinking they had lost the regular season dual by an extremely close score though for some reason. I had that mixed up in my mind. Either way the point remains the same. LaSalle did that BEFORE this incoming class of Freshmen arrived. This incoming class of Freshmen I have been hearing about for quite awhile and they have lofty expectations for some people. I compare it the group Wadsworth put together that people were predicting to beat St. Edward at the State Tournament 4-5 years out from it actually happening. To their credit, they were correct, Wadsworth did break the DI Championship streak. This LaSalle group has the same type of talk surrounding them, although LaSalle was starting from a much lower place than the historically pretty strong Wadsworth program.

It will be interesting to see what comes of LaSalle's program. The foundation for some sustained excellence is certainly in place. I have no idea about the administration at the school or existing parents for that matter, but the athletes are ready to compete.
While the class coming to LaSalle has some good kids ( Norris State Champ, Heard runner-up, Wyles 6th, Sands?), I'm not sure it is considered elite and the lone State Champ Norris was not a guarantee to be at LaSalle until this past season. So I'm not sure about the foreshadowing of this class as some dynasty building, but I'd say they will help fill out the lineup on a very good team and atleast one will not be in the lineup unless Elan or his brother goes 145 and I don't think any are that big, but maybe Elan has grown? The class that was talked about for LaSalle would be the New Junior class. They came in with 3 Jr High State Champs (Byrd, Baker, Uran), Runner-up in Bledsoe, Stud who didn't wrestle at state Sizemore and maybe a few others I can't recall.
All in all, Zerkle assembled a very good team that started with the graduated Senior class with Shie being the Lynch pin. With Zerkle's departure , it could be interesting to see what happens as a number of those kids came to LaSalle due to him specifically.
Old 07-08-17, 04:03 PM
Varsity

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstacked View Post
Just one question, was Zerkle a better technician/coach or a better recruiter of talent. He did market his Brand (Golden Cross) well. It's easy to coach talent. Just wondering who are some of the kids he developed while at LaSalle that weren't any good when they got there? He did help put LaSalle on the map and improved SW wrestling overall and for that we thank him. Good Luck Coach on your future endeavors.
I love how people talk about recruiting as if Zerkle was making in home visits. Kids go to schools because of the talent that exists and the coaching. Golden Cross has developed a ton of talent. There are multiple OAC champs that got better as a result of being in that room every day. These are the same kids that are being talked about in this thread. None of these kids would be going to Lasalle or GC if he wasn't a great coach. If you've been to a GC practice you'd realize it's Zerkle that's the lead guy there day in and day out. Not to say that Byrd and Co weren't there step for step but it was Zerkle that built that program from the ground up.
Old 07-08-17, 05:04 PM
All Region

Latman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
I love how people talk about recruiting as if Zerkle was making in home visits. Kids go to schools because of the talent that exists and the coaching. Golden Cross has developed a ton of talent. There are multiple OAC champs that got better as a result of being in that room every day. These are the same kids that are being talked about in this thread. None of these kids would be going to Lasalle or GC if he wasn't a great coach. If you've been to a GC practice you'd realize it's Zerkle that's the lead guy there day in and day out. Not to say that Byrd and Co weren't there step for step but it was Zerkle that built that program from the ground up.
Old 07-08-17, 11:34 PM
All Ohio

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Zerkle did build that team from the ground up, but he did it with Jeff Byrd! You are foolish to not not look at how valuable he is. He was and IS a HUGE part of the equation and has been there FROM DAY ONE! Jeff has proven his loyalty to Lasalle and Zerk time and time again. Boggs is a huge piece as well. If the new coach is smart he keeps these two on board, as well as Max Byrd.

Last edited by LHS WRESTLING; 07-08-17 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-09-17, 09:44 AM
Freshman

executive director is on a distinguished road
It was a great run. Zerkle should be proud of what he accomplished. You can't blame a man for looking to take care of his family. Hats off to him. I have heard that his replacement is already in the works. It sounds like a great choice <I'll leave it to the school or the coach to make the announcement.> Best of luck to the Zerkles and the Lancers moving forward.
Old 07-09-17, 10:09 AM
Freshman

sammy is on a distinguished road
He also had a lost to the state champ to at Philo.
Old 07-09-17, 10:16 AM
Varsity

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS WRESTLING View Post
Zerkle did build that team from the ground up, but he did it with Jeff Byrd! You are foolish to not not look at how valuable he is. He was and IS a HUGE part of the equation and has been there FROM DAY ONE! Jeff has proven his loyalty to Lasalle and Zerk time and time again. Boggs is a huge piece as well. If the new coach is smart he keeps these two on board, as well as Max Byrd.
I'm not sure if you actually READ my post. I clearly said Jeff Byrd has been by his side throughout. The main point was addressing the question the OP made regarding recruiting vs coaching.
Old 07-09-17, 10:25 AM
All District

allwhiteeverything is on a distinguished road
Who should be the new coach at lasalle
Old 07-09-17, 11:12 AM
All District

TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwhiteeverything View Post
Who should be the new coach at lasalle
Koballa. Hands down.
Old 07-09-17, 07:04 PM
All District

cpdfizzy
Zerkle did a great job at Lasalle, and I wish him well. The GCL was a tough place to come into a start a program from scratch and he did a great job. FYI their is only one current head coach in the GCL with any State Champions and that is Coach Wynn of St. Xavier with two undefeated State Champs.
Old 07-09-17, 07:46 PM
All American

Beaster is on a distinguished road
Lots of great recent wrestlers but when I hear Laselle I think "Byrd's the word" !
Old 07-09-17, 08:14 PM
All Ohio

LHS WRESTLING is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not sure if you actually READ my post. I clearly said Jeff Byrd has been by his side throughout. The main point was addressing the question the OP made regarding recruiting vs coaching.
Yes, I READ your post. My point was to this statement made by you,: "Not to say that Byrd and Co weren't there step for step but it was Zerkle that built that program from the ground up."

That is where I want to stress that yes Zerkle did build it from the ground up.... with the help of Jeff Byrd who also built it from the GROUND UP. The big difference is that I think Jeff is way more instrumental then Zerkle in helping get the roster filled with all the talent he currently has, AND the crop of talent he would have for years to come starting at the youth level. Make no mistake on that.

Last edited by LHS WRESTLING; 07-09-17 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-09-17, 09:15 PM
Freshman

URBANDAWGPOUND is on a distinguished road
I have no insight on anything just throwing this out..is it possible he is going to Graham to help then take over for Jordan soon?
Old 07-10-17, 10:59 AM
All District

Unmmm no you sound crazy
Old 07-10-17, 11:53 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS WRESTLING View Post
Yes, I READ your post. My point was to this statement made by you,: "Not to say that Byrd and Co weren't there step for step but it was Zerkle that built that program from the ground up."

That is where I want to stress that yes Zerkle did build it from the ground up.... with the help of Jeff Byrd who also built it from the GROUND UP. The big difference is that I think Jeff is way more instrumental then Zerkle in helping get the roster filled with all the talent he currently has, AND the crop of talent he would have for years to come starting at the youth level. Make no mistake on that.
Agree with this 100%, it takes a whole staff to take a program to another level. It's not just the work of one man. I'm still waiting to hear about the first year freshman wrestler that he took to another level. Most of their kids were already talented when they arrived at LaSalle/Golden Cross. Do most people think Zerkle over or underachieved with the talent he had? I think he was an asset to the SW Wrestling community and he provided many opportunities for kids to get better. In that aspect, he will be sorely missed. He definitely put a ton of time and effort to get it to where they are today.
Old 07-10-17, 01:50 PM
All District

[QUOTE=Unstacked;6788039]I'm still waiting to hear about the first year freshman wrestler that he took to another level. QUOTE]

Anthony Milano. 2x state placer.
Old 07-10-17, 03:23 PM
All Region

cosh wrestling dad is on a distinguished road
Wonder why the reason is so hush hush???? Normally there are 5 post about what camp GC is having or where their kids finished last week. Now no one knows anything?
Old 07-10-17, 05:08 PM
Varsity

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosh wrestling dad View Post
Wonder why the reason is so hush hush???? Normally there are 5 post about what camp GC is having or where their kids finished last week. Now no one knows anything?

Well the camps are over and it's summer time so no one wrestled last week. He posted a letter on the golden cross Facebook page stating he wanted to spend more time with his family. He has 4 young kids and to be with them more. I know nothing more than that but from what I do know of Zerkle he's a stand up guy so if that's what he says then that's it. Everything does not have to have a conspiracy theory ties to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-17, 05:52 PM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=TakeDown77;6788085]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstacked View Post
I'm still waiting to hear about the first year freshman wrestler that he took to another level. QUOTE]

Anthony Milano. 2x state placer.
Wow, 134 career wins and placed 8th twice at 113. That would be a huge accomplishment if he just started wrestling as a Freshman.
Old 07-10-17, 06:05 PM
All District

;
Old 07-10-17, 10:45 PM
All District

pintowin27 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Unstacked;6788213]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeDown77 View Post

Wow, 134 career wins and placed 8th twice at 113. That would be a huge accomplishment if he just started wrestling as a Freshman.
Huge accomplishment even if he started at age 6
Old 07-18-17, 03:19 PM
All District

#Hashtag is on a distinguished road
Plenty of quality local assistant coaches that could slide in ---

Rico Hill
Nick Leforce
Arlen Lampe (has head coaching experience)
Max Byrd
Old 07-18-17, 05:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Hashtag View Post
Plenty of quality local assistant coaches that could slide in ---

Rico Hill
Nick Leforce
Arlen Lampe (has head coaching experience)
Max Byrd
Add G4Greatness Lindsey to the mix. He would be a great candidate. I don't think he gets the love he deserves at Moeller for what he does.
Old 07-21-17, 07:50 AM
Varsity

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
Anyone heard anything about who applied or is in the running?
Old 07-21-17, 12:57 PM
All District

G4greatness is on a distinguished road
I usually don't post when ppl say silly stuff but this comment is by far too funny to me.

Not by any means am I going there. I rather lose to my competition than join then.
Old 07-21-17, 04:07 PM
All District

Rico hill will be great at lasalle he already do privates with some of the wrestlers for the last 5 years