Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-10-17, 09:55 AM
Freshman

BSR is on a distinguished road
Lineup

What about the older Dunn boy? Does he fit into this? They also have Freshman Sands that could easily shake up a lineup if he reaches his potential ... not sure what he weighs though. I saw him a few weeks ago causing havoc for several of these kids during open mats.
Old 08-10-17, 10:47 AM
All Region

Latman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR View Post
What about the older Dunn boy? Does he fit into this? They also have Freshman Sands that could easily shake up a lineup if he reaches his potential ... not sure what he weighs though. I saw him a few weeks ago causing havoc for several of these kids during open mats.
I would say yes. However the Dunn situation will be interesting. If he can't beat Walker for 145, is his next option 170? He won't beat Donothan or Sizemore, but there would be a slot open at 170 if those 2 go 152 & 160. If 1 or both of those 2 go up a weight, then he would probably slide into 152 or 160 barring another transfer in.

For Sands, I assume he is in the 120-132 range as any other weight he would not have a shot in my opinion. So, I would say Sands, Wyles, D Heard and Allen will have 3 spots to fight over.
Old 08-10-17, 11:10 AM
All World

bdhof is on a distinguished road
As someone who follows the rankings very closely, I was intrigued by how close LaSalle is to the top of the ladder.

Per Boro Fan

Team Rankings
1. St. Edward 149 pts.
2. Brecksville 134 pts.
3. LaSalle 131 pts.
This is preseason rankings which obviously changes as the season goes on. Does Eds gain strength with a young team? Does LaSalle improve under Root?

Now for a little trivia.

Which team is the only team from SW Ohio to beat Eds in a dual?
A) Moeller
B) Mason
C) LaSalle
Correct answer is C) LaSalle, just last year.

Which teams outside of NE Ohio won the big school division?
A) Moeller
B) Bridgeport
C) Toledo St. Francis deSales
Correct answer is B) Bridgeport (with the great Bobby Douglas in the lineup) and C) Toledo St. Francis deSales (2x 1964 and 1970).

Which team from SW Ohio came the closest to a team title?
A) Moeller
B) LaSalle
C) Withrow
Moeller was runner up on several occasions, but they were never close to a title, points wise, being close to 100 points off the mark. Correct answer is B) and C). LaSalle and Withrow both were just 4.5 points off the mark back in the 70s. With 79 chances since 1938, SW has zero team championships (more if you count dual championships). Could LaSalle, with a new coach, get the job done for SW Ohio? It would be good for the sport if it did indeed happen. I always had a theory that a new coach for an already quality team provides a bump in success because the wrestlers have a skill set from their previous coach and now a new skill set from their new coach. I have zero evidence to support my theory, but I'll go with it anyway.

Good luck to Coach Root and the LaSalle Lancers this season.
Old 08-10-17, 11:36 AM
Junior Varsity

ohiofootballphan is on a distinguished road
Skinner?

Does anyone know where the Skinner kid will be attending HS?
Old 08-10-17, 11:42 AM
All Ohio

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
As someone who follows the rankings very closely, I was intrigued by how close LaSalle is to the top of the ladder.

Per Boro Fan

Team Rankings
1. St. Edward 149 pts.
2. Brecksville 134 pts.
3. LaSalle 131 pts.
This is preseason rankings which obviously changes as the season goes on. Does Eds gain strength with a young team? Does LaSalle improve under Root?

Now for a little trivia.

Which team is the only team from SW Ohio to beat Eds in a dual?
A) Moeller
B) Mason
C) LaSalle
Correct answer is C) LaSalle, just last year.

Which teams outside of NE Ohio won the big school division?
A) Moeller
B) Bridgeport
C) Toledo St. Francis deSales
Correct answer is B) Bridgeport (with the great Bobby Douglas in the lineup) and C) Toledo St. Francis deSales (2x 1964 and 1970).

