Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-27-16, 09:21 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Huber Heights Wayne 17 Trotwood 6

I don't have time for a write up and will edit that in tomorrow after work...

Trotwood's defense is the REAL deal and has been the only team to consistently slow down Wayne's offense. Wayne also plays great defense and we got a pretty good defensive struggle tonight with Wayne prevailing 17-6 to remain unbeaten at 9-0. Trotwood dropped to 8-2. Best of luck to Trotwood in the playoffs!!!!! Great crowd tonight, great atmosphere.....

Wayne will be the #1 seed in region 3 and will host Friday night at 7:30...

Go Wayne!

============================================

Thursday night, the battle of the two best teams in the Miami Valley went at it. Trotwood, the #1 defense in the GWOC against the #1 offense in Wayne.

Defense would rule the night. Trotwood got stopped 3 and out on their first possession but a fake punt got them a first down but 3 plays later they were punting. Wayne was able to move the ball on their first possession and got all the way down to Trotwood's 30 before the RAMS showed that they too can play lights out defense stopping Wayne on downs. Wayne was able to score first late in the first with a McKee to Davis touchdown pass from 10 yards out. 7-0 Wayne.

Trotwood thought they had scored in the 2nd when a 4th down pass looked to be caught in the end zone. The stripes said no and Wayne took over on downs. Wayne could not do much and Trotwood was back at it again as Peppers started to settle down and hit receivers. This time he found C.Johnson for a 29 yard TD pass. The RAMS went for two but was stopped. 7-6 Wayne. Wayne answered to make it 14-6 as Pitts punched it in and that is the way it ended at the half, 14-6 Wayne.

Every yard was a struggle in the 2nd half as Trotwood's defense really stepped up. McKee was under constant pressure and the run game was being held in check. Meanwhile, Peppers was also scrambling for his life and yards on the ground were hard to come by. Wayne was finally able to get a drive going late in the 3rd but had to settle for a 32 yard FG early in the 4th as Russell drilled it. 11 point lead might not seem much but in this game it felt like a dagger to Trotwood. Wayne's defense got it done in the 4th as Wayne came away with a 17-6 win.

Trotwood 00 06 00 00 - 6
HH Wayne 07 07 00 03 - 17

total yards: Wayne 262 Trotwood 258
rushing: Wayne 88 Trotwood 102
passing: Wayne 174 Trotwood 156

==============================

Wayne QB McKee 19/26 174 yards 1 TD 1 INT 13 rushes 29 yds / Trotwood QB Peppers 9/25 156 yards 1 TD 8 rushes 21 yds

Wayne RB Pitts 16 for 73 yards 1 TD 3 catches 24 yards / Trotwood RB Hargrove 17 for 45 yards

Wayne WR Smith 7 for 88 yards / Trotwood C.Johnson 4 for 70 1 TD
Wayne WR Davis 5 for 33 yards / Trotwood L.Johsnon 3 for 54
Wayne WR Wilcox 3 for 20 yards / Trotwood Daniesl 2 for 32

Last edited by vamp2syd; 10-28-16 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-16, 10:06 PM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post

Trotwood's defense is the REAL deal and has been the only team to consistently slow down Wayne's offense. Wayne also plays great defense and we got a pretty good defensive struggle tonight with Wayne prevailing 17-6 to remain unbeaten at 9-0. Trotwood dropped to 8-2. Best of luck to Trotwood in the playoffs!!!!! Great crowd tonight, great atmosphere.....

Go Wayne!
Would of rather been the 2 seed
Old 10-27-16, 11:20 PM
All Region

meNotu is on a distinguished road
Wayne OC

Trotwood started the game with 11 players within 4 yards of the LOS. Did the Wayne OC try to exploit it? NO of course not. Blevins is flawed.
Old 10-27-16, 11:39 PM
All Region

02WayneWarrior#9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by meNotu View Post
Trotwood started the game with 11 players within 4 yards of the LOS. Did the Wayne OC try to exploit it? NO of course not. Blevins is flawed.
Couldn't agree more! We'd have at least one State Championship if it wasn't for him IMO
Old 10-28-16, 04:05 AM
All American

hsfanOnRC is on a distinguished road
TW also had a touchdown not called. The refs blew that one big time.

