Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Predict the results of the 2017 NBA Finals
Warriors in 7. 2 6.45%
Warriors in 6. 6 19.35%
Warriors in 5 or less. 10 32.26%
Cavs in 5 or less. 1 3.23%
Cavs in 6. 5 16.13%
Cavs in 7. 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-17, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
The Cavs were absolutely unprepared and ill-equipped to handle that level of defensive intensity. The delta in level of difficulty of shots the Cavs were taking versus the shots Golden State was taking was way too high. It was incredible the game was even close at halftime
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-17, 08:57 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
The Cavs were absolutely unprepared and ill-equipped to handle that level of defensive intensity. The delta in level of difficulty of shots the Cavs were taking versus the shots Golden State was taking was way too high. It was incredible the game was even close at halftime
No doubt about it. Even last year when the Cavs won, I remember them having to make much more difficult shots than the Warriors were getting.
Old 06-02-17, 09:05 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Just remember, last years series did not have a close game until game 7.

GSW won by 15, 33 and 11

CLE won by 30, 15, 14 and 4

This absolutely did not surprise me. I expected GS to win game 1 comfortably. Guess what...they will win game 2 also. It's no surprise that GS wins games at home. CLE needs to hold serve at home, and get it to game 7.
Old 06-02-17, 09:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post

GSW won by 15, 33 and 11

This absolutely did not surprise me. I expected GS to win game 1 comfortably. Guess what...they will win game 2 also. It's no surprise that GS wins games at home. CLE needs to hold serve at home, and get it to game 7.
The all-important difference being that GS team did not have Kevin Durant
Old 06-02-17, 09:40 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:

GSW won by 15, 33 and 11

You predicted the Cavs in 6, but they need to hold serve at home to get it to game 7 to win. Okay.

You also referenced the Cavs had a another whole level they'd elevate their game to, the Warriors don't play as a team, and the Cavs bench was an amazing advantage.
Old 06-02-17, 09:51 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Where were the Warriors lacking, EP? What do you see them improving upon as the series continues? IMO they played close to their best ball, which they do with great regularity.
bump to bring this to the new page
Old 06-02-17, 09:59 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
bump to bring this to the new page
I think getting more scoring from Klay and more overall involvement from Green would qualify as all cylinders, imo. I've seen them play a lot better frankly.
Old 06-02-17, 10:04 AM
All Yappi

I thought the Warriors missed a lot of decent looks that they don't always miss. Of course, those misses were negated by the Cavs getting destroyed on the boards and in the turnover margin
Old 06-02-17, 10:06 AM
All American

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
As I peruse the thoughts of last night, I'm amused at the complaining about officiating. The Cavs have, and have had, the one guy who gets away with the most, and that's LeBron. Let's just leave it at that.

Other thoughts...

The Warriors just have too many weapons, take away the Draymond Green suspension/ Bogut injury and Steph being banged up at the end of the playoffs last year, and the Warriors are going for a 3peat right now.

I actually thought LB and Kyrie played pretty well last night, especially in the first half. How many circus shots did Kyrie put in to keep the Cavs in the game. LB was getting to the free throw line (he was the only one). They were only down 8 at half and seemed to keep themselves viable.

KD (and I'm not a big fan of the NBA super teams) is just a difficult matchup. LB can't guard him long term, but the Cavs don't have anyone else who can guard him. Not unusual, but it's just the truth. Now the sidebar is that Curry can play off Durrant, Durrant off Curry, throw in Thompson and Green.

When you add to that the Cavs inability of having any bench guys who can guard (Williams/ Jefferson/ Korver) and you have a recipe for basically LB/ Irving/ Love to have to outscore the Warriors over 48 minutes. The Warriors got no offense out of Thompson/ Livingston/ Green and still won easily. Last year, the Warriors may lose that game. They needed Klay and Steph to have big games to win last year. With Durant, it provides another weapon, and takes the pressure off other players.

