Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Moeller Crusaders

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-12-17, 04:48 PM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
McVittie

KDKA radio in Pittsburgh reported that QB Thomas McVittie is transferring. He has 3 yrs of eligibility remaining. Not surprised as the true Freshmen from NJ looked good in Pitt's last game. Any insight on where he might end up?
Old 12-12-17, 05:39 PM
All Ohio

LEONARD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
KDKA radio in Pittsburgh reported that QB Thomas McVittie is transferring. He has 3 yrs of eligibility remaining. Not surprised as the true Freshmen from NJ looked good in Pitt's last game. Any insight on where he might end up?
Who knows.Wonder if UC or Miami OH could have a spot for him?

I know Miami had their back up qb transfer out. I know chuck (miami coach) likes Moeller kids. Two Moeller qb's currently on miamis roster. Would be close to home, could play, decent school.
Old 12-13-17, 11:03 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/P...s/201712120138

In other news, I hear there is a sh!t-ton of Pitt classic script gear over at a garage sale in sycamore...

No hate, I'm just kidding around- am sure the kid will land somewhere.

Last edited by Kballer; 12-13-17 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 09:06 PM
All Ohio

The Game
Anyone hear where he transferred to?
Old 01-23-18, 06:55 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mesa Community College in Mesa, Arizona.

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/...fers-mesa-c-c/
Old 01-23-18, 09:07 AM
All American

And it's MacVittie. Obviously has a lot of time invested in being a college QB so if this will get him the reps needed to move on to bigger places then it is a gambke that makes sense for him. He was older than most in his grade at Moeller so it's not for maturity purposes- hope it works out
Old 01-23-18, 10:06 AM
All World

My guess is he's using this coming year at MCC as an audition, for the lack of a better term. I'm sure he had some interest from teams and he thought he could do better. Again, just my guess.
Old 01-23-18, 10:23 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
My guess is he's using this coming year at MCC as an audition, for the lack of a better term. I'm sure he had some interest from teams and he thought he could do better. Again, just my guess.
Yup, that's what some do- it's a gamble, but if he lands at a "better" program than he was getting looks from mid year then it pays off, I guess. At least it's warmer there than Pittsburgh!
Old 01-23-18, 05:07 PM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
It is an interesting move as most kids that go the community college route do so due to grades or a lack of interest in coming out of high school. I would imagine that he is trying to parlay it into another Power 5 offer because I am sure that he would have attracted significant interest from MAC level schools as well as FCS schools.

Apparently Pitt's starting QB last year, until he lost the job, has transferred to James Madison. While I realize FCS programs don't have the luster of FBS there is still some very good football played in front of good sized crowds. Unless a kid has eyes on playing at the next level I think FCS is a good option.
Old 01-23-18, 05:14 PM
All District

Redskins1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thomas is a great kid and comes from a good family but he's an FCS or MAC player not a Power 5 player. I wish he would have gone that route. Heck I would have loved to see him go to UC and compete there. It would be nice to see a local boy play QB at UC. I wish Thomas the best.
Old 01-23-18, 10:53 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
It is an interesting move as most kids that go the community college route do so due to grades or a lack of interest in coming out of high school. I would imagine that he is trying to parlay it into another Power 5 offer because I am sure that he would have attracted significant interest from MAC level schools as well as FCS schools.

Apparently Pitt's starting QB last year, until he lost the job, has transferred to James Madison. While I realize FCS programs don't have the luster of FBS there is still some very good football played in front of good sized crowds. Unless a kid has eyes on playing at the next level I think FCS is a good option.
This was what I thought as well. aiming "right" is hard for parents and kids - many overreach and end up unhappy/leaving. Lots of great schools with good football programs would have likely taken him, but I guess they are aiming higher and felt the CC was worth the gamble. I don't recall, what offers did he have other than Pitt initially?
Old 01-24-18, 08:11 AM
All World

UC, Miami, Ohio, Toledo. According to his 247 profile.
Old 01-24-18, 10:38 AM
All District