Which team from SW Ohio came the closest to a team title?
A) Moeller
B) LaSalle
C) Withrow
Moeller was runner up on several occasions, but they were never close to a title, points wise, being close to 100 points off the mark. Correct answer is B) and C). LaSalle and Withrow both were just 4.5 points off the mark back in the 70s. With 79 chances since 1938, SW has zero team championships (more if you count dual championships). Could LaSalle, with a new coach, get the job done for SW Ohio? It would be good for the sport if it did indeed happen. I always had a theory that a new coach for an already quality team provides a bump in success because the wrestlers have a skill set from their previous coach and now a new skill set from their new coach. I have zero evidence to support my theory, but I'll go with it anyway.

Good luck to Coach Root and the LaSalle Lancers this season.
Looking at the team concept, by keeping dunn at 145 and bumping everyone up they could have possible qualifiers at all but Hvy and more ammo at state to give it all weapons hot on the North.
Old 08-10-17, 12:24 PM
All Region

roughedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What weight was this freshman (Sands) in junior high. How did he do in JH. I looked through placers and didn't see him.
Old 08-10-17, 12:37 PM
Freshman

Sands

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
What weight was this freshman (Sands) in junior high. How did he do in JH. I looked through placers and didn't see him.
I THINK he was like 105. But someone else probably knows more. That being said, I know he broke his back his first match at Districts in 8th grade. Still got 3rd. Tough kid, watched him wence through it.

In 7th he didn't go ... heard he got pneumonia. Qualified in 6th and didn't go.
Old 08-10-17, 12:40 PM
Freshman

Sands has been with Mixer and all those boys since 4/5 grade. They are a close group. LaSalle starting to look like Team Mixer. Brads probably proud.
Old 08-10-17, 02:08 PM
Varsity

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmalice View Post
Looking at the team concept, by keeping dunn at 145 and bumping everyone up they could have possible qualifiers at all but Hvy and more ammo at state to give it all weapons hot on the North.

From what I have heard if the older Dunn wants to wrestle he better be hitting the refrigerator and plan on going 70 and pray that no other transfers show up to complete the "dream team"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-17, 03:23 PM
Freshman

A few conversations today have me thinking that C.Donathan is looking into coming over but D.Walker ... not so much. School starts soon, so we will see. If the kids transfer once school starts does their eligibility get pushed back even further?
Old 08-10-17, 09:52 PM
All District

stall it out is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A few conversations today have me thinking that C.Donathan is looking into coming over but D.Walker ... not so much. School starts soon, so we will see. If the kids transfer once school starts does their eligibility get pushed back even further?
As long as Walker hasn't competed in a football scrimmage wherever he walk is on the first day, he gets to pick his school. Once he does he'll lose half of his season if he transfers. He had broke his arm, so I doubt he has competed at all. It will be interesting to see if he stays, or heads to a better room. Seems likely he goes. Better schedule, partners, staff. Starting at Mason has him give up half a season down the road if decides to leave. And they don't even know who the coach is going to be. Also, don't they have history with Root?
Old 08-11-17, 07:15 AM
All Region

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OHSAA Bylaw 4-9-4
8. If a coach leaves a school to pursue a coaching opportunity at another school, the coach shall refrain from any communication with any students at his or her former school. Further as it relates to any student who might transfer to or enroll at the school where the coach is now approved as a member of the coaching staff, said transfer or enrollment shall create a rebuttable presumption of recruiting and render the student ineligible for one year from the date of enrollment unless the recruiting can be rebutted.
Based on this it will be hard for someone that was at Mason last year to move. Now an incoming freshman that has not competed in a high school event can.
Old 08-11-17, 07:48 AM
Freshman

executive director is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepride1990 View Post
Based on this it will be hard for someone that was at Mason last year to move. Now an incoming freshman that has not competed in a high school event can.
This was an issue that was brought to light focused more on mid year transfers. While we would discourage families from changing schools, it is nearly impossible to prove that a change of school over the summer would be related. Proving would be extremely difficult, as all families have freedom of choice with regards to private schools.

Many high school coaching contracts start at the beginning of their sports season. This rule would infer that the student was transferring after the season has started for this reason. Any summer transfers would actually be school members before the coach is under contract in most cases like this. Unless the school has elected to extend a multi-year contract it is unlikely this coach is yet under contract.