I thought Iggy provided some big minutes early on when the Warriors were struggling.
Old 06-02-17, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
You predicted the Cavs in 6, but they need to hold serve at home to get it to game 7 to win. Okay.

You also referenced the Cavs had a another whole level they'd elevate their game to, the Warriors don't play as a team, and the Cavs bench was an amazing advantage.
Hopefully they steal one and win in six so they can win it at home.

And yes, this was simply one game. I don't really think anyone expected a much different result, did they?

You live to troll me on Yappi and it's funny.
Old 06-02-17, 10:10 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
I thought the Warriors missed a lot of decent looks that they don't always miss. Of course, those misses were negated by the Cavs getting destroyed on the boards and in the turnover margin
Right. It was their worst shooting % in the entire playoffs. Clearly neither team played their best and Cleveland played terribly. The warriors had over 100 shots last night. If they shoot anywhere near their playoff average (just over 50%), that is a 35-40 point loss. The difference in the game was the Cavs played very poorly.

Game logs for the warriors pretty much shows what I'm talking about. They shot around 55% in the last 3 games vs San Antonio.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../2017/gamelog/
Old 06-02-17, 10:11 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Hopefully they steal one and win in six so they can win it at home.

And yes, this was simply one game. I don't really think anyone expected a much different result, did they?

You live to troll me on Yappi and it's funny.
You expected the Cavs to play this poorly, despite all the advantages you claimed they had? Obviously you're lying.
Old 06-02-17, 10:14 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
As I peruse the thoughts of last night, I'm amused at the complaining about officiating. The Cavs have, and have had, the one guy who gets away with the most, and that's LeBron. Let's just leave it at that.

Other thoughts...

The Warriors just have too many weapons, take away the Draymond Green suspension/ Bogut injury and Steph being banged up at the end of the playoffs last year, and the Warriors are going for a 3peat right now.

I actually thought LB and Kyrie played pretty well last night, especially in the first half. How many circus shots did Kyrie put in to keep the Cavs in the game. LB was getting to the free throw line (he was the only one). They were only down 8 at half and seemed to keep themselves viable.

KD (and I'm not a big fan of the NBA super teams) is just a difficult matchup. LB can't guard him long term, but the Cavs don't have anyone else who can guard him. Not unusual, but it's just the truth. Now the sidebar is that Curry can play off Durrant, Durrant off Curry, throw in Thompson and Green.

When you add to that the Cavs inability of having any bench guys who can guard (Williams/ Jefferson/ Korver) and you have a recipe for basically LB/ Irving/ Love to have to outscore the Warriors over 48 minutes. The Warriors got no offense out of Thompson/ Livingston/ Green and still won easily. Last year, the Warriors may lose that game. They needed Klay and Steph to have big games to win last year. With Durant, it provides another weapon, and takes the pressure off other players.

I thought Iggy provided some big minutes early on when the Warriors were struggling.
14red thinks LeBron and Kyrie had good games. I don't like Cleveland, but even I don't dislike them enough to flat out lie that they played well.
Old 06-02-17, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I can't see enough of Durant strolling down the middle of the lane uncontested while Cavs rush to the perimeter to guard shooters. Damn people. it's still inside out when you're outmanned on the break.

As I said earlier in the week- Durant's the difference. Durant>Korver/Williams.
Old 06-02-17, 10:22 AM
Fake coolin' off

Yeah, the warriors got a lot better for 35+ mins a game. I'm not even sure the Cavs bench is better than the Warriors anyway.
Old 06-02-17, 10:29 AM
All American

Quote:
I think getting more scoring from Klay and more overall involvement from Green would qualify as all cylinders, imo. I've seen them play a lot better frankly.
I'm sure that will happen, but KD and Curry likely will not score as many points as they did. The pieces will be a bit different, but the game last night was a very good representation of them as a team. To expect a lot more out of them would not be accurate is my point.
Old 06-02-17, 10:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Right. It was their worst shooting % in the entire playoffs. Clearly neither team played their best and Cleveland played terribly. The warriors had over 100 shots last night. If they shoot anywhere near their playoff average (just over 50%), that is a 35-40 point loss. The difference in the game was the Cavs played very poorly.