Good luck to both in the playoffs.
Old 10-28-16, 04:29 AM
All American

member1 is on a distinguished road
That 3 TD spread was silly...Trotwood was extremly impressive on the D side of the football. Fast and physical. If Trotwood had any imagination in its play calling?? Seems that when the talent level is even the scheming/ coaching is soooo questionable! In contrast Wayne has enough to win D1. Blue is a problem! He is the one player Trotwood had no answer for. Glad they went away from him.. Overall great game, everbody should realize those are the two best teams in the Dayton area and they played like it last night!
Old 10-28-16, 06:09 AM
All District

High School84 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by meNotu View Post
9-9 in playoffs before Blevins gets there 14-5 since he's been there. You do the math, go support Wilhite and Fisher as their season will be over soon, just how it was at Wayne when they were there.
Old 10-28-16, 07:03 AM
All Region

playball is on a distinguished road
I'm glad we have them here at Boro but if they were at Wayne they would have them over the top. Their best receiver is hardly double covered yet they never get him the ball. Why is that? He averages less than 4 catches a game. Wayne wins despite the OC's flaws. And don't use the excuse he hardly plays the 2nd half of games either. As good as that kid is, they should be scheming to get the balls in his hands. 32 receptions on the year???
Old 10-28-16, 07:22 AM
All Ohio

coachOS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by playball View Post
I'm glad we have them here at Boro but if they were at Wayne they would have them over the top. Their best receiver is hardly double covered yet they never get him the ball. Why is that? He averages less than 4 catches a game. Wayne wins despite the OC's flaws. And don't use the excuse he hardly plays the 2nd half of games either. As good as that kid is, they should be scheming to get the balls in his hands. 32 receptions on the year???
Agree with you that Blue should've been used more as a receiver this year...except this game against Trotwood. Trotwood's defense pass rush was too much 9 out of 10 times last night for Wayne's O line. They would've been better suited to hit short patterns over the middle from slots. Wilcox, which they did a few times and also a screen..which I never saw one, to a RB. There was not enough time for McKee to set up to throw a mid to deep pattern all night.
Old 10-28-16, 07:28 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachOS View Post
Agree with you that Blue should've been used more as a receiver this year...except this game against Trotwood. Trotwood's defense pass rush was too much 9 out of 10 times last night for Wayne's O line. They would've been better suited to hit short patterns over the middle from slots. Wilcox, which they did a few times and also a screen..which I never saw one, to a RB. There was not enough time for McKee to set up to throw a mid to deep pattern all night.
Was very impressed with Trotwood's D. Watching it on TV they looked lights out fast and overwhelmed the Oline of Wayne. I bet it was impressive live.
Old 10-28-16, 07:32 AM
All District

Quote:
They were at Wayne and didn't do anything what do you mean they would have them over the top?!?! You make no sense and yes they double cover blue have you been to every game?
Old 10-28-16, 07:47 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by High School84 View Post
They were at Wayne and didn't do anything what do you mean they would have them over the top?!?! You make no sense and yes they double cover blue have you been to every game?
They were regional finalists the last year they were there and won 1st round playoff games most years. What I mean is if they were there at Wayne they would have won the big game by now, they wouldn't have come up short. They win at Boro despite always being the smaller and more than likely less talented team. I can only imagine what they could do with Wayne's talent that steps on that field. I have not been to every game but I have watched every game on film, I know that teams do not double cover Blue. Trotwood doubled him maybe three times last night from what I could tell. Wayne is too talented to double cover one player because the other threats will kill you. Most DC's won't risk it.
Old 10-28-16, 07:53 AM
All District

Quote:
They were regional finalists the last year they were there and won 1st round playoff games most years. What I mean is if they were there at Wayne they would have won the big game by now, they wouldn't have come up short. They win at Boro despite always being the smaller and more than likely less talented team. I can only imagine what they could do with Wayne's talent that steps on that field. I have not been to every game but I have watched every game on film, I know that teams do not double cover Blue. Trotwood doubled him maybe three times last night from what I could tell. Wayne is too talented to double cover one player because the other threats will kill you. Most DC's won't risk it.
They are undefeated why use Blue when you don't have too? Why does he need more catches right now if they are winning the games. Also yes you are right they did make the regional finals ,but Blevins since he's been there they have won 3 Regional Championships not just make it to the regional championship and lose.
Old 10-28-16, 07:59 AM
All Region

Quote:
They are undefeated why use Blue when you don't have too? Why does he need more catches right now if they are winning the games. Also yes you are right they did make the regional finals ,but Blevins since he's been there they have won 3 Regional Championships not just make it to the regional championship and lose.
"They are undefeated why use Blue when you don't have too? Why does he need more catches right now if they are winning the games."