Last edited by executive director; 08-11-17 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-11-17, 08:32 AM
All World

Suplexer130
Quote:
Originally Posted by executive director View Post
This was an issue that was brought to light focused more on mid year transfers. While we would discourage families from changing schools, it is nearly impossible to prove that a change of school over the summer would be related. Proving would be extremely difficult, as all families have freedom of choice with regards to private schools.

Many high school coaching contracts start at the beginning of their sports season. This rule would infer that the student was transferring after the season has started for this reason. Any summer transfers would actually be school members before the coach is under contract in most cases like this. Unless the school has elected to extend a multi-year contract it is unlikely this coach is yet under contract.
As far as the OHSAA is concerned you are a coach for one full year after you sign your contract. This is why even though your contract ran out at the end of your season you still can't coach your kids in the off season.
Old 08-11-17, 02:22 PM
All Region

Latman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by executive director View Post

I would almost guarantee an employment contract has been signed or a MOU has been provided, which is legally binding. Not saying either party could decide otherwise, but no one is going to quit their current position without guarantees the new position has been offered and accepted. By that act alone, and any action after that fact, would fit the scenario provided earlier.
Old 08-11-17, 03:02 PM
All District

#Hashtag is on a distinguished road
Will be interesting to see where Zerkle ends up coaching next year, and subsequently where Root goes when he leaves LS.
Old 08-16-17, 05:16 PM
Freshman

So, let me get this straight ... neither Walker or Donathan are coming to LaSalle and yet BOTH Dunn boys decided to head to Goshen?
Old 08-16-17, 06:10 PM
Varsity

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, let me get this straight ... neither Walker or Donathan are coming to LaSalle and yet BOTH Dunn boys decided to head to Goshen?

I heard it was a family issue. Had nothing to do with coaching or line up. The younger one is a good wrestler but would likely have never seen the varsity lineup. The older seems to have had a lot of injury issues. I don't think he's been able to finish any of the last 2-3 seasons. The younger one will make someone a solid 106-113.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-17, 08:56 PM
All District

allwhiteeverything is on a distinguished road
Yea great move little Dunn couldn't break the line up would ha e been Jv his whole high school career
Old 08-16-17, 08:58 PM
All District

Would be nice to kno coaches but root jus got there he need to settle in first I believe I think lasalle would still be solid known dunns left n walker not coming
Old 08-16-17, 09:45 PM
Varsity

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwhiteeverything View Post
Yea great move little Dunn couldn't break the line up would ha e been Jv his whole high school career
This is just a dumb statement. How in the world can you predict he would be jv his entire HS career? Smh
Old 08-17-17, 05:10 AM
All District

tennman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
This is just a dumb statement. How in the world can you predict he would be jv his entire HS career? Smh
Byrd, Norris, Allen, all close in weight
Old 08-17-17, 05:37 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennman View Post
Byrd, Norris, Allen, all close in weight
People transfer, quit, get injured and grow at different rates.
Old 08-17-17, 06:06 AM
All District

tennman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
People transfer, quit, get injured and grow at different rates.
Yep, I didn't say it, just sure that's what @allwhiteeverything was referring to
Old 08-17-17, 08:02 AM
All District

Right plus I watch him daily I'm not saying he not good Ken it's jus a lot of bigger kids going his weight class at lasalle
Old 08-17-17, 08:44 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwhiteeverything View Post
Right plus I watch him daily I'm not saying he not good Ken it's jus a lot of bigger kids going his weight class at lasalle
I'm not his dad dufus. It's a dumb statement to make to say a kid won't make varsity during his entire HS career.
Old 08-17-17, 08:55 AM
All District

Ok Ken well whoever you may be try telling me that to my face I'm very easy to find
Old 08-17-17, 08:56 AM
All District

Well like I said lasalle will be very solid this year
Old 08-17-17, 09:41 AM
All Ohio

Unstacked is on a distinguished road
I thought anyone with a last name of Dunn were required to go to Ross HS anyways???