Game logs for the warriors pretty much shows what I'm talking about. They shot around 55% in the last 3 games vs San Antonio.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../2017/gamelog/
True, but you already mentioned the TO differential and offensive boards. It's unlikely they shoot better AND have that TO differential AND offensive rebounding production.
Old 06-02-17, 10:32 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Read GS missed 15 shots within 8 ft. Lot of missed layups in the first half.
All American

Kyrie and LeBron may have been the only ones to really showed up but they still played poorly overall. WAY too many turnovers from both of them.
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
I'm sure that will happen, but KD and Curry likely will not score as many points as they did. The pieces will be a bit different, but the game last night was a very good representation of them as a team. To expect a lot more out of them would not be accurate is my point.
Did you look at the game logs? They probably played their worst offensive game of the playoffs. It's pretty black and white when you review the stats compared to their other playoff games.
Old 06-02-17, 10:35 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would be shocked to see Klay score 6 or less the rest of the series. And Draymond didn't have a point until near the end of the 3rd Qtr. GS had two players in double figures for the game. I do think this will be one of the better games Curry has and Durant likely won't go for 38 every game (though he has the ability to), but the slack will be picked up elsewhere.
Old 06-02-17, 10:40 AM
All Region

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
The first few GSW possessions of the game told me the Cavs were in trouble. Lots of standing around on D led to GSW offensive rebounds by Zaza and Klay. If the Cavs don't control the defensive boards and limit GSW possessions, they can't win. The standing around also led to many uncontested layups. How are they not fully motivated for a max effort for Game 1?

Add this to the mix. 20 Cavs turnovers, zero Cavs steals, and poor rebounding yielded 106 shots for GSW. 106!! Even on a bad shooting night like game 1, you can't give that team 106 shots.

Some good news. The Cavs can't play any worse.
- Cavs won't have 20 turnovers and no steals again in this series.
- Bench should be better than 2-13 from 3-point land in every game, track record shows it.
- Cavs should certainly play harder on defense. That was embarrassing for them.
- Tristan will likely show up. please.

Series isn't over by a long shot. There were blowouts both ways last year also.
Old 06-02-17, 10:44 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
I would be shocked to see Klay score 6 or less the rest of the series. And Draymond didn't have a point until near the end of the 3rd Qtr. GS had two players in double figures for the game. I do think this will be one of the better games Curry has and Durant likely won't go for 38 every game (though he has the ability to), but the slack will be picked up elsewhere.
Right, they will just be more balanced and efficient as a whole, when hitting on all cylinders.
Old 06-02-17, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
I still think the series goes six, but GS adding Durant ended the Cavs window. I thought that when the signing occurred, and it was driven home last night. Just too many great players for the Cavs to slow down. For the Cavs to win, Kyrie and LBJ have to each average about 35ppg, and Love can never have any of those MIA on offense nights he sometimes has.
Old 06-02-17, 11:29 AM
All American

I just disagree, EP. They can and will play better at times but to expect significant improvement across the board (not just offensive output) would be overstating their normal level of play IMO. This game looked and felt very much like a lot of their previous 12 playoff games IMO.
Old 06-02-17, 11:31 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
I just disagree, EP. They can and will play better at times but to expect significant improvement across the board (not just offensive output) would be overstating their normal level of play IMO.
It's okay, you don't have to agree with me. It just makes you wrong, but that's okay.
Old 06-02-17, 11:37 AM
All American

No, I'm correct.
Old 06-02-17, 11:40 AM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
No, I'm correct.
Except for facts and statistics that say otherwise, I agree 100%.
Old 06-02-17, 11:43 AM
All American

The more appropriate stat would probably be the score of the game as that includes stats beyond simply shooting.
Old 06-02-17, 11:44 AM
All American

You're wrong, I'm right.