Really?????? I'm done......good luck the rest of the way
Old 10-28-16, 08:19 AM
All District

Quote:
"They are undefeated why use Blue when you don't have too? Why does he need more catches right now if they are winning the games."

Really?????? I'm done......good luck the rest of the way
Thanks we will use blue when teams don't double him until then I like our chances. Good luck the rest of the way too week 11 where you will be out like usually.
Old 10-28-16, 08:21 AM
Varsity

Ohioprep2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think Blevins has had better talent than Wilhite had while at Wayne. Not to mention, Wayne also has a had a pretty top notch defense these last 3 years. I am not saying Wilhite would of won state but I am sure he would of had his best players on the field in those games. Just my opinion.
Old 10-28-16, 08:46 AM
All World

The Final Say is on a distinguished road
I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by member1 View Post
That 3 TD spread was silly...Trotwood was extremly impressive on the D side of the football. Fast and physical. If Trotwood had any imagination in its play calling?? Seems that when the talent level is even the scheming/ coaching is soooo questionable! In contrast Wayne has enough to win D1. Blue is a problem! He is the one player Trotwood had no answer for. Glad they went away from him.. Overall great game, everbody should realize those are the two best teams in the Dayton area and they played like it last night!
To push back a little on the play calling not being imaginative. I think the too cute and too imaginative was the problem. Every time Trotwood lines up in spread I cringe because it isn't an effective, sustainable set for them. Peppers out of the I form passing was 7 for 9 with a TD pass and he was abismal throwing it out of shotgun most of the night. Trotwood is a pro style throw off the run team and when they do that they are very hard, if not impossible to stop. Against a team like Wayne, early in the third quarter when you get a three and out, you have to shorten the game by running the football. When Trotwood went I form with two tight ends one reciever Hargrove was getting 4 to 6 yards and Trotwood was moving the football and had rythm. First down from the Wayne 45 should have equaled a whole lot of handing it to 6 or whoever the back was and playaction. Not spread formation running with Peppers. Other than those possessions I feel like the offensive game planning was good. Keep in mind that they had a touchdown called back on an awful call which would have seen the game tied at halftime. I think its easy to say the play calling wasn't good and the arguement can be made that it needs adjusting. But I think managing the situations better and not wasting possessions is more important.
Old 10-28-16, 09:37 AM
Junior Varsity

Wayne Dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:

What exactly have they won at Boro???? Boro has not won a thing. Boro has a decent record in the GWOC which isn't saying anything because the conference is terrible. Yes we are in the same conference, but we have been to the state game multiple times. So we have proven our sorry schedule means nothing. Blu gets doubled or has a Safety over the top every game. We don't have to key in on him every play because unlike other teams that would throw him the ball every play, we have plenty of playmakers. Fisher knows his stuff he's a product of Wayne, but he hasn't won a thing at Springboro, and I would love to see you guys on the field, it would be the same whooping we put on everyone else in the sorry GWOC, outside of Trottwood.....

On another note, last nights game was great! Clearly the best two teams in the league. Can't say anything negative about the coaching or play calling, we may have all done some things differently if we were at the helm, but the bottom line is we WON as we have been doing all year. Let's get ready for the playoffs and hope for a deep run....
Old 10-28-16, 09:37 AM
All Region

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post

Go Wayne!
Trotwood D was impressive last night and made Wayne look "beatable". Any consistent passing game and Trotwood could have won. Not to mention the TD catch that was incorrectly called as incomplete. I don't see anyone in Region 3 that can beat Wayne so expect them to march into the Final 4 again this year. It would be great to see the GWOC represented in the D1 & D2 state finals. Good luck!
Old 10-28-16, 09:39 AM
RUN FAST, HIT HARD!

tofer23 is on a distinguished road
See you in 4 weeks!
Old 10-28-16, 09:59 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioprep2002 View Post
I think Blevins has had better talent than Wilhite had while at Wayne. Not to mention, Wayne also has a had a pretty top notch defense these last 3 years. I am not saying Wilhite would of won state but I am sure he would of had his best players on the field in those games. Just my opinion.
Top notch D that allowed 45 last year in the championship?
Old 10-28-16, 09:59 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Dad View Post
What exactly have they won at Boro???? Boro has not won a thing. Boro has a decent record in the GWOC which isn't saying anything because the conference is terrible. Yes we are in the same conference, but we have been to the state game multiple times. So we have proven our sorry schedule means nothing. Blu gets doubled or has a Safety over the top every game. We don't have to key in on him every play because unlike other teams that would throw him the ball every play, we have plenty of playmakers. Fisher knows his stuff he's a product of Wayne, but he hasn't won a thing at Springboro, and I would love to see you guys on the field, it would be the same whooping we put on everyone else in the sorry GWOC, outside of Trottwood.....

On another note, last nights game was great! Clearly the best two teams in the league. Can't say anything negative about the coaching or play calling, we may have all done some things differently if we were at the helm, but the bottom line is we WON as we have been doing all year. Let's get ready for the playoffs and hope for a deep run....
I do not think anyone is comparing Wayne to Springboro. The conversation came up about Wilhite/Fisher possibly being the better offensive coaches. Wilhite and Fisher went to Springboro and win with not nearly the athletes we have at Wayne. Yes, I am biased as I have played for these coaches but I am still a Wayne fan and know a lot about the program. Wayne is clearly the better football team... I do not think anyone questions that.

But it is fun to think what they could do with these athletes.
Old 10-28-16, 10:02 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Too notch D that allowed 45 last year in the championship?
Yes. That is the same one.
Old 10-28-16, 10:10 AM
Junior Varsity

Wayne Dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I do not think anyone is comparing Wayne to Springboro. The conversation came up about Wilhite/Fisher possibly being the better offensive coaches. Wilhite and Fisher went to Springboro and win with not nearly the athletes we have at Wayne. Yes, I am biased as I have played for these coaches but I am still a Wayne fan and know a lot about the program. Wayne is clearly the better football team... I do not think anyone questions that.

But it is fun to think what they could do with these athletes.
Definitely no comparison between the two schools. Boro is clearly no Wayne. People continuously talk about we have not won anything, but we at least make deep playoff runs and make it to state title games. The statement was He wins at Boro. My question sir is, what has he won at Boro? That's all I'm asking, what type of playoff run have they had. I'm just curious, maybe I'm uninformed, but I haven't seen Boro win a thing outside of some GWOC games...
Old 10-28-16, 10:13 AM
Varsity

They manage to win with less talent than Wayne. That does not mean they go further than Wayne in the playoffs.
Old 10-28-16, 10:15 AM
Varsity

I do not mean to hijack this status with talk about offensive coaches from different schools. I am just not a huge Blevins fan. I do not think he gets the best out of his offense. That is just my opinion.
Old 10-28-16, 10:21 AM
All District

Quote:
I do not mean to hijack this status with talk about offensive coaches from different schools. I am just not a huge Blevins fan. I do not think he gets the best out of his offense. That is just my opinion.
One thing if Fisher is so much better why did Blevins and fairmont beat him twice while he was at Boro?
Old 10-28-16, 10:27 AM
All District

Forgot he was 2-0 against Boro and Fisher with less talent.
Old 10-28-16, 10:28 AM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
If anyone had any doubt about how good Troy was this year, this should give you an indication. Trotwood just hung with one of the best schools in the country.
Old 10-28-16, 10:34 AM
All Region

Quote:
One thing if Fisher is so much better why did Blevins and fairmont beat him twice while he was at Boro?
That was their 1st and 2nd year there. Their first team the lost 20 starters and went from a wing T to a Spread attack and the 2nd year they lost 3-0 in the last second of the game. All I'm saying is if Fisher and Wilhite had the talent move in and grow up in Huber like Blevins does they would win. He wins too no doubt but he can't get them over that Championship hump. I believe Fisher and Wilhite could, I'm entitled to my opinion as are you. Boro has not had deep runs like they do at Wayne but they are building a program down South. Will it ever reach the level of Wayne, who knows? But those guys beat teams they have no business beating when you compare the rosters. They develope kids from the junior high and make them pretty darn good football players. Can't say that for Blevins, he just coaches the stud move ins from other districts.