Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-07-17, 11:57 AM
All World

Lionattack is on a distinguished road
OHSAA State Duals Changes for 2019

Coaches have you read the update for changes to the state duals in 2019. Regional sites on a Saturday in 2019 and teams can move up a division if they want to were things I noticed.

What are thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-17, 11:58 AM
All World

Description of the Issues
The Dual Team Wrestling Tournament is a wonderful event and has gotten off to a solid start. There needs to be some changes made to sustain this event and help it grow.

The biggest issue is that this tournament is conducted in the middle of the wrestling season. This causes challenges to each school’s schedule and to the scheduling of regional rounds at schools. Also, the middle of the wrestling season is in the worst weather that Ohio experiences each year.

Another challenge is keeping this tournament sustainable financially. It is currently the biggest deficit tournament we offer. The proposed changes below could not only solve this, but has the potential to make this a revenue producing tournament.

Approved Changes
A. This tournament was placed into the “Emerging Sports Category”. This gives us the flexibility to address several issues.

1. Entry into the tournament would require a fee ($50). This would assist us in 2 ways. The revenue would help in the financial issue and the process would commit schools to the tournament. We have about 10% of our entered schools that “check” the dual box in myOHSAA thinking this is required to have a wrestling program.

2. We will keep 3 divisions even though there are not 500 participating teams. This has been a three-division sport in the Dual Tournament for many years.

3. Teams may move up into a bigger division by choice.

B. The remaining changes relate to the format of the tournament and address the challenge of being in the middle of the wrestling season.

1. We will eliminate the two Wednesday Regional Qualifying rounds and have Regional tournaments at 24 sites on Saturday February 2 in 2019. We are respecting the scheduling commitments for 2018 and will stay with the Wednesday dates.

2. For the 2017-18 season, the OHSAA office will identify Regional site locations for the first round and set those by the end of October. This will be better for travel for schools on weekdays.

3. As in past years, the Regional Final sites will be offered to the highest seeded teams during the 2017-18 tournament.

If you have any questions regarding these changes, please contact me at brugg@ohsaa.org.
Old 08-07-17, 12:36 PM
All Ohio

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
This would be exciting to see powerhouses from D2 and D3 move up to challenge the D1 powers, knowing Graham chops are drooling.
Old 08-07-17, 01:04 PM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Why would SPG move up? They already face Ed's in a dual every year.
Old 08-07-17, 01:45 PM
All District

Ohio Blast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post
I know this is hard to believe but St Eds isn't the only team in D1.
Old 08-07-17, 02:09 PM
All World

MPhillips is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio blast View Post
i know this is hard to believe but st eds isn't the only team in d1.
Old 08-07-17, 02:18 PM
All American

Ohio never said they were. No reason for SPG to move up for what reason? To wrestle who? If they want to wrestle Elyria, MP or Wadworth or whoever call and schedule them. I've stated my thoughts on the duals since they started. I don't like the duals and the way they were run. Now will see if the changes being made change my thinking. I doubt it.
Old 08-07-17, 02:24 PM
All World

MPhillips is on a distinguished road
If SPG beats STED twice in a season...do you think you'll like it less or more?
Old 08-07-17, 02:35 PM
All American

Big if isn't it?
Old 08-07-17, 03:03 PM
Junior Varsity

Streak35 is on a distinguished road
I like the Idea of allowing the smaller schools to move up. It gives them an opportunity to wrestle different kids than they would see at state as well as better competition than they can get with the schools in their division.
Old 08-07-17, 05:21 PM
All Ohio

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post
Because there would be at least some level of competition. The event is really not worth their time otherwise.
Old 08-07-17, 05:48 PM
All World

What other teams possibly would move up next year? I really don't see many teams doing that but it does make it interesting.
Old 08-08-17, 04:01 PM
All American

CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
Graham may be the best team in Ohio next year, but these changes are for 2019. Graham loses A LOT after this season. I know they will reload as always, but in 2019 a currently young St. Edward will be seasoned and ready to take on anyone.

Honestly, Graham might not even make the finals in 2019 with Brecksville looking very strong for 2019 as well.
Old 08-09-17, 12:22 AM
All District

Iroquois is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionattack View Post
Description of the Issues
The Dual Team Wrestling Tournament is a wonderful event and has gotten off to a solid start. There needs to be some changes made to sustain this event and help it grow.

The biggest issue is that this tournament is conducted in the middle of the wrestling season. This causes challenges to each school’s schedule and to the scheduling of regional rounds at schools. Also, the middle of the wrestling season is in the worst weather that Ohio experiences each year.

Another challenge is keeping this tournament sustainable financially. It is currently the biggest deficit tournament we offer. The proposed changes below could not only solve this, but has the potential to make this a revenue producing tournament.

Approved Changes
A. This tournament was placed into the “Emerging Sports Category”. This gives us the flexibility to address several issues.

1. Entry into the tournament would require a fee ($50). This would assist us in 2 ways. The revenue would help in the financial issue and the process would commit schools to the tournament. We have about 10% of our entered schools that “check” the dual box in myOHSAA thinking this is required to have a wrestling program.

2. We will keep 3 divisions even though there are not 500 participating teams. This has been a three-division sport in the Dual Tournament for many years.

3. Teams may move up into a bigger division by choice.

B. The remaining changes relate to the format of the tournament and address the challenge of being in the middle of the wrestling season.

1. We will eliminate the two Wednesday Regional Qualifying rounds and have Regional tournaments at 24 sites on Saturday February 2 in 2019. We are respecting the scheduling commitments for 2018 and will stay with the Wednesday dates.

2. For the 2017-18 season, the OHSAA office will identify Regional site locations for the first round and set those by the end of October. This will be better for travel for schools on weekdays.

3. As in past years, the Regional Final sites will be offered to the highest seeded teams during the 2017-18 tournament.

If you have any questions regarding these changes, please contact me at brugg@ohsaa.org.
It should be interesting, thanks for sharing can't wait to see how things shake out with the changes.
Old 08-09-17, 11:11 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
Because there would be at least some level of competition. The event is really not worth their time otherwise.
I agree. Not sure they will move up. I doubt many schools do. IMO
Old 08-09-17, 01:35 PM
All American

CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
Well no D3 school are going to move up if Graham doesn't and no other D2 will move up.

Really the only school that is in play for moving up is Graham. How far in advance do they have to decide if they are moving up to challenge for the DI dual title?

If Graham and Ed's didn't already dual each other every year I would think Graham would move up every year, but since they do I could see Graham just staying put on a regular basis. Really they don't have much to gain and I could see a potential straining of relationships if they picked and chose when to moved up based on matchups.
Old 08-11-17, 08:02 AM
Freshman

executive director is on a distinguished road
It was tossed around to combine all 3 divisions or separate between private schools and public schools. The goal si to create an atmosphere that puts more fans in the seats.