Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-11-18, 08:38 PM
All American

madman is on a distinguished road
The OHSAA doesn't recognize Indoor Track and Field as a sport. It might as well be corn hole to them as long as the Outdoor T&F coaches are working with the athletes in in the off-season to improve corn hole tosses.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-18, 07:19 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
The OHSAA doesn't recognize Indoor Track and Field as a sport. It might as well be corn hole to them as long as the Outdoor T&F coaches are working with the athletes in in the off-season to improve corn hole tosses.
Hey now, don't insult the great game of the corn hole toss!
Old 12-12-18, 07:26 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatornation View Post
Athletes being coached
by their outdoor coach MUST compete in one of these indoor meets, unless the
regulation specified in Sports Regulation 8.2.1 is followed.
8.2.1) Students from school teams receiving individual skill/coaching instruction shall not be
required to participate in sessions where individual skill/coaching instruction is provided. A
paid or unpaid school (interscholastic) coach employed by a Board of Education or similar
governing board violates this regulation when he/she suggests or implies that a studentís
chance to be selected for a school (interscholastic) team is contingent upon this participation
If I read this correctly, as long as the "selection" of an outdoor team member does not depend on an athlete's participation in the "receiving" of individual skill/coaching during the indoor season by an unpaid/paid interscholastic coach during the indoor season, then Reg. 8.2.1 is being followed. Hence, that athlete DOESN'T have to compete in one of the indoor meets.

That's the way I read the above rules. How about you?
Old 12-13-18, 12:22 PM
All Region

gatornation is on a distinguished road
SO, don't hold it over their head that not doing indoor track will hurt their position in outdoor track and you can train the heck out of them and not do an indoor meet??? Sounds right to me.
Old 12-13-18, 12:34 PM
Varsity

galesxc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
SO, don't hold it over their head that not doing indoor track will hurt their position in outdoor track and you can train the heck out of them and not do an indoor meet??? Sounds right to me.
Dale Gabor addressed this specifically at last year's rule interpretation meeting at the clinic:

paraphrasing...

If spring coaches are working with athletes prior to the official start date of the OHSAA season, they are "coaching out of season"... which is a violation... unless the kids compete in at least one indoor meet. Coaching kids who are competing indoors is not a violation of indoor regs since indoor track is not within the purview of the OHSAA.
Old 12-13-18, 03:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by galesxc View Post
Dale Gabor addressed this specifically at last year's rule interpretation meeting at the clinic:

paraphrasing...

If spring coaches are working with athletes prior to the official start date of the OHSAA season, they are "coaching out of season"... which is a violation... unless the kids compete in at least one indoor meet. Coaching kids who are competing indoors is not a violation of indoor regs since indoor track is not within the purview of the OHSAA.
That's not how I read the rules as posted above, but I take you're word for it that's what Mr. Gabor communicated.

IMHO, it's a stupid and unproductive rule. Particularly for XC runners that you don't want to burn out by having them do the indoor season, but do want to guide them. And yes, I read that it's only one meet they have to do, but it's still DUMB. And what happens if the kid gets injured and can't do the one meet? What happens then?
Old 12-13-18, 05:48 PM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
That's not how I read the rules as posted above, but I take you're word for it that's what Mr. Gabor communicated.

IMHO, it's a stupid and unproductive rule. Particularly for XC runners that you don't want to burn out by having them do the indoor season, but do want to guide them. And yes, I read that it's only one meet they have to do, but it's still DUMB. And what happens if the kid gets injured and can't do the one meet? What happens then?
100% no way to enforce this rule. You are correct. A kid could train all winter for one meet that he/she intended to do and then get sick or have an injury. He/she made an attempt. Or what about indoor meets being cancelled.

Another factor is that OHSAA says- we don't want to regulate indoors at all and then they actually do regulate indoor by making a stipulation like this. That is the factor that lawyers would eat up in court. The intention by no intention.

And the final factor, who is going to understand the difference from conditioning and training? Say a kid is training with the team, but just conditioning for outdoors without instruction and without intervals. Who is to know the difference? Training is defined by direct instruction of running with a watch running faster intervals (or some stupid crap verbiage) compared to conditioning an athlete. Who will know the difference? And what team in their right mind can or could do intervals during December, January or February in Ohio? Even if you could do intervals, say it is 55 degrees outside, what team in their right mind is doing them right now?
Old 12-14-18, 10:33 PM
Freshman

JCU87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Did you all notice that Nike Midwest will be on a Saturday next year, Nov 16th? Will that cause a decrease in participation? Will schools allow for an excused absence for a non OHSAA event to leave Friday? Travel for some is quite a bit aways.
I'm sure it depends on the individual schools' policies. When my son competed at NXN Regionals, the New Balance Indoor Nationals, and even AAU & CCCNYC races in middle school, the principals of his middle and high schools granted him excused absences each of the 6 or 7 times he competed in these non-school related events. They allow these type of absences with a sufficient notice.
Old 12-15-18, 01:11 PM
All American

madman is on a distinguished road
The principals could have just as easily been excusing your son to attend a play, a cousin's wedding, etc. These events are not OHSAA sanctioned events.