Redskins1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Another guy from that same class that hasn't seen any playing time at OSU is Jake Hausman. He was a big time recruit! I wonder what he plans on doing. If he's not happy not playing MacVittie and him should package themselves to UC, Miami or a MAC school and see what they can do. That would be neat to see.
Old 01-24-18, 12:52 PM
All American

birdog is on a distinguished road
With all do respect to guys like Peyton Ramsey, Andrew Hendrix and Sean Clifford when MacVitte was healthy he was as good or better than all of them. A little bit bigger with a gun and better than average speed for a big kid. One year as a starter and hobbled with that leg injury early on. I think the kid could play at a power 5 school, but chances of getting a shot now may be a little diminished unless he lights it up in Arizona. GBM
Old 01-24-18, 12:54 PM
All Ohio

bluengoldblinders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins1 View Post
Another guy from that same class that hasn't seen any playing time at OSU is Jake Hausman. He was a big time recruit! I wonder what he plans on doing. If he's not happy not playing MacVittie and him should package themselves to UC, Miami or a MAC school and see what they can do. That would be neat to see.
I don't want to speak for him or his family, but being an Ohio State fan, this was only his RS-Freshman year.

Granted, they're bringing in a 5 Star TE from New York, but Jake will get every opportunity to play at Ohio State. We'll see how spring ball goes for him.
Old 01-24-18, 01:06 PM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
This was what I thought as well. aiming "right" is hard for parents and kids - many overreach and end up unhappy/leaving. Lots of great schools with good football programs would have likely taken him, but I guess they are aiming higher and felt the CC was worth the gamble. I don't recall, what offers did he have other than Pitt initially?
I like your phrase "aiming right" as it is a good way to describe the process. I have not had kids play in college but have had a number of friends kids play various sports in college. I think it is a fine line for a parent between supporting a dream and providing perspective regarding the long term. With the exception of very few kids, the athletic career will end in college. Parents need to help remind the kids of this fact and have them look at the long term picture. That is not to say a kid can't pursue the dream and prepare for the future, but at some point they need to realize their future is not athletics. The starting QB at Florida Atlantic, who had a great season, decided to not come back for his final year of eligibility. He is ready to graduate with a civil engineering degree and said he is ready to move on to the next chapter in his life.

Best of luck to MacVitte at Mesa and beyond.
Old 01-24-18, 01:24 PM
All American

For my kid, I would prefer to have them going to a great school and playing for 4 years and getting to enjoy college life with friends rather than just trying to get to a more prestigious sports/football program. Luckily my kiddos agreed and ended up very happy with their choices so far.

That's why I always take these big "signing day" extravaganzas with a grain of salt- I'd venture that more than half (probably a lot more) end up switching schools/stopping to play/not getting much playing time. One exception from that class is Ryan Smith- having a great career at Indiana

Last edited by Kballer; 01-24-18 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 08:40 PM
All Ohio

LEONARD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
For my kid, I would prefer to have them going to a great school and playing for 4 years and getting to enjoy college life with friends rather than just trying to get to a more prestigious sports/football program. Luckily my kiddos agreed and ended up very happy with their choices so far.

That's why I always take these big "signing day" extravaganzas with a grain of salt- I'd venture that more than half (probably a lot more) end up switching schools/stopping to play/not getting much playing time. One exception from that class is Ryan Smith- having a great career at Indiana
Even though were not friends, I pretty much agree with you. At some point the rabbit hole of chasing athletic prowess has to end. For 98.5% of players from Moeller, getting a quality education on the arm is the best to hope. Pitt is a very good school.

You have your whole life to take sh*t super serious. Why not have some fun while you can. Maybe JC is part of that. Maybe he got burned out, going through practice and school in the ACC all the time, just to sit the bench. I hope he finds what he is looking for. I have a lot of respect for him and his senior class for showing a lot of heart to fend off a losing season in 2015. I still remember watching them beat Elder at the Pit that year.
Old 01-25-18, 08:05 AM
All World

Another reason could be incredibly simple: maybe he doesn't want to sit out. Maybe he just wants to play, no matter the level of